Forum Regular

can someone tell me what a blown speaker sounds like?

I was hoping someone could tell me when you know that you have blown a speaker? will it sound like crap all the time or just sometimes on certain frequencies? does it get a crackle sound to it? today my GF got this smart idea to see how loud my stereo (yamaha rx-v1500 and psb image 4t towers) goes. she cranked the receiver right up to +16.5 but only for a few seconds. it seems like once and awhile in some songs on certain frequencies there is kind of a schreech crackle type sound but not all the time. would this be a blown speaker? im gona be pissed if it is!!! i just got this 2 days ago and the speakers had under an hour of play on them! what do you think guys, do i need new speakers here (and a new girlfriend)? any help is appreciated. thanks!

Suspended
    It sounds like you may have blown it. If it is not totally blown you will notice it more during certain notes but it will get progressively worse. Like if it's the woofer you may not notice it at lower volumes until a hard bass note hits or you turn it up some then you will hear the speaker rattle and distort when the bass hits.

As far as the girlfriend, let's not be hasty. What kind of options and features does she have? Remember the speakers are under warranty. Some things you want blown and some things you don't, so let's maintain damage control here.

Forum Regular
    will these speakers be under warrenty from the store or from the company? I know I got an extended 6 year warrenty on the receiver but the guy didnt say anything about the speakers. this was from a&b sound. and they still cover for warrenty even from turning them up too loud? is there any certain thing i can do to find out if they are blown or not? or any certain songs i can play?

thanks for the help!

Forum Regular
    It has been my experience that a blown speaker will sound bad at LOW volumes and normal at higher volumes. Speakers can be repaired (new cones and alignment), you would have to look around to see who would do it for you.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

95% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by derekwwww
    I was hoping someone could tell me when you know that you have blown a speaker? will it sound like crap all the time or just sometimes on certain frequencies? does it get a crackle sound to it? today my GF got this smart idea to see how loud my stereo (yamaha rx-v1500 and psb image 4t towers) goes. she cranked the receiver right up to +16.5 but only for a few seconds. it seems like once and awhile in some songs on certain frequencies there is kind of a schreech crackle type sound but not all the time. would this be a blown speaker? im gona be pissed if it is!!! i just got this 2 days ago and the speakers had under an hour of play on them! what do you think guys, do i need new speakers here (and a new girlfriend)? any help is appreciated. thanks!
    When a speaker voice coil blows you will get NOTHING from the speaker at all. Very rarely you can develop an intermittent condition, but that would not last long before they cut out totally. Screechy crackling is not normal, but I've never heard that from a blown speaker. I have heard something similar to that from an intermittent connection, so I would check all of the connectors from your CD player, and speaker cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    When a speaker voice coil blows you will get NOTHING from the speaker at all. Very rarely you can develop an intermittent condition, but that would not last long before they cut out totally. Screechy crackling is not normal, but I've never heard that from a blown speaker. I have heard something similar to that from an intermittent connection, so I would check all of the connectors from your CD player, and speaker cables.
    All semantics aside, what he's describing is something amiss with the speaker. Call it what you will. A fried coil, melted glue on the coil, deformed coil, rubbing coil, blown or even Harry Potter. There's definitly something wrong with the speaker.

An yes, It's rare to have a totally open voice coil, which is how I would describe what you refer to as a "blown" speaker.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    All semantics aside, what he's describing is something amiss with the speaker. Call it what you will. A fried coil, melted glue on the coil, deformed coil, rubbing coil, blown or even Harry Potter. There's definitly something wrong with the speaker.

An yes, It's rare to have a totally open voice coil, which is how I would describe what you refer to as a "blown" speaker.

There is a simpel test...take off you grills...push the woofers very gently inwards. If you hear a noise [scraping noise] this means that your speaker has been played to loud. You can fix it, but iff your not a handyman like me i would say go to a store to recone/center them again. Iff the crackling noise comes from the tweeters...if it is a dome you can fix it yourself

Just take out the the tweeters...then take of the domes [little screws] you will see the coil wind up around the dome. Iff you see a open space in the winding just try to fix it with some tin. This works perfect iff done right ofcourse

Good luck with it

PS sorry for my bad english i'm dutch
    Pre-amp: Mcintosh C26
    Poweramp: Mcintosh MC2105
    Source: Sony Xa50es modified
    Dual 503-1 turntable
    Speakers: Magnepan MG1 modified supertweeters.

Furthermore

Audiolab 480 poweramp, Infinity Qe, Sonus Faber Concertino, Dynaco ST80 (RARE) Tubeamplifier.

Your best bet...

Play dumb and take 'em back. Say they were like this out of the box.

Once you start taking things apart you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

...and either wise up that girl of yours or find one with some common sense.

Forum Regular
    You could try this to but i don't think that the are that stupid ?!

And yes indeed wise up that girl of yours,maybe buying a limiter could help to prevent these kind of situations ;-]
    Pre-amp: Mcintosh C26
    Poweramp: Mcintosh MC2105
    Source: Sony Xa50es modified
    Dual 503-1 turntable
    Speakers: Magnepan MG1 modified supertweeters.

Furthermore

Audiolab 480 poweramp, Infinity Qe, Sonus Faber Concertino, Dynaco ST80 (RARE) Tubeamplifier.

Thread Information