Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Massive Attck's Mezzanine is certainly a favorite of mine. Very dark, visceral recording with enough guts I would even hazard to call it organic. Teardrop juts sets a mood....Am listening to thet Bjork as I write this. Human Nature and Venus as a Boy. Wow. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Massive Attck's Mezzanine is certainly a favorite of mine. Very dark, visceral recording with enough guts I would even hazard to call it organic. Teardrop juts sets a mood....Am listening to thet Bjork as I write this. Human Nature and Venus as a Boy. Wow. Just wow.
    Cool! We share similar tastes then
    I totally agree with Mezzanine, and Venus as a Boy is one of my favourites from the album, I love the violin in it.

Then you would probably dig this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7Dr...eature=related
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    This is one well-crafted recording. These may be fighting words, but I actually think it would be impossible to archive this level of quality on analog recording equipment. So many tracks, no cruft.

Yes I totally agree we met and have an all out audiophile fight - bring your Krells.

On the matter of Sufjan Steven's Illiniose,

I think you are correct in the sense that at the modest budget level they had and the variety of venues they recorded in, analog would not have worked. Analog is more expensive today to do well.

But I don't think there were so many tracks used analog would have degraded it.

Now looking at Springsteen's 2 latest releases (Magic and Working on a Dream), we have examples of digital recording at it's absolute WORST. Musically I like the releases alot, but these are perhaps 2 of the worst sounding recordings in my collection.

Now those are some fighting words (actually many Boss fans have complained about the sound Quality of Magic)

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emailists
    Now those are some fighting words (actually many Boss fans have complained about the sound Quality of Magic)
    No, actually that was pretty much the consensus around here too. I suspect the Magic tracks, in particular, sound better in a live setting & context. Maybe I'll get the live DVD release, if such a thing happens.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Silly subject to revisit, I know, but it is Friday, and it is tax day in the US, and I do have the day off, and there has been more than one Mirror Pond Pale Ale opened ...

So right now, my best ever musical epiphany is Spirit of Eden. Talk Talk. Man, I do love this record. Just everything about it. The hope and despair, the light and dark, the church, the sound, the rattle, I just can't get it out of my brain. It may be the best record ever. I have the CD, I have the remaster, the vinyl rip, the SACD rip, it just doesn't end. I've had other epiphanies, I am a music geek afterall, but this is definitely one of them. Total class.

If anyone has access to that Russian torrent with the SACD->DVD-A conversion, let me know (they won't accept me as a member in those Russian sites). I missed out on the SACD, just a bonehead. Now I need it. I do have the SACD->analog->24/96 rip, but that's a lot of processing. Still, even the CD sounds great, so no big worry here, high res might not even sound right now. Beautiful record, maybe even essential to my well being, definitely epiphanic. I don't even know why anymore, but I kinda feel that I did in the past. I remember that it was one of the first records I reviewed here, a long time ago... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF628C5.php ... might be something in my song of the day.

http://forum.hdtracker.ru/showthread.php?t=3170

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Silly subject to revisit, I know, ... So right now, my best ever musical epiphany is Spirit of Eden. Talk Talk. Man, I do love this record. Just everything about it. The hope and despair, the light and dark, the church, the sound, the rattle, I just can't get it out of my brain. It may be the best record ever. I have the CD, I have the remaster, the vinyl rip, the SACD rip, it just doesn't end. I've had other epiphanies, I am a music geek afterall, but this is definitely one of them. Total class.
    Friday again, but I have to work this one, so no Pale Ales

Anyway, still feeling big for Spirit of Eden. But this time it's fueled by the real SACD, not the analog rip but the DSD digital rip, and it does sound good. I have the ISO on my computer now thanks to those who perfected the PS3->DSD ripping process, and can play it back in foobar at whatever PCM sample rate I want. Currently set to 176400. The CD layer on this 2003 SACD is just the inferior 1997 remaster (I'd recommend the original UK EMI-Parlophone for CD), but the DSD layer was a brand new remaster, and done very nicely. It's faithful to the original CD (and likely the vinyl too, though I haven't heard it), but with some extra airiness the CD doesn't have. Of course, some will claim it's just the extra high frequency noise inherent in DSD that gives it the air, and I won't argue since I too think that is part of it since the sound does change when you try to filter it too much. But there is still a certain naturalness and ease to the sound which can be very appealing, especially with wide range music like this. Amazing album, and some fun audiophile stuff as a bonus

Friday again, but I have to work this one, so no Pale Ales

Anyway, still feeling big for Spirit of Eden. But this time it's fueled by the real SACD, not the analog rip but the DSD digital rip, and it does sound good. I have the ISO on my computer now thanks to those who perfected the PS3->DSD ripping process, and can play it back in foobar at whatever PCM sample rate I want. Currently set to 176400. The CD layer on this 2003 SACD is just the inferior 1997 remaster (I'd recommend the original UK EMI-Parlophone for CD), but the DSD layer was a brand new remaster, and done very nicely. It's faithful to the original CD (and likely the vinyl too, though I haven't heard it), but with some extra airiness the CD doesn't have. Of course, some will claim it's just the extra high frequency noise inherent in DSD that gives it the air, and I won't argue since I too think that is part of it since the sound does change when you try to filter it too much. But there is still a certain naturalness and ease to the sound which can be very appealing, especially with wide range music like this. Amazing album, and some fun audiophile stuff as a bonus
    If I burn the ISO to DVD-R will it play on my SACD player?

My soundcard won't play or pass anything beyond 96kHz at full resolution so I have to make DVD-Audio discs for higher sampling rates. I found a PS3 rip that also includes stereo 192kHz FLAC that I can use to create a DVD-Audio disc using DVDAudiofile (freeware) but I'd love to keep it pure DSD if possible.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
    If I burn the ISO to DVD-R will it play on my SACD player?

My soundcard won't play or pass anything beyond 96kHz at full resolution so I have to make DVD-Audio discs for higher sampling rates. I found a PS3 rip that also includes stereo 192kHz FLAC that I can use to create a DVD-Audio disc using DVDAudiofile (freeware) but I'd love to keep it pure DSD if possible.
    Yes, some SACD players willl play the DVD-R burned with the ISO. Check at avax for the user bambasm, I think he has a list in the SACD posts.

Yes, some SACD players willl play the DVD-R burned with the ISO. Check at avax for the user bambasm, I think he has a list in the SACD posts.
    Here's a list of both confirmed yes and no... is yours on there? Mine's not on the list, but I know it won't since it's an early Sony. BTW, 24-88.2 DSD-PCM transfer of "Desire" from Spirit of Eden at Song of the Day now. I've read that foobar isn't the best sounding software for dsd-pcm conversion, but it is easy, and I haven't tried any of the others yet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes - Fragile. 2011 SACD (Sony PS3 Rip)

Raw ISO images (SACD-R) that are burned to DVD-R can be played on several SACD players. If your SACD player is not in this list please write an ISO to disc and give it a try.

Confirmed to play
    Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD
    Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD
    Denon DBP-1611UD
    Denon DBP-2012UD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Denon DVD-3910
    Denon DVD-5910
    Denon DVD-A11
    Marantz DV7600
    Marantz UD5005
    NAD M5
    NAD M55
    NAD T585
    OPPO BDP-80
    OPPO BDP-83
    OPPO BDP-83SE
    OPPO BDP-93
    OPPO BDP-95
    Sony BDP-S180
    Sony BDP-S370
    Sony BDP-S370/BX37
    Sony BDP-S380
    Sony BDP-S470
    Sony BDP-S570
    Sony BDP-S580
    Sony BDP-S780
    Sony BDP-S870
    Sony BDP-S970
    Sony BDV-E870
    Yamaha BD-S1067

Confirmed to play after (custom) firmware update
    Pioneer DV-600AV
    Pioneer DV-610AV
    Samsung HD745/945/950
    Samsung HD841/941
    Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Yamaha DVD-S2700

NOT Working
    Accuphase DP-100
    Arcam DV137
    BBK DV727S
    Cambridge Audio DVD89
    Cambridge Audio DVD99
    Cary DVD8
    Denon DVD-1930
    Denon DVD-1940
    Denon DVD-2900
    Denon DVD-2930
    Denon DVD-3930
    EMM Labs CDSD
    Esoteric SZ-1s
    Harman/Kardon DVD 47
    Integra DPS-6.9
    Marantz DV-6001
    Marantz DV-6500
    Marantz DV-7001
    Marantz DV-9500
    Marantz DV-9600
    Marantz SA-15S1
    Marantz SA-7001
    Marantz SA-7003
    NAD T535
    Onkyo C-S5VL
    Onkyo DV-506
    Onkyo DV-SP504
    Onkyo DV-SP506
    Oppo DV-980H
    Oppo DV-983H
    Parasound D3
    Philips DVP-9000S
    Pioneer DV-563A
    Pioneer DV-565A
    Pioneer DV-575A
    Pioneer DV-585A
    Pioneer DV-600AV
    Pioneer DV-610AV
    Pioneer DV-656A
    Pioneer DV-696AV
    Pioneer DV-733A
    Pioneer DV-757Ai
    Pioneer DV-868AVi
    Pioneer DV-989AVi
    Pioneer DV-LX50
    Pioneer PD-D6-J
    Sherwood Newcastle SD-871
    Sony DVP-NS700V
    Sony DVP-NS900V
    Sony DVP-NS955V
    Sony DVP-S9000ES
    Sony PlayStation3
    Sony SCD XB940 QS
    Sony SCD-555ES
    Sony SCD-CE595
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES
    Sony SCD-XB790
    Yamaha CD-S1000
    Yamaha CD-S2000
    Yamaha DVD-S1500
    Yamaha DVD-S1500
    Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Yamaha DVD-S2700

Hmmm, well, both of my DVD-A/SACD players are Pioneer Elites, and neither of them are on any of those lists. I'll have to poke around and see if anything listed there is an Asian or European equivalent to what I have. In any case, I'm sure the 24-bit/192kHz rip sounds great.

edit: so the SACD ISO didn't work on either of my SACD players, but no matter since the 192kHz DVD-A disc I made sounds great.
    Last edited by Slosh; 10-29-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
    edit: so the SACD ISO didn't work on either of my SACD players, but no matter since the 192kHz DVD-A disc I made sounds great.
    Most of the SACD players convert the DSD stream to some form of PCM anyway since most of the D/A convertors are a multi-bit hybrid design, though it would normally be an integer division of the 2.8224MHz DSD sample rate, such as 176.4KHz. Some of the external software convertors are pretty good, so no doubt your 192K conversion sounds great.

Most of the SACD players convert the DSD stream to some form of PCM anyway since most of the D/A convertors are a multi-bit hybrid design, though it would normally be an integer division of the 2.8224MHz DSD sample rate, such as 176.4KHz. Some of the external software convertors are pretty good, so no doubt your 192K conversion sounds great.
    My receiver in my main system decodes DSD natively (via HDMI) if I don't use any bass management/room compensation and such and has top of the line (circa 2007) Burr Brown DACs. Stereo SACDs I hear unmolested, but not multi-channel. Honestly though, even if I apply bass management to stereo SACDs (to use the sub) it sounds the same to me (with deeper bass, of course). If I let the player do the conversion it resamples to 88.2kHz. The player in my bedroom is part of a stereo-only system so I don't believe there is any PCM conversion there either (it has a Sony DSD processor and Burr Brown DACs).

There's no lineage info to how this 192kHz rip was created, beyond using the SACD ISO as the source. Nevertheless it sounds a lot better than my remastered CD.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    well, I feel pretty Amish. I have a decent vinyl copy and I put the needle on it, put on my headphones and sit down. It sounds good. I turn on my tube amp and it sounds better. I turn it up. I crack a Surly Darkness Imperial Stout and it sounds a bit righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone View Post
    ...and it sounds a bit righteous.
    Well, I think most of us that love Spirit of Eden wind up at that same place, that's why we listen. As I said recently in the What's Spinning thread, if only the original CD was available, I'd still be plenty happy. If it wasn't so righteous to begin with, I wouldn't bother, but the other stuff does make for some extra audiophile fun on the side.

Been listening to Bowie's Ziggy Stardust SACD quite a bit lately too, including right now on headphones before the 49ers play. His catalog has had so many mastering ups and downs over the years, both vinyl and CD, but this one sounds really good. Kind of reminds me of the nice sounding MFSL vinyl, but without the unnecessary smiley face EQ. Still a touch bright, but it always was. Fun record, and this just may be the best version available. Got a Mirror Pond Pale Ale in my system, and another on the way, and this one sounds pretty righteous too... Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I guess if I could add to my list, it would be albums of different genres that were not on my radar up until that point in time.

Donald Fagen's The Nightfly was my gateway into jazz, really expanding my horizon. Yeah, Steely Dan was steeped in jazz, but this was a real labor of love on Fagen's part, capturing the vibe of a bygone era. One of the best sounding CDs ever.

Garth Brooks made me reconsider my dismissal of country-western music with his release of No Fences, actually rekindling a short-lived interest in country music in the '90s.

As much as I still chuckle at the old joke that owning a modern stereo rig and being into new age jazz was like owning a thousand-dollar windchime, I am still surprised how much Andreas Vollenweider's White Winds still has a grip on me. I even tried to delve into other artists within the genre as well as other Vollenweider releases, but I never found anything that stuck like that one album. Everything else is coma inducing.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries - I knew I was delving into an album that included cookie monster/death metal growls, but I was so enamored with their "all normal vocal" album Damnation that I had to check this out and as bracing as those CMVs are, this is such a work of dark beauty. Its the only album of this type I can listen to from start to finish, from this or any other band. Lord knows I tried.

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach - I admit this one of those albums that I would otherwise have never paid any attention to if I didn't have kids. A few of Gorillaz tracks made their way to my ear prior to this album, but when I initially bought this album as a gift to my strepson I had no idea how much I'd like it. I wound up buying my own copy of it after he left home (finally).

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - yep, yet another influence from one of my kids, this time my daughter. She actually has quite the admiration for a lot of my collection, but upon hearing the jiggy mix I was making for the wife and I, she remarked that I might like the new Daft Punk, something I dismissed until months later. I abhore auto-tune, but she said it reminded her of some ELO and explained they're pretending to be robots exploring human emotions, so I venture a listen. I'm sure some would say this isn't a real good example of Daft Punk or the genre, but I find I'm enjoying quite a bit. More like something Air or Stereolab might have put out at one time.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - yep, yet another influence from one of my kids, this time my daughter. She actually has quite the admiration for a lot of my collection, but upon hearing the jiggy mix I was making for the wife and I, she remarked that I might like the new Daft Punk, something I dismissed until months later. I abhore auto-tune, but she said it reminded her of some ELO and explained they're pretending to be robots exploring human emotions, so I venture a listen. I'm sure some would say this isn't a real good example of Daft Punk or the genre, but I find I'm enjoying quite a bit. More like something Air or Stereolab might have put out at one time.
    Thread revival!
    Hmmmm. There's so much good press on RAM and I've tried to listen to it several times but just can't maintain interest. I keep wondering if it's one of the many albums that I'll find I like about 5 years after the fact. I'll have to spin it again and try again.
    TCA ATT GGA

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff View Post
    Thread revival!
    Hmmmm. There's so much good press on RAM and I've tried to listen to it several times but just can't maintain interest. I keep wondering if it's one of the many albums that I'll find I like about 5 years after the fact. I'll have to spin it again and try again.
    Might just be the right piece of music at the right time, who knows, 5 years ago I may have hated it. I'm not a huge fan of the mechanized vox and it helps that there's guest vocalists on it. Those mechanized vox are sure to wear thin in the long run. Besides that, there's nothing terribly innovative here or experimental sounding that distinguishes them from others, except for a really keen ear for late '70s adult contemporary and disco sounding music. I've read where a lot of fans were dissapointed with it. I only go as far back as the Tron soundtrack so I didn't have any reference point.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Kind of Blue, Milles Davis
    That album changed everything.

Doing a search and found my old thread and realized I'd have to add at least one more....

James Brown's "Live at the Apollo"/"Sex Machine" - Oh this is what they're talking about.

Tower of Power's "Tower of Power" - Horns so sharp they could cut steel!

Lauryn Hill's "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" - Amazing album I still listen to 4 or 5 times a year.

Worf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information