Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,916

    Up Against the Legends is a damn fun record!

    And I think Pitchfork even liked it

    Definitely got a low fidelity sound (and that means crappy, not lo-fi ) but no biggie. That's all for now. Party on.....


  2. #2
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Well if Davey and the Pitchfork both like it, it must be good. How can I make sure Finch sees this post???

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  3. #3
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636

    Or is that one of them rhetorical questions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    How can I make sure Finch sees this post???
    Post a picture.

    He likes pictures.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  4. #4
    Forum Regular audiobill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Solsbury Hill
    Posts
    715

    Cool It's the hand claps....

    For me, it's the hand claps that make the Legends fun.

    Indie pop has life again with the upbeat melodies and fuzzy guitars of this group.

    A big "thank you" to the person on this board (you most definitely know who you are), who introduced me to them.

    Dang good fun,
    Bill

  5. #5
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Well if Davey and the Pitchfork both like it, it must be good.
    Well, it is good, but I should say that it's not a total rave from me. Some of it's a blast and some of it's kinda forgettable, but overall I do really like it. Probably won't be near the top of my year end list but if you like that [now] somewhat mainstream retro sound of bands like the Vines and Strokes, this is more of the same but a little more interesting at the same time because of the Jesus and Mary Chain influence like on the BRMC debut. I also wanna hear the debuts from the Futureheads and the Earlies. Lots of good bands breaking out this year!

  6. #6
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Well, it is good, but I should say that it's not a total rave from me. Some of it's a blast and some of it's kinda forgettable, but overall I do really like it. Probably won't be near the top of my year end list but if you like that [now] somewhat mainstream retro sound of bands like the Vines and Strokes, this is more of the same but a little more interesting at the same time because of the Jesus and Mary Chain influence like on the BRMC debut. I also wanna hear the debuts from the Futureheads and the Earlies. Lots of good bands breaking out this year!
    hehe, tried to slide one by you. I ought to know better by now. Fun doesn't equal good. I did in fact realize that at the time, but thought maybe this one time...

    Of course it is very good. Some day you'll read a trendy review and realize it for yourself! (just funning ya of course).

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  7. #7
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    hehe, tried to slide one by you. I ought to know better by now. Fun doesn't equal good. I did in fact realize that at the time, but thought maybe this one time...
    You dorkus! You can't even take a sideways compliment, can you!?

    Hehehe, I made a new post about it over at obner.org because this is a serious grower and I'm digging it even a bunch more now, but that site seems to be down right now so I can't post a link for those not yet obnerized like you and me and Stone

  8. #8
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    You dorkus! You can't even take a sideways compliment, can you!?

    Hehehe, I made a new post about it over at obner.org because this is a serious grower and I'm digging it even a bunch more now, but that site seems to be down right now so I can't post a link for those not yet obnerized like you and me and Stone
    That "other place" really hasn't grown on me. What it boils down to is that it seems to be downright immature. Could be I'm just being my regular old stick in the mud self but a lot of what I've read there really turns me off. It certainly travels at the speed of light compared to this place though!

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  9. #9
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    That "other place" really hasn't grown on me. What it boils down to is that it seems to be downright immature.
    Well, I tend to agree and that has always been the problem with the CMJ site which is why I never posted over there before. Obner is a little better but still very young compared to most people here, which is why I like it here. The group is old enough to have some perspective but still young enough to talk about new music. Just about the perfect mix and such a nice group of people.....except only about 5 of those people post here anymore, which means it is for all intents and purposes dead. So I've been looking for someplace else, but my time on the net is about to be seriously curtailed so maybe not a big deal anyway. The Legends are still pretty cool

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    A sometimes wet and damp York, England
    Posts
    528

    It's a fun record but it sounds sh*te

    I kind of like the catchy tunes but that low lo-fi sounds spoils it for me, why did they go and do that it's virtually unlistenable. I do like the latest Kings of Leon, it's short under 35 minutes but to the point.

    ps What's this new site yer talking about? must have missed that

    Cheers
    Mike

  11. #11
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    ...it's virtually unlistenable.
    Hehehe, I guess you're becoming a little more discerning than me but right now I'm just using a cheapass system that keeps most things sounding OK, even if they really sound like crap on a "better" system. Ahhh, the dichotomy of the high-end

    ps What's this new site yer talking about?
    http://obner.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=1
    It's people from the CMJ board that got tired of the problems with that site so one of them created a new vBulletin type board and they moved en masse, although many apparently now post at both places. Not much music discussion though, unless your definition of discussion encompasses posting an image of what you're listening to or a list of albums you like

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. No affordable way to record HDTV, right?
    By hershon in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 11:05 AM
  3. Need help with record cleaning.
    By bturk667 in forum Analog Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 06:48 PM
  4. Do DVD recorders record Digital channels
    By Jackman in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 03:32 PM
  5. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 09:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •