tp
    Forum Regular

Anything better than, Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over"

Hi all,
    i have Hell freezes over by the eagles on dvd, and think its my best sounding dvd. is there anything else out there thats on the same level or better?? if so please let me know.
    thank you
    Tp

Forum Regular

excellent

The DVD you mentioned is exceptional within the context of 5.1 Dolby or straight stereo.

Many, many good sounding concert DVD productions exist, but they usually don't match up to HFO.

The only DVD I have heard that is as good the EAGLES DVD is from Fleetwood Mac --

THE DANCE.

Sound and picture are absolutely flawless.

Close seconds:
    Steve Hackett -- THE TOKYO TAPES
    Roger Waters -- IN THE FLESH
    Dream Theater -- LIVE AT BUDOKAN

tp
    Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info Master.
    Tp[

QUOTE=MasterCylinder]The DVD you mentioned is exceptional within the context of 5.1 Dolby or straight stereo.

Many, many good sounding concert DVD productions exist, but they usually don't match up to HFO.

The only DVD I have heard that is as good the EAGLES DVD is from Fleetwood Mac --

THE DANCE.

Sound and picture are absolutely flawless.

Close seconds:
    Steve Hackett -- THE TOKYO TAPES
    Roger Waters -- IN THE FLESH
    Dream Theater -- LIVE AT BUDOKAN[/QUOTE]

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Hell Freezes Over is a great recording.

Quote Originally Posted by tp
    Hi all,
    i have Hell freezes over by the eagles on dvd, and think its my best sounding dvd. is there anything else out there thats on the same level or better?? if so please let me know.
    thank you
    Tp
    But the best concert recordings that I've heard so far have to be the MTV Unplugged series. Alice in Chains is my favorite, the audio on that recording is supurb.

The Eagles also have included a DVD single in the greatest hits double set for the song Hole in the World. The audio on that is simply incredible.

42 Regular
    MasterCylinder is right about those Roger Waters and Fleetwood Mac discs. I would also add the recent Peter Gabriel release, Growing Up.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I guess you mean technically (audio & video quality), so these are as great as the Eagles dvd you mentioned:

STEVE HACKETT - Once Above a Time
    PROCOL HARUM - Live at the Union Chapel
    YES - Symphonic Live

All them are DTS encoded, like the Eagles', and awesome musically as well.

I love that STEVE HACKETT's The Tokyo Tapes mencioned by MasterCylinder (I find it even better musically than that "Once Above a Time" I mentioned above), but since the audio is Dolby Digital STEREO only, you should not expect outstanding quality in this respect for this dvd. That ROGER WATERS dvd is briliant musically as well, surely one of the best ever released, but keep in mind that the audio is Dolby Digital 5.1 only, NOT DTS.

Cheers,
    Demetrio.
    Last edited by Demetrio; 12-29-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Forum Regular
    James Taylor: Live at the Beacon Theater is pretty excellent, IMO.

I can go just about anywhere musically but I am always astounded at how perfect James can belt out a tune...

Forum Regular
    Roger Waters dvd.

Ozzy - Live at Budokon

Camel - Coming of Age

These suckers smoke.

Dave

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Do you have DTS 24/96 capability, or better yet, DVD-A? If so, then check out Queen's A Night at the Opera on DVD-A.

Also, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

but...but...Demetrio!?!?! I thought you said that Steve Hackett's Once Above A Time was better than Tokyo Tapes? I ordered OAAT based on your recommendation. geez, thanks!

I would also second the mention of Yes:Symphonic. I can also attest to the quality of In the Flesh, and in a few days, I will hear DT:Live At Budokan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    but...but...Demetrio!?!?! I thought you said that Steve Hackett's Once Above A Time was better than Tokyo Tapes? I ordered OAAT based on your recommendation.
    Don't worry, my friend, "Once Above a Time" is a GREAT concert dvd (both technically and musically), I'm sure you won't regret it. But please read again what I said on that previous post about this DVD: "Technically far superior to "The Tokyo Tapes" (it's DTS encoded) and musically almost as great as that one". What I meant with my statement above was that, musically considered, sometimes I find "The Tokyo Tapes" a bit better. When it comes to audio & video quality, though, Once Above a Time is far superior to The Tokyo Tapes. But fact is, both are really worth getting, so it's quite likely you'll also want both.

It's important to mention that, on "The Tokyo Tapes", there was a true supergroup on stage: Steve Hackett (guitars, vocals), John Wetton (bass, guitar, vocals), Chester Thompson (drums), Ian McDonald (flute, sax, guitar, keyboards, vocals) and Julian Colbeck (keyboards). And the setlist included not only songs by Hacket, but also many by Genesis and also some by King Crimson and Wetton. So, musically considered, this was indeed a unique, outstanding rock concert.

Another thing, you all know that I am not usually this concerned about audio and/or video quality of recordings, but since the original poster seemed more concerned about these aspects when asking for others DVD's in the same level of Eagles' Hell Freezes Over, I think it's important to tell him what other DVD's are as good as that one technically, not only what others are as good generally speaking.

Best regards,
    Demetrio.
    Last edited by Demetrio; 12-30-2004 at 03:16 AM.

tp
    Forum Regular
    Thank you all,
    you have given great input and i do have the Eagle's(audio clarity and mix,and picture is the best),James Taylor(realy good in pic and mix) and also Ozzy Live at budakon(stands out to me in the picture). all great ,but i will definitly pick up the In the Flesh, Steve Hackett, and Fleetwood Mac.
    thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrio
    Don't worry, my friend, "Once Above a Time" is a GREAT concert dvd (both technically and musically), I'm sure you won't regret it. But please read again what I said on that previous post about this DVD: "Technically far superior to "The Tokyo Tapes" (it's DTS encoded) and musically almost as great as that one". What I meant with my statement above was that, musically considered, sometimes I find "The Tokyo Tapes" a bit better. When it comes to audio & video quality, though, Once Above a Time is far superior to The Tokyo Tapes. But fact is, both are really worth getting, so it's quite likely you'll also want both.

It's important to mention that, on "The Tokyo Tapes", there was a true supergroup on stage: Steve Hackett (guitars, vocals), John Wetton (bass, guitar, vocals), Chester Thompson (drums), Ian McDonald (flute, sax, guitar, keyboards, vocals) and Julian Colbeck (keyboards). And the setlist included not only songs by Hacket, but also many by Genesis and also some by King Crimson and Wetton. So, musically considered, this was indeed a unique, outstanding rock concert.

Another thing, you all know that I am not usually this concerned about audio and/or video quality of recordings, but since the original poster seemed more concerned about these aspects when asking for others DVD's in the same level of Eagles' Hell Freezes Over, I think it's important to tell him what other DVD's are as good as that one technically, not only what others are as good generally speaking.

Best regards,
    Demetrio.

Forum Regular
    IN mine own opinion it is the best phrucking DVD that has yet been released to date. According to my brother Habib, who has a very successful stall at Punjab flea market back home, as far as US music DVDs is concerned, there is no other outseller of Eagles anywhere in the land. It must be listened to in the wholeness of DTS however to appreciate this very excellent DVD. Peace and a happy new years
    Goats goats goats, where did all the goats come from????

Forum Regular
    I watched the Steve Hackett DVD last nite (that was my New Year's Eve!) and it really is excellent. The DTS sound is great and definitely what I would think of as "audiophile". Toggling between the 5.1 Dolby Surround and the DTS track shows how much better DTS can be if the mixing is done correctly. Great stuff!

I've also watched Marillion's 2 disc Marbles on the Road and IQ's Twentieth Anniversary 2DVD set. Both of them are great as well, although IQ is only available as a PAL disc.

Hey, Progfan, I said that this Steve Hackett "Once Above a Time" was a true audiophile DVD!!! And yes, I have also noticed a huge improvenent in audio quality of DTS over Dolby Digital in all DVD's I own with the two audio decodings.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!

Demetrio.

Thread Information