Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What brings you back here?

Seems like nowadays when I stop by Rave Recs there's almost never any new posts, and a lot of the posts that do show up slowly creep down the page with little notice. Only the rare outburst of activity. And today is no exception, so I was just wondering why some of us keep coming back and checking? Wandering around the web a little it's obvious that many of the old regulars here have other places they frequent that have much more active discussion boards, places like AA and Head-Fi and obner and hipinion and progears and stevehoffman and velvetrope and all the rest. So why here?

Just curious

I think it's the way you bat your eyes.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    I think it's the way you bat your eyes.
    Yeah, I get that a lot, but coming from an old geezer like you makes it special. Happy day after birthday and day before new year!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Smile There's no place like home

Maybe because this is the first discussion board that I frequented, it just feels like home. I can have the same discussions with the same people on other boards, but it just doesn't feel the same.

The RR gang is special. And I don't mean that in a "don't make fun of little Davey, he's special" kind of way.

Old habits die hard?

I still like it here because there are still people here with similar interests to mine and there's a long term comfortable familiarity with many members. Face it, 5 or 6 years on a message board (some of us even longer) is milleniums in web-years.

Of course, that familiarity means that there's not much new to talk about . . . which is why we need fresh blood here to start a thread that the old regulars can repeat themselves on . . . again and again.

The food. Where's those danged snacks?

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Suspended

I'm with FA and Troy

Technically the second board I posted on. Spent a useless 6 monthes on the cable board and peruzed here one day. I asked a question about a genre and some suggestions. In a week my mailbox was full. One of the first RR comps to grace my living room were a few from ChipB including the wonderful Winter Fades. Troy's Progressive Pastaiche was the first "New to me" Prog to hit my mailbox. So many others here were just as kind. At the time I had nothing to offer in return. I was told to Pay It Forward. What a great lesson inkindness. It felt good and the way the format used to be made it real fun.

I still like to see what the regulars (old timers) are listening to even if it's not my cuppa. There is a great diversity of tastes here and if not for that, I might still be listening to Smooth Jazz!

Even though I have never met anyone from this board in person, I feel like if we all could, we would be friends. From the posts from those who have had the chance to meet, it appears to be true.

NP....Santana and Mahavishnu Orchestra- A Love Supreme. I have had the internet radio station I posted about on nonstop for days. I could listen to this forever.

Hyfi

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Seems like nowadays when I stop by Rave Recs there's almost never any new posts, and a lot of the posts that do show up slowly creep down the page with little notice. Only the rare outburst of activity. And today is no exception, so I was just wondering why some of us keep coming back and checking? Wandering around the web a little it's obvious that many of the old regulars here have other places they frequent that have much more active discussion boards, places like AA and Head-Fi and obner and hipinion and progears and stevehoffman and velvetrope and all the rest. So why here?

Just curious
    Are you referring to Progressive Ears? If so, which one are you.

me too

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Technically the second board I posted on. Spent a useless 6 monthes on the cable board and peruzed here one day. I asked a question about a genre and some suggestions. In a week my mailbox was full. One of the first RR comps to grace my living room were a few from ChipB including the wonderful Winter Fades. Troy's Progressive Pastaiche was the first "New to me" Prog to hit my mailbox. So many others here were just as kind. At the time I had nothing to offer in return. I was told to Pay It Forward. What a great lesson inkindness. It felt good and the way the format used to be made it real fun.

I still like to see what the regulars (old timers) are listening to even if it's not my cuppa. There is a great diversity of tastes here and if not for that, I might still be listening to Smooth Jazz!

Even though I have never met anyone from this board in person, I feel like if we all could, we would be friends. From the posts from those who have had the chance to meet, it appears to be true.

Hyfi

Yeah, what he said...I'll add that this board reminded me why I listen to music, and not just the equipment like some audiophule.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Are you referring to Progressive Ears? If so, which one are you.
    Yeah, progears. I post over there as DesignShed. Oh wait, that's not me. I don't post there, only stop by once in a while to see what the true music geeks are up to. And in case Troy gets into trouble. You proggers are sure an opinionated lot!

But I post most everywhere as Davey, like here and head-fi and stevehoffman, although it's rare at the latter. Lately I probably post most at head-fi, but it's not very exciting there. And audioasylum where I'm currently Slider, in honor of that great Marc Bolan slice of glam, but I almost never post there anymore. Gets too hostile and no new music talk. And over at obner I usually post as blacklakebeauty, but once in awhile as Davey too. Or is it MonkeyBoy? Or was that here? Ya know, I kind of get confused sometimes about what my moniker is. But I know Davey works at most places.

Suspended
    Hey man..... you have to be somewhere, why not here. Trust me, Rave Rec is more active than any other topic on AR.

OK, now the truth, you guys are like the Borg, I CAN'T GET AWAY!!!!

Forum Regular

Antidesestablishmentariasm

I post here because Yech is my hero.

I post here because I komp, komp, komp.

I post here becasue I am bored to tears.

I post here because Finchy-poo sent me swag.

LOL

Actually it's just a good board with some good information on occasion.

Regards,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    The food. Where's those danged snacks?

jc
    Yeah. Davey keeps swearing "There will be snacks. There will be..."
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular
    Davey emailed me a 9 course dinner!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Yeah. Davey keeps swearing "There will be snacks. There will be..."
    I heard from a Bird that the time is near and we're going to meet some day, after the Apocalypse, it's gonna be great, there'll be pony rides and dancing bears, there'll even be a band, we're gonna throw away survival kits, we can start over ... and there will be snacks, there will!"

Yeah, progears. I post over there as DesignShed. Oh wait, that's not me. I don't post there, only stop by once in a while to see what the true music geeks are up to. And in case Troy gets into trouble. You proggers are sure an opinionated lot!
    They really do take it seriously over there, yeah. I like that place's loosely moderated, international feel. I got into a conversation with a 25YO Russian guy there about America's involvement in WWII. His history classes taught him that the US was hardly involved at all, tho I suppose by comparison . . . He had never heard of Pearl Harbor or the North Africa campaign. Pretty interesting. I just like that site's wide open spaces where they let pretty much anything fly . . . not just prog . . . for a while.

The unending pursuit of the best music available...

I heard from a Bird that the time is near and we're going to meet some day, after the Apocalypse, it's gonna be great, there'll be pony rides and dancing bears, there'll even be a band, we're gonna throw away survival kits, we can start over ... and there will be snacks, there will!"
    although I'm still not getting this new A.B. stuff. Good, but not great for me at this point. Mebbe it needs more time, like that Sparklehorse ceedee that took me a year or two to appreciate. Feeling pretty crappy at the moment. Up until 4 AM and we listened to more music than I can remember. Heard Skylarking in it's entirety because we couldn't make it stop, and tracks from prolly 20 or 30 others, although it's hard to count when your plowed. There's only so much wine you can drink in one life, but it will never be enough to make it to the bottom of your glass.

Gained a new appreciation for that last British Sea Power, and it prolly ranks in my top 10 for last year. I still can't say I've finalized my list, but I have a new bunch I need to buy based on the lists in the thread started by Audio Bill.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I still can't say I've finalized my list, but I have a new bunch I need to buy based on the lists in the thread started by Audio Bill.

Swish
    Yeah, I just got three new ones that I haven't really listened to yet. Didn't really pick up that much new stuff this year compared to years past, and most I did hear didn't really knock me out. But got My Morning Jacket and Archer Prewitt and Voyager One to get to know a little better before my list starts to shape up any more than it is now. And still haven't listened much to the latest Okkervil River, or Rogue Wave and a few others. Been on a Harold Budd kick lately, listening a whole bunch to his The White Arcades from 1988, with Robin Guthrie and Brian Eno and a couple others. Really nice rainy day music. And been listening to a bunch of Pinback with Blue Screen Life in heavy rotation lately. So, does Skylarking go over well with most of your friends? Guess it doesn't have too much quirk in it compared to some of their others. Or were you trying to get it to stop because people didn't like it?

The crowd was thin when we put the XTC on...

Yeah, I just got three new ones that I haven't really listened to yet. Didn't really pick up that much new stuff this year compared to years past, and most I did hear didn't really knock me out. But got My Morning Jacket and Archer Prewitt and Voyager One to get to know a little better before my list starts to shape up any more than it is now. And still haven't listened much to the latest Okkervil River, or Rogue Wave and a few others. Been on a Harold Budd kick lately, listening a whole bunch to his The White Arcades from 1988, with Robin Guthrie and Brian Eno and a couple others. Really nice rainy day music. And been listening to a bunch of Pinback with Blue Screen Life in heavy rotation lately. So, does Skylarking go over well with most of your friends? Guess it doesn't have too much quirk in it compared to some of their others. Or were you trying to get it to stop because people didn't like it?
    and there were no complaints. Trust me on that. It remains my favorite from them, although there are a couple others that I like nearly as much (Black Sea, English Settlement). I picked up Blue Screeen Life a few months back and agree it's pretty good, but I don't think it comes close to SIA. Good, but not great.

Rogue Wave, while a very nice record, is almost a bit too accessible. I've played it a few dozen times and am getting kinda bored with it already, although there are a few outstanding tunes on it (down Slosh!). I haven't heard that Robin Guthrie, but anything with Eno involved should be pretty good.

We had so much good stuff on last night...it's all starting to come back to me....including Morphine, Annie Lenox, Jeff Beck (had to hear Freeway Jam), Buddy Guy, British Sea Power, Ryan Adams & the Cardinals, Rogue Wave (by request), and jezus I can't think of the rest. Like I said, too much beer, wine & yes, even some ta-kill-ya. Ouch does my head hurt.

Speaking of Ryan Adams, have you (or anyone else out there) heard 29 yet? I read a review that said it's very dark-themed with sparse arrangements. That seems to be a bit of a departure for him, as most of his toonage is upbeat pop.

Swish
    Last edited by Swish; 01-01-2006 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I usually come for the soup, but it's the ambiance that keeps me here.

I come for the chicks. The girls here knock me out, ya know.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

this joint makes me feel normal

And I thought I was obsessed with finding good music, a bunch of you's put me to shame.
    Once upon a time you could count on Radio, your friends and just perusing records stores to find the goods. Now Radio's gone corporate (except for some college stations), most of my friends don't spend much time seeking new sounds. This place is like a digital record store where you give and take, recomend and learn. Plus I usually stop by while at work so I'm getting paid to be a raver!
    Been coming round here for over six years and we had something special going for awhile, comps flying back and forth, and lots of knowledgeable music freaks.
    The novelty of using the web to connect and seek stuff has worn off a bit, natural I guess.

42 Regular
    To listen to myself prattling on, because gawd knows nobody else wants to.

That, and the snacks. Of course.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I come back to read my funny posts. I crack me up. What would I do without me?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    It's the cool chicks and the hot snacks. Or maybe it's the hot chicks and the cool snacks.

Or maybe it's just that when I visit here, I can do so for only 5 minutes and be pretty much caught up, whereas other places take me hours.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information