Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Cool Your 5 favorite female vocalists?

Just wonderdin what other music fans listen to.

I have got Eva Cassidy on alot at night, and it dawned on
    me that I really like the smooth tonality of hi to midrange female
    singers. (I like listening to her through my Snell E5 speakers).

List your 5 favorites and what kind of speakers you play those
    sweet pipes through.

Here are mine in 2003- on Snell E-5's

1 Eva Cassidy
    2 Diane Krall
    3 Allison Krause
    4 Jessica Andrews (new talent fron Nashville)
    5 Norah Jones

WAK

In no particular order:

Norah Jones
    Bjork
    Tori Amos
    Margo Timmins
    Billie Holiday
    Lucinda Williams

Speakers? Panasonic earbuds.

Did you know that the higher end (if there is such a thing) portable headphones are designed to fit big old men's ears!

Nice topic!

Edit: Nice thing about this edit option is I can come back and revise the list as I think of better choices.

I've got a few.

Sarah Bettens (of K's Choice)
    Norah Jones
    Sarah Brightman
    Karen Carpenter

dld
    Forum Regular
    My five least favorites:

1. Urzala Dudziak. This must be a joke right? Worse than Yoko Ono
    2. Yoko Ono. thanks goodness for Urzala
    3. Yvonne Eliman. one crappy disco hit took this lady nowhere
    4. Polly Jean Harvey. Maybe she can write, but I still don't get her singing
    5. Madleen Kane, hmmm, tough one here, she's got that euro-trash/disco/decadent look thing going on, but her whisper of a voice doesn't quite do it for me.
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Here are mine for the time being;

Allison Krauss - she has the purest female voice I've ever heard. I can't imagine anyone sounding better than her. She never, ever sounds strained and is never off-pitch.

PJ Harvey - Ok, she doesn't have great pipes, but she has a way of expressing herself like no other female singer I've heard.

k. d. lang - Like Allison, she has perfect pitch and a powerful voice to boot. Roy Orbison, who knew something about singing, said she had "the best pipes in the business", and I can't argue with him. The other thing I like about her is that she uses restraint and is never guilty of vocal excess like the Whitney Houston's and Mariah Carey's of the world, who act like they're on "Star Search" or "American Idol" in most of their songs.

Lucinda Williams - I always lean toward singer/songwriters because I don't think too much credit should be given merely for having a nice voice. Who cares how good you sound if you're singing drivel (that's a shot at Whitney & Mariah)?

Emmylou Harris - she has an amazing catalog of music, much of it as backing vocals for others. Some of her backing on old Gram Parsons tunes are just unbelievable. She's a class act thru and thru.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Re

Quote Originally Posted by dld
    My five least favorites:

1. Urzala Dudziak. This must be a joke right? Worse than Yoko Ono
    2. Yoko Ono. thanks goodness for Urzala
    3. Yvonne Eliman. one crappy disco hit took this lady nowhere
    4. Polly Jean Harvey. Maybe she can write, but I still don't get her singing
    5. Madleen Kane, hmmm, tough one here, she's got that euro-trash/disco/decadent look thing going on, but her whisper of a voice doesn't quite do it for me.
    I can't let the Dudziak reference go w/o a response. I'm wondering how much stuff you've heard of her... probably not that much. I consider her a pretty solid jazz vocalist. Not my favorite, but she's better than most jazz vocalists IMO. You may have heard something experimental... using vocals as modern impovisational "scat"... purposely off-the-wall. But unlike Yoko, Urzula can actually sing. She's played with John Amercrombie, Anthony Jackson, Tony Levin, Steve Gadd and many other (good) jazz musicians.

As for other "Bad" singers (least favorites)...you could pick most anyone (female singer) on the pop charts today, and they're all of marginal talent IMO. Madonna sang some song (Stairway to heaven?) accapella last year on NBC I think... it was hideously bad. The trouble is today, we hear (we're fed) so much crap, many people don't know the difference anymore.

I was just doing some digital-cleaning up and found a folder that had 629 alternative (recent) female artists in it! It's rare that anyone new gets heard at all these days.

There are a couple chick singers I'd rate pretty high that are on my vol-3 and vol-7 comps (Eddi Reader, Holly Cole, Jonatha Brooke, Joni Mitchell, Sandy Denny, Beth Nielsen Chapman, Lori Carson, etc.). Lots of others too... Annie Haslam, Linda Lewis, Maddy Prior, Judie Tzuke, Susannah McCorkle, Annisette, etc. Of course, I'd listen to Aimee Mann first because of her music, although she's an above average singer. I just finished a new comp (for the new year) that features a dozen female jazz/blues vocalists. The focus was on the music, but they're all really good (& not that well heard). I'd put 2 or 3 in my top 10 all-time female vocalists. Nobody's mentioned any of em here yet.

One more: Chan Marshall aka Cat Power!

Either you love her or you hate her....

(1) Patsy Cline
    (2) Patsy Cline
    (3) Patsy Cline
    (4) Patsy Cline
    (5) Patsy Cline

I mean, who else do ya need? I do, however, enjoy the likes of Neko Case and Chan Marshall, among others.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

dld
    Forum Regular
    Thnx for your thoughts on the Dudziak matter. I have only her debut, Newborn Light. And yes, perhaps its her choice of material and how she interprets it that bugs me. I do acknowledge that her voice has great range. but the use she puts itt to just left me totally cold. Perhaps this was her show off her voice album? Since I haven't listened to this album in 20+ years, I'll give her a spin over the next day or two.
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Forum Regular
    I can't stand female singers...

I have never heard of most of the ones mentioned and nobody mentioned the only one I would actually admit to liking (alot)

and she is beautiful on the outside as well

SADE....

Who else do you need? Stone, Stone, Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    (1) Patsy Cline
    (2) Patsy Cline
    (3) Patsy Cline
    (4) Patsy Cline
    (5) Patsy Cline

I mean, who else do ya need? I do, however, enjoy the likes of Neko Case and Chan Marshall, among others.
    You'e been depriving yourself for way too long if you believe Patsy Cline was the last of the great female singers. That's like saying you only need Sam Adams Winter Lager because all other beers pale in comparison. Hey, it's possibly my favorite, but there are plenty of others to enjoy and I'll keep drinking different ones to see if there are any that can beat it. Have you listened to Allison Krauss, I mean really listened? And what about k.d. lang. I know she's kinda weird looking and all, but what a voice! I like Neko too, but her voice can't begin to touch the aforementioned. I'm not sure about Chan. It's ok, but nothing special. I didn't mention Bjork, who can really belt it out when she wants to, but she's a bit too quirky for some tastes. I happen to love her, quirks and all.

Swishy
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Fave female singers.....

1. Laura Nyro - Superb singer songwriter, out there before Joni Mitchell and Carol King. Wrote classics but never got her due... acquired taste but her voice just haunts me, Goddess rest her soul....

2. Aretha Franklin - When she moans, she moans... when she howls she howls. Impressive body of work. Listen to the heartbreak in her voice in "Do Right Man".....

3. Ruth Brown - Hard drinkin', hard lovin' woman that could f**k you or fight you with equal aplomb. Listen to "Wild Wild Young Men" that record just burns....

4. Annie Lenox - Kinda like the Emma Peel of music of me. Great voice, many a fantasy about her, great range...

5. Chaka Khan - Amazing voice, wonderful body (when young) superb sense of style vocally....

Da Worfster

let's see, five female artists that I enjoy the most. OK, no particular order:

Beth Orton-she's fab-oh-lous

Sinead O'Connor-love the voice, love the music for the most part. She's pretty strong as a guest vocalist too, which is good since I guess she's pretty much retired.

Kate Pierson of the B-52's. Love that voice, wish it was featured more often. Ahh, Candy.

Delores O'Riordan-of the Cranberries. Guess I've got warbly tones down pat.

Lisa Gerrard-Dead Can Dance. Dreamy, eery, completely cool.

I've also got a thing for Cyndi Lauper, what a great singer although much of her music isn't really my thing but the lady has got the pipes and the training. Should also plug Tina Root formerly of Switchblade Symphony, Siouxsie Sioux as well as acknowledge some faves already mentioned-Poly Styrene, Jonatha Brooke of The Story as well as solo. Did anyone hit Exene Cervenka? She's worthy of a mention.

Listen on my Klipsch KG 4.2's right now.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    4. Annie Lenox - Kinda like the Emma Peel of music of me. Great voice, many a fantasy about her, great range...

Da Worfster
    Doh! Yeah, I'd have to rate Annie up there pretty high as well. Got Bare very late this year and it's her best CD by a freakin' mile. Very worthy contender for one of my top ten slots in the best of 2003. Of course I managed to avoid the fantasies of her, not really my type.

I probably over looked Alison Moyet as well. Another voice with a ton of soul and still making music I enjoy.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    No order:

Jewel
    Dido
    Michelle Branch
    Paula Cole
    Plummet
    Beth Hart (L.A. Song)
    Stevie Nicks

This could go on....

Of course! How could I forget Annie Lennox?

1. Laura Nyro - Superb singer songwriter, out there before Joni Mitchell and Carol King. Wrote classics but never got her due... acquired taste but her voice just haunts me, Goddess rest her soul....

2. Aretha Franklin - When she moans, she moans... when she howls she howls. Impressive body of work. Listen to the heartbreak in her voice in "Do Right Man".....

3. Ruth Brown - Hard drinkin', hard lovin' woman that could f**k you or fight you with equal aplomb. Listen to "Wild Wild Young Men" that record just burns....

5. Chaka Khan - Amazing voice, wonderful body (when young) superb sense of style vocally....

Da Worfster
    While I would have chosen Aretha some years ago, I was thinking more of her current status/talent rather than the past, and she's seen better days. I also like Cassandra Wilson very much and she could easily have made my list. It's really difficult to keep it to just five. It would have been easier to pick a top 5 in a certain genre rather than in general. It's about as tough as naming your top 5 albums; there are just too many good ones to have a top 5, or at least a permanent top 5 because my "all time" favorites tend to be a fluid list.

Swish
    Last edited by Swish; 12-24-2003 at 08:43 PM.

Forum Regular

Merry Christmas

Ann Wilson

Bette Midler

Janis Joplin

Sinead O,Connor

KiKi Dee

All based on natural talent.

Have a great holiday
    The Nelster

Forum Regular
    Wow! What great music you guys listen to! What about the gals out there??
    Don't any of you have favorite female vocalists?

(My own list is simply what I listened to in 2003)

Many of these very gifted singers I have had the pleasure to listen to with soulfull
    admiration. I can't wait to sample some CD's of the ones listed by you guys
    which I have NOT heard yet. And yes, many you have pointed out-
    that a list of 5 is far to short with the pool of talent out there. Just add them to the list later, (any singer who did not get her name listed). Here are some more of my
    favorites- I don't go by popularity myself.

6 Sade Adu
    7 Lisa Gerrard
    8 Sarah McLachlan
    9 Bonnie Raitt
    10 Sinead O'Conner
    11 Madonna (ballads)
    12 Aimee Mann
    13 Annie Lennox

WAK
    Last edited by psyopwak; 12-24-2003 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    You'e been depriving yourself for way too long if you believe Patsy Cline was the last of the great female singers. That's like saying you only need Sam Adams Winter Lager because all other beers pale in comparison. Hey, it's possibly my favorite, but there are plenty of others to enjoy and I'll keep drinking different ones to see if there are any that can beat it. Have you listened to Allison Krauss, I mean really listened? And what about k.d. lang. I know she's kinda weird looking and all, but what a voice! I like Neko too, but her voice can't begin to touch the aforementioned. I'm not sure about Chan. It's ok, but nothing special. I didn't mention Bjork, who can really belt it out when she wants to, but she's a bit too quirky for some tastes. I happen to love her, quirks and all.

Swishy
    Okay, I had a very long reply done and I hit the wrong button and lost it. In a nutshell I said I don't think I'm depriving myself because even though the women you listed certainly have great voices, their music doesn't do a lot for me, and at the end of the day that's what matters. I've seen Allison Krauss live and although it was good and she's obviously extremely talented, I wasn't inspired to buy any of her albums. The vocals just aren't important enough to me to really make me want to listen (if the music isn't my cup of tea). I can respect their talent, but that's where it stops for many "great" female vocalists. I think Patsy had it all: serious talent, pure emotion in her singing, and wonderfully written songs that fit her vocal style very well.

Have a nice Christmas.

Stone
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psyopwak
    Just wonderdin what other music fans listen to.

I have got Eva Cassidy on alot at night, and it dawned on
    me that I really like the smooth tonality of hi to midrange female
    singers. (I like listening to her through my Snell E5 speakers).

List your 5 favorites and what kind of speakers you play those
    sweet pipes through.

Here are mine in 2003- on Snell E-5's

1 Eva Cassidy
    2 Diane Krall
    3 Allison Krause
    4 Jessica Andrews (new talent fron Nashville)
    5 Norah Jones

WAK
    1. Joni Mitchell
    2. Bonnie Raitt
    3. Susan Tedeschi
    4. Harriet Wheeler
    5. Elizabeth Fraser

and others I like lots (in no particular order):

Johnette Napolitano
    Lisa Gerard
    Angela Strehli
    Shemekia Copeland
    Judy Collins
    Billie Holliday
    Laura Nyro
    Sade
    Janis Joplin
    Koko Taylor
    Shawn Colvin
    Heidi Berry
    Enya
    Maire Brennan
    Rory Block
    Sheryl Crow
    Kristin Hersh
    Mary Fahl
    Loreena McKennitt
    Alana Davis
    Sarah McLachlen
    Chrissie Hynde
    Jane Siberry
    Alison Krauss
    Lucinda Williams
    Patsy Cline

-Chip
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Have to make it six, couldn't figure out who to cut.

Billie Holiday towers above all. Far & away my favorite singer, male or female, by a wide margin. Sinatra changed music, in part through trying to do what she did with a song.

Wanda Jackson--never heard a voice like hers, ever.

Exene--amazing. Completely unique harmonies that nobody else has ever gone for. Rare gusto.

Kim Shattuck--if Joan Jett had decent pitch she'd sound something like this. Probably the best female rock screamer I've ever heard.

Patsy Cline--what can I say? One of the most satisfying box sets I have. Love the early stuff, too, especially the 'Rockin' Side' disc of very early recordings, only some of which made it onto the box set.

Bebel Gilberto--maybe she doesn't belong in the top five, as she's only put one album out, but she's so much a better singer than her stepmother Astrud that it's not even funny. Anyone who has half an ear for Brazilian music should give this a spin. Fantastic. I eagerly await a new release from her. Oh, and the remix version of her album is really good too, nice world electronica stuff. Right up my alley.

Oh, I left somebody out, so we're just going to have to make it seven. Skippy?

Etta James. Despite the direction she went in, between the first disc on the 'Essential' collection, and the 'Rocks The House' album, one of the all-time greats. I've been listening to her Christmas album the past few days, a recent record, and that's pretty good, too.

The next five:

Jane Monheit--a contemporary jazz vocalist with impeccable pipes. Unfortunately her albums have progressively moved into schmaltzy, Streisand-ish sort of territory, but her first album is a must-have for those who like jazz vocals. She's the real thing.

Lucinda Williams--just got World Without Tears. I knew she was good, but just never had any of her stuff. Wow.

k.d. lang--I think her albums went progressively downhill also, but boy, around 15 years ago she could do no wrong. Absolute Torch & Twang remains one of my country favorites.

Lorrie Collins--listen to those Collins Kids records, wow. She had some instrument.

Poly Styrene--in a similar vein, vocally, very powerful voice. Too bad she went & joined the Hare Krishnas.

Honorable mention:

Aretha Franklin--incredibly talented, and her Columbia stuff is sublime. Not to mention the stuff she did early on for Atlantic. But I must confess I get a bit sick & tired of how overplayed she is. Can't say there's one thing in the past 30 years (since her version of Stevie Wonder's 'Until I Come Back To You') that's knocked me out. Still, the stuff she did in the 60s is a lengthy, formidable, excellent resume. I just wish she never went for that diva-persona sh*t.

Gladys Knight--didn't have Aretha's talent, vocally, but that didn't stop her from having some amazing tunes over the years. The hits in the mid 70s got a bit played, but she'd rate a mention on the basis of 1964's Every Beat Of My Heart alone.

Betty Everett--You're No Good. I should probably throw out a name like Ronnie Spector or someone like that, or Lulu, but what she did on this tune puts her a notch above them for the time. A classic. Oh, and I think Linda Ronstadt's cover was pretty good. Can't say I would put her on this list, but I think she did do some fine things oh, about 30 years ago or so. Way more to my liking than someone like Bonnie Raitt.

Abbey Lincoln--I try to 'get' Nina Simone, I listen to this & to that & the next thing, & I never seem to quite get it. But when I throw on 'Abbey Is Blue' the same sorts of thoughts come to mind that I see written about Nina Simone. Go figure.

Blossom Dearie--Lovely voice, great jazz feel, world-class piano player. Go see her while you still can.

I'm leaving someone out, right? I must be. Oh, well. I know this is late, but hope everyone had a great holiday.

I don't like others.

42 Regular
    In no particular odor...

Sinead O'Connor
    Chrissie Hynde
    Polly Jean Harvey
    The Dutch woman who sings with Bette Serveert
    Margo Timmons

Honorable mentions to Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Lucinda Williams, Aretha Franklin, Janice Joplin, Enya, Annie Lennox & David Bowie.

Nice thread. If I was home right now, I'd be digging up my Women's Work comp from the mothballs.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Whattza matta Midfi... don't like the way womens smell?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    In no particular odor...

Sinead O'Connor
    Chrissie Hynde
    Polly Jean Harvey
    The Dutch woman who sings with Bette Serveert
    Margo Timmons

Honorable mentions to Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Lucinda Williams, Aretha Franklin, Janice Joplin, Enya, Annie Lennox & David Bowie.

Nice thread. If I was home right now, I'd be digging up my Women's Work comp from the mothballs.
    Reason's number two and three why one should use spellcheck.

Da Worfster

Ha! No particular "odor". Now that was funny, but...

Reason's number two and three why one should use spellcheck.

Da Worfster
    you didn't need an apostrophe in reasons, so be careful when hurling those stones at others.

Swish Baby

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Actually, spellcheck wouldn't have picked up on "odor", since it is spelled correctly.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information