Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: One Last Time Before the Lights Go Out - Rave Recs 2015 Compilation

Quote Originally Posted by Whooptee View Post
    Man oh man, it's been a long time. I miss this place and all of the folks that make it so special.

I have tons of thoughts as to what to contribute, from my usual hicked out bs to sweet obscure local stuff. Davey's mission statement got me thinking about some of the really good young bands out there, so I thought I'd put this forward as my pick:

Mourn - Dark Issues

I would say the kids are most definitely alright!

John
    Whooptee! It's been forever and a day. Glad to see you're still alive and kickin'. I'm wondering if some others will come out of the wood-work. Having a hard time remembering some of their names...Rae, J...yeah, it's been a long, long time.
    Davey likes this.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Way to go Davey! You have breathed new life and resuscitated the Group Comp. Thanks to Swish for twigging me on.

After a long deep soul search I decided to go indie for the sheer fun of it, even though I have been on a big Nina Simone kick, as of late, digging into her back catalogue.

My contribution is Pinback's AFK, from their Summer in Abaddon album. At least for me, it captures the spirit of many of the raverecordings flavours over the years and it is a track I will reach for on a fairly regular basis - plus, the lyrics are rather obtuse and thereby good.

It has been a very long time, since I have visited and contributed to this board, and it feels fine! Just like old times with old friends!

Thanks-a-ton Davey for volunteering to pull this thing together!
    audiobill

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Hehe, yea, that descriptor is kinda short and vague. It was intended to describe Americana music with a dark sound, like Sixteen Horsepower and Wovenhand, bands that have some of the dark Joy Division atmospheric sound mixed with Americana, kind of that Nick Cave southern Gothic, but with more country roots. Richmond Fontaine is another great band like that, not always dark, but often. Willard Grant Conspiracy, quite a few others. Handsome Family, maybe Hiss Golden Messenger at times.... the one below isn't exactly what I had in mind, but just listened to this record yesterday and felt the urge again, and it's close enough, big big favorite from the 2000s ...

Richard Fontaine, at times, reminds me of some of Johnny Dowd's earlier work. Here's a southern gothic song of his that has a creepiness that is irresistible. The female vocalist is also sublime.

http://youtu.be/welpmjkW4-o

His two early albums - Wrongside of Memphis and Pictures From Life's Other Side are two of my favourites.
    Davey likes this.

Man oh man, it's been a long time. I miss this place and all of the folks that make it so special.
    Wow, some good old friends back, chrisnz and Whooptee and Mark and Audiobill and Mike and tentoze, and all the rest that never really left, very cool, you've all made my life richer with your sharing of the many artists and records that have helped make your life more special.

Listening to Axxes and Ace right now from one of my big favorites Songs:Ohia (Jason Molina). Jason didn't make it out, but what he left behind will last as long as love stays complicated ...

Departure and worry,
    and worry, and worry...
    still shake me.

Resistance failed,
    resistance failed...
    and friendship failed,
    and friendship failed.

As lovers, we did not fail...
    as lovers, we did not fail.

BTW John, I've had your 80s comp stuck in my car CD player for a few weeks now, and always sounds good... that whole first section is just so good, that transition from Young Marble Giants to the Feelies, great, and after that it's just more great with JD and GoF and Gun Club and X, Mission of Burma and the Fall. Really nice job.
    Last edited by Davey; 10-10-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Wow, some good old friends back, chrisnz and Whooptee and Mark and Audiobill and Mike and tentoze, and all the rest that never really left, very cool, you've all made my life richer with your sharing of the many artists and records that have helped make your life more special.

Listening to Axxes and Ace right now from one of my big favorites Songs:Ohia (Jason Molina). Jason didn't make it out, but what he left behind will last as long as love stays complicated ...

Departure and worry,
    and worry, and worry...
    still shake me.

Resistance failed,
    resistance failed...
    and friendship failed,
    and friendship failed.

As lovers, we did not fail...
    as lovers, we did not fail.

Thanks for reminding me of Jason Molina's brilliance!

"i have your dreams and your teeth marks."
    i, especially, love his voice and delivery? Very cool.

I would like to put forward one more track for the Group Comp, seeing that I am having such a challenging time distilling my RR mojo to one track - only if there is space. I am sure there are several people here who will immediately recognize the band and the song -

Everyone's a building burning
    With no one to put the fire out.
    Standing at the window looking out,
    Waiting for time to burn us down.
    Everyone's an ocean drowning
    With no one really to show how.
    They might get a little better air
    If they turned themselves into a cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill View Post
    My contribution is Pinback's AFK, from their Summer in Abaddon album. At least for me, it captures the spirit of many of the raverecordings flavours over the years and it is a track I will reach for on a fairly regular basis - plus, the lyrics are rather obtuse and thereby good.
    Yea, that's a good one, was just listening to it a few days ago myself. Nice record, and that AFK closer is great, even comes along with a pretty cool Slint reference to that also pretty great "Good Morning, Captain" closer from Spiderland ... and yea, I did have to spin that afterwards ...

I can't talk to you anymore, and I miss you. Not in a Slint way, but I miss you..

I'm pretty fond of this track by Ha Ha Tonka. Partly because it's such an engaging track, and partly because my friend Lennon is the drummer although he has since retired from the band:
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Swish, Davey, Audiobill, Jim Clark!!! Good to see all of you again. This thread reminds me why I always loved this place. I love those two Johnny Dowd albums. I've listened to that Pinback record about a million times and never seemed to notice that Slint reference. And of course Richmond Fontaine (with Damnations TX singer Amy Boone along for the ride recently) and the late lamented Jason Molina are long time faves. And Jim, I saw Ha Ha Tonka live at Lola's on 6th in Fort Worth along with an awesome local band then called Patriot(now Jake Paleschic) and Lydia Loveless. That was probably two, maybe three years ago. Here's a pic of the venue:

One Last Time Before the Lights Go Out - Rave Recs 2015 Compilation-img_1451-640x480-.jpg

Davey, I'm glad you enjoyed that 80's comp. I can't recall if I ever made the finished version available to everyone or not. I enjoy it a lot myself(of course.) I'll have to look when I get home at the final track list. I know I agonized over that for a long time.

John

Cool

Swish, Davey, Audiobill, Jim Clark!!! Good to see all of you again. This thread reminds me why I always loved this place. I love those two Johnny Dowd albums. I saw Ha Ha Tonka live at Lola's on 6th in Fort Worth along with an awesome local band then called Patriot(now Jake Paleschic) and Lydia Loveless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1451 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	9905

John
    Hey John! Great to hear from you and so many others on this board!

How was Lydia Loveless live? I have been enjoying some NPR clips on YouTube, such as her appearance with the band on tiny desk concerts. Is she as good live, as she is on some of her videos? If so, I will be keeping an eye out for her in the Toronto area.

Again, good to see your Whoptee avatar and insightful comments around here, man!
    Cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill View Post
    Hey John! Great to hear from you and so many others on this board!

How was Lydia Loveless live? I have been enjoying some NPR clips on YouTube, such as her appearance with the band on tiny desk concerts. Is she as good live, as she is on some of her videos? If so, I will be keeping an eye out for her in the Toronto area.

Again, good to see your Whoptee avatar and insightful comments around here, man!
    Cheers!!!
    Hey Bill! I've seen Lydia Loveless three times, all really small venues. Twice here in Fort Worth and once up in Chicago at Schubas(which was awesome.) She's a wild one. Lots of fun. Her shows are usually less than 20 bucks, so if you like her music, I'd say check her out.

I really need to finish this... I'll do it, honest

Thumbs up Well, you did say by Christmas.

I really need to finish this... I'll do it, honest
    I was thinking about this today and decided to check in with RR, something that used to be a daily ritual.

Anyway, I was thinking this final project should include tunes from some of the bands that were talked about the most, or the most loved, on this site. Well, maybe they were the ones I liked the most, and not so much everyone else, but how could we leave out bands like The Shins, Spoon, Super Furry Animals, The Decemberists, Pavement and Sparklehorse? What about Luna? Lucinda Williams?

Yeah, I guess that would be self-serving, but that's what was on my mind.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Hey Swisharoo, you could make your own "Best of RR" comp and share it.

Since this is still a thing, I should really change my song to something a little less commercial. Davey, do I have time to come up with something else?

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Been thinkin 'bout stuff...

I'd love it if I could contribute a song like Victorian Brickwork by Big Big Train (yeah, proggish) but if that isn't sitting on the shelf then maybe you could scare up Head Home by Midlake, and if not Midlake then maybe Consequence by The Notwist, and if not The Notwist then Trains by Porcupine Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    I was thinking about this today and decided to check in with RR, something that used to be a daily ritual.

Anyway, I was thinking this final project should include tunes from some of the bands that were talked about the most, or the most loved, on this site. Well, maybe they were the ones I liked the most, and not so much everyone else, but how could we leave out bands like The Shins, Spoon, Super Furry Animals, The Decemberists, Pavement and Sparklehorse? What about Luna? Lucinda Williams?

Actually, I say, He'll yeah!" for all of the bands that Swish just mentioned.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Hey Swisharoo, you could make your own "Best of RR" comp and share it.

Since this is still a thing, I should really change my song to something a little less commercial. Davey, do I have time to come up with something else?
    Yeah, I'm thinking I need to change mine to something with more rave recs "flavor", but to avoid duplication from a prior comp, I'd have to study the list provided by Davey. To avoid that extra work, I'm just gonna throw some out and let Davey exercise his unbridled discretion. (You're welcome.)

Sparklehorse - "Sea of Teeth"
    Wilco - "Poor Places"
    Beck - "Volcano"
    Palace Music - "Cat's Blues"

A couple of side notes:
    The line "Can you taste the ghosts who shed their creaking hosts?" got my attention right away. Most of It's a Wonderful Life conveys a deep sadness to me, even the rockers. Probably wouldn't have tried it if not mentioned here.

It took me awhile to settle into "Poor Places" from YHF, but these days when my listening sessions need a shot of Wilco, this is a go-to track.

After seeing Beck live back in May, I re-visited Modern Guilt and discovered I was attempting to listen to it all wrong. Now I start with side 2, skip one track, flip to side 1 and skip a couple of tracks. Just makes more sense to me that way. Anyhow, "Paper Tiger" from Sea Change would be a great/obvious Beck selection, but I finally really listened to Volcano after the recent HBO doc on Scientology and well, it seems to me that Beck is saying something about it. Plus, I started to listen to Rome about the same time I re-visited Modern Guilt. I'm a sucker for foreign film music and have a decent collection of German, Italian and Hollywood film scores so Rome is right up my alley. It really does have the same feel as some of those Italian Giallo and spaghetti western soundtracks. So, what does Rome have to do with Modern Guilt? Both are produced by Danger Mouse. It becomes apparent after a few listens to both.

Davey waxed poetic about Viva Last Blues so I picked it up. Started studying it during HBO's first season of True Detective. Man, "Cat's Blues" should have been used in that first season.
    Davey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Davey waxed poetic about Viva Last Blues so I picked it up. Started studying it during HBO's first season of True Detective. Man, "Cat's Blues" should have been used in that first season.
    There ya go, hopefully True Detective rebounds a bit next year after the not so special second season, and man you're right, some Will Oldham woulda been the right place and the right time during that great first season. Some really good shows on TV now, just finished the last episode of Jessica Jones last night, good show but glad she finally killed off Kilgrave and that storyline that went on all season, looking forward to something a bit fresher. Loved Mr. Robot, full package, great music and video, brilliant show, really looking forward to the next season.

Keep posting the songs you want on the comp, I'll collect the latest ones from everyone this weekend, or whenever I say that's enough. I think we have about enough stuff to fill a comp.

Well, I was trying to stay away from that "project" word, you know how those things go. Just something to remember everyone, doesn't need to be too much thought behind it. But yea, that's a nice list of old favorites Swishy. I heard that the Luna vinyl box shipped today, quite a bit earlier than expected. All five albums plus another record with some of the extras from the EPs. All white vinyl and very tempting at $100, but I'm gonna wait to hear some reports. It's limited to 2000 so hopefully isn't sold out already. Could be a nice Christmas gift for the Luna fans in your family

BTW, if you have a taste for some modern eclectic jazz type stuff, the Tigran Hamasyan Mockroot record from earlier this year is pretty fantastic.Quite amazing music, and the recording sounds really nice too, on Nonesuch, 24/96 available too. Below some words from George Graham ...

George Graham Reviews Tigran's Hamasyan's "Mockroot"
    Armenian-American pianist and composer Tigran Hamsyan’s new CD Mockroot is quite a remarkable recording. It’s a thoroughly original stylistic blend of Armenian folk music, with its complex rhythms and interesting tonalities, with the high energy level of the progressive rock scene, and an undercurrent of jazz. Tamasyan is a virtuosic player who brings to life his often downright astonishing compositions. It can be jaw-dropping at times, and yet quite appealing. The music can get into rock-band energy levels and then go into a hauntingly beautiful melody based on Armenian folk music. The instrumental textures with the frequent wordless vocals are also highly distinctive.

Our grade for sound quality is a solid “A.” There’s some sonic manipulation in the studio, but it’s well-handled. The instruments are well-recorded with good clarity and warmth, and the dynamic range of the recording is considerably better than the contemporary average, with not too much volume compression.

Tigran Hamasyan’s music on his new album is not only virtuosic, imaginative and thoroughly original, it’s also impressively uncategorizable. And that makes Mockroot a one of those truly remarkable albums that only comes along rarely.

(c) Copyright 2015 George D. Graham. All rights reserved.

Okay, scrap the Queens of the Stoneage. I've chosen Elbow's Mirrorball. This is a stunning love song. And, in some ways, kind of portrays how I feel about this site and the people that I've met here. I was bored with music and looking for something new and exciting, "someone to complete me" if you will. And then I found this place and "everything has changed".

This web site, and the people on this web site have changed my life for the better. I am no longer bored with music, in fact there were times that I couldn't even keep up with it all. Elbow is only one of the many bands that I fell in love with along the way, recommended by someone at this site. So Mirrorball it is.

There ya go, hopefully True Detective rebounds a bit next year after the not so special second season, and man you're right, some Will Oldham woulda been the right place and the right time during that great first season. Some really good shows on TV now, just finished the last episode of Jessica Jones last night, good show but glad she finally killed off Kilgrave and that storyline that went on all season, looking forward to something a bit fresher. Loved Mr. Robot, full package, great music and video, brilliant show, really looking forward to the next season.

Keep posting the songs you want on the comp, I'll collect the latest ones from everyone this weekend, or whenever I say that's enough. I think we have about enough stuff to fill a comp.
    We did enjoy Mr. Robot but haven't seen Jessica Jones as yet. Too busy with Amazon Prime and Netflix of late. Really liked Broadchurch and just caught the second season. Top of the Lake was good, and a bit quirky to boot, and who hasn't seen Damages and The Killing? I really wish another season of Sherlock was coming, but I think it may be the end of this stellar series after 3 awesome seasons. May try Black Mirror or Bloodline tonight, along with a fine IPA.

We did enjoy Mr. Robot but haven't seen Jessica Jones as yet.
    The second season of The Leftovers has been amazing too, another show with great music. The jump in quality from season 1 to season 2 is staggering, I wasn't even going to bother, but caught the buzz and glad I'm hooked in, really strong story telling this year, has you impatiently waiting for the next episode, the actresses are especially good, Carrie Coon is fantastic, should definitely be some awards. I still have a couple eps to go, but what a season.

Best record of the year is shaping up to be The Miraculous by Anna von Hausswolff. Love this one ...

https://youtu.be/Hepsvsx6H70

Suspended
    Just like a female to change her mind, LOL

Okay, scrap the Queens of the Stoneage. I've chosen Elbow's Mirrorball. This is a stunning love song. And, in some ways, kind of portrays how I feel about this site and the people that I've met here. I was bored with music and looking for something new and exciting, "someone to complete me" if you will. And then I found this place and "everything has changed".

This web site, and the people on this web site have changed my life for the better. I am no longer bored with music, in fact there were times that I couldn't even keep up with it all. Elbow is only one of the many bands that I fell in love with along the way, recommended by someone at this site. So Mirrorball it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Just like a female to change her mind, LOL
    Just like a man to miss the point that I was choosing a love song to all of you.

Suspended
    LOL, I did get that lovely gesture, but I didn't want to poke fun at that.

Just like a man to miss the point that I was choosing a love song to all of you.
    ForeverAutumn likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information