Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Are Bose 301 Speakers the best in there price range?

Im interested in purchasing a pair of bookshelf speakers as fronts for a low budget (cheap) small HT system. I found a place here where I can purchase a pair Polk R30s for $120.00 a pair brand new though there not bookshelf speakers as I prefer they'll still work just fine. My neighbor insist that Bose 301s are a better choice and are the best speakers you can find in there price range anywhere. Im just a proud amateur looking for decent sound.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisY
    Im interested in purchasing a pair of bookshelf speakers as fronts for a low budget (cheap) small HT system. I found a place here where I can purchase a pair Polk R30s for $120.00 a pair brand new though there not bookshelf speakers as I prefer they'll still work just fine. My neighbor insist that Bose 301s are a better choice and are the best speakers you can find in there price range anywhere. Im just a proud amateur looking for decent sound.
    ChrisY listen to your ears and not your neighbor. Bose 301's are one type of speaker and sound but there are many good speakers in the same price range. Polk makes a few as do Paradigm, Infinity, Epos and Athena. www.audioadvisor.com has the Energy C-3 reduced to $299.95 a pair and they would also be a better speaker than Bose. Of course if you like the Bose sound by all means. Listen to as many speakers in your price range as you can.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Your neigbor sounds very ignorant. The more you read and listen, the more you'll find out that Bose is not a good choice in ANY price range.

I'd look into these first:
    http://audioadvisor.com/store/produc...0Black,%20Pair

You should also look at the used market.

Forum Regular
    Thank you kindly fellas.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yikes!

I'm betting that if you visited all the web forums on the internet, you won't find a more disliked speaker brand than Bose.

Some people obviously like them, but if you're looking for sound quality, I don't think I'd be out of line saying you could do better with almost any other speaker at that price point - with the exception of something sold out of a white van.

Forum Regular
    I've read all info given and suggested to me and all I can say is WOW and that Bose will NEVER get an ounce of my interest .I cant afford to be ripped off.

kgg
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Don't do it

Bose 301 - worst stereo equipment purchase I ever made. They sound slightly better than an old transistor radio.

I'm not completely anti-Bose. their noise-cancelling headphones are great on an airplane.

Not by a long shot. Bose products are typically way overpriced for the performance that they deliver. The 301s don't necessarily fall into the overpriced category, because they do deliver more bass than most speakers in their price class (but this is more a case of quantity than quality). That said, they are also not especially accurate in the more critical high and midrange, and their direct/reflecting design messes around with the imaging by creating an artificially large soundstage that lacks locational precision. Plenty of other options out there at the $300 price point that will outperform the 301s.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular

My Bose comment...

I'm not familiar with the 301s at all. In fact, I'm not too familiar with any of their home audio equipment. However, as a pilot, the Bose product I am familiar with is their noise-canclling aviation headset, which is horribly overpriced compared to most other products on the market. I get the impression that a lot of people buy them because of some perceived mystique associated with the Bose nameplate.

It's a quality product, but there are other aviation headsets that provide about 80% of the quality for only 50% of the price.

Just a thought.

Defender of Common Sense
    You might be interested in my "$750 Stereo" post below. I purchased a pair of Bose 901s (series 2) for $275. I don't know if they would work for a surround sound setup, but for music they can't be beat at that price range.

People claiming Bose speakers are a bad deal at any price aren't being reasonable. Anything can be a good deal at the right price.Bose bashing is simply a form of contraryism. The masses love Bose, so of course, no self respecting audiophile can like the same thing the man on the street does. You have to keep in mind that these are also the same people who go to wine tastings. People who consider themselves audiophiles feel that bashing Bose is the only way to prove their objectivity to other audiophiles; it's really more of a cultural thing than anything else. They'll tell you all Bose speakers are a bad deal at any price, then turn right around and tell you to buy silver speaker wire. The truth is audiophiles are, for the most part, very gullible and tend to all think the same things, and repeat the same things. Most of them only know what they've read in magazines. Go ask a physicist what they think of audiophiles, and you'll see what I mean. Unless you're trying to impress a bunch of audiophiles, you should research it, and just get what you want.

If it's a cultural thing, then why is Bose the only speaker company that won't publish their specifications all the while claiming better sound through research. What a crock.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by njspeer
    You might be interested in my "$750 Stereo" post below. I purchased a pair of Bose 901s (series 2) for $275. I don't know if they would work for a surround sound setup, but for music they can't be beat at that price range.

People claiming Bose speakers are a bad deal at any price aren't being reasonable. Anything can be a good deal at the right price.Bose bashing is simply a form of contraryism. The masses love Bose, so of course, no self respecting audiophile can like the same thing the man on the street does. You have to keep in mind that these are also the same people who go to wine tastings. People who consider themselves audiophiles feel that bashing Bose is the only way to prove their objectivity to other audiophiles; it's really more of a cultural thing than anything else. They'll tell you all Bose speakers are a bad deal at any price, then turn right around and tell you to buy silver speaker wire. The truth is audiophiles are, for the most part, very gullible and tend to all think the same things, and repeat the same things. Most of them only know what they've read in magazines. Go ask a physicist what they think of audiophiles, and you'll see what I mean. Unless you're trying to impress a bunch of audiophiles, you should research it, and just get what you want.
    Those 901s are pretty sweet. I was pretty sure the Series II came with the "instant expert" mod. Looks like they sure do. (insert sarcasm here)

As for trying to impress a bunch of audiophiles, that's the pot calling the kettle black. You just posted a thread about your new kick azz system that your all proud of.

Your right about the physics though. Bose 301s exist in an alternate dimension where physics are suspended and a cross over network is not required. Open almost any bose speaker cab and the proof of inferior build, materials and quality is in the pudding.

Defender of Common Sense

The Bose Bashing Culture 101

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    If it's a cultural thing, then why is Bose the only speaker company that won't publish their specifications all the while claiming better sound through research. What a crock.
    I find it humorous that you challenge my argument by repeating a standard audiophile talking point.

I have used a pair of 301's for a few years when pickings were slim. They were/are a decent pair of speakers and not badly overpriced for the sound but there are better choices.
    I suggest Paradigm Atoms. They cost $200 per pair and are vastly superior to the 301's.
    The Paradigm Titans are $220 per pair and are superior to the Atoms for little money.
    I have a pair of both, still have the 301's too in my basement on a shelf waiting for the yard sale, and love them. They sound fantastic and the cost was very reasonable.

As others have said use your ears to make make your choice in your price range. Bring several favorite music cd's and movie dvd's to sample them over the speakers. Pay attention to the power source the store uses...if it is vastly superior to your receiver the sound you hear at home may be different...room acoustics make a big difference. Always ask what the return policy is so you can test them at home to help make your decision.

Good luck and keep us informed on what you do.

Defender of Common Sense

Huh??

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Those 901s are pretty sweet. I was pretty sure the Series II came with the "instant expert" mod. Looks like they sure do. (insert sarcasm here)

As for trying to impress a bunch of audiophiles, that's the pot calling the kettle black. You just posted a thread about your new kick azz system that your all proud of.
    Huh? Did you even read my post? I explicitly stated that audiophiles would not like the system.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Your right about the physics though. Bose 301s exist in an alternate dimension where physics are suspended and a cross over network is not required. Open almost any bose speaker cab and the proof of inferior build, materials and quality is in the pudding.

Uhm, sorry, but "no go" on this.

I think you'll find more beer drinkers here than wine sippers. The cable debate starts up all the time. There are plenty of down to Earth people on this site. They don't go by what magazines tell them. They go listen. In fact, it's the magazines and commercials that have the masses believing that Bose is the best. Bose are just OK. They are the foothills to the Rockies of hi-fi. But not the top of the mountain by any means.
    When you buy a speaker, the money you spend goes several places. Some to advertisements, some to the companie's profit, some to research, and some to actually building the speaker. Bose spends more than anyone on research and advertisement. And they have the highest profit margins than almost anyone. That leaves very little left over to actually build them.
    I don't want to bash Bose. They make an OK speaker. But far from the best at their price point.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Wow, someones been taking GMichaels troll class!

I wasn't aware he is teaching again!!!!!!!!

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Defender of Common Sense
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Uhm, sorry, but "no go" on this.

I think you'll find more beer drinkers here than wine sippers. The cable debate starts up all the time. There are plenty of down to Earth people on this site. They don't go by what magazines tell them. They go listen. In fact, it's the magazines and commercials that have the masses believing that Bose is the best. Bose are just OK. They are the foothills to the Rockies of hi-fi. But not the top of the mountain by any means.
    When you buy a speaker, the money you spend goes several places. Some to advertisements, some to the companie's profit, some to research, and some to actually building the speaker. Bose spends more than anyone on research and advertisement. And they have the highest profit margins than almost anyone. That leaves very little left over to actually build them.
    I don't want to bash Bose. They make an OK speaker. But far from the best at their price point.
    I'm encouraged to know there are more beer drinkers than wine sippers here. IMO there's nothing worse than a wine and cheese party. However, my point was not directed at wine sippers but rather wine tasters. There's a difference. A wine taster thinks he can detect all sorts of microscopic differences in wines with his taste buds, and then uses this delusion to bash lay-people wines, and justifies paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a bottle of wine. Wine tasters also, coincidentally, all like the same wines, and of course they aren't the wines that ordinary people like. And they are the same type of people who buy solid Ag cables, paint the edges or the CDs green, buy $20,000 DACs and claim Bose speakers are a bad deal at any price. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming that Bose speakers are the best; I'm sure they're not, but they do sound pretty good for their price point. If they didn't Bose would go out of business. And when someone claims they are a bad deal at any price they're just an audiophile trying to fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Wow, someones been taking GMichaels troll class!
    I didn't see his name on the roster.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I am a wine snob and freely admit it. My training began in the early 70's. It usually cost me double for a bottle of Annie Green Springs or Boone's(sp) Farms when the "old" guys purchased it for me from the local purveyor of spirits.
    Hehehe.

In my case I am a mill worker and prefer Diet Pepsi to most other beverages. I just happen to like music and movies that sound and look good. My budget is lower than most but you would be surprised at what a mill worker in the paper industry can earn.

My Bose 301's did the job I needed them to do at the time and they still sound pretty good. They just do not compare to higher quality speakers...sort of like comparing a Geo Metro to a Nissan Maxima...the Metro can get the job done but the Maxima does it better...enter your own comparison here. They are also at the bottom end of the Bose line I believe though I have not done much looking at them lately.

Seems Bose gets poor marks not just for its' quality of construction materials/cost but for its' marketing hype and lack of comparability to other brands.

IMO there's nothing worse than a wine and cheese party.
    Yeah, I can't stand wine and cheese. You're right -- there truly is nothing worse: Having your head sawed off with a rusty shank; plucking your eyes out with a dull spoon; having nails jammed into your eardrums. All of these things are far less painful than have to consume wine and cheese.

Clearly, people who do so are just looking for an excuse to spend money and act like effete liberal snobs.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    I wasn't aware he is teaching again!!!!!!!!

Peace

Bernd
    No one signed up.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Yeah, I can't stand wine and cheese. You're right -- there truly is nothing worse: Having your head sawed off with a rusty shank; plucking your eyes out with a dull spoon; having nails jammed into your eardrums. All of these things are far less painful than have to consume wine and cheese.

Clearly, people who do so are just looking for an excuse to spend money and act like effete liberal snobs.
    I resemble that remark. A case of definition of character.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    You know, I've got a real gripe about all those beer posers who think a Guiness or a Sam Adams tastes different than a Genesee Cream Ale or a icy cold Schmidt Light. What a crock of delusional bull. Those people will pay a few bucks more to actually drink a 'premium' beer on tap than from an aluminum can...beernuts! Throwing money away I tell you. Don't get me wrong, I like beer. Man, do I like beer. A lot of beer. Beer's really good--at a price point. But if you pay more than $0.35 for 12 oz. in the misguided belief that you can taste better tasting beer molecules you're just a beer snob trying to impress.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information