Page 95 of 129 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 105 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 3221
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is spinning?

Carrie Newcomer - The Geography of Light

I haven't posted one of the girls in a while...

My mom came down from NorCal for a visit and had me listen to his version of hallelujah from her iPod. I thought it was good, but from the iPod it was just so lifeless. So I went to found the LP today at the store and WOW, obviously, there is a hell of a difference.

Not too sure about side 1, but side 2 so far is pretty diverse and pleasing. Too bad the dude died young, seems like he'd have had some potential.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    This is also a good recording. Yes he died way too young.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    This is also a good recording. Yes he died way too young.
    Sweet - I'll keep an eye out for it next time I am in the record store. Wish I had $50 instead of $40, would have picked up the latest Sigor Rus. Was in the mood for mellow and then crushing smooth layers of complexity and distortion. Wish I hadn't used that other $20 for gas. Stupid car...taking away much music pleasures.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Sweet - I'll keep an eye out for it next time I am in the record store. Wish I had $50 instead of $40, would have picked up the latest Sigor Rus. Was in the mood for mellow and then crushing smooth layers of complexity and distortion. Wish I hadn't used that other $20 for gas. Stupid car...taking away much music pleasures.
    I thought you have a bicycle with wings and auto pilot. "Where to David?"

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Beautiful day here...gettin' ready to do some ribs ribs low 'n' slow with Big Daddy's special secret...launching a perfectly lovely afternoon with...

So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Good stuff

Suspended
    Noddinoff, what do you know about MGMT? They are not my usual thing but I ordered their new album Congradulations. I've only heard samples. The album should be here in a couple days.

Tonight I listened to some Talking Heads, Best of as I am not a huge fan. And rocked Ozric Tentacles, Spirals In Hyperspace. I am a huge fan of OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    what do you know about MGMT? .
    They have an interesting approach, but you will be exhausted by the end of an entire album. For me, there's just not enough meat there. They have managed to craft a few really interesting songs however.

MGMT? Haven't heard of them. But, I'll do a myspace search and check them out. Love Talking Heads though!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    They have an interesting approach, but you will be exhausted by the end of an entire album. For me, there's just not enough meat there. They have managed to craft a few really interesting songs however.
    I wondered about that but the new album was $7.99 at Amazon so I took a chance.

Viva L'American Death Ray Music - Behold! A Pale Horse EP

This is one strange beast (and yes, it is a beast despite having only 4 tracks). After one listen, I'm very intrigued by this, but also shaking my head in bewilderment. The first track is a fuzzed-out rocker that had my head bopping and wanting more of the same. Then came track 2, which is a psychedelic dub workthrough. And the last two tracks are nothing like either of the first two. Strange stuff, and it's a difficult listen with the differences in genres among tracks, but in a time when I am finding very little music truly enjoyable, it might just hit the spot.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I wondered about that but the new album was $7.99 at Amazon so I took a chance.
    Post your thoughts. I have the last album and Electric Feel is an awesome song.

David Sanborn doesn't get a lot of traction from jazz purists as his style often borders somewhere between traditional and the Nu-Jazz. Closer stradles the line again, with a smoothness and mellow quality absent in some his more recent work. The sound quality is excellent (you can occasionally hear the rattle in his mouthpiece) and the instrumentation is spot-on. Highly recommended if you're a jazzhead in search of something "borderline different but familiar"...

Oh here's a new one guys. Not really.

This is one of the first albums I learned to play from start to finish. It's still to this day one of my faves.

Anyone thinking this is a washed up grunge album, think again. Musicians of AR, try jamming with this album and you will find it's difficult to get back to "1". Very odd times indeed, yet presented as seemingly straightforward. So clever.

I could listen to Ben Sheppard all day and night. Oh man here it comes...bridge of Slaves and Bulldozers.....soooo badazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone

Viva L'American Death Ray Music - Behold! A Pale Horse EP

This is one strange beast (and yes, it is a beast despite having only 4 tracks). After one listen, I'm very intrigued by this, but also shaking my head in bewilderment. The first track is a fuzzed-out rocker that had my head bopping and wanting more of the same. Then came track 2, which is a psychedelic dub workthrough. And the last two tracks are nothing like either of the first two. Strange stuff, and it's a difficult listen with the differences in genres among tracks, but in a time when I am finding very little music truly enjoyable, it might just hit the spot.
    I hunted around for some streams and found track 1 and track 2. I like. Admittedly, have to be in the right headspace, but I can see a place for this in mine. thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    First spin for the new Josh Ritter CD

edit: sounds like Paul Simon.
    Heh. I'm giving this a preview listen through NPR's stream of the album. I wish I hadn't read this post 'cause now I keep looking to hear Paul Simon...and I totally can see what you mean. However, Historical Conquests really grew on me and I think this album will too (when it actually comes out!).

dang...and I just read the NPR review where it says
    Quote Originally Posted by NPR Quote
    Ritter's category lacks a name, but it has a sound, a vision and a sense of poetic determination that puts So Runs the World Away on a level reserved for records such as Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind, Tom Waits' Rain Dogs and Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water. High praise, to be sure.

Speaking of Simon, Ritter recalls the melancholic side of that legendary songwriter in the epic "Another New World," as well as his perky side in "Lark." In the murder ballad "Folk Bloodbath," he imaginatively rewrites Blind Willie McTell's "Delia," while in the anthemic rocker "Lantern," Ritter explores love, risk and emotional safety.

Some of this:

Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

Some of that:

Adam Arcuragi - I Am Become Joy

And some of the bizarre:

The Necks - Music for the Film The Boys
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I've been craving Cee Lo lately.
    I need more of Cee Lo and not Gnarls Barkley.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks

David Sanborn doesn't get a lot of traction from jazz purists as his style often borders somewhere between traditional and the Nu-Jazz. Closer stradles the line again, with a smoothness and mellow quality absent in some his more recent work. The sound quality is excellent (you can occasionally hear the rattle in his mouthpiece) and the instrumentation is spot-on. Highly recommended if you're a jazzhead in search of something "borderline different but familiar"...
    Spot on. I borrowed it from the library. The recording quality alone makes it a gem, sounds very immediate in my system.

As for his style, I can take it or leave it. I do enjoy some older George Benson, and I liken this to that.

The vibes are so wonderfully recorded, a real testament to studio improvements.

I also borrowed a DVD of a Sanborn performance at Montreux in '84.

Perhaps I can return the favour Bobsticks. An amalgamation of rock, blues and jazz...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Spot on. I borrowed it from the library. The recording quality alone makes it a gem, sounds very immediate in my system.

As for his style, I can take it or leave it. I do enjoy some older George Benson, and I liken this to that.

The vibes are so wonderfully recorded, a real testament to studio improvements.

I also borrowed a DVD of a Sanborn performance at Montreux in '84.

Glad you enjoyed it. I also generally prefer the masters but Sanborn's stuff is close enough to that edge that with the sound quality it makes for a decent occasional escape from the norm.

Love me some Charlie Hunter too, but you had already returned the favor...hadn't pulled out that ragged copy of Badmotorfinger in quite some time. Kim Thayil doesn't get enough credit as having been one of the original purveyors of the drop tunings that are so present in today's schlock/glam cookie monster fodder...

Noddinoff, what do you know about MGMT? They are not my usual thing but I ordered their new album Congradulations. I've only heard samples. The album should be here in a couple days.

Tonight I listened to some Talking Heads, Best of as I am not a huge fan. And rocked Ozric Tentacles, Spirals In Hyperspace. I am a huge fan of OT.
    I know that the LP of their first release is engineering like total sh!t and you really are better off with the mp3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    WOW - that name and cover really have my attention - i'll have to keep an eye out for it.

picked up the new (old now I suppose) Sigur Ros on vinyl. It is very nice so far, but it could use some more headroom in recording I think. On the last track on side B the cymbals were really crackling up and sounded really distorted and gated. Don't know it is an effect that is suppose to sound that way, or maybe too much compression in the mix, or something wrong w/ my TT.

Oh yeah, so far this music is pretty much just what I needed. Something big, sad, and makes me feel a little better about life.

Page 95 of 129 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 105 ... LastLast

Thread Information