Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    If I am not mistaken, most signal components that contribute to imaging are located above the operating range of a sub crossed over at 80hz. If a sub is producing any significant ouput above 80hz, it will be localizeable no matter where it is located. This is why I think crossover points, and slopes are extremely important when trying to integrate subs with other speakers. As Doc Greene has said many times, crossing over a sub at 80hz with a 24dpo crossover will make that sub invisible as long as there are no distortion coming from the subl. If this is the case, then it probably wouldn't make much difference which main speaker it is located next to. As far as I can ascertain there are no spatial properties our ears can detect below 80hz except spaciousness. You may be able to detect the direction of the pressure wave on the body and skin, but not at the ears as far as I know.

I would say his individual room acoustics may play a role in why he may peceive that his sub sounds better positioned closer to the right speaker. Pehaps the sub may blend better because of the way the sub couples with the room modes on that side of the room as opposed to the left side of the room. Maybe the answer to why isn't found on the recording side at all, or any argument based on subwoofer position in respect to any main speaker. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 11-30-2005 at 05:14 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well TtT...

...there may be many reasons, on that count I have no argument...in fact I have no argumentative stance in that part of the thread whatsoever...as I have said, simply a plausible reason IMO...without being there, taking measurements and listening, it's all conjecture and was presented as such.

Much like Monster making name-brand wiring a lucrative cash-cow, I have seen it written in some quarters, that it really wasn't until Bose began to "popularize" the concept of smaller speakers coupled with a third lo-freq unit, that the concept of a subwoofer really caught on with the rest of the industry and consumers...not to say they originated the idea, as I'm fairly certain there were others who preceded their efforts...they just made it palatable, in fact de rigueur, for both the general public and audiopiles alike.

So...while some recommend corner placement, others disagree with that premise in whole or in part...I am of the opinion that since I'm paying for stereo, I want stereo no matter how ludicrous my reasoning may seem to the consensus. I prefer full range loudspeakers that require no debate re: placement of yet a third box...forced to compromise, I would place a sub somewhere near the center...for me, a better option would be two units placed in close proximity of the "sats" feeling that such placement would allow for phase and time coherence to be a non-issue or at least more easily worked with to that end.

jimHJJ(...but as usual, that's just me...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

I am curious...

Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Thank you Sir T, for the clarification.
    ...what clarification did you derive from TtTs well-intentioned attempt at intercession?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information