Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

What did you listen to today?

I'm on a bit of a Pink Floyd kick today. I spun Wish You Were Here, then Meddle, and now I'm back to WYWH because it's so good I needed to hear it again.

I probably haven't listened to this in about 20 years, but for whatever reason "A Bit Of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning" was in my head so I needed a fix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did you listen to today?-front.jpg  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Chicago IL
    I had a morning wake up with Led Zeppelin IV

My vintage gear!!! http://i48.tinypic.com/t66o1v.png

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I started off with the Sarah Vaughn sacd (which was originally released as "Sarah Vaughn and Clifford Brown"), moved on to the obligatory YHF and then the Billy Bragg & Wilco album.

The find of the day has to be this crusty old disc from a goup of crusty old reprobates cleverly entitled "Sounds Good!2008".

Check out this tracklist:

01. One Old Woman--Nina Nastasia
    02. The Parade--John VanderSlice
    03. Talk To Me Devil Again--Magnolia Electric Co.
    04. Dinosaur Act--Low
    05. El Picador--Calexico
    06. Mexican God--Robyn Hitchcock
    07. Rock 'N' Roll Lifestyle--Cake
    08. Thursday--Morphine
    09. The Richest Man In Babylon--Thievery Corporation
    10. Paint--Galactic
    11. Future Proof--Massive Attack
    12. Slave Called Shiver--Porcupine Tree
    13. C'Mon--Guster
    14. Goner w/Souvenir--Richard Buckner
    15. Who Am I To Say--Justin Townes Earle
    16. One Voice--Wailin' Jennys
    17. Right Now--Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris
    18. St. Augustine--Califone
    19. Wolves (Song Of The Shepherd's Dog)--Iron & Wine
    20. You Can Never Go Home--House Of Freaks
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
    I probably haven't listened to this in about 20 years, but for whatever reason "A Bit Of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning" was in my head so I needed a fix.
    I'm going to have to go back and rediscover some of their catalog, since it looks like I'm going to be seeing them (yes, the original lineup) in August.

It's been closer to 30 years for me!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Because of the Rush thread, MasterCylinder got me thinking of Grace Under Pressure so I spun that and followed that with Power Windows and Signals. The music is 30 years old, but it's still so much better than most of the stuff being put out today.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Funny seeing talk of Black Sabbath. Netflix has a bunch of "Classic Album" documentaries they just added to streaming and I watched the one about Sabbath's Paranoid last night. Had me pulling that one out for the first time in a while.

They had a good one on Never Mind the Bullocks too. It was nice to see how much thought and work actually went into getting the Pistols to sound just right on that album even with members fading in and out and all the chaos surrounding everything.

On the way to work I listen to Marvin Sapp, "Never would have made it", "Amazing Grace" by The sutton turning band. On the way home It was Bernard Wright's "Master Blaster" and Brick "don't want to hurt nobody".
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone View Post
    On the way to work I listen to Marvin Sapp, "Never would have made it"...

He was one of the best defensive tackles the game has ever seen...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended

Something I never thought I would listen to

Sports Radio

Pretty sad when that is the best thing on the radio at times. I do get sick of all the Baseball talk when the Flyers are where it's at.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Coincidentally, I was absorbed by my old pre-remaster copy of The Wall and wondering how I was going to get my hands on the new remaster without shelling out the $80+ dollars they seem to think they can get

TCA ATT GGA

Rae
    I don't think I've gone 20 consecutive days without listening to one of Black Sabbath's first four albums over the last ten years or so.

This morning I borrowed a friend's car to take my housemates to the airport and discovered I'd left one of my cassettes in her glove compartment. So this morning I've listened to this four times through so far.

~Rae

On my Sunday morning drive earlier it was a compilation of Najee (Rising Sun), Al di Meola (Consequence of Chaos), Brian Simpson (Above The Clouds), Dominick Farinacci (Lovers, Tales and Dances) and Marion Meadows (Secrets) CDs. I'm still under The Shade Tree in fact. It's going to be a hot one today here in the East Bay.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Last night and earlier today I was listening to some David Bowie Ziggy Stardust from a nice reel-to-reel transfer. Sounds better to me than the SACD remaster from back in the early 2000s.Don't know all the details of the how and when, but there's a whole series out there from his peak period, supposedly transferred from 15ips reel-to-reel tapes to 24/96 PCM and then encoded to DSD for SACD-R burning, and most of them sound really nice. I'm just listening via foobar, so the DSD is converted back to PCM at the sample rate of my choice (24-88.2K). Hopefully the raw PCM files will be available at some point.

Today is mostly Cul de Sac, though. Their debut CD from 1991 on Capella (not to be confused with the later expanded remaster in 2006 on Strange Attractors that is of course much much more compressed). ECIM, or mice spelled backwards. They came on the scene pretty much fully up to speed. An old favorite that always sounds fun and adventurous, for lovers of that mostly instrumental, guitar-oriented, surf meets Middle Eastern sound, with a nod or two (or three) to Can along the way. The opener 'Death Kit Train" up at song of the day.

Yea, I've been spending some good times with that one over the last few months myself. In my case, a high quality rip of the original UK vinyl (and hence minus Wicked World). Pretty nice sounding too.

Hi Autumn,

Funny you should ask . . .

A recent renovation forced me to box up my CD's and I thought I might as well do some culling before deciding what now deserves space on the shelf, or in the hard drive.

Needless to say, there's a ton of content from this forum. And so far, I'm not sure if the value is purely sentimental, but I haven't been able to cull any of the comps from years gone by.

Presently listening to Son Volt - Creosote, from Masonjar's excellent comp A Pretty War (and wondering why the singer's voice is so familiar to me).

Snowie

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny View Post
    Hi Autumn,

Funny you should ask . . .
    Not as funny as you showing up. Nice to see you around. I hope life's been treating you well.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Not as funny as you showing up. Nice to see you around. I hope life's been treating you well.
    I see you went on an exciting road trip to visit the Swishes! I think you must hold the record for the most face-to-face meetings with fellow rave-wreckers!

When I first read the thread about your visit, I thought I read "you and your hubby, audiobill", were visiting the Swishes. I'm glad to see that you and audiobill are still happily married, but not to each other!

I received some credits on my itunes account recently, so I thought I'd check in with old gang, and see if I could get some new music recs. And for the moment, I'm looking for great songs, rather than albums. Thanks!

Snowie

While washing the car...

Camper van Beethoven - Live in Austin & Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweethearts.

While watching Italy v Spain and Canadian F1 race...

The Feelies - Here Before
    David Kilgour - Left by Soft
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

This will wake me up:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

42 Regular
    Snowbuns, ELT, and a Masonjar reference. Did I hit a time-warp or something?!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny View Post
    I received some credits on my itunes account recently, so I thought I'd check in with old gang, and see if I could get some new music recs. And for the moment, I'm looking for great songs, rather than albums. Thanks!

Snowie
    Wow, fun to see you around! There's a pretty nice song from the new Kelly Hogan CD at the top of my song of the day page (link in signature). She's been a backup singer with so many, and still tours with Neko Case, but occasionally gets coaxed to put out a record of her own since she does have such a great voice, and lots of strong writers contributed for this one, including Andrew Bird on the song of the day. The CD is unfortunately kind of brickwalled, another victim of the loudness wars, so doesn't sound very good, but the Bird track isn't too bad.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Because of the Rush thread, MasterCylinder got me thinking of Grace Under Pressure so I spun that and followed that with Power Windows and Signals. The music is 30 years old, but it's still so much better than most of the stuff being put out today.
    Because of your post, I had to go listen to my MFSL Gold copy of SIGNALS............awesome.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    I don't know about a time warp, but I am feeling a little warped by time. I'm just realizing that I was in my 30's when I first visited this forum!

I have been on youtube listening to some of the songs mentioned in this thread and I'm delighted to see that youtube now links the top tracks for each band in one link!

Listening to maf's David Kilgour song led me to The Magnetic Fields' song - Epitaph for My Heart, which I am listening to now, and really liking! I think I need to hear more from these guys.

As always, Davey knows what I like - and Kelly Hogan really hits the spot. Would you recommend the buying the album?

Checking out Future of the Left now . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    If we could just get cc and Darius to show-up the time warp would be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    I don't know about a time warp, but I am feeling a little warped by time. I'm just realizing that I was in my 30's when I first visited this forum!
    I hit the big 5-0 earlier this year so a little time travel is just what the doctor ordered, and you calling me maf also keeps me young. Thanks.

Listening again to that fabulous Heavy Eights album - thanks for bringing this great album to my attention Davey.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information