Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Almost killed by Bose Lovers

I was in a Volvo dealership yesterday test driving their XC90 Sport Ute when I was surprisingly drawn into a classic Bose battle.

I'd just finished my test drive and was asking the sales guy who made the sound system (quite nice I may add) in the car. He said that "Volvo has their own proprietary system". I was fine with that but then this yuppie couple chimed in with the following:

"You mean this doesn't come with a Bose system? Every car we've bought has a Bose system installed, it's simply the finest you can get. Our home systems are all Bose as well."

I responded to the dealer, "it's fine if it's NOT Bose, I can live with it."

Now I'm not a rabid Bose Basher by any means and I would've let the whole thing go right there. But the couple then turns to me and begins addressing me as if I were some cretin.

"No you don't know what you're missing, you have to hear Bose to believe it."

Still smiling I said, "I have heard many Bose products from the 901 to the Wave Radio, they're not my cup of tea." I was going to leave it at that but they wouldn't stop.

"What's wrong with Bose? What's better than Bose?" The tone was accusatory and patronizing and now I was pissed. I'd didn't like being badgered by strangers about a subject I know something about. They were uninformed, whiney and condecending (sp). So I let em have it.

"Folks you can buy what you like use what you like, but many people who are audio enthusiasts do not consider Bose products top shelf and many believe they're overpriced for the sound produced. As for what's better than Bose? I personally own 6 sets of speakers from various manufacturers that I prefer to Bose. My Allison 4's, Platinum Audio Studio 3's, Ohm Walsh 4's, F's and 2's. All of these speakers old discontinued models and they are STILL superior in sound, fidelity and design to current Bose products. These speakers are NOT sold on late night TV or given away as door prizes. Take a trip to any store that sells B&W or other top flight gear and see what your money can really buy."

I then turned and walked away. I guess words carry a little different weight when coming from a large, 6'1" Black man then from say Don Knotts. They left me alone after that.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Talking

AWHOOOOOOOO! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!

yip, yip, yip

Ya sure showed them!

THAT's what I'm talkin' about!

You da man, Worfster! C'mon, admit it...it felt good puttin' them in their place, didn't it?

I can't STAND people that don't know what they don't know. Ignorance is just something I can't tolerate, especially pompous morons like these cretins. Great job on setting them straight. You just know they are still talking about it as we speak .

I think Nusiclovover said Volvo used Dynaudio, although I don't know if the XC series has them or not. It's funny, but every Volvo I've been in has a killer stereo (by OEM car audio standards) and they invariably have the best seats in autodom. So fess up, didja like the XC90 (btw, turbo 5 or 6?) and do you have a new toy in your garage?

JSE
    People like that deserve BOSE. Nothing you or anyone else will ever tell them will change their mind. You could put people like that in a room with a good system and their BOSE system and even after hearing the HUGE difference in sound, they will still claim BOSE is the best because it's the trendy, and I use the term lightly, "Sound System". It's what Biff and Buff have and so do Chester and Lovey. (In my best Thurston Howl (sp?) voice) It must be the best, ah yes, Hmm, Hmmm, Hmmm, Hmmm, Hmmm, Yes!

BTW, a coworker of mine just got the 90 and she loves it. I road in it the other day and the sound system is quite nice. I have also heard Volvo uses Dynaudio but I have never seen anything official on this.

JSE

Forum Regular
    I have never heard a Bose car audio sound system but I can attest to the fact that the Ford/JBL system in my car stinks. I bought the car used but for whoever bought it new, it was a total ripoff.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

You seem...

...have handled yourself quite reasonably but, judging by some of the subsequent posts, one question "Anyone but me see the irony in all this?"...

Particularly lines like this:

"I can't STAND people that don't know what they don't know. Ignorance is just something I can't tolerate, especially pompous morons like these cretins. Great job on setting them straight."

Even if the first line made any sense at all(which it doesn't IMO)...it's certainly reassuring that there are those walking among us mere mortals who have all the answers...I wonder what level of particular expertise is above "pompous moron cretin" is it "Ultra-pompous"?

jimHJJ(..."extra super-size"...)

I don't know, Worf, Don looking for his bullet is pretty intimidating!!

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Ahem, I NEVER enjoy losing my temper...

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    You da man, Worfster! C'mon, admit it...it felt good puttin' them in their place, didn't it?

I can't STAND people that don't know what they don't know. Ignorance is just something I can't tolerate, especially pompous morons like these cretins. Great job on setting them straight. You just know they are still talking about it as we speak .

I think Nusiclovover said Volvo used Dynaudio, although I don't know if the XC series has them or not. It's funny, but every Volvo I've been in has a killer stereo (by OEM car audio standards) and they invariably have the best seats in autodom. So fess up, didja like the XC90 (btw, turbo 5 or 6?) and do you have a new toy in your garage?
    well almost. The only thing about the confrontation I enjoyed was the fact that I wasn't overly loud, just kinda cool-n-quiet. Not over emotional if you catch my drift. As for the XC-90... unlike with other less expensive toys I'm a REALLLLLLL SLOOOOOOWWW car shopper. Whatever I buy's gonna have my a** in it for at least 5 years so I make sure I do it right.

I didn't buy the XC-90 but if I do it'll have the twin turbo's, winter package and handling stuff. The rest??? I'm not sure. That car's expensive. I can almost get everything I want in a Honda Pilot, but then I'd be driving a Honda and I'd have to hang myself.

Da Worfster

I love irony, particularly on my wrinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...have handled yourself quite reasonably but, judging by some of the subsequent posts, one question "Anyone but me see the irony in all this?"...
    Of course I see the irony of it, intolerance can cut both ways. And I'd be just as bad as they were had I imposed my opinion on them but I did not. They butted into my conversation, not the other way around. They took it on themselves to educate me, assuming I needed educating on the subject. I know I don't know everything about audio, or even everthing about Bose but I do know what I like and what I'm willing to spend money on so.... that's why I said what I said. I was banned from CompUSA for a time because I told other customers the truth about certain computer systems and what they would cost elsewhere. From that experience and others I learned one thing...

"You don't have to go lookin' for trouble.. sit still long enough and it'll find you...."

Da Worfster

That image....

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    I don't know, Worf, Don looking for his bullet is pretty intimidating!!

Pete
    has ruined my day with laughter!!!! Good one Pete, good one.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I never cease to be amazed by the sheer audacity of some people.

I don't buy anything that is advertised in the pages of Delta Airline's in-flight magazines.

But even if Bose was among the best sounding speakers on the planet, these folks had some nerve telling you what you should ask for in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    As for what's better than Bose? I personally own 6 sets of speakers from various manufacturers that I prefer to Bose. My Allison 4's, Platinum Audio Studio 3's, Ohm Walsh 4's, F's and 2's.
    Sad part is they probably have never heard of any of these. I suppose if you walk into Sears and listen to a Bose system compared to a Panasonic or Sony HTIB system, you're gonna think quite highly of Bose. I saw this happen not too long ago and it took every ounce of restraint NOT to butt into the conversation and advise the couple of some "alternative solutions".

Bose may be all about marketing or lifestyle or whatever, but I can't really blame them for wanting to make a buck.

I don't have anything against Bose, just some of the people that buy them.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

Talking it's a small world

[QUOTE=kexodusc]I don't buy anything that is advertised in the pages of Delta Airline's in-flight magazines.

Oh, no! I first saw my new watch in the Skymall catalog on a NorthWest Airlines flight. (I found it for $20 less at Wal-Mart.) Can I still hang out here - I don't own Bose?

Sorry, I couldn't leave the coincedence alone.

Forum Regular
    "...it's certainly reassuring that there are those walking among us mere mortals who have all the answers..."

That's why you're so lucky RL that you ran into me. I know the answer before you even ask the question. What's tough is convincing some people who just don't want to hear the right answer. Sometimes I feel I need a jackhammer just to get through the thick stone wall. Why bother to ask a question if you already know the answer or have your mind made up?

dean, well since you don't own bose.....

Chef, I mean Worf, I take my time with cars too. Have you considered the Jag XJ? I did too, till the salesman made me leave, he said the drool was messing up the finish.

I probably could have bought one wheel - maybe.

I understand about the Honda and killing yourself lol. Although my bro-in-law bought a Pilot and loves it, and I must admit it looks good - a Honda! - shudder.

Have you eyeballed the new Chrysler 300c?

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Worf, you're finally living up to your namesake

Wow, that was a great jab-uppercut combination. Good showing!

Just amazes me how many of these brainwashed lemmings I've heard over the years just in the limited time that I spend at audio stores. About half of the time whenever I visit a store, I'll overhear someone asking about Bose and the sales reps having to explain to the customer why something like B&W, Paradigm, Gallo Acoustics, Energy, Dynaudio, or Klipsch are better products. One of the stores in my area resorted to buying their own Bose Acoustimass system just so they can let the customers hear for themselves how the Bose compares to other brands.

A friend of mine who used to work at an audio store said that about half of his customers asked about Bose, and he got pretty fed up with having to address that question all the time, until his store picked up the Bose line. He would still suggest other alternatives because truthfully he thought that Bose was way overpriced and underperforming. But, if a customer came in deadset on Bose, at least after his store picked up the brand, my friend could make a quick sale rather than have to spend an hour explaining and demoing the alternatives only to have a customer still leave the store deadset on buying Bose no matter what their ears told them.

I've only had to chime in once about Bose at a store, and that was when I saw a skeptical look in a couple of customers' faces when the sales rep cupped his hand over his mouth to demonstrate what Bose speakers sound like. I just told those customers, "Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about. No highs no lows must be Bose is a popular saying for a reason." The sales rep was happy about the assist. I was just trying to hurry along the other customers' demo (wound up playing a set of the Gallo Acoustics Micros), so that the sales rep could help me! That I did a public service was just a side benefit!

Forum Regular
    I just got an e-mail from Amar. Your incident is taking its toll. Sales are already down. He says if things don't pick up, he may have to cancel Mardi Gras in Rio next Spring and go to New Orleans instead. In fact if sales stay this bad, he might have to trade in his car for a Honda Pilot. (What kind of radio did you say it has?)

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Yeah but Worf - the big question - which speakers are on the starship Enterprise - and which one's present Klingon Opera best? Maybe Bose would be a blessing.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    As a general guideline, when selling audio products and someone asks for a bose system, you shut your mouth, sell it, and take the generous commission Dr. Bose has chosen to share with you. Save the education for someone who asks for it. One thing about Bose is it probably won't be returned. I once sold two Lifestyle 12's to two twin brothers and made about $500, took less than 15 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    As a general guideline, when selling audio products and someone asks for a bose system, you shut your mouth, sell it, and take the generous commission Dr. Bose has chosen to share with you. Save the education for someone who asks for it. One thing about Bose is it probably won't be returned. I once sold two Lifestyle 12's to two twin brothers and made about $500, took less than 15 mins.
    "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

H.L. Menken

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic

"There's a sucker born every minute."

P.T. Barnum
    Abraham Lincoln

"There's a sucker born every minute."

--Dr. Amar G. Bose

Forum Regular

I've said it afore and I'll say it agin,

Bose-bashers don't know how to listen...to Bose that is...I have nil intent to join the fray, as I've said all I'm gonna say in a previous thread save for this: there is a distinct difference between direct radiators and the propagation characteristics of speakers such as the 901s. Comparing one with the other is a fools errand, beyond that I couldn't give a sheep's bladder.

And please, spare us all the hackneyed rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Audie Oghaisle
    Bose-bashers don't know how to listen...to Bose that is...I have nil intent to join the fray, as I've said all I'm gonna say in a previous thread save for this: there is a distinct difference between direct radiators and the propagation characteristics of speakers such as the 901s. Comparing one with the other is a fools errand, beyond that I couldn't give a sheep's bladder.

And please, spare us all the hackneyed rhetoric.
    I fear the worst...go easy on him guys.

Forum Regular

"Go easy on him"?!?!?!?

Please, don't do me any favors!

I can and do hear the difference in the presentation of both types of loudspeakers, unfortunately it's the Bose-bashing types who can't, and thusly reveal themselves to be the closed-minded cretins they accuse others of being.

The poster who gave the "cupped hand" analogy is quite correct in that characterization, in a side by side audition Bose will fail every time. However, if one takes the time to listen "into" the soundfield produced by a properly set up pair of 901's instead of expecting to be bowled-over by them(or audibly assaulted) based strictly on experience with direct radiator units, the sound is, in fact, quite accurate. Sorry if you don't agree.

They may not be everyone's cuppa, but that's why there's vanilla and chocolate.

I don't disagree with some of what you say, and I'll remain open to the possibility that Bose 901's can sound good. Many of my seniors swore they were competent speakers in earlier versions with some subtle and easy modifications. I do know they are not in their current incarnation.
    But you're obviously looking for a huge flame war here, and I fear you've come to a place where people love to flame.

You've got way too much time on your hands if that's the case...seriously...what did you hope to accomplish by posting a defense of Bose in the middle of a thread oozing Bose bashing posts? Not to make friends with locals, that's for sure. Not to make a worthwhile contribution to another's request, either. Not even a cheap humorous pop.

You seem to understand that you cannot change the opinion of Bose-bashers, so why even bother wasting your time here? Please explain your intentions. Have you've come looking to argue? Are you lonely? I would have thought you satisfied that hunger for bickering in your previous thread...maybe you didn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information