Forum Regular

No affordable way to record HDTV, right?

The way I'm understanding this & to me it makes no sense, is there is no current way to record HDTV broadcast programs either by DVD, video or digital unless you want to spend $1,000 plus. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. The DVR's the cable company will rent you don't record HDTV, correct?

If this is all true, it seems they''ve really missed the eight ball on this. I imagine when these things are finally mass produced, they will go from a $1,000 to $100 or so in a short period of time, just like VCR's did.

My friend has a DVR and he saysthat it does record HD and play back in HD.
    But that is what he says, I havent seen it for myself. I think JVC makes a HD VCR and even have movies but I think it cost $2,000.00

I Found One For $400.00

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    The way I'm understanding this & to me it makes no sense, is there is no current way to record HDTV broadcast programs either by DVD, video or digital unless you want to spend $1,000 plus. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. The DVR's the cable company will rent you don't record HDTV, correct?

If this is all true, it seems they''ve really missed the eight ball on this. I imagine when these things are finally mass produced, they will go from a $1,000 to $100 or so in a short period of time, just like VCR's did.
    Mitsubishi HS-HD1100U
    http://www.audioreview.com/VCRs/pscT...1_1588crx.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Regular

Thanks Do you have it?

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    Thanks, I'll check this out. Do you have this or know anything about it?

The DVR I have from Cox Communications does have HDTV recording and playback. It also can record and playback in DD 5.1. I pay the cable company $10 extra a month (after the first 3 months of free use). So far, I have been very pleased overall with the results.

---Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Thanks, I'll check this out. Do you have this or know anything about it?
    No I do not have one. I am my Samsung SIR-TS160 HDTV Tuner is an older unit and does not have a firewire output.

Forum Regular
    I think your lucky As far as I know Time Warner doesn't have an HD DVR

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    the mitsubishi DOES NOT have an HD tuner on-board and will only record HD through the firewire (IEEE1394) connection. IF (and only if) your cable box has an IEEE connection, it should work for you...if not you're SOL with this unit.

Forum Regular
    For what its worth, I also have an hd dvr and cable service through adelphia. The box is manufactured by scientific atlanta and records hd, and dd 5.1. I have been satisfied so far especially since I dont have to miss any football games (it will record up to 3 programs at once and unlike tivo you can watch any other channel while recording).

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Time Warner uses HD DVR's from scientific atlanta, the Explorer 8000HD.

Forum Regular

Sorriy bub, You're wrong about Time Warner HD DVR at least in LA

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    Time Warner uses HD DVR's from scientific atlanta, the Explorer 8000HD.
    Sorry, you're definately wrong on this at least in LA. I just checked and rechecked the Time Warner Website in Los Angeles (San Fernando) & they emphatically stated that their DVDRs do not record in HD at present. So if you have time Warner Cable , double check before you rent a DVR if HD is a prime concern.

Time Warner Hawaii has had HD DVR's for quite a while now.

Forum Regular

Your lucky How Much does Cable Cost in Hawai?

First off, thanks for all the information on the other thread (if you have time maybe you can answer my followup question on it). Here, I though Time Warner had the same services all over the USA- wonder why you guys get the HD DVR and here in LA, the movie capital of the world, it's currently not available! Out of curiosity, as I heard Hawai is a beautiful but super expensive place to be in what is Time Warner charging you for services (approximately). They're charging me about $45 for fast speed (up to 3000K) internet service, another $59 for basic cable TV but only $14 more for Digital premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Encore, Trio, etc.) & another $6.95 for basic HD service/tuner rental. There may be another $6.95 charge for a digital box in their somewhere - not sure off the top of my head). If I was to rent their (non HD) DVR that would be another $10 or month. Are your charges similar or alot higher?

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    Time Warner Hawaii has had HD DVR's for quite a while now.

Each Time Warner division actually acts somewhat independently as to when they feel their system is ready for changes. Hawaii was actually the first market to launch the original DVR's, so I assume that's why we got the Hd version fairly early as well.

As far as pricing, it sounds like your prices are pretty much inline with ours. Roadrunner is $44.95 at regular price. Standard cable is about $38. Basic digital about $55 w/standard included. Premiums are about the same. A cable box is $6.70. DVR service is the same as your price. I think Time Warner as a company tries to standardize their pricing as much as they can. I know the individual divisions make their own deals for the basic services though.

www.oceanic.com is the website for the Hawaii Time Warner division.

Thread Information