Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

the last splurge

I gotta stop this binge buying!

the new:

Fates Warning - FWX : Pretty good, but sounds a tad familiar in places, like track 5, 'Heal Me', which reminds of recent tooL. I admit, its been a while since I heard these guys. I just recently realized that they were somewhat an underground metal band back in the '80s. I think I remember a friend of mind had The Guardian (or something like that).

Coheed & Cambria - IV (that's all I care to type of the actual title)
    Power pop with an '80s metal aestetic and slight prog leanings. No, they're not the second coming of Rush, but I did find this album to be a nice change of pace from what I've been listening to lately. And they're a blast of fresh air in this new cookie cutter world of revisionists' over-romanticized punk/acid pop that is mainstream rock these days.

Iced Earth - the blessed and the damned + Days Of Purgatory : Dusty Chalk was spot on when he said "If you like Iron Maiden...". If you didn't like Iron Maiden, you definately need not hear these guys. They're very good musicians, and write about as well as anyone in hardcore-metal (death, goth, black, etc), but they're terribly un-original. They are however, "more Maiden than Maiden is" now-a-days.

the not-so-new:

I can't get enough Ayreon

really liking Lacuna Coil more with every listen

liking APC's 13 Steps as well.

borrowed someone's Fear Factory; I can't remember which one, but it doesn't matter, I'll lump them in the same pile as Killswitch or Soilwork. In other words, they're not on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    I don't know much WOV, but how 'bout that Davey fave The Flaming Stars? Didn't you hear that some Jim and give a slightly better than limp thumbs up? I woulda thought, that scratched that Ridgeway itch just a little.
    Yeah I did like that quite a bit. Need to bust out the Ginmill Perfume disc again for a refresher on Wednesday. Thanks for the reminder.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    the new Kate Bush -- sublime...and yet, a grower -- definitely a lyrics album, I'm going to have to put this on again when I can listen to it 100%
    the new Madonna -- gone electroclash, might be her best album yet
    LOTW: Tiefschwarz, Eat Books -- synthpoppy goodness, along the lines of Lost Boys, Kraftwerk (atmosphere, sparseness of notes, use of reverb, not teutonicness) and LCD Soundsystem...groovy
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 11-09-2005 at 02:30 PM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    LOTW: Tiefschwarz, Eat Books
    Whew, that's better. I was getting worried when I recognized some of the artists in your posts recently. Eat Books? Lunch of the Week?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Don't know if you still have the tracklist, but I liked the first half (up to & including track 10). Some favorites were; Nitin Sawhney, Alex Gopher, Zero 7, Aromabar, Dzihan Kamien. The comp lost me a bit from 11 on due to fewer vocals and that 5+ minute, repetitive beat/sample stuff that is sometimes common within this genre and isn't my cup-of-tea. But overall very nice & opened me up to some stuff I'd never heard. You have any album rec's based on what I listed above?
    Don't have a tracklist handy but a couple spring to mind. You could probably pick them up cheap second hand as they are all a few years old and the whole electronica/chill movement has maybe had its day and moved on now.

Personally I still like it, have a go with....

Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin
    Zero 7 - Simple Things or When It Rains
    Dzihan and Kamien - Gran Riserva or Freaks and Icons

Cheers
    Mike

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

Fates Warning - FWX : Pretty good, but sounds a tad familiar in places, like track 5, 'Heal Me', which reminds of recent tooL. I admit, its been a while since I heard these guys. I just recently realized that they were somewhat an underground metal band back in the '80s. I think I remember a friend of mind had The Guardian (or something like that).

Coheed & Cambria - IV (that's all I care to type of the actual title)
    Power pop with an '80s metal aestetic and slight prog leanings. No, they're not the second coming of Rush, but I did find this album to be a nice change of pace from what I've been listening to lately. And they're a blast of fresh air in this new cookie cutter world of revisionists' over-romanticized punk/acid pop that is mainstream rock these days.
    Fates Warning - Barry and I saw this band a few years ago, opening for Queensryche and Dream Theater. They were pretty good but not nearly as polished as the aforementioned bands. It was easy to see why they were the opener and not headlining.

Coheed & Cambria - Thanks for the comments. I like their first disk, but I find there's a lot of filler and it's too long. I've been unsure about purchasing this one. It's not the kind of music that you can put into a listening station and make a split decision. How does the this new disk compare the their last?

Suspended

Yikes

Unfortunately I have not had the time to listen to anything recently. What is worse is that aside from the couple classic rock bands listed above, I have not even heard of the rest of the bands listed.

Hey, anyone out there use Electronic Publishing Software like EZSubs or Coredossier?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    the new Kate Bush -- sublime...and yet, a grower -- definitely a lyrics album, I'm going to have to put this on again when I can listen to it 100%
    the new Madonna -- gone electroclash, might be her best album yet
    LOTW: Tiefschwarz, Eat Books -- synthpoppy goodness, along the lines of Lost Boys, Kraftwerk (atmosphere, sparseness of notes, use of reverb, not teutonicness) and LCD Soundsystem...groovy
    Okay. You've sold me on the Kate Bush & the Madonna.
    Damn you, Dusty!!

Can't wait to buy both.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Coheed & Cambria - Thanks for the comments. I like their first disk, but I find there's a lot of filler and it's too long. I've been unsure about purchasing this one. It's not the kind of music that you can put into a listening station and make a split decision. How does the this new disk compare the their last?
    I'm going to post a comprehensive review in the next day or so (or at least an attempt at one)

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Okay. You've sold me on the Kate Bush & the Madonna.
    Damn you, Dusty!!

Can't wait to buy both.
    Bill
    Sorry.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information