Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    The voice coil is rubbing against the magnet by the sounds of it. Do not use the speaker. It may just need to be centered in which case you'll need a pair of new surrounds. Not sure why he thinks it's oxidized, however I am not a speaker expert.

Do yourself a favour. PM Kexodusc who is a resident speaker expert. Introduce yourself and explain the issue. He can make sense of it and tell you how to proceed. Here's his page...

http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=230587

Again, don't use the speaker because you may cause fatal damage to the voice coil. I hate to say it but these guys you are dealing with sound like some real yokals. I suppose auditioning gear with no deposit is reason enough to suffer them.

Forum Regular

E-Mailed Resident Expert, Speaker Repaired

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Do yourself a favour. PM Kexodusc who is a resident speaker expert. Introduce yourself and explain the issue. He can make sense of it and tell you how to proceed. Here's his page...
    thanks, I e-mailed him yesterday as you suggested and am awaiting a response.

On the plus side of things, I visited my local hi-fi shop today and the proprietor said that he found that the lacquer in the speaker coil had bubbled. He said that he removed the bubbles and added a layer of glue.

We auditioned Marantz speakers on an Ayon Orion integrated amp in his listening room and they sounded spectacular! All frequencies were loud and clear, balanced, and the sub lows were strong and clear. The soundstage was well-developed and exhibited a richness that I had never heard before in them.

I asked him why they didn't sound that good in my home. I speculated that the biggest difference was my 10W JoLida versus his Ayon set to 35W. He said that he thought that that might account for about 10% of the difference, but that the PS3 as a CD player, it's connecting wire, the amp and PS3 power cords, my surge protecting power strip, and my speaker wire cables all have an effect on the sound.

The Marantz speakers don't fit in my living/listening room. I would have to compromise on furniture arrangement in order to "jam them in". But faced with the prospect of having to spend $3000+ on a set of speakers to get comparable sound, what else can I do... I guess I'll move the furniture.

Forum Regular

Audes 111.1

While my hi-fi guy was fixing my woofer, he lent me a pair of Audes 111.1 speakers to audition in my home.

With the highs were reserved, the mids were strong, the lows were moderate, and there were of course no sub lows. The soundstage seemed well developed for the frequencies represented, and was clear. I liked the sound of the speakers, although they were much quieter than my Marantz.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information