Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Today's Tuesday, right?

This must be a first, maybe a second. I'm digging Petra Haden singing The Who Sell Out. Mostly if not completely acapella. Great stuff. There are lots of moments that remind me of parts of SMiLE, most especially the barbershop quartet parts of Heroes & Villains. Then there are other moments that sorta seem like Enya crossed with Bjork. And I like it in spite of that.

Went to see Madeleine Peyroux at Town Hall the other night so we've been digging Careless Love quite a bit, and comparing her versions to originals & others. Also the new Beck, The Essential Louis Armstrong, the Seven Steps box set, the Patsy Cline box, the Jam's Direction Reaction Creation, and some early Van Halen.

I don't like others.

Still on the bootleg kick. I've essentially bought nothing this year and yet still managed to add over 100 discs to the pile. The best thing about this whole deal has been
    that I've listened to nothing that I haven't absolutely loved. No trial and error, hit and miss, or dissappointment. Plus it's really, really cheap. Naturally somethings are
    better recorded than others but I've figured out a fairly reliable method of which recordings to go after and most are simply brilliant. So far this week:

A pro-shot Ramones DVD. I hope J, Stone, and Nobody have DVDPs that handle DVD+R media
    REM-several boots that reminded me just how much I enjoyed this band at one point. It's good to be reminded that they didn't always completely suck. One show in
    particular, an '84 show in Seattle sounds so darn good that you could easily convince anyone that it was a commercially released live album. Actually, it was recorded with
    that in mind but the story goes that a live album was "too corporate" and the band shelved the plan.
    Massive Attack
    Yo La Tengo
    The Dears
    The Killers
    The Kills
    Peter Gabriel
    Devo
    Helio Sequence
    Interpol
    Arcade Fire
    Durritti Column
    Ideal (early German New Wave)
    Wall of Voodoo-poorly recorded - but - a 1982 rendition of "The Big Heat" that would later show up on Stan's first solo album
    They Might Be Giants
    Joy Division - a sound board recording from '79. Personally I think it could stand some work and will work to eliminate the tape hiss and this will be a gem.
    The Police (79) but still don't get too excited about them
    Talking Heads
    The Sound
    Morrissey
    The Cure

jammin' jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Mostly a bunch of stuff that kind of reminds me of the Joy Division sound, partly due to Tricky Ricky's poll. Wound up throwing a bunch of songs at the wall and some of them actually stuck, so I put them on a comp and it turned out pretty cool. Still in "development" and don't know if anyone besides me would like it, but I might keep it on my computer for awhile just in case I need something to trade for a "real" comp

I call it Don't Look Down and it goes kind of like this...

Carina Round - Paris
    Interpol - Length Of Love
    Woven Hand - Blue Pail Fever
    The Black Heart Procession - Why I Stay
    Girls Against Boys - Wilmington
    Gang Of Four - Anthrax
    Joy Division - Wilderness
    Calla - Strangler
    The Decemberists - Grace Cathedral Hill
    American Music Club - Another Morning
    Pinback - AFK
    Explosions In The Sky - First Breath After Coma
    My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
    Sue Garner and Rick Brown - Short and Semi-Sweet
    Andrew Bird - A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left
    TV On The Radio - Dreams
    The Dismemberment Plan - Back and Forth

Also just got a cool comp yesterday from Mike called Static On The Radio, a title taken from that great Jim White song featuring a duet with Aimee Mann that appears about in the middle. Seems like a lot of nice ups and downs on this one but haven't listened to the whole thing yet. That Bloc Party is fun too!

Also been spending some time with the latest Finch dropping, and it's got a lot of fun stuff on it. Been tied up listening to a bunch of my own stuff lately, but gotta make it a point to play this one some more in the coming week. Cool comp!

Played that new Andrew Bird album a bunch too. Very nice. Seems to have it all on this one, at least after a few listens it really blossomed for me.

And that Petra Haden misinterpretation of the Who album sure is getting a bunch of attention, huh? Like I mentioned over at the Asylum, I love her work on that last Twilight Singers album but don't think I've heard anything else. Maybe something from her last band? I don't remember, I don't recall, I got no memory of anything at all....hey, speaking of Peter Gabriel, I did listen to his daughter Melanie last week on the latest Hector Zazou album....how's that for free association. And I thought my last working brain cell died off last year. Ha!

I’ve been listening to the stuff I posted about from the record show. Mostly, been getting into the jazz records. A couple I’ll highlight are…

Count Basie Swings and Joe Williams Sings
    1957 release featuring the debut recordings of Joe Williams with Basie, features a variety of tracks, including a brilliant version of the Memphis Slim blues classic, Everyday I Have the Blues, which goes a long way to illustrate the way of jazz and blues are forever intertwined. Great, swinging stuff.

The President Plays with the Oscar Peterson Trio
    Rare small group outing by “The President”, Lester Young shows off his horn without a big band sharing as much of the stage. Peterson’s trio provides ample backing and many fine moments of their own.

Earl Hines – Once Upon a Time
    Unique recording from 1966 of basically the Duke Ellington band with Hines leading them and featuring guest spots by stars like Pee-Wee Russell and others. Great stuff.

Oh…and the Etta Jones record is fantastic.

Haven’t gotten too much new lately, as in recent, although I did get to listen to the Keane album and liked it quite a bit. They remind me of Coldplay.

Been a bit of a fogey lately, digging on old favorites instead, including Chris D and the Divine Horsemen – Time Stands Still (fantastic LA roots, featuring guests from X, the Blasters, Gun Club and more), Massive Attack – Blue Lines (as much as I like their more recent stuff, this one always blows me away), Johnny Cash – Live at Fulsom Prison, Al Green’s Greatest Hits, some Clash, some reggae…

Gonna go see Kings of Leon tonight, should be a fun beer drinkin’ kinda concert in a local bar on the Mississippi.

The Clash - London Calling

Otis Redding - Live in Europe

Nick Cave - The Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

Bright Eyes - Digital Ash . . .

Chuck Prophet - Age of Miracles

The Velvet Underground & Nico - s/t

Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree (SACD)

The Postal Service - Give Up

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Hearts of Oak

Yo-Yo Ma - Obgrigado Brazil

Genesis - Seconds Out

Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove

Black Crowes - Three Snakes and One Charm

I got my hands on that Petra Haden disk 2 days a go, but haven't listened to it yet. I'm drowning in stuff I haven't heard yet- the backlog is about 18-20 right now. Haven't bought anything in 2 weeks or so, so I don't gots much to offer here, as usual.

Davey's Monkey Bones comp was mostly a winner, as expected. And that Wayne Whozit and the Hellsayers sounds very good after 2 spins.

M. Ward's Transistor Radio is a definite keeper. A little twangy, a little freak-folky ala D. Banhart, but not quite so out-there.

Listened to David Dondero's last release last night, and not sure what I think about it yet. Was definitely different than expected.

A disk full of outtakes from Dylan's Freewheelin's sessions was very nice.

And a bunch of old blooz- Lightnin', Blind Willie McTell, R. L. Burnside....etc.

In case anyone is forgetful, the new release from Decemberists, Picaresque, will be out 3/22 and you should really buy it. Seriously.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc

Man do I ever need another Postal Service album. The Bright Eyes album didn't do it for me, although I did enjoy pieces of it but it surely wasn't enough to fill the void.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Man do I ever need another Postal Service album. The Bright Eyes album didn't do it for me, although I did enjoy pieces of it but it surely wasn't enough to fill the void.

jc

Absolutely - I forgot how much I enjoyed that album - every song is a winner. As for Bright Eyes, I'm not really feeling it. Some of his stuff is great, but I think he needs to stop sounding like a whiney kid on so many songs.

Got Brian Wilson's Smile this week. After only one spin I can't decide if it's crap or genius. More on that later I think . . .

Talking Heads- More songs about buildings and food. Just got this too. hard to believe how long it's been since I heard this. Love it!

Buncha other stuff:

Clouseaux
    OSI
    Secret Chiefs 3
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise
    Booker T and the MG's- Melting Pot
    Ben Folds- Rockin the Suburbs
    The Futureheads
    XTC- Mummer

And I saw the movie Anchorman. The Jethro Tull "jazz flute" sequence just slays me. Funnier than the cowbell thing.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Quick List

Lisa Loeb - Tails
    Jann Arden - Greatest Hurts
    Rheostatics - Whale Music
    Opeth - Damnation
    Carol King - Tapestry
    ...Trail of Dead - World's Apart
    Green Day - American Idiot
    The Honeydogs - 10,000 Years
    Jet - Get Born
    Boy - Every Page You Turn

I knew I'd forget something, I probably forgot a few. Jim, did you hear the Brazilian Girls rec?

I don't like others.

The Clash - London Calling

Otis Redding - Live in Europe

Nick Cave - The Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

Bright Eyes - Digital Ash . . .

Chuck Prophet - Age of Miracles

The Velvet Underground & Nico - s/t

Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree (SACD)

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Hearts of Oak

Yo-Yo Ma - Obgrigado Brazil

Genesis - Seconds Out

Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove

Black Crowes - Three Snakes and One Charm
    Wow, nice list. What do you think of that Bright Eyes album? I have the other one and it's pretty good.

Here's mine:

Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
    As much as I think this should get tiring (especially given her voice and the fact that the prominent instrument througout is the harp) it just hasn't. Admittedly not for everyone, but I find this to be a beautiful album.

The Drifters - Golden Hits

XTC - Drums and Wires

The Wonder Stuff - The Eight Legged Groove Machine

The Wonder Stuff - HUP

VU - The Velvet Underground & Nico

The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

North Lincoln - Truth Is a Menace

Pinback - Summer in Abaddon

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Franz Ferdinand - s/t

Franz Ferdinand - Darts of Pleasure EP

Blink 182 - Enema of the State

Panda Bear - Young Prayer

Van Morrison - Into the Music

Pernice Brothers - The World Won't End

Scrawl - Velvet Hammer

The Producers - s/t

The Coasters

Blur - Parklife

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Features - Exhibit A

Comps:

The Kinks - Tales of Drunkenness and Cruelty: 1966-1971
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I knew I'd forget something, I probably forgot a few. Jim, did you hear the Brazilian Girls rec?
    That would be a big nugitorial on that one good buddy. Guessin' I need to get off my butt sooner or later anyway. I'm going to look them up right now but I'm guessing that "Brazilian Girls" isn't going to make the best google search to run in front of your kids. AMG to the rescue.

jc

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Rheostatics - Whale Music
    Now there's a title you don't see every day.

"Sing me a Sickening Song . . .
    Septic-ly Speaking . . ."

Love that one. Goofy album.

A must play this week. Thanks for the idea.

Is this NYC or the NORTH POLE???

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS WEATHER?? This is why I don't live in Anarctica. But now Anarctica's weather has come to NYC. 50mph winds. sub-zero wind chill and snow.

Well today, with this weather, I'm concentrating on the fact that in ONE week I will be on a plane to Austin for South by Southwest. So, checking out some music that will be playing there:

Lately I've been on a Manchester kick so these are the Manchester bands playing SxSw that I'm listening to on the SxSw site:
    I Am Kloot
    The Earlies
    fingathing
    Long-View
    The Longcut
    Nine Black Alps

and of course the Doves!

Also... just saw The Secret Machines show this weekend. I recommend!

Quote Originally Posted by KEXPMF
    WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS WEATHER?? This is why I don't live in Anarctica. But now Anarctica's weather has come to NYC. 50mph winds. sub-zero wind chill and snow.

Well today, with this weather, I'm concentrating on the fact that in ONE week I will be on a plane to Austin for South by Southwest. So, checking out some music that will be playing there:
    Well, this won't get you away from the cold and snow but if you decide to head north of the border to the North by Northeast festival, be sure to let us know. There are a few Rave Wreckers in the Toronto area.

Oh wait, it's in June so it better get you away from the cold and snow.

Have a great time at SXSW and don't forget to fill us in on any great bands that you see.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yeah, that weather is effed up, innit? The high for today was at midnight. Midnight. That means it was the warmest it was going to be all day at the beginning, and immediately started getting colder -- enough so that the sun didn't warm it back up.

Mars Volta, Frances the Mute and De-Loused in the Comatorium -- I think you need to like thrash to appreciate this. There are typically a lot of changes in thrash.

Izz, I Move -- why didn't anyone tell me how great this is? Oh, wait a minute, you did.

Mellowdrone, Go Get 'em Tiger -- indie pop/rock goodness

Bright Eyes, Digital Ash... -- I agree with JC -- very interesting aurally, but missing the hooks of better works

Evil's Toy, Illusion, Angels Only and Silvertears -- synthpop, great stuff

New Model Army -- live show. No, not a boot, I went to a live show.

Tristania, Ashes -- back to more trad B&B

Soilwork, new one -- a bit numetally.

I realy like Explosions in the Sky.

LCD Soundsystem -- dig it!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Izz, I Move -- why didn't anyone tell me how great this is? Oh, wait a minute, you did.
    I absolutely LOVE this disk. It's on regular rotation in my house and has been since Darren first introduced me to it a couple of years ago.

I recently acquired their previous disk, Sliver of a Sun. Also excellent, although it hasn't grabbed me the way I Move did. But that often happens with me...the disk that I hear first is the one that has the most impact and nothing else can ever live up to it.

If you like I Move, I do recommend Sliver of a Sun.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Robert Cray.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Wow, nice list. What do you think of that Bright Eyes album? I have the other one and it's pretty good.

Here's mine:

As much as I think this should get tiring (especially given her voice and the fact that the prominent instrument througout is the harp) it just hasn't. Admittedly not for everyone, but I find this to be a beautiful album.

The Drifters - Golden Hits

XTC - Drums and Wires

The Wonder Stuff - The Eight Legged Groove Machine

The Wonder Stuff - HUP

VU - The Velvet Underground & Nico

The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

North Lincoln - Truth Is a Menace

Pinback - Summer in Abaddon

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Franz Ferdinand - s/t

Franz Ferdinand - Darts of Pleasure EP

Blink 182 - Enema of the State

Panda Bear - Young Prayer

Van Morrison - Into the Music

Pernice Brothers - The World Won't End

Scrawl - Velvet Hammer

The Producers - s/t

The Coasters

Blur - Parklife

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Features - Exhibit A

Comps:

The Kinks - Tales of Drunkenness and Cruelty: 1966-1971
    Stone:

Glad you like the list - yours isn't so shabby either. I'm a huge Decemberists and NMH fan. As for Bright Eyes, the disc is ok - I think "I'm Wide Awake . . ." is better though. His voice just doesn't seem to complement the digital production that well. I noticed an XTC album on your list - I only have "Nonesuch" and while there are some great songs on there (the first two in particular), there are also some clunkers. Any recommendations on a great xtc album? Also, what is Pinback like, I see them mentioned a lot around here.

- Olivertmc

Wink no actually, it's Wednesday

Elton John - Love Songs
    Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
    Lori Carson - Stolen Beauty
    Roy Orbison - best of
    Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis
    Sarah Vaughan - S/T

a cassette tape I made of a radio broadcast from WDRE (in New York) from the 80's. Fun flashback.

comps:
    Davey's Monkey Bones (way too much material here for sensible comments after just one spin. Thanks for sending, my compensation should be going out soon)

Any recommendations on a great xtc album?
    I know you didn't ask me specifically, but based on your posts I think you'd like the "Drums and Wires", "Black Sea", "English Settlement" run of albums the most.

Thanks Troy! I'll check them out.

Stone:

Glad you like the list - yours isn't so shabby either. I'm a huge Decemberists and NMH fan. As for Bright Eyes, the disc is ok - I think "I'm Wide Awake . . ." is better though. His voice just doesn't seem to complement the digital production that well. I noticed an XTC album on your list - I only have "Nonesuch" and while there are some great songs on there (the first two in particular), there are also some clunkers. Any recommendations on a great xtc album? Also, what is Pinback like, I see them mentioned a lot around here.

- Olivertmc
    I would take Troy's advice on the XTC. I've never heard Black Sea, but the other two are really good. Drums and Wires is probably my favorite of the albums I've heard, primarily because it has a quirkiness to it, while still having great tunes.

I'm not good at describing artists' "sound" but I'd say Pinback is mostly laid back, melodic pop/rock with guitar and other instruments thrown in. I haven't spent a ton of time with it, so at this point I can't get more specific, but I'd say RIYL: Grandaddy, Built to Spill, etc. Hopefully others will chime in on this one for you.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I've been enjoying this album too especially the first 5 tracks, but it trails off a bit at the end for me. I think someone described her as a voice like a 7 year old Bjork which sounds weird but works for me.

Others I've been enjoying are

Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day, courtesy of Audiobill
    Nirvana - Box Set (Bill again) a bit patchy but nice
    Iron and Wine - Our Endless Summer Days
    Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    Oh and Davey's recent comp and as a result Wayne Robbins has just jumped to the top of my wishlist with a great Neil Young sound. All in all a nice comp Davey I also liked the Harold Budd disc very soothing.

Cheers
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information