AR Newbie Registered Member

Bookshelf speaker help

OK, so I'm looking for some new bookshelf speakers for my system. So far I've listened to Bose's 201s and Cambridge Soundworks m50's. Size is a bit of a limiting factor. What are your thoughts on the Bose? What other speakers should I look at in this price range? Thanks!

Utmostjamin1
    you said size is an issue? how big can they be? what is your budget? Is this for 2 Channel use or for in a Surround setup?
    whatever your choice is give them a serious listen if possible. Most people will tell you the Bose are overpriced for what you get and i strongly agree with that. I have a small pair of Klipsch Bookshelf speakers in my office and they serve me well. they are a bit pricey too but i got them on Ebay fairly discounted. The model is RB-15 and i paid $170 for the pair.
    good luck to you

The Focal JMlab Chorus 706 S sound very good, and imo much better than the Bose 201 or 301... the 706 S with a sub sounds just as good as the 716 S (they have the same midrange driver, and tweeter, the 706 S just does not have the woofer)
    the 706 S's are around $449/pr
    the 705 S's are also very good, but have a smaller midrange driver, they run $349/pr

I have herd klipsch reference series which are also very good and I believe are about the same price range as the JMlab's

another couple speakers you may want to check out which I liked (although not as much as the JMlab)
    Phase Technology, Velocity Series -- I liked the V-12, and was told the V-8 has the same tweeter and midrange driver... $450
    Mirage also made some nice sounding floor models, and perhaps their bookshelf's would be worth an audition.

M&K Sound makes some nice speakers, but they were a little pricy compared to what has already been mentioned (>$1000 for a pair of bookshelf sized speakers)

I have listened to many other brands, but would not suggest them...
    I hope this helps...
    Mike

btw, I recently ordered 4 Chorus 716 S's and 1 Chorus CC 700 S for my new ht setup.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Agree about the JM labs Chorus line in general.

Not sure what your budget is but here are some reasonably good under $600.00 bookshelf speakers to consider - but definitely listen yourself and decide and not reviewers.

Athena Technologies AS FB2 (6.5)
    Audio Note AX Two (9.5)
    B&W DM 303 (6.5)
    B&W 601S3 (7)
    B&W 602S3 (8)
    Boston Acoustics VRB (7.5)
    Dyanuadio Audience 42 (9)
    Energy C-1 (6)
    Energy C-3 (7)
    Kef Q-1 (6.5)
    Klipsch Reference RB35 (7.5)
    Linn Katan (7.5)
    Paradigm AtomV3 (6)
    Paradigm Monitor 3 (6)
    Totem Mite (6.5)
    Totem Rainmaker (7.5)
    Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 (6)
    Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 (6.5)

These are some places to start -- there are others of course -- also, I would look at slightly more expensivve speakers and find several you like -- many times a dealer may have some to clear out for the same prices as some of the above --- so you MAY get a better speaker for the same money.

Forum Regular
    I highly recomend the Quad 11L and 12L. After 3 months of auditioning different bookshelfs on my Arcam A65 Plus and and my Arcam CD73, I found the Quad 12L speakers to be the best fit for me.

I also recomend the following companies for budget bookshelf speakers:
    B&W
    Cyrus
    Dynaudio
    Epos
    Focal
    Monitor Audio
    NHT
    Paradigm
    ProAc
    PSB
    Quad
    Totem

Epos is a great value and I took a personal liking to them. Also, PSB, Paradigm, and NHT make a few extremly inexpensive bookshelf speakers.

Goodluck.
    -Shwamdoo

Thread Information