Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I only mention it to show that I'm giving it a fair shake

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Ya know, there's probably a few people around here that would love to trade you something for that PT DVD. I'm almost tempted to offer something just so you'll quit griping about it (I said almost ). You might even be able to finagle a movie you haven't seen before, or a concert DVD, or something.
    Yeah right. Like anyone who would actually want it would have anything worth trading for . Besides, it's already taken by a friend who likes Rush, Dream Theater, and King's X (although I don't hold that against him. Honest!)

Oh yeah, and a lot of people are probably happy that more bands don't sound all whiney and dreary like SDRE
    Yeah, but who cares about them?

~Slosh - my love is bigger than your love, sing it

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    *A Sepultura comp I did for Stone and Rae a few years back
    Could I get a copy of that Sepultura comp please?

I will gladly reciprocate.

I've got more PT if your interested

Or perhaps a copy of one of my two world famous comps.

No SDRE though.

Private message me if you're interested. Or email me. You may or may not still have my home addy.

tullmanATcharterDOTnet

Dunka
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

No remorse, no reply

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Could I get a copy of that Sepultura comp please?

I will gladly reciprocate.

I've got more PT if you're interested

Or perhaps a copy of one of my two world famous comps.

No SDRE though.

Private message me if you're interested. Or email me. You may or may not still have my home addy.

tullmanATcharterDOTnet

Dunka
    I've gotcha covered. I'll even toss in a copy of The Rising Tide (sshhh) just to show that I'm not (totally) insane

No trade necessary (unless I think of something later ).

BTW, I did make a CD-R copy of In Absentia but I doubt I'll spin it much more. I listened fully at least ten times and there just ain't nothin' there to sink my teeth into. Oh well, ya win some and lose some but at least I don't have to wonder what if...

I don't wanna talk about it
    I don't wanna
    NO!
    Last edited by Slosh; 04-20-2004 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo, and not even mine!

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze

Me too, Sloshy..... That cut is from Setlist- kinda worrried me to sling a live cut in the middle of stuff, but THAT song knocks me backward everytime I hear it, so I decided what the phuch- I'm on the hunt for some studio stuff now. Them Irish working-class boys rawk pretty good.
    Hey, I'm an Irish working, ehem, class... boy. Yeah, I'll have to poke around the net to see which of their albums to start with. Probably has been mentioned at this very site, even.

~Slosh - rice is nice

Moocho Grassyass, Seenyore.

I've gotcha covered. I'll even toss in a copy of The Rising Tide (sshhh) just to show that I'm not (totally) insane

No trade necessary (unless I think of something later ).

BTW, I did make a CD-R copy of In Absentia but I doubt I'll spin it much more. I listened fully at least ten times and there just ain't nothin' there to sink my teeth into. Oh well, ya win some and lose some but at least I don't have to wonder what if...
    Thanks Slosh.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Hey, I'm an Irish working, ehem, class... boy. Yeah, I'll have to poke around the net to see which of their albums to start with. Probably has been mentioned at this very site, even.

~Slosh - rice is nice
    I have For the Birds, and although I think it's a nice album, it's not one that has made a huge impression on me and has been sitting on the shelf untouched for over a year. I'd say the 3-star rating at AMG may be a bit low, but not by too much. I'd probably give it a 7.2 on the P'fork scale.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Been able to listen to quite a lot while at work this week...

Bent - Everlasting Blink
    Nobody - Soulmates + Pacific Drift. Dusty was right, not earth shattering but worth keeping an eye on. Some compable tracks.
    Lyrics Born - Later That Day
    Manitoba - Up In Flames
    El P - Fantastic Damage
    Can Ox - The Cold Vein
    Diverse - One am. Pretty fine, lots of RjD2.
    DJ Krush - Code 4109. Minimalist instrumental hip hop with a few compable tracks.
    Rjd2 - Deadringer.
    Nina Nastasia - Run To Ruin
    DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Brainfreeze and Product Placement. The ultimate DJ mixtapes, if you can find them...

Chris.

Been so busy lately between DJing, returning to heavy Ebay CD selling for the first time in a long time, and actually starting a new part-time job myself (congrats, Jim!) that I honestly haven't been able to listen to much new music lately. I spent a good 2 or 3 weeks listening to nothing but the stuff I already bring with me when I DJ to get a better handle on what tunes to hit & which ones to avoid...the bar in question is very cool about allowing people to play whatever they want, though they want pretty much all upbeat stuff, no ballads...some would find this restrictive, but it's fine by me. So that took up a lot of my time. I did manage to hear a couple of really good things, though: the first, and most highly recommended, is a new Astralwerks comp of a singer named Candi Staton. I'd never heard of her, myself. If you dig 60s soul, in the mold of Aretha/Gladys Knight kind of stuff done by people like the Atlantic/Stax/Muscle Shoals type crew of people, this is right up yr alley. Some of those people were involved in this, can't speak to specifics right now, but it's definitely up there with anything in that vein, and if you're reading this far, then you probably know what I'm talking about. Look her up & get it. Outstanding 26-track retrospective.

Also dug the relatively recent issue of some 1960s Little Richard sides that he did for the Okeh label. 17 tracks, from around 1966-67, way past his heyday, obviously, but still mighty groovy, even if it's not as frenetic as his Specialty work. Chop a stranger up w/a hatchet for the Staton (or at least ask me to send ya a sampling), but keep an ear out for this as well. Definitely recommended.

Heard a GREAT new garage punk CD by a dang fine new garage punk band called the Little Killers. Much as I love so much that the Crypt label has put out over the years, its mere presence has never been an indication that whatever they put out is perfect, by any means. When it comes to stuff they've put out that was recorded within the last 20 years, I do love the Devil Dogs stuff, or most of it, at least (their 2nd & 3rd albums are as good as garage punk gets), but I thought they started putting out Raunch Hands records at least one album too late. And the New Bomb Turks & others struck me as acts that had all the right ideas & the right sound & the right approach...and no songs. Well, this Little Killers album is absolutely outstanding. No songs that jump out as being anything particularly special, just an overall feel & vibe that warms my tummy, not to mention other regions. Goo-ood stuff. Oh, and in a similar vein, the most recent Southern Culture On The Skids rec is pretty good, too. But the Little Killers rock a bit more & overall I got more jollies from it.

Heard a few things that were mostly just 'eh' but had a few good tracks here & there: a few blues comps from the Blind Pig label that feature scantily clad girlies on the covers; the most recent Kid Rock album; the soundtrack to American Wedding; a Rounder Records take on what Moby did with Alan Lomax's field recordings, called 'Tangle Eye;' a compilation of world music from South Africa, '16 Hits From The City Of Gold;' and the most recent Yeah Yeah Yeahs rec, which I like an awful lot better than the one they put out a couple of years ago. Still not quite my cup of tea, but there's at least a rock'n'roll tune worth hearing on this one, whereas the last one sounded like what I would expect John Zorn would've rejected as outtakes if he'd taken it upon himself to make a rock record.

Should mention that Rae was in NYC last weekend & my wife & I hooked up with him & we took a lovely walk from the South Street Seaport down to the Battery, up the Hudson through Battery Park City, and then through Tribeca, SoHo, & Chinatown before we collapsed at our LES pad & left him to trek up into the East Village to hit the fanzine store See Hear. We had a great day & a really good time with Rob, the 2nd time I've had the pleasure of hanging w/him. Unfortunately he doesn't have too much computer access these days; I think this board misses him.

Lastly, I am currently listening to a 4-CD box set that comes out in about a month--the Faces: Five Guys Walk Into A Bar. I don't think I had any of this stuff, really. Truly amazing, at least what I've heard so far. More than 5 hours' worth of stuff on this upcoming set, 67 songs, I'm sure it'll be an amazing package...very, very, very good. Get it when it comes out. I say it'll make a better investment than another remaster of a recording you've owned 5 different editions of over the past 30 years. Oh...I have a copy of Yes Remixed sitting here. Should I dare listen to it? If I can restrain myself then maybe I'll find the time to give Outkast or Radiohead another chance. But that just doesn't seem all that fruitful a proposition when I have Link Wray, MC5, Dave Edmunds, Wanda Jackson, Undertones, Howlin' Wolf, & Misfits CDs sitting in a stack in front of me, topped off with the soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou. But I will go back & give the new Toots & The Maytals duets album another chance. Dunno, tho, I only have so much patience for these Santana-esque collab efforts. It just wasn't that good.

I don't like others.

Forum Regular

Robert Rich and Snow Patrol

Isn't that one of the most incredible recordings you've ever heard? Great music too. Love it. Haven't listened to it in ages myself - need to pull that one out and give it a few spins.

Been hearing a lot of good stuff about that new Snow Patrol. You guys around here sure are on top of things these days. How do you like it? RIYL?

EDIT: Oh, I see that the Snow Patrol has been available in "a sometimes wet and damp York, England" for about half a year. It was just released here a couple weeks ago, I think. Looks like you get bonus tracks too! Of course, you guys pay about $25 for your CDs too, eh?
    That Seven Veils is an incredible recording it has just about the deepest soundstage of any recording I own and sounds incredible even on my modest system, I particuIarly like the Eastern influence. I'd like to try some of his other works but he has a pretty extensive catalogue and I'm not sure you need a lot of his work. Unless you can recommend any others Allmusic seem to like Stalker or Fissures. Just another example of why this board is great for sampling something new - can't think of any other way I would have picked up on him.

As for Snow Patrol (RIYL??) I think it originally came out mid 2003 and then it was re-released this year with extra tracks. I've had it a while and at first I wasn't too keen but I've since gone back to it and it's not bad. Kind of indie-pop but I'm not sure it would appeal to you indie hipsters. And it was cheap one of the reasons I bought it! we seem to be doing ok in the UK now for CD's most retail shops sell new release for under £10 and online even cheaper.

Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Been so busy lately between DJing, returning to heavy Ebay CD selling for the first time in a long time, and actually starting a new part-time job myself (congrats, Jim!) that I honestly haven't been able to listen to much new music lately. I spent a good 2 or 3 weeks listening to nothing but the stuff I already bring with me when I DJ to get a better handle on what tunes to hit & which ones to avoid...the bar in question is very cool about allowing people to play whatever they want, though they want pretty much all upbeat stuff, no ballads...some would find this restrictive, but it's fine by me. So that took up a lot of my time. I did manage to hear a couple of really good things, though: the first, and most highly recommended, is a new Astralwerks comp of a singer named Candi Staton. I'd never heard of her, myself. If you dig 60s soul, in the mold of Aretha/Gladys Knight kind of stuff done by people like the Atlantic/Stax/Muscle Shoals type crew of people, this is right up yr alley. Some of those people were involved in this, can't speak to specifics right now, but it's definitely up there with anything in that vein, and if you're reading this far, then you probably know what I'm talking about. Look her up & get it. Outstanding 26-track retrospective.

Also dug the relatively recent issue of some 1960s Little Richard sides that he did for the Okeh label. 17 tracks, from around 1966-67, way past his heyday, obviously, but still mighty groovy, even if it's not as frenetic as his Specialty work. Chop a stranger up w/a hatchet for the Staton (or at least ask me to send ya a sampling), but keep an ear out for this as well. Definitely recommended.

Heard a GREAT new garage punk CD by a dang fine new garage punk band called the Little Killers. Much as I love so much that the Crypt label has put out over the years, its mere presence has never been an indication that whatever they put out is perfect, by any means. When it comes to stuff they've put out that was recorded within the last 20 years, I do love the Devil Dogs stuff, or most of it, at least (their 2nd & 3rd albums are as good as garage punk gets), but I thought they started putting out Raunch Hands records at least one album too late. And the New Bomb Turks & others struck me as acts that had all the right ideas & the right sound & the right approach...and no songs. Well, this Little Killers album is absolutely outstanding. No songs that jump out as being anything particularly special, just an overall feel & vibe that warms my tummy, not to mention other regions. Goo-ood stuff. Oh, and in a similar vein, the most recent Southern Culture On The Skids rec is pretty good, too. But the Little Killers rock a bit more & overall I got more jollies from it.

Heard a few things that were mostly just 'eh' but had a few good tracks here & there: a few blues comps from the Blind Pig label that feature scantily clad girlies on the covers; the most recent Kid Rock album; the soundtrack to American Wedding; a Rounder Records take on what Moby did with Alan Lomax's field recordings, called 'Tangle Eye;' a compilation of world music from South Africa, '16 Hits From The City Of Gold;' and the most recent Yeah Yeah Yeahs rec, which I like an awful lot better than the one they put out a couple of years ago. Still not quite my cup of tea, but there's at least a rock'n'roll tune worth hearing on this one, whereas the last one sounded like what I would expect John Zorn would've rejected as outtakes if he'd taken it upon himself to make a rock record.

Should mention that Rae was in NYC last weekend & my wife & I hooked up with him & we took a lovely walk from the South Street Seaport down to the Battery, up the Hudson through Battery Park City, and then through Tribeca, SoHo, & Chinatown before we collapsed at our LES pad & left him to trek up into the East Village to hit the fanzine store See Hear. We had a great day & a really good time with Rob, the 2nd time I've had the pleasure of hanging w/him. Unfortunately he doesn't have too much computer access these days; I think this board misses him.

Lastly, I am currently listening to a 4-CD box set that comes out in about a month--the Faces: Five Guys Walk Into A Bar. I don't think I had any of this stuff, really. Truly amazing, at least what I've heard so far. More than 5 hours' worth of stuff on this upcoming set, 67 songs, I'm sure it'll be an amazing package...very, very, very good. Get it when it comes out. I say it'll make a better investment than another remaster of a recording you've owned 5 different editions of over the past 30 years. Oh...I have a copy of Yes Remixed sitting here. Should I dare listen to it? If I can restrain myself then maybe I'll find the time to give Outkast or Radiohead another chance. But that just doesn't seem all that fruitful a proposition when I have Link Wray, MC5, Dave Edmunds, Wanda Jackson, Undertones, Howlin' Wolf, & Misfits CDs sitting in a stack in front of me, topped off with the soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou. But I will go back & give the new Toots & The Maytals duets album another chance. Dunno, tho, I only have so much patience for these Santana-esque collab efforts. It just wasn't that good.
    The Candi Staton is an awesome collection I've waited years for this to be issued. Worth every minute I've waited.
    Portrays Candi in a much different light to the later Disco /commercial stuff that she had become known for.

The Faces my all time favorite band. I am totally geeked for this even though I have around 20 Faces boots this is the BIG one. Assembled by Ian McClagen the track list I have makes me all of a quiver shows what a great singer Rod is.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    That Seven Veils is an incredible recording it has just about the deepest soundstage of any recording I own and sounds incredible even on my modest system, I particuIarly like the Eastern influence. I'd like to try some of his other works but he has a pretty extensive catalogue and I'm not sure you need a lot of his work. Unless you can recommend any others Allmusic seem to like Stalker or Fissures. Just another example of why this board is great for sampling something new - can't think of any other way I would have picked up on him.
    I only have the one CD so can't help you too much with more Robert Rich, but I think part of the sound quality comes from the Hearts of Space label that one was recorded under so I'm not sure what some of the previous ones sound like. I have read that he really flowered as a composer on the Seven Veils album so the previous ones might not be quite as accomplished musically. But that's just a second hand anonymous opinion. Probably better to look at the amazon reviews.

I can recommend another incredible Hearts of Space release from around that same time period of mid-late 90s --- Øystein Sevåg Bridge. Kind of along the line of ambient acoustic worldbeat-jazz with a few ethnic influences. Uses a chamber orchestra at times.Very nice. Here's an excerpt from http://www.6moons.com/worldmusic/bridge.html ....

"What makes Bridge unique is how seamlessly it blends neoclassical instrumentation and compositions with the dreamy ambience of space music plus choice elements from Rock, WorldBeat and Jazz using a constantly shifting palette of 68 musicians that include a complete string orchestra, Grand Piano, acoustic, electric and bass guitar, various flutes, recorders and saxophones, Indian, Latin and regular percussion, and synthesizers."

Another to try if you enjoy the middle eastern ambient music of Dead Can Dance is the similar sounding Vas. Their last album on Narada, In the Garden of Souls, is very nice and another great recording. Like Lisa Gerrard, the singer has an incredible voice. I think she has more range than Lisa and also very expressive. I did include a song on a comp I made for Demetrio named Spirit Trip but I think he was the only one. You've probably heard most of it by now but if you want a copy just let me know. I think I have one still. It was kind of an odd collection

RIYL? = recommended if you like? Thanks for the Snow Patrol info.

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    MARE VITALIS... they do have a newer album since then that has gotten mixed reviews from what I have seen.
    That album is Two Conversations, and it's a lot more focused than their earlier work. It's a stylistic change, though, to a more straightforward emo sound. I think it's the best thing they've done.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (DVD-A) bland, bland, bland
    I got the CD version because of all the hype I was hearing about it, and I think I made it as far as track 5 on two different occasions before I simply had to get rid of it. Bland indeed.

Absolutely love that Wrens disc, though. SDRE and Uncle Tupelo are always good, too.

Oh yeah, and a lot of people are probably happy that more bands don't sound all whiney and dreary like SDRE
    Whiney?!?!?! Dreary?!?!?!
    Phfffffttttttt.

The last week from Tuesday, eh?

The Fire Theft - The Fire Theft
    New Order - Brotherhood
    Echobelly - On
    Denali - Denali
    Denali - The Instinct
    Texas Is The Reason - Do You Know Who You Are?
    Paul Van Dyk - Reflections
    The Wrens - The Meadowlands
    Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy
    Curve - Pubic Fruit
    Curve - Come Clean
    Ride - Going Blank Again
    Elliott - Song In The Air
    Before Braille - Cattle Punching On A Jackrabbit
    The Letterpress - Input/Output
    Dressy Bessy - Dressy Bessy
    Insta - Checklist For Love
    Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
    Starflyer 59 - Americana
    Pretty Girls Make Graves - The New Romance
    Fugazi - Repeater + 3 Songs

That's all I can remember...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddB
    The last week from Tuesday, eh?

The Fire Theft - The Fire Theft
    New Order - Brotherhood
    Echobelly - On
    Denali - Denali
    Denali - The Instinct
    Texas Is The Reason - Do You Know Who You Are?
    Paul Van Dyk - Reflections
    The Wrens - The Meadowlands
    Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy
    Curve - Pubic Fruit
    Curve - Come Clean
    Ride - Going Blank Again
    Elliott - Song In The Air
    Before Braille - Cattle Punching On A Jackrabbit
    The Letterpress - Input/Output
    Dressy Bessy - Dressy Bessy
    Insta - Checklist For Love
    Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
    Starflyer 59 - Americana
    Pretty Girls Make Graves - The New Romance
    Fugazi - Repeater + 3 Songs

That's all I can remember...
    I like your list.. that Texas is the Reason album is great.. I was totally not into that "scene" when it came out, but after hearing it for the first time a few years ago, I wish I would have been. I actually sold a Mineral album back then (in the mid-90's) for a few bucks I think.. had no idea they would go on to be so influential..

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I like your list.. that Texas is the Reason album is great.. I was totally not into that "scene" when it came out, but after hearing it for the first time a few years ago, I wish I would have been. I actually sold a Mineral album back then (in the mid-90's) for a few bucks I think.. had no idea they would go on to be so influential..

-jar
    Thanks. That TITR release has become one of those "special" albums that I insist other people hear if they're not familiar with the band.. I hope the Mineral album you sold wasn't The Power Of Failing, and if it was, I hope you reaquired it at some point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information