Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Finally....the peace of mind

Well hello fellow music mates.

I have finally finished it, and am at a state of peace of mind. I really like the finished work and this audio system has been 5 years in the building now. Yesterday i installed my new moveable wall and made some new cables, adjusted the EQ settings and sorted my music.

I am proud of my system and would like to take a moment to show some pictures of the finished results and how I designed it, what I did on the room acoustics, power filtering and setup side.

The cornerstone and the pride of this system is the beautiful and fully restored and tuned Apogee DIVA Reference,

seen here.

The big power amplifier in the middle is a Usher Audio Technology 1.5 Reference (to be replaced with the 2.5 when the next paycheck comes). The power required by the DIVA is massive and the more the better. Currently it is throwing about 400 wpc in the DIVA which is ok, but to get the full enjoyment and dynamics it needs more. The Usher 1.5 is very musical and very high in resolution. It has no character but can sometimes be a bit on the dry side, which is taken care with power filters.

Here is a shot of the power filter and power amp

The Preamp is a RM Eng. RM40 Preamp which was custom designed for a Audiophile in Holland. When he sadly past away, I became the new lucky owner. It is a 3 piece Preamp. It has a tube power supply, tube phono stage and the preamp itself is also tube based. The sound is very neutral, lightning fast and sometimes too detailed. But this is wonderfull, since the DIVA is only limited by the equipment and I am a detail lover.

Here is a shot of the preamp.

The CD Transport is a trusty TEAC VRDS T-1 with the VRDS disc clamping system and Philips CDM9 Laser, which is used inside the big Wadias and Krells but for a lot less money. The DAC is a Wadia 12, which is one of the smaller versions from Wadia, but a very musical one.

Here is a pic of the pair.

The rest of the system is comprised of a modified Rega Planar 3 with Sub Chassy, Goldring 1055 System and Acrylic Platter. I also use a Pro Ject 1.2e Turntable with a basic ELAC 790HGS System. Along others are the Behringer 8024, 2496 and a Marantz DVD Player.

The wall I put up yesterday is incredibly good looking, and slightly dampens the rear wall. I sit 11ft away from the DIVA’s with first reflection point absorbers. I also have stacked absorbers about 6ft tall and 4ft wide in the center behind the wall to break up the back wave.

Here is a shot of the absorbers

I am really happy to have completed my beginning journey and only spin tunes and relax now. Thanks for looking J

Lots of music but not enough time for it all

very nice Flo, very nice.

Good stuff. Excellent looking system. I am sure it sounds even better.

Congrats,

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Mutant from table 9
    Okay, first I don't believe your truely finished. If any believes you I got a bridge to sell them.

Have you ever metered or otherwise figured how many of those 400 watts are actually being used? I ask because my amp has a fairly accurate watt meter (I cross checked it with a decible meter and the published sensitivity of my speakers) and I have only taken it past 30 watts like two times. I know people have always suggested that on most box speakers your rarely using more than a watt, but I was still surprised to see it in actual practice. But, I figure the Diva will perform differently.

Also, since I know your new to vinyl, you should be careful placing anything on your dust cover. It will get scratched to hell that way. I actually have my turntable under glass. I have to lift one piece of glass, then the dust cover. That keeps everything sharp looking.

*looks at watch* i wonder how many hours this is gonna last?

cam
    Ya, but does all that gear sound better then my Paradigm speakers HA HA HA. You stated in the past that you would listen to a track with your system and you would literally cry, when I listen to mine I smile from ear to ear. Maybe when you listen to your system, your crying because you spend way too much and I'm smiling because my system sounds great and I didn't break the bank. I'm just having some fun with you there Flo.
    Last edited by cam; 06-30-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Wow nice looking and I'll bet sounding system.
    I agree that it is not over...it is never over.
    Thanks for showing and telling us what you have done.
    TV: LG 50PC3D plasma tv
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V659
    DVD: Philips DVP5960
    Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 3 v.4, surround/Paradigm Atoms v.4, center/Paradigm CC290 v.5, sub/Paradigm PDR-12
    Remote: Harmony 659

Great Job Flo, Beautiful set-up, workmanship, and all the pieces well thought out. Also
    nice room acoustics added. I would love to hear ERUPTION on that. Heaven. One
    day I hope to get were you are, I'm studying, paying attention, and always putting away
    $, when possible. Thanks for the show.

To Eric: Thanks, it took a lot of work and dedication and i am happy its finally at this state

To Dave: Thanks Dave, the electronics is something that will continue to grow but in a slow rate. It doesnt really sound, it shows the music in a visual way and its impossible to describe the sound since it adepts to the musc.

To SlumpBuster: I know, i know but everything will slow down now. We have metered it with a Accuphase P500 and the DIVA sucked down 350 watts *BIG EYES*... Yeeks! The DIVA is strange, as you can use a 50 watt amp and get close to 100db in the room, but the speaker changes and becomes much more open, almost limitless dynamics with SPL's up to 114 *measured in my room on Krell MDA500's. The cover is in ok shape, but i will take your tip and remove the struff from it :-)

To audio_dude: I dont know either.

To cam: Hehe, i once cried on the Phantom of the Opera, the DIVA can do that to you.

To Kai: Thanks and i agree its never over, but it will slow down considerably. The system is exeptional and simply breathes and lives...

To likeitloud: Thanks! You are welcome to come on over with your disc ;-) It takes a LOT of work and time and i have had no life for the past 5 years :-)

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Gorgeous, Flo. Obviously, the electronics are first rate and the new dividers make what had once been a visually busy room very serene. Hats off to you for perservering on the long road. Iwish you many hours of enjoyment--though I'm sure that's already underway

Cheers to ya,
    M
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Gorgeous, Flo. Obviously, the electronics are first rate and the new dividers make what had once been a visually busy room very serene. Hats off to you for perservering on the long road. Iwish you many hours of enjoyment--though I'm sure that's already underway

Cheers to ya,
    M
    Thank you very much. Yes, everything is first rate. The room is fantastic and i am so relaxed and calm that it is almost scary. I am currently playing Divox Antiqua- Concerto Stravagante and i am speechless. Its .....stunning.

that is possibly the most impressive setup i've ever seen!! congratgulations!! u must be the proudest person on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    that is possibly the most impressive setup i've ever seen!! congratgulations!! u must be the proudest person on earth!

depends on who you are comparing the stereo to, all my other 14 year old friends stare at my stereo cause all they have is cheap mini systems and boomboxes...

i've got about $400 - $500 in stuff, only the speakers are new, the other stuff (amp and tuner) are circa 70's...

my next upgrade will be the amp to a denon DRA-295 receiver, then soon after a trade-up with the speakers to the paradigm mini monitors...

Florian,

Looks great and no doubt sounds that way. Yes, I'm envious. Speaking of which, I did pass up the chance to listen to and buy some low end Apoges when I bought my Magneplanars -- I regret I didn't listen to them.

One thing though: your equipment is all on very low shelves. Is that on purpose? An old guy like me couldn't stand all that bending over.

Now you have to think some more about computer play back. Why not when everything else is pretty much perfect.

Some great ones out there

Florian's is great for sure, but there are other nice ones. Here, for example ...
    http://homepage.mac.com/mberard2/PhotoAlbum1.html

Flo, get some of those stands!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally....the peace of mind-mberadsystem.jpg  

Then again, there's Mikel's system

This from Mike Lavigne at Positive Feedback ...
    http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html

Even Flo might be eating his heart out on this one. I seem to recall he spent something like $150 grand on the room, never mind the system
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally....the peace of mind-milel_system02.jpg  

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Florian, an excellent job by any measure.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

indeed, guess i'll be seeing alot of impressive setups here (quite new to this forum) but @audio_dude: i've got the same effect with my friends (i'm 15 -nearly 16 years old) and all my friends got a little kitchen radio to do with and when you see my advents then it might get you a little jalous (for my friends) so i know what you're talking about. for the rest, i'll be upgrading to a denon DRA-455 in a short time because my crappy yamaha broke again. i hope the denon will do better.

too bad none of my friends (possebly my whole school) doesn't understands the power and essence of music, especcially things like a decent setup and decent music (like jazz, lounge, alternative, world and so on) seem to be forgotten these days.(at least by the average teenager)

Thank you all, and yes there are some very good systems out there! Equipment wise there is still a whole other range that is better then mine. But i am willing to put up the speakers against any other system in the world! I get my ideas and designs from statement systems and have learned a lot from people with better systems then me. But most other are twice my age and over, and with 23 years old i still have a lot of room left.

Cheers

Flo

To Feanor: I can use my laptop for testing that. Maybe ill buy one of those SB's next month for the fun of it. But i has to be wireless. I cant stand cables anymore :-)
    Last edited by Florian; 07-01-2006 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Florian,

Looks great and no doubt sounds that way. Yes, I'm envious. Speaking of which, I did pass up the chance to listen to and buy some low end Apoges when I bought my Magneplanars -- I regret I didn't listen to them.
    Well, you still have the chance everynow and then to buy one. If there is one for sale near you, then i suggest you check them out. Even the smallest Apogee (Stage) has a resolution thats better then the MG20.1.
    One thing though: your equipment is all on very low shelves. Is that on purpose? An old guy like me couldn't stand all that bending over.
    Well, i dont mind since the electronics are permanently on (exept for the big power amp) and i listen to my music cd's all the way through. But i am saving money for a new rack from Lovan, but the darn thing is 600 bucks :-(

Now you have to think some more about computer play back. Why not when everything else is pretty much perfect.
    I will give that a try, next month. I am going to buy the big power amp for the Apogees. Maybe i get lucky and find a Accuphase P500 too.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Florian's is great for sure, but there are other nice ones. Here, for example ...
    http://homepage.mac.com/mberard2/PhotoAlbum1.html

Flo, get some of those stands!!
    Is that a hardwood floor I see. Might need some rugs eh? Let's say on the floor on the walls on the ceiling on the widows on the doors. Just giving ya crap. No looks good but is it a little bright sounding?
    Outlaw Audio: Model 990 Preamp/Processor
    Outlaw Audio: Model 7500 5-channel Balanced Amplifier
    SEAS: Excel Thor Main Speakers
    SEAS: Excel Froy Mk3 Center Speaker
    SEAS: Excel Odin Mk3 Surround Speakers

Well, the picture shows a bit of the floor. But Apogees exhibit very little floor and ceeling reflections and also load the room equally (thanks to the fullrange dipole radiation pattern and the linesource height). The room is pretty darn good (exept the size), not overdamped and not too light. Also the system is EQ'd to pretty flat.

Cheers

Flo

PS: Let me know when your in Germany, then stop on by for a listen. A forum member is visiting me from Holland today ;-)

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    and with 23 years old i still have a lot of room left.
    Holy crap, did you win a lottery, full time pimp or deal drugs being able to afford all that??

Either way, it looks great.... and expensive.

I hope you wont marry a girl who wants to replace it with a bose system.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Flo, you have struck that balance between proper audio setup and modern decor, to a tee..
    Very nice system. You are proof to everyone that a good sounding system can look as good as it sounds - and let's face it, looks ARE important.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information