Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What R U Listening To Now....??

I am enjoying Ray Charles' "duets" disc: "Genius Loves Company". It's a disc my wife received for Christmas.

Man, Ray truly was the man. My favourite is his duet with Willie Nelson singing "It Was A Very Good Year".

So.........What's playing on your player, right now??

audiobill

Forum Regular
    Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd, I have this in my will to be played at my Funeral. Just imagine Gilmore playing that sweet lead as they take me to the grave, :-)

42 Regular
    NP: Slosh's fine year-end comp.

Before that, it was Joe Jackson's Big World disc...a semi-forgotten classic.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

Taking a break from 2004 albums

Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Since no one did a Tuesday Rotation this week, here's about 10 that have made recent appearances around my player (with apologies to the dial-up users - but you don't have to wait )

BTW, animated GIF is big because I created it with Microsoft's free little GIF animator available at http://msdownload.microsoft.com/msdo...r/gifsetup.exe and it doesn't have any optimization features like the more professional ones you have to pay for. But on the other hand, it is very simple to use
    Last edited by Davey; 12-29-2004 at 04:21 PM.

Working on my year end comp so I just finished up with American Music Club's Love Songs For Patriots. I feel confident that a track will make the cut. I currently have about 35 tracks ripped and about 10 albums yet to go. CDRs are way too small.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

XTC- Apple Venus one just ended.

Now starting Tony Levin's Pieces of the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I currently have about 35 tracks ripped and about 10 albums yet to go. CDRs are way too small.
    If you have a problem getting it edited down to the 15 song range (and that should be about the limit for this type of thing, IMO ) just post the list and I'm pretty sure that some of us more critical posters will be happy to give you some help. Ho ho ho, that one sucks like a turbo Electrolux! And, don't even get me started on that next song! And, you don't really like that album, do you?! And, hold on a sec while I get out my thesaurus and look up some more colorful synonyms for expressing my displeasure with that selection! Or maybe post it at obner...they're a little better at [non]constructive critiques

You're welcome, in advance...

The Kinks

Courtesy of our buddy MGH. Guess I whined enough about never hearing this album, (and for that matter another classic album from Big Star), in a thread a few weeks back that J took pity on me. What a fantastic Christmas present. Thanks J.

Next up, my other musical X-Mas present, this one courtesy of my brother...

OK, so he's no J as far as musical taste, but hey, at least it's on vinyl ;-)

Hope everyone one had a holly jolly Christmas.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

BTW, I'll hide this down here so as not to displease the management as much, but those stupid vibrantmedia.com parsed-in ad links were slowing down my computer and generally just plain annoying, so I got rid of them. So take that !!!

Just go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and edit the file named hosts by adding the following to it with at least one space between the IP and hostname and then restart the browser...

127.0.0.1   itxt.vibrantmedia.com

[127.0.0.1 is a loopback network connection to your own machine]

Of course, with a little imagination you can figure out how to block all the advertising images the same way, but maybe better if you do that one on your own

And Broken Social Scene is coming through the airwaves right now with "cause=time". Very cool song and still one of my favorite albums of the last few years.
    Last edited by Davey; 12-29-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    If you have a problem getting it edited down to the 15 song range (and that should be about the limit for this type of thing, IMO ) just post the list and I'm pretty sure that some of us more critical posters will be happy to give you some help. Ho ho ho, that one sucks like a turbo Electrolux! And, don't even get me started on that next song! And, you don't really like that album, do you?! And, hold on a sec while I get out my thesaurus and look up some more colorful synonyms for expressing my displeasure with that selection! Or maybe post it at obner...they're a little better at [non]constructive critiques

You're welcome, in advance...
    If you did that to me, I'd include only the ones that everyone else vetoed...erm...criticized, just to be...well...me.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    And Broken Social Scene is coming through the airwaves right now with "cause=time". Very cool song and still one of my favorite albums of the last few years.
    No matter how hard I try (and I've tried!), I just can't see the attraction to Broken Social Scene.

I've been listening to Sloshy's year-end comp. Right now, specifically, Fortress by Pinback is playing. There's a lot of stuff on here that I like. I suspect this disk will lead me into a little buying spree as soon as some bills get paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    No matter how hard I try (and I've tried!), I just can't see the attraction to Broken Social Scene.
    Now wait just a confounded minute there Missy, are you trying to imply that my taste in music is less than exemplary? Hehehe, I do know a mutual nonfriend of ours that would most likely agree with you

Pinback is pretty cool. I'm glad that Sloshy took them under his wing since I really like them and their sister band, Black Heart Procession. Check out their more rocking roots in Three Mile Pilot if you get around to it. Cool stuff. There's a website I've mentioned before with lots of stuff to download.

Nick Cave keeping me company this evening from The Lyre of Orpheus disc in his latest set.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Now wait just a confounded minute there Missy, are you trying to imply that my taste in music is less than exemplary?
    Me imply that? Never!!! Besides, I am basing my opinion on having only heard four songs by the band. But I can't even listen to one song from start to finish. So...there you go.

Pinback is pretty cool. I'm glad that Sloshy took them under his wing since I really like them and their sister band, Black Heart Procession.
    I didn't know that they were sister bands. BHP is another band that I've come to like based on songs that I've heard on comps. Although, I haven't ventured into buying a CD of their's yet. One day....

Is Three Mile Pilot the name of another, related, band or the name of an album?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Is Three Mile Pilot the name of another, related, band or the name of an album?
    TMP was founded by Pall Jenkins and Armistead Burwell "Zach" Smith IV (usually shortened to ABSIV) with Tom Zinser (drums) and later Tobias Nathaniel (keyboards). Both Pall and Zach do the singing. In 1997 they decided to put TMP on hiatus, probably because they weren't selling any records.

Black Heart Procession was then formed by Pall Jenkins and Tobias Nathaniel in 1997 with drummer Mario Rubalcaba. They really broke out with their second album 2 in 1999 which remains my favorite by a wide margin. Very dark and moody and solemn, much like Nick Cave. But it really goes beyond that comparison and flows so well as an album. The last one called Amore del Tropico is very good and more upbeat, but just doesn't have the depth of emotion of the earlier works like 2 and 3.

ABSIV got together with Rob Crow of a band named Thingy (that I know nothing about) and formed Pinback. I think the recordings are just the two of them but they bring in three others when they hit the road. In my opinion they've peaked on this latest Summer In Abaddon, but not everyone agrees. In any case, the two bands Pinback and BHP don't really sound much alike, even though they do each have some connections to the sound of TMP. It would be fun to put a comp together with all three bands to show where they went and where they came from. Hmmm, maybe.

It's a very similar story to what happened with Uncle Tupelo when the founding members split to form Son Volt and Wilco. But apparently there isn't any animosity in the case of Three Mile Pilot and they are supposed to be joining up to put out a new album before long.

Forum Regular
    The latest disc by Enuff Z'Nuff. Great disc that is in a similar vein as Cheap Trick. Their look may make you think of some washed up Glam Metal band but they are far from it. This is a great disc.

EDIT: It's called ?

Pinback - Blue Screen Life, the song "Prog", more specifically. See? I do listen to some prog

I need to get me some Three Mile Pilot today. I did see one of their albums yesterday but it was from 1994 and I've read 3MP's more recent albums are more rawkin', of the GvsB ilk. Guess I'll find out if that's an apt comparo soon enough.

I'm in the mood to hear NIN's "Suck". It's been a while so I'll hafta dig out my Broken CD. Why'd it have to be placed as the 99th track?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar
    NP: Martin Scorsese Presents: The Best of the Blues.

I got it as a Christmas gift from my sons along with the entire DVD set, which makes me one very happy camper. I already had most of the cuts on the CD, but there are enough 'new' ones to make it worthwhile. Besides, I can't think of any other Blues compilations that mix Cassandra Wilson and Los Lobos with Ray Charles, Howlin' Wolf, Son House, Bessie Smith, and Robert Johnson (to name but a few).

So JC, how many copies do you want? (*wink wink nudge nudge*)
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Robert Cray and N Young's G Hits. Best blues was one i cant find. The Fillmore concert,in the spotlight on PBS. Producer Martin Scorsese. Oh,it was Eric Clapton doing the best blues i've heard him do with the best band,Dave Bronze,Simon Clark,Andy Fairweather,Roddy Lorimen,Andy Newman and a few others. I have it on VHS but man,if i could find it on CD or DVD.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chip_B
    NP: Martin Scorsese Presents: The Best of the Blues.

I got it as a Christmas gift from my sons along with the entire DVD set, which makes me one very happy camper. I already had most of the cuts on the CD, but there are enough 'new' ones to make it worthwhile. Besides, I can't think of any other Blues compilations that mix Cassandra Wilson and Los Lobos with Ray Charles, Howlin' Wolf, Son House, Bessie Smith, and Robert Johnson (to name but a few).

So JC, how many copies do you want? (*wink wink nudge nudge*)
    Bessie Smith signs the Blues like no one else.
    We took in a show of a woman who does Bessie Smith 'covers'. Man oh man was it smokin' in the club as this local girl transformed into Bessie.

I bet that Best of the Blues set is hot!!

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Bessie Smith signs the Blues like no one else.
    We took in a show of a woman who does Bessie Smith 'covers'. Man oh man was it smokin' in the club as this local girl transformed into Bessie.

I bet that Best of the Blues set is hot!!
    Absolutely. It's a great mixture of original masters, 'golden era' performers, and current Blues/jazz/rock artists. Here's the tracklist:

1. Crossroad Blues - Robert Johnson
    2. Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan) - Bessie Smith
    3. Devil Got My Woman - Skip James
    4. Evil (Is Going On) - Howlin' Wolf
    5. (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man - Muddy Waters
    6. Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker
    7. Death Letter Blues - Son House
    8. Hard Times (No One Knows Better Than I) - Ray Charles
    9. I'd Rather Go Blind - Etta James
    10. The Thrill is Gone - B.B. King
    11. All Your Love - John Mayall and the Blues Breakers w/Eric Clapton
    12. One Good Man - Janis Joplin
    13. Red House - Jimi Hendrix Experience
    14. One Way Out (live) - Allman Brothers Band
    15. Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
    16. Am I Wrong - Keb Mo'
    17. Just Won't Burn - Susan Tedeschi
    18. Voodoo Music - Los Lobos
    19. Vietnam Blues - Cassandra Wilson
    20. Round and Round - Bonnie Raitt
    21. I Pity the Fool (live) - Robert Cray & Shemekia Copeland
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

What's wrong with...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Working on my year end comp so I just finished up with American Music Club's Love Songs For Patriots. I feel confident that a track will make the cut. I currently have about 35 tracks ripped and about 10 albums yet to go. CDRs are way too small.

jc
    ...2 discs? Worked for me.

fp

That track list didn't lose me but in a small couple of places..................

whew.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular
    An Adam Ant comp cd made by JC a few years ago. A great compilation of his material. I'd like to hear more of his stuff. What album(s) are a good starting point?
    b.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information