Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rae

What concerts are you looking forward to this autumn?

I go to plenty of shows, mostly bar shows or basement shows, but it seems like there's a higher number of "concerts" on my schedule for this fall... I mean shows where I'm like "I've gotta buy a ticket to that ahead of time!". On my slate:

Sept 18th - The Jesus and Mary Chain in the First Avenue Mainroom (Minneapolis)
    Sept 22nd - Swans at the Fine Line Music Café (Minneapolis)
    Sept 28th - Dirty Three at the Cedar Cultural Center (Minneapolis)
    Oct 1st - Saint Vitus at the Triple Rock Social Club (Minneapolis)
    Oct 2nd - R. Stevie Moore at the 7th Street Entry (Minneapolis)
    Oct 27th - Tinariwen at the Dakota Jazz Club (Minneapolis)
    Nov 2nd - Daniel Johnston at the Cedar Cultural Center (Minneapolis)
    Nov 18th - Earth at the Triple Rock Social Club (Minneapolis)
    Nov 23rd - Leonard Cohen at the Rosemont Theatre (Chicago)

In addition to that, I'm gonna see Jens Lekman a couple of times in Carrboro, NC and Atlanta when I'm travelling in October. There's also a Mission of Burma show that I have to miss because of a conflict and a fucking Jandek show in Mankato while I'm out of town. There're also JSBX, Laurie Anderson, Napalm Death, Melvins, Bob Mould, Magnetic Fields, and Morrissey concerts in the next three months that I'm on the fence about mostly out of sheer overwhelmed-ness.

jonnyhambone, you planning to go to any of these? What else are you guys excited about in yr own towns?

~Rae

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    yeah, there's an overwhelming # of shows coming up. I'll be going to some for sure, considering others, and some good ones just needing to skip. Pretty sure about,

Swans 9/22 - their last show at 1st Ave. was amazing! I've been listening to the live album they put out from last years tour a ton - excellent for a live recording and their new studio one just arrived this week but I'm in the middle of a move and don't have my turntable set up yet.
    Dirty Three 9/28
    considering that St. Vitus show or Grizzly Bear is also that night at 1st Ave.
    Earth 11/18 (super psyched for this!)
    Jandek in Mankato
    ...hadn't heard about the Tinariwen show. Their last show at the Cedar was pretty great so I'll be tempted.
    I think I'm missing a couple but can't think of 'em now.

Just missed the Mt. Eerie show last week at Co. Exhibits (at the the Burlesque studio) which I was bummed about. Both of his 2012 albums are pretty great and their last show at the Cedar was pretty special.
    Last edited by jonnyhambone; 09-08-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Rae
    Yeah, I was at that Mt. Eerie show... some friends put it together. Myrrh sounded totally great in that room. Hope they do more stuff there.

That Swans show is actually on 9/21-- didn't want to confuse ya. Yeah, the mainroom show was really great. I'm looking forward to seeing them in a smaller although slightly aesthetically incongruous space.

Really considering getting to the GZA show on 9/20, too... he's doing all of Liquid Swords with live backing from the guy from Wavves. JAMC + that + Swans in one week seems kind of insane, tho.

I saw Grizzly Bear a few years ago at the Cedar... at the time I was really in love with their records, too, but for some reason I just didn't feel smitten at that show. That was when the Cedar was still relatively young in their experiment with having standing shows w/a bar in the show room, etc, so part of it could've been that.

Tinariwen is actually doing two shows...? I think? You should check the calendar at the Dakota's site. A friend observed that it will probably be a bit of cognitive dissonance for those desert nomads to be in the warehouse district downtown on Halloween weekend. I'm going to try to get to the early show because my friends in Children of Euler are playing their farewell show elsewhere later in the evening.

Maybe we should meet up at either the Dirty Three or Earth show. I'd buy you a beer in the small bar or over at Palmer's, whichever...

~Rae

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    We saw Lindsey Buckingham last night. Upcoming are big tickets shows...

Peter Gabriel
    Rush
    Gordon Lightfoot.

I'm sure that there will be a few more shows added before the year is out but that's all that we've actually got tickets for so far.

oh, there's ExitMusic at the 400 Bar on Oct. 4 too.
    pretty cool duo that bridge - somehow - the gap between Radiohead and Jessie Sykes.

and Rae, yes, love to meet up for a beer. Either show, be easy to step into the lil' room at the Earth show...I'll send a pm before Dirty 3 too, see if it works there too.

Only thing I have tickets for right now is the Off! show, which I am looking forward. Deciding if I should go see the Raveonettes again. They were good last time, but sometimes I'd rather spread my concert dollars around instead of seeing the same group a bunch of times. Probably will end up at The Swans and figure that should be pretty great. That Leonard Cohen show makes me jealous, wish he were coming here. Mostly just hanging out and seeing local gigs and random noise music acts lately though.

I'm thinking about a couple

Dropkick Murphys
    Japandroids
    Leonard Cohen
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Looks like I've got a couple others coming up after all. Will probably check out Japanther over the weekend and really wanna go see Washed Out on Monday.

Rae
    Ah dang, Washed Out. That'd be fun. Is that opening for the Shins?

~Rae

Nope, they are the headliner, don't know who is opening. Playing a bar around here.

Stand back and let the professionals have their say.

Josh Ritter -what else needs to be said?

Calexico

Neil Haldstead - I dig me some Mojave 3

Pinback - yes, they're on my bucket list

Bite me *****es!
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Josh Ritter -what else needs to be said?
    I would seriously consider another trip to Philly for that one!!!

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Sept 18th - The Jesus and Mary Chain in the First Avenue Mainroom (Minneapolis)
    Well, the autumn of anticipated shows started off with kind of a clunker. The Jesus & Mary Chain were pretty bad/bored. The affected cool detachment of their heyday just reads as indifference now, and they ran through a bloodless, mistake-filled set. Part of it can be chalked up to some technical difficulties, but beyond that they seemed to not remember their songs that well or even enjoy playing them. The fuzz and feedback that made their sonic aesthetic appealing to me was also toned down and instead they hearkened to more of a mid-90s bloated britpop sound in the vein of later Love & Rockets or (shudder) Soup Dragons.

Lest I come off as completely cross I should say that I really enjoyed myself. The vibe was positive and even a half-hearted performance couldn't dampen the enthusiasm of a crowd of aging goths, romantics, and weirdos. If you're on the fence about this one, though, save yr money.

~Rae

That sucks. I would have been looking forward to that one too.

Washed Out show was good. Not a ton of variation on many of the songs, but they extended a few of them out and they have a really solid consistent catalog for me so I dug it. Fairly short set though and just Feel it All Around for an encore, although they did play a really great extended version of it. In a turn of events things got a bit weird though. Pulled a back muscle the day before and thus ended up taking way too many muscle relaxers with a glass of whiskey to make it to the show. Luckily I was able to find a couch off to the side at the venue and got myself a drink to sip on, kicked back and enjoyed the show. Had a decent view through the crowd for most of the time and I think for the laid back spacey mood of things it worked out OK in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I would seriously consider another trip to Philly for that one!!!
    No need! He just announced a show in Hamilton. It's about an hour's drive from Toronto, but on a Sunday night so I'm willing to do it. It's a tiny, intimate venue with table seating. Tickets go on sale tomorrow. Hopefully, not a lot of people are trying to get tickets because the place only holds a couple of hundred...if that.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    ended up taking way too many muscle relaxers with a glass of whiskey... was able to find a couch off to the side at the venue and got myself a drink to sip on, kicked back and enjoyed the show.
    Whoa, I think you're doing it right.

~Rae

Rae
    Really considering getting to the GZA show on 9/20, too... he's doing all of Liquid Swords with live backing from the guy from Wavves.
    I did end up going to this and I had an awesome time. The Wavves guy added nothing (the guitar during GZA's set was barely noticeable and he padded out an evening that was already behind schedule with a tedious DJ set and a truly awful opening band from Brookyln that repeatedly thanked him throughout their set for inviting them along), but GZA was marvelous and Killer Mike stole the show with an energetic, funny, and tight opening set. GZA's stage presence was by turns professorial and excitedly exultant, especially when he bantered with a few folks on the front rail or when he embarked on a tangential tribute to a few of the late ODB's verses from the early records. I was surprised that there were about half as many people at this show as at the JaMC show earlier in the week; it seemed a lot more vital.

~Rae

Melvins Lite were super cool... stand up bass, drums (and how!), King Buzzo. Not the Melvins-sludge-fest that they usually are but, frankly, this line-up/sound suits me pretty well. I picked up their new lp w/ this line up too, Freak Puke, but haven't had a chance to spin it yet. They're in the middle of a 51 shows/51 states/51 days marathon so they are in a town in your state soon...
    I've been on the fence for the upcoming Swans show this week but their new album is in-friggin'-credible I think, so I may have to rally.

42 Regular
    I'm going to go see Blondie & Devo at the Chicago Theater tonight. Not something I've been dying to see, necessarily... but Mrs. MidFi is a big fan from way back.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    I'm going to go see Blondie & Devo at the Chicago Theater tonight. Not something I've been dying to see, necessarily... but Mrs. MidFi is a big fan from way back.
    Could be fun (although not my cup of tea either). We saw The Bangles and B52s back in August. The Bangles put on a great show! The B52s, not so much. There seems to be a lot of these 80's retro tours going on.

42 Regular
    A few notable surprises last night... a) The median age of the crowd was, like us, around 50; b) Blondie opened and Devo headlined; c) Devo killed it. A lot better show than I expected from them.

I forgot how much I love that venue, too. The Chicago Theater is a great, great place to see a show and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Rae
    Sept 28th - Dirty Three at the Cedar Cultural Center (Minneapolis)
    Holy shit, the Dirty Three show. I'd seen Warren Ellis before in various configurations of the Bad Seeds and Grinderman, but I'd never seen this group. He's an unbridled madman. They played for 2˝ hours, often at a level of intensity that rivaled last week's Swans show. It's fun to watch their three different styles of playing-- Ellis clearly the id, a maniacally contorting dervish of wild hair and wild bowstring alike; Mick Turner the steady ego, laying a taciturn but muscular guitar foundation; Jim White the superego, tempering and controlling the atmosphere like a lathesman bent over his machine. They seemed a little unsteady at the beginning of the set, when Ellis' stream-of-consciousness stage banter carried the show more than the playing, but they locked in as the show progressed and the monologues took a backseat to some truly virtuosic ensemble work. Excellent show.

~Rae

truly awesome show...when they finally got Mick's guitar amped, a big shift happened musically and energy-wise. Warren's banter was pretty fun though for the first few songs. Somehow, I don't think Warren Ellis is a guy to ever really get tired. He gave that show his all though and the last few tunes, from Horse Stories mostly, were just incredible. I actually liked the bit I saw of the openers, Cairo Gang too. The couple songs I've streamed from their new one I dig and have been bummed I didn't pick up their new one on vinyl at the show. This show reinforced the fact that Warren Ellis was my favorite one to watch at the last Grinderman show too...pretty great performer and musician.

Rae
    I've fallen behind on keeping this updated. Man, the Jens Lekman shows were so good. We were a little unsure of what to expect because his latest record (a moody breakup record that took him five years to make) is a pretty marked shift away from his usual Magnetic Fields-meets-Jonathan Richman upbeat stuff into much smoother pop territory. We needn't have worried though, because he was in fine form, playing lots of old favorites and recontextualizing the new stuff so that it sounded just as good and hooky along side the old. Highlights included a positively unbridled "Higher Power" to open the Atlanta show and renditions at both shows of a non-album track called "Waiting for Kirsten" (in true Jonathan Richman style he often pauses between verses to strum and explain the lyrics to the song, this one about a night in Gothenburg when he vainly attempted to meet Kirsten Dunst at her hotel because she'd mentioned his name once in a magazine-- "she said she liked my music," he averred in his heavy Swedish accent, "and when you are a boy from a potato chips-factory town and Kirsten Dunst says that she likes your music what is there to do but casually stand outside her hotel for hours waiting for her to show up?"). He played slightly different sets at both of the shows we went to, too, which was welcome. Here's hoping he comes back to the States sooner than five years next time.

Lotsa good shows coming up, too. I think I'm going to see Le1f this weekend and then maybe Death Grips, Mykki Blanco, Menahan Street Band, Earth, King Khan & BBQ Show, and perhaps Os Mutantes before the month is out.

~Rae

Pinback tomorrow night in Philly, and I'm stoked! Their new CD, Information Retrieved, is really sold.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information