Forum Regular

Does new Speaker need to be break in like new car?

As you all know I just bought a new set of MB Quart floor standing speaker model QL S830. The speaker sounded amazing when I played my first song in light piano melody and vocal from Jacky Chaung. Then for my second song I pop in Alicia Key. Again the piano part sounded amazing but when it hits couple deep bass that when it all started to go wrong. Now Alicia sounded like she is having a sore throat from a bad cold.
    I immediately called the saleman at YAWA Online. The saleman told me its fine and I just need to break in the speaker for it to play properly. He told me to play it in medium volume for at least 2 hours a day and its should be breakin in 4 weeks. Is this bul or for real? Please help, thanks.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You'll get differring opinion on this but it depends on the speakers -- 30 hours is what is ioften sighted as a break-in period. And if somehting is very very bad it won;t be fixed with break-in -- However, what you should consider is that it could be the cd...not all are recorded very well and your speaker may be telling you this. A lack of amplifier power can be another -- speaker's impedence often dip in the bass making it tough to drive -- an underpowered amp would then make the bass sound flabby possibly.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I tend to lean more towards the "bull" camp than the "for real" camp, but I'm still very much on the fence here.
    Most studies I've read on the subject come back either "no", "inconclusive", or "yes, but not enough to make an audible difference".
    One would think with moving parts however that break-in is at least possible - makes sense, so I don't rule it out despite all the studies.

That being said, I'd never buy a speaker that wasn't right out of the box and required me to break it in...what are you breaking in exactly? Voice coils, cones, magnets, or your familiarity with the speaker's sound?

I think RGA summed it up well, it could be a bad recording, could be a lack of power. Often low bass frequencies will stretch a speaker beyond its capability and can cause bad side-effects at other frequencies...usually only at louder volumes though.
    Try some other music, see if you notice any more issues.

Forum Regular

Speaker Breakin

Quote Originally Posted by m500
    As you all know I just bought a new set of MB Quart floor standing speaker model QL S830. The speaker sounded amazing when I played my first song in light piano melody and vocal from Jacky Chaung. Then for my second song I pop in Alicia Key. Again the piano part sounded amazing but when it hits couple deep bass that when it all started to go wrong. Now Alicia sounded like she is having a sore throat from a bad cold.
    I immediately called the saleman at YAWA Online. The saleman told me its fine and I just need to break in the speaker for it to play properly. He told me to play it in medium volume for at least 2 hours a day and its should be breakin in 4 weeks. Is this bul or for real? Please help, thanks.
    I am not going to address the speaker breakin issue. I will say, however, if they sound bad to you now, get rid of them. They are not going to sound much different, if any, in 4 weeks. Get a pair of speakers that you are instantly satisfied with. Usually your gut reaction is correct and is your best choice. A good speaker always sounds good, new or not.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I am going to add what the maker of my speaker thinks on this because it's an opinion -- and it's the sense I get from them not exact words. To Audio Note it seems that a lot of it counts to the driver surround material -- Peter Q when asked about the AN K (which uses a rubber surround) said there is no real break in with the speaker because it uses a rubber which changes not at all -- rubber is a severe compromise for him and he doesn;t like it because it to him doesn't do certain things sonically -- forgive me it was 2.5 years ago and I don;t remember what the actual complaint was that he had. Suffice it to say he wanted the more exopensive foam surround but the supplier would not sell him the drivers unless he ordered in 10,000 shipments. So he was forced to go to rubber for the driver. The foam surrounds are 200-500 hours to really get it going. Now, as an owner I vcan tell you they sounded very good out of the box and IMO they ShOULD sound good out of the box.

Whether 500 hours will make them better or not is not really an issue -- if they do transform into something vastly bette then super -- I think they have steadied themselves better in the bass power envelope. The problem is that I've adjusted positions several times so I have no way to be sure whether it's solely break-in or positioning room changes etc.

Also to refute that a bit I had B&W speakers which hadrubber surrounds and made loud popping noises for the first 2-4hours and then settled down and never did it again.

The go easy on the brakes of your car for the first 1000kph doesn't quite work directly but I get the link they are trying to make.

Forum Regular
    Room placement?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Out of the box, my P'digm 20's sounded very bad. I'm not kidding. They sounded like a cheap boombox (or a good transitor radio...) for about 30 seconds (it seemed like forever). Just flat, thin sound. Then they sounded more like a budget line of speakers for the next few minutes. After 10-15 min they started to approach the sound I bought them for. A few hours later and any further break in might have been psychological. 2-3 days tops. I did leave them playing moderate-loud for about 4-5 hours the first day when I went out, But other than that just normal moderate to low volume listening.

So, I believe in speaker break in. I think most of the obvious break in occurs quickly. I can see maybe a few weeks, but it would be hard to know for sure if it was real or between the ears. 4 weeks seems like a long time to break in, but I do think that this gives time for the mental break in as well. I'm sure that between the store and home, the sound you think you bought gets better an better in your mind, and the reality never quite matches the mental image when you set it all up. A few weeks of listening is what it takes to know if you like the sound or not. If someone hadn't warned be about breakin as I put the boxes in my car, I would've returned my speakers immediately.

I found that 15min is all that is needed

If it takes longer than that get rid of them is my opinion.

In my 40 or so years of buying speakers I have found that some do change (improve) their sound over time. I does depend on the surround and the spider suspension. All planar and ES speakers that I have owned needed a break in period.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    It could just be your interpretation of the speaker at the given time that's not having it sound too good, heck, I hate the sound my midrange gives off...but...when I'm listening to mariah carey or amy sky I don't even know that I have a midrange and it sounds real good (singers voices go mostly through my midranges). When I'm paying attention to each speaker I hate how they sound, except the bass. But put them a few feet away and forget that they're speakers and I've got myself an excellent sound field.
    Anyways, I'd say break-in won't change too much and to just break them in on low volumes with the treble and bass on a bit higher than normal to avoid the wear and tear, I put a beating on my speakers needlessly breaking them in at volume, they'll break in whether you break them in or not, just my opinion and I'm not an expert so maybe some need break in and others don't but I'd never again try to break my speakers in...and if I did it wouldn't be like the hurtin I put on my speakers, they still have scars from my so-called break ins, I almost killed them and am not sure how they survived, just trying to say to say if I were you I'd probably break them in very gently. Also wait a few days and see if your perception or perspective changes. Good Luck

Forum Regular
    I added some Focal Utopia speakers to my car about 2 years ago, because I was amazingly impressed with their sound in the store. However, once I got them in my car I wanted to cry. For the first month or so, the sound was harsh and fatiguing. Now they sound brillantly, no more ear bleading. I lend the transformation to break-in.
    -Shwamdoo

Forum Regular
    there is no doubt in my mind that speaker break-in exists and can dramatically improve/ change the sound of your speakers. Years ago, I purchased a pair of NHT 1.3A's, but a NIB pair was not on hand, so the seller lent me his demo models. They sounded great at home and about a week later, my new ones arrived. When I first hooked them up, I was dumbfounded by what I heard - totally flat, uninvolving, weak bass etc etc. They were completely different than the broken-in pair that I had been using previously.

Once they broke in, all was fine and dandy! Wish I had never sold them.

I have experienced both. After building 4 speakers they seemed harsh on the high end and were very weak on the base side. In a few days they seemed to settle down to a warmer sound with more thump.
    A few weeks ago I bought a set of Infinity speakers. They sounded great right out of the box and have not changed as far as I can tell.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular

Problem was the Yamaha RX-V650 Integrated receiver.

For me, the real problem was not breaking in but my Yamaha receiver RX-V650. My V650 just doesn't have enough juice to powered my MBQ S830. Its put out soo much distortion when there are a lot of backround music/bass. I guess its trying too hard at it. How was I identify the issue?

I spend a whole month rewiring, configuring OSD basically tackle every component individually. Eveything is fine and I can't find anything wrong with any of my component except I suspecting somehow my V650 just not compatible with my MBQ S830. Then I contacted David at YawaOnline and got a deal to help me out with purchacing a NAD C352 with full refund garanteed if problem is not my under powered received as David at yawaonline believed to be as well.

I brought it home over the weekend and hook it up. As soon as I turn on the power the mystery is solved and bass is coming thru without the help of my woofer. I disconnect my woofer for the original sound I refered. My speaker now sounds wonderful with no distortion at all. The only draw back is that its so clear and untampered. I'll need to get use to hear all the imperfection from my CDs.
    Last edited by m500; 05-09-2005 at 05:27 AM.

Forum Regular
    yes I agree with Ruadmaa , that problem with the ' bad cold voice' will not go away, even after 20,000 hours of break in time (if the speaker lasts that long of course). It is imo defenetly not due to the speaker not being broken in, the salesman is doing his job, that is, sell a product, make a profit and never want to hear from the customer again. Not all salesman are like this, but ide say there are alot out there

AR Newbie Registered Member

Mb Quart

Just Read Your Dilemma,to Be Honest You Will Have To Wait Weeks For A Proper Run In Time And The More Expensive The Speaker The Longer And Harder It Is To Run The Drivers In.it Must Be The Cruelest Thing Than Can Happen, When You Pull Your Lovely New System Out Of The Box.i Change My Speakers Quite Often So Trust Me Its Happened Numerous Times.you Will Have To Be Patient Its Difficult When You Are Hearing Piercing Treble And Bass That Will Not Reach The Lower Notes.the Guy In The Shop Is Correct.on The Other Hand If You Buy Cheap Speakers Or A Cheap System No Run In Time Is Need With Cheap Crappy Paper Cones,hope This Was Of Some Benefit

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I tend to lean more towards the "bull" camp than the "for real" camp, but I'm still very much on the fence here.
    Most studies I've read on the subject come back either "no", "inconclusive", or "yes, but not enough to make an audible difference".
    One would think with moving parts however that break-in is at least possible - makes sense, so I don't rule it out despite all the studies.

That being said, I'd never buy a speaker that wasn't right out of the box and required me to break it in...what are you breaking in exactly? Voice coils, cones, magnets, or your familiarity with the speaker's sound?

I think RGA summed it up well, it could be a bad recording, could be a lack of power. Often low bass frequencies will stretch a speaker beyond its capability and can cause bad side-effects at other frequencies...usually only at louder volumes though.
    Try some other music, see if you notice any more issues.

I'm with you,i'm a fence rider on this also but what could it hurt,30 hours of breakin. I've never noticed any of my speakers getting better as time goes on.
    Look & Listen

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Break-in is for real.

All of the quality speakers that I've owned required break in.

1) Magnepan 3.6r; Magnepans ALWAYS sound much better after 100-400hours of break in. The bass goes lower, there's more of it, and the speakers sound blends better between the drivers.

2) Gallo Reference 3; This speaker uses an engineered damping material that needs 70-150 hours minimum to reach equilibrium. The Tweeter changes it's responce dramatically over this time.

3) JAS Orsus; This speaker has changed quite a lot over the last week of playing it a moderately loud volume. A full review is in the works, and I have been paying close attention to this speaker. So far I've logged about 40 hrs on them and the midrange has especially opened up. Bass has really bloomed too. This speaker, along with the Totem Mani-2 have changed my views of what dynamic speakers with smaller woofers are capable of.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Tuna Lover
    The human ear is a wonderful thing...you DON'T notice the change, because it's so subtle...but it's there; at least on more expensive speakers.
    ...better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. Abe Lincoln

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LVMF
    The human ear is a wonderful thing...you DON'T notice the change, because it's so subtle...but it's there; at least on more expensive speakers.
    Hmmm, you don't notice it, thus it exists... So much for the wisdom of Abe.

Forum Regular
    From the sound of his problem with the Alica Keys cd, it sounds like it is just the recording. AKA it could have been mixed better. R&B records and most pop music today are generally mixed very bright and boomy compared to what most audiophiles would be enjoying. And not to mention the compression. It sounds like the low end in the mix is swallowing the mids. This happens all the time. Its part of the "American Sound." I'm sure some of you have heard of this. Its the same with American vs. British speakers. American (Bose, Cerwin Vega, JBL etc.) = Boomy and bright. British (Kef, B&W, and 1,000 others) = clear glassy, open top end, and sometimes "slow" bass (this means weak or not-quick bass) Its obvious to those of us who have worked with European engineers in the music world that some of them do things quite differently. Of course as the years go on, lines get blurred. Its not as obvious as it used to be, because the way we make music is more homogonized now. But its still there.

I had been mixing live sound for almost 10 years and thought I had it going on and one day I worked with a British engineer during a festival and he totally schooled me, and everybody else. I started picking his brain as to why his mix totally spanked every mix we had had on every band all weekend and he said it was mainly how we mix the low end. You see, in America, people want BASS. You go to most concerts and you hear kick drum and vocals and little else really. All the mids are completely washed out by the bass. And after that, you can't make out the words, so they brighten up the vocals till its shrill. Well, he told me he builds his mixed from the vocals down. That is, puts up the vocals, tweaks, then guitars, tweaks, then drums and bass. Even how he mixes the drums was totally different. Most guys use Kick and the close mics (toms). He uses the overheads primarily. Its totally a different approach. to this day, after 15 years of mixing, the best mixes I've every hear have ALWAYS been by British engineers. Its amazing really.

I'd say its not the speakers, but the the mix. When the bass kicks in, it swallows up the mids in her vocal because:

A: It was mixed to boom.

B: It was over compressed during mastering and the bottom end is pulling everything down when the compressor reacts to the bass dropping in cause the whole thing is squeezed to #$%& so it'll sound good on the radio. I hate that #$&!.

Just play something else that's been recorded better, and I'm sure you'r problems will go away. : ) Lite one up of whatever you like to smokem pour a glass of whatever you drink, put on "Kind of Blue" or "Whats Going On" sit back and the speakers will dissappear !

/rant off

AR Newbie Registered Member

By now you probably know!

Only you can decide.My experience says yes, speakers definately need a burn in period.Wharfedale recommended 200+ hrs for thier Emerald series,and after 400 hrs they were like a totally differtent speaker from the 1st day I listened to them.I recently purchased a pair of Von Schweikert and after 500 hrs they now sound like $10,000 speakers.Huge difference!
    Good Listening!

Thread Information