Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

For all you B&W fans...

...or the B&W bashers whose gripe is that they're overpriced!

Less than 24 hours left on these N803's that retail for $5000 a pair.
    There may be a mad rush on them at the end but a this posting
    they're going for $1200 for the pair.

I'm thinking about them myself...how do I sneak them past the wife?

Hmmmm.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-W-Nautilus-803...QQcmdZViewItem

Don't forget to add a few hundred for shipping....

Smart Ass!

Forum Regular

Valid point...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Smart Ass!
    ...But I'm less than 75 miles away...I'd just pick them up myself.

For someone else...they WOULD be a couple C notes to safely ship so
    you should definitely incorporate that into the cost.

BTW...I looked again and noticed it was only a 1day listing. That explains the low
    price at this point. You can expect to see a mad rush during the last couple of hours on these bad boys. You guys shouldn't even bother watching...

The Collector
    something seems a little fishy about that auction. I wouldnt trust it.

Forum Regular

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    something seems a little fishy about that auction. I wouldnt trust it.
    Why would you have only a single day listing (Sunday at that) for a speaker of this quality and condition? Too hot too handle? If you were to bid I'd ask where he purchased them and whether he could provide the original reciept (for warranty reasons of course).

Well as you can see he uses some decent equipment and the highest reason why people sell such a product in such a short time is because its not to their likes. Speakers only develop their qualitys once you have them home and listen to more than 3tracks at a dealer. But this is not unusual since the used market is full of B&W.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

It's just a hobby

It's A Scam....

Seller is asking you to contact him outside of ebay for payment options, ! I have seen that one before.

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Well as you can see he uses some decent equipment and the highest reason why people sell such a product in such a short time is because its not to their likes. Speakers only develop their qualitys once you have them home and listen to more than 3tracks at a dealer. -- snip-- -Flo
    With all due respect, If you apply these comments to yourself, we would hear less generalisations about box speakers from you. Or have you tried all the good ones at home ?

No because all box speakers have things in common. A box, different drivers ;-)
    Besides there are box speakers i like, just not many. I like some Horns, Electrostatics, Planar Magnetics. But i think that this person heard them at a dealer believed the adverts and found out that the speaker is not to his liking and thats why he sells them. And since the used market is covered with B&W he cant ask for much ;-)

-Flo

Geez Flo, you're so biased you can't even see a scam for what it is...a scam. This has nothing to do with the speakers. They could have used Apogee's, but why? There isn't nearly as much market knowledge of this brand as there is B&W. You can't hook a sucker if they don't want the product. B&W enjoys one of the highest residuals of all speaker manufacturers precisely because the popular consensus is that they are a hi-end speaker manufacturer, whether or not you choose to agree with this or not has no bearing whatsoever.

Yeah the good stuff usually dies first. Its normal, you dont see many Apogees since their owners dont sell them. Many of us own more than 2 pairs, they are collectables :-)

Ofcourse i am biased, and i never said otherwise.

But why does he sell the speaker so cheaply, after such a short time?

Yeah the good stuff usually dies first. Its normal, you dont see many Apogees since their owners dont sell them. Many of us own more than 2 pairs, they are collectables :-)
    Well, considering that not a whole lot of Apogees got sold in the first place, while B&W has been consistently among the top 5 volume speaker manufacturers in the world, that's one reason you see more B&Ws on the second hand market. Ribbon speakers are not exactly known for their durability either, and Apogee has not made any loudspeakers since the mid-90s.

But why does he sell the speaker so cheaply, after such a short time?
    As others have told you, because this is a SCAM! The seller's phishing for user account information. What better way than to offer a popular in-demand speaker for far less than its prevailing market value?

Well ok then ;-)

By the way Apogee was very popular and there are many Apogees out there. And to the durability.......20 years and still going strong! Not as many as B&W, Dynaudio etc...but they were never made for the general public in the first place.

It's just a hobby
    Well ok then ;-)
    - snip -
    but they were never made for the general public in the first place.
    This is so funny.... , I thought Apogee Speakers had a dealer network.. , even sent samples to Stereophile and exhibited at audio shows, but they were not made for the general public

You know what i mean, they were and still are damned expensive, difficult to place, difficult to drive and difficult to fix in case something happens.

-Flo

It's just a hobby
    You know what i mean, they were and still are damned expensive, difficult to place, difficult to drive and difficult to fix in case something happens.

-Flo
    so were (and still are) a couple others that fit the bill , and your brief treatsie gives us a good entree on why they might not be as popular as you think "damned expensive, difficult to place, difficult to drive and difficult to fix in case something happens" are not qualities that stock a speaker's popularity .

Thats why i always make a difference between a hobbyist and a perfectionist. If someone is looking for decent speaker that sounds ok than most all speakers will do. But if you want "real" sound in your room and seek perfection than you have to make sacrifices. Almost no dealer can place these beasts right yet alone display the electronics necesarry. My friend drives his DIVAS with over 60000$ worth of electronics. I run more than 14000$ worth of electronics. This is in a dedicated room wich is optimized acoustically.

Yes they are extremely picky and almost noone can afford to buy them yet alone place them. But these points are not important if your on the quest for perfection.

I just come from a different standpoint. I seek perfection not a value or cute speaker. And i like many boxes and like box systems from other members. I moderate the gallery and in fact erase bad comments against boxes, i rate them highly. But i never found a box that can come close to reality exept the Avalon Eidolon Diamond.

-Flo

Efficeny has nothing to do with the sound quality. Apogees are actually quite easy with decent equipment. There are only 2 models which are hard to drive since their impedance is aprox. 0.-1ohm. They dont require much power just a amp that can drop real current into the speakers.

Easy to drive and easy to place speakers have absolutly no meaning to good sound.

-Flo

It's just a hobby
    Thats why i always make a difference between a hobbyist and a perfectionist. If someone is looking for decent speaker that sounds ok than most all speakers will do. But if you want "real" sound in your room and seek perfection than you have to make sacrifices. Almost no dealer can place these beasts right yet alone display the electronics necesarry. My friend drives his DIVAS with over 60000$ worth of electronics. I run more than 14000$ worth of electronics. This is in a dedicated room wich is optimized acoustically.
    Hmm...and what is perfection and 'real' sound ? Amost no dealer can place them right or afford the equipment to drive them , what a recommendation !, Good acoustic treatment is necessary requirement for optimal sound not perfection
    Yes they are extremely picky and almost noone can afford to buy them yet alone place them. But these points are not important if your on the quest for perfection.
    -Flo
    A difficult to drive speaker is not necessary for excellent sound, a well designed speaker is.

Efficeny has nothing to do with the sound quality. Apogees are actually quite easy with decent equipment. There are only 2 models which are hard to drive since their impedance is aprox. 0.-1ohm. They dont require much power just a amp that can drop real current into the speakers.

Easy to drive and easy to place speakers have absolutly no meaning to good sound.

-Flo

It's just a hobby
    Efficeny has nothing to do with the sound quality.
    I said a well-designed speaker not high Efficiency speaker

Apogees are actually quite easy with decent equipment. There are only 2 models which are hard to drive since their impedance is aprox. 0.-1ohm. They dont require much power just a amp that can drop real current into the speakers.
    Your are contradicting yourself

-Flo
    Neither does difficult to drive and difficult to place

Well designed can be seen upon hearing it. There are many different designs out there and a few have held true for over 35 years such as the planar ribbon drivers.

No i am not, there are differences. Some speakers require a lot of WATTS some require CURRENT. Some require both. Electrostatics want current why Maggies want Watts. Apogees need stable amps.

But some speakers only show their qualities when they are setup 100% right and matched. Apogees are such speakers, and B&W's, AN etc... are not that critical. This is why noone can judge a speaker such as these are in a 3 Track listening session.

It's just a hobby

Well designed can be seen upon hearing it. There are many different designs out there and a few have held true for over 35 years such as the planar ribbon drivers.
    So have many other designs, and some of them are still in business, still making good speakers.
    No i am not, there are differences. Some speakers require a lot of WATTS some require CURRENT. Some require both. Electrostatics want current why Maggies want Watts. Apogees need stable amps.
    Seeing that you are backpedalling...I will spare you the agony , however every speaker requires well-matched amplifier sound their best.

But some speakers only show their qualities when they are setup 100% right and matched. Apogees are such speakers, and B&W's, AN etc... are not that critical
    All speakers sound their best where they are well setup and matched, A speaker that sounds good even when not well setup or matched is more flexible and that is a strength not a weakness.
    This is why noone can judge a speaker such as these are in a 3 Track listening session.
    If it is well setup and matched you can, at least it will give you a taster of what a speaker can do, that is the whole purpose of shows and exhibitions, to pique your interest.

Instead of quoting me and twisting the points why dont you contact me over MSN (overture3@hotmail.com) and we can chat about it. I can even call you and i can tell you exactly why this box vs. planars is senseless. You are welcome to come on over like many have before and experience a world reference and what the definition of "real" is. :-)
    Even if you choose not to, it wont hurt since you dont know what your missing ;-)

-Flo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information