Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: B&W 703 Floorstanders

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Hi, pdmonty, and welcome to AR Forums.

I tend to agree that a system is only as good as it's weakest link, but you aren't going to get a rise out of RGA. He bailed from ARF a few years ago in a fit of peak because he was scolded for for a hyperbolic political opinion.

Ah yes I remember it well.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

AR Newbie Registered Member

Ahh that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Hi, pdmonty, and welcome to AR Forums.

I tend to agree that a system is only as good as it's weakest link, but you aren't going to get a rise out of RGA. He bailed from ARF a few years ago in a fit of peak because he was scolded for for a hyperbolic political opinion.
    Thanks for the greeting. I wasn't trying to get rise as much as I was venting a little in defense my beloved speakers. It irritates me when people throw out negative opinions without due diligence. I believe that most us here want to engage in a civil and educational exchange of information. It's sad that some only serve to foster dissent and negativity. Thanks to all of you belonging to group A. I'm learning a lot!

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdmonty1965 View Post
    Thanks for the greeting. I wasn't trying to get rise as much as I was venting a little in defense my beloved speakers. It irritates me when people throw out negative opinions without due diligence. I believe that most us here want to engage in a civil and educational exchange of information. It's sad that some only serve to foster dissent and negativity. Thanks to all of you belonging to group A. I'm learning a lot!
    I don't think RGA threw out negative comments without due diligence. He is in fact a published reviewer for an audio magazine, or at least he was. He did have a tendency to ruffle our feathers from time to time with his love for Audio Note gear, but he was knowledgeable. If you're looking for people who agree with you all the time, you might as well read the national publications such as Stereophile and The Absolute Sound because they've been accused for years of never writing a negative review. This is a hobby where you will run into people who have owned your gear themselves and have moved on to better gear and will tell you so for their own reasons.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

AR Newbie Registered Member

You misunderstand

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I don't think RGA threw out negative comments without due diligence. He is in fact a published reviewer for an audio magazine, or at least he was. He did have a tendency to ruffle our feathers from time to time with his love for Audio Note gear, but he was knowledgeable. If you're looking for people who agree with you all the time, you might as well read the national publications such as Stereophile and The Absolute Sound because they've been accused for years of never writing a negative review. This is a hobby where you will run into people who have owned your gear themselves and have moved on to better gear and will tell you so for their own reasons.
    Hi Jack, thanks for the response. I was not making inference nor can I attest to or diminish, either way, RGA's knowledge base and I do not expect everyone to agree with me all the time. In fact if everyone did I would never be challenged and would therefore never learn new concepts. What I did take exception to was his ludicrous, blanket statement that B&W speakers were "garbage". First of all, that is his opinion and as we all well know opinions vary and are rarely unbiased in nature however, here is my point. When discussing products that fall into an "elite" category such as B&W, a speaker brand world renowned not only for the quality of their sound but also for their fine furniture grade build quality as well as being routinely compared to other great products from the likes of Martin Logan, Aria, Dynaudio, Paradigm etc. A company who's flagship 800 series are used as professional monitors at studios ranging from Abbey Road to LucasFilms...it is difficult to conceive that anyone's "honest" and unbiased opinion is that they are "garbage". That, to me, is like saying that Lamborghini's suck because you happen to drive a Ferrari. So again, IMHO anyone who, regardless of their perceived intelligence or knowledge base, issues counter-intuitive statements, such as the one now being discussed, seemingly geared only towards getting a rise out of people, is suspect and somewhat diminish themselves as is evidenced by the fact that he abandoned this forum...

Best

I agree with you P-65. I try never to put down any one's gear. We all have different likes and dislikes as well as different gear, musical tastes and listening environments.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by pdmonty1965 View Post
    Hi Jack, thanks for the response. I was not making inference nor can I attest to or diminish, either way, RGA's knowledge base and I do not expect everyone to agree with me all the time. In fact if everyone did I would never be challenged and would therefore never learn new concepts. What I did take exception to was his ludicrous, blanket statement that B&W speakers were "garbage". First of all, that is his opinion and as we all well know opinions vary and are rarely unbiased in nature however, here is my point. When discussing products that fall into an "elite" category such as B&W, a speaker brand world renowned not only for the quality of their sound but also for their fine furniture grade build quality as well as being routinely compared to other great products from the likes of Martin Logan, Aria, Dynaudio, Paradigm etc. A company who's flagship 800 series are used as professional monitors at studios ranging from Abbey Road to LucasFilms...it is difficult to conceive that anyone's "honest" and unbiased opinion is that they are "garbage". That, to me, is like saying that Lamborghini's suck because you happen to drive a Ferrari. So again, IMHO anyone who, regardless of their perceived intelligence or knowledge base, issues counter-intuitive statements, such as the one now being discussed, seemingly geared only towards getting a rise out of people, is suspect and somewhat diminish themselves as is evidenced by the fact that he abandoned this forum...

Best
    Not to defend RGA, but he did refer specifically to the 700 series and not all B&W speakers. He does go overboard as he usually did in describing his dislike for the 700 series. Now I wouldn't say that B&W would fall into the "elite" category. Their 800 series do get mentioned when the trade magazines talk about their recommended products, but there are a lot of speaker companies out there that are held in higher regard IMHO. I had the 703's at my house when I was going to upgrade from my Paradigm Monitor 9's a few years back and I honestly didn't hear that much difference, so I kept looking. I would have never called them "garbage" but just not what I was looking for.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Suspended
    I am only assuming the 700 series has been around for a while or very similar to earlier series.

EDIT- just checked and it would have been the 600 series /EDIT

When I ended up buying my Dynaudio 82s, I was narrowed down to them and the comparable B&Ws. I went back and forth between them using entry level B&K gear.

I was a total Bass Head back then and also had a thing for Dynaudio speakers since the first time I saw and heard them and went with the Dyns. They did have better bass. I may appreciate the B&Ws more now that I have morphed from Bass to Midrange preferences.

I did recently hear the 802 Diamonds driven by the Mc 600wpc monos and was blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I am only assuming the 700 series has been around for a while or very similar to earlier series.

EDIT- just checked and it would have been the 600 series /EDIT

When I ended up buying my Dynaudio 82s, I was narrowed down to them and the comparable B&Ws. I went back and forth between them using entry level B&K gear.

I was a total Bass Head back then and also had a thing for Dynaudio speakers since the first time I saw and heard them and went with the Dyns. They did have better bass. I may appreciate the B&Ws more now that I have morphed from Bass to Midrange preferences.

I did recently hear the 802 Diamonds driven by the Mc 600wpc monos and was blown away.
    My local dealer was a B&W distributor for years and then dropped them because they weren't selling. The 800 series would sell to the higher end customer and the 600 series was popular with the everyday guy but the 700 series didn't find their niche. They eventually picked up Sonus Faber and Wilson Audio and had former B&W customers coming in looking for a trade-in deal. I switched to Usher speakers and then eventually to Dynaudio like Hyfi.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System