Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: One Last Time Before the Lights Go Out - Rave Recs 2015 Compilation

One Last Time Before the Lights Go Out - Rave Recs 2015 Compilation

So let's do one more big blowout compilation before they turn out the the lights and lock the doors. Everybody gets to pick that one song to be remembered by, the one that you think defines a little bit about what music means to you, preferably one that we don't all already know, one that you've been kinda keeping to yourself all these years, but doesn't have to be like that, could be something more popular, that would be OK too if it's really what you want, anything goes on this one, classic rock, indie, prog, opera, country, Swish, jam, electronic, hip-hop, dance, etc, no stones cast, it's just about you.

Just throw them out, and I'll dig up copies the best I can and put it together, and if I can't find it I'll let you know and we can figure something out to get it in my hands. It will be one of those download things, no hard copies, but that could be done too if someone needs it. Give it some thought, no need to hurry, let's see how it goes. Below is a link to some of our past group comps ... you could even pick one you've used before, but that wouldn't be much fun

Rave Recordings Group Comps

Maybe even forward this to some of our old friends, if you know where they might be hiding out now.

I might go with something like that new CocoRosie Heartbreak City song from their upcoming, that would be kinda where I'm at now, but then again I'm really more of a gothic country guy. Who knows, but that's what makes it fun.

Last edited by Davey; 09-05-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Suspended
    Coco Rosie is interesting. Reminds me some of Kate Bush. I'm still trying to imagine Goth Country

How to pick the song seems deep, my pick isn't really about what music means to me, that would be something like You're In My Heart You're In My Soul.

But I'd like for Peabody's pick to be a song called Blue Mist by Mama's Pride.

Suspended
    Well, inline with the opening sentence of this thread, I'm just gonna go with

Riverside - The Curtain Falls

Mr Peabody likes this.

So I have my own genre? Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    So let's do one more big blowout compilation before they turn out the the lights and lock the doors. Everybody gets to pick that one song to be remembered by, the one that you think defines a little bit about what music means to you, preferably one that we don't all already know, one that you've been kinda keeping to yourself all these years, but doesn't have to be like that, could be something more popular, that would be OK too if it's really what you want, anything goes on this one, classic rock, indie, prog, opera, country, Swish, jam, electronic, hip-hop, dance, etc, no stones cast, it's just about you.

Just throw them out, and I'll dig up copies the best I can and put it together, and if I can't find it I'll let you know and we can figure something out to get it in my hands. It will be one of those download things, no hard copies, but that could be done too if someone needs it. Give it some thought, no need to hurry, let's see how it goes. Below is a link to some of our past group comps ... you could even pick one you've used before, but that wouldn't be much fun

Rave Recordings Group Comps

Maybe even forward this to some of our old friends, if you know where they might be hiding out now.

I might go with something like that new CocoRosie Heartbreak City song from their upcoming, that would be kinda where I'm at now, but then again I'm really more of a gothic country guy. Who knows, but that's what makes it fun.

I have already made my choice but don't want it revealed until you are ready to deliver the final product. It's from what I believe is one of the very best records release in the last 10 years, but I don't recall it getting much attention or respect on Rave Recs.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I'm still trying to imagine Goth Country
    Hehe, yea, that descriptor is kinda short and vague. It was intended to describe Americana music with a dark sound, like Sixteen Horsepower and Wovenhand, bands that have some of the dark Joy Division atmospheric sound mixed with Americana, kind of that Nick Cave southern Gothic, but with more country roots. Richmond Fontaine is another great band like that, not always dark, but often. Willard Grant Conspiracy, quite a few others. Handsome Family, maybe Hiss Golden Messenger at times.... the one below isn't exactly what I had in mind, but just listened to this record yesterday and felt the urge again, and it's close enough, big big favorite from the 2000s ...

Last edited by Davey; 09-08-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Suspended
    It would take some getting used to, I like more changes in a song to keep my attention. It reminds me some of that Metal genre Oceanic the way it sort of drones on. I will check out some of those other bands, I do like an occasional dark sound.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Interesting concept. I love it!!

The song that immediately comes to my mind is Queens of the Stoneage, No One knows. That album was my first purchase based on a recommendation from this site and I still love it. But the song is pretty common place now...in fact I heard it on the radio this morning, so I might need to give this a bit more thought before I pull the trigger on that one as my pick.

As for Goth Country, I thought of this little gem that SwishDaddy first showed me. A Canadian gal (because Canadian chicks RULE!) currently living in Nashville. If you don't know of her Davey, you should check her out. I have a feeling you might like her.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Interesting concept. I love it!!

The song that immediately comes to my mind is Queens of the Stoneage, No One knows. That album was my first purchase based on a recommendation from this site and I still love it. But the song is pretty common place now...in fact I heard it on the radio this morning, so I might need to give this a bit more thought before I pull the trigger on that one as my pick.

As for Goth Country, I thought of this little gem that SwishDaddy first showed me. A Canadian gal (because Canadian chicks RULE!) currently living in Nashville. If you don't know of her Davey, you should check her out. I have a feeling you might like her.
    I have heard of her, but hadn't got around to a listen yet, so thanks, she's good. A little like Gretchen Peters on her latest. I usually lean more toward the folk and rock side of that dark Americana sound, but a little twang in the mix is always fun too.

QOTSA is a pretty hot band. I've been on a big Mark Lanegan kick lately, and he of course joined them for a few years. What a great singer, and his own Bubblegum record from 2004 is a big favorite, along with others. They put out a 2-CD 1989-2011 Mark Lanegan anthology last year, and it's really nice, samples most of his best records. PJ Harvey is a guest on a couple of the Bubblegum song highlights, and she has also sung with QOTSA on the desert sessions, the time they performed together on Jools Holland is a big favorite of mine, pretty cool and sexy performance all around ...

Last edited by Davey; 09-10-2015 at 08:08 AM.

She's actually a little more country than that video lets on. I'm not a big country fan, but she's got an edge that I like.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    After some deliberation and many eliminations, I'm claimin' the Christmas song:

"Merry Christmas, Baby" - Chuck Berry's version included on his '64 album St. Louis to Liverpool. If you like/love Christmas, your significant other, music, and your music system; then this one will probably make you smile any time of the year. (It'd be nice to be remembered with a smile.)

Davey, good luck finding a spot for this one.

Thanks for the idea and it's good to see you around.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Davey, good luck finding a spot for this one.

Thanks for the idea and it's good to see you around.
    Thanks, and at the rate they're coming in, it'll probably be around Christmas time when we have enough songs for a comp, so your pick may fit right in ...

Living my life like a son of a gun...

Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnz View Post

Wow! Long time, buddy, great to see your name after all the years, lots of good memories, and thanks for stopping by and tossing out a song, don't think that record is even out yet for maybe a couple more weeks around here. But look forward to hearing it, the single is pretty cool. All I want is to just have fun ...

A couple years ago I made one of my erratic appearances here and attempted to do a serialized half-gone 2013 comp, and it was kinda fun for a few songs but wasn't really enough interest to sustain my interest, so I finished it without much commentary, but Kurt definitely played a big role in the first part of the comp. He was track 4, and that was the end of the serialization, but it did turn out kind of fun.

Half Gone 2013 (or maybe ...lost but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Wow! Long time, buddy, great to see your name after all the years, lots of good memories, and thanks for stopping by and tossing out a song, don't think that record is even out yet for maybe a couple more weeks around here. But look forward to hearing it, the single is pretty cool. All I want is to just have fun ...
    I see Polly Jean shares your facility with maracas

It sure is a long time and we did have a lot of fun back in the dark ages of slipping discs into envelopes and posting them around the planet.

Are you still into developing hifi hardware? What's your take on Spotify/Tidal? I use Spotify to listen to new stuff but still buy a lot of CD's or Hidef downloads. All my discs are ripped to hard drives and streamed over wifi. Or on my phone. Or on my tablet............. The world has changed.

I like this track but luuurv the foxy little lady dancing in the background.

I see Polly Jean shares your facility with maracas
    Yea, she's very clever with maracas, just like me and Juanita and Juan.

I'm not quite as modern as you, I do have a lot of music ripped to hard drives, and mostly listen from my laptop, which is almost a tablet, very light with solid state drive and no fan, but it's still wired to my DAC via USB. And I do still listen some to my turntable too. But yea, it is so much easier to explore music now, both old and new, fun times.

Hey there, Davey. Long time, no something or other. Thanks for the invite to participate in this thing! I never really felt like I got very far inside the inner sanctum here, but it was still great fun for a while.

Here's what I'm tossing in, hope it isn't too much of a time-hog at 9+ minutes. A bit of an atypical song from Mr Fisher- full-on electric banging, the instrumental intro lasting more than 3 minutes before he sings his soul out for another 5 or so. A bit proggy in structure, not much twang evident here, but, O Lord, crank the volume and get swept up in it.

Cheers to all.

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze View Post
    Hey there, Davey. Long time, no something or other. Thanks for the invite to participate in this thing! I never really felt like I got very far inside the inner sanctum here, but it was still great fun for a while.
    Glad you got the invite, I always thought of you as one of the inner sanctum, though not sure if that's good or bad. You sure turned me on to a lot of great music over the years, so you're part of a lot of fun memories for me around here.

Here's what I'm tossing in, hope it isn't too much of a time-hog at 9+ minutes. A bit of an atypical song from Mr Fisher- full-on electric banging, the instrumental intro lasting more than 3 minutes before he sings his soul out for another 5 or so. A bit proggy in structure, not much twang evident here, but, O Lord, crank the volume and get swept up in it.
    Yea, you know I'm a big fan too, and I know that his last record that I love and recommended didn't quite fit for you, but the funny thing is I was just listening to a couple new WGC song demos yesterday that the label put out ahead of the UK tour they just started. They may reflect back too much on that experimental and unfinished sound you didn't care for as much on Ghost Republic, but give a listen to this one below called "I Could Not", I really like it and wound up listening 3 or 4 times already ...

https://soundcloud.com/loose-music/i...onspiracy-2015

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Ok. I'll go all in. This song hits pretty close to the bone thematically. It got me through a rough patch. It may seem weird, but I turn to this when I want to find my center and elevate my spirit above whatever has brought it low. It's both ugly and beautiful, coarse and poetic--the contrast between faith and awe in the miracles of man and the deeper recognition of how we all come up short when measured against the momentum of the universe; yet we keep going. I don't know if this is, necessarily a song to be remembered by but it does represent what I value in music. A song with the power of transformation and hope, regardless.

Lou Reed: Power & Glory

And, I have to include this one too. Just cause it seems appropriate. I've got some funny ideas about what sounds good.

Camper Van Beethoven: Shut us down

My runners up list included:

Camper Van Beethoven: Good Guys & Bad Guys
    A bit of fluff, but it never fails to make me happy

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme, Part One: Acknowledgement (remastered)

It was tough not to go with this one. I think I once posted that this piece is about as close to god as you can get without burning your wings...and I'm largely agnostic.

The whole piece builds to the thematic phrase. If you have that phrase in your head you can hear the pieces from the very beginning as they swirl around and eventually come together. It's embedded throughout and the arc of the improvisation leads you along its synthesis, showing you fragment by fragment how it all fits together. Its meaningful, musical and metaphorical.

from NPR:
    It's a theme Coltrane consciously uses in subtle and careful ways throughout A Love Supreme. For example, toward the end of part one, "Acknowledgement," Coltrane plays the riff in every key.

"Coltrane's more or less finished his improvisation, and he just starts playing the 'Love Supreme' motif, but he changes the key another time, another time, another time. This is something very unusual. It's not the way he usually improvises. It's not really improvised. It's something that he's doing. And if you actually follow it through, he ends up playing this little 'Love Supreme' theme in all 12 possible keys," says Porter. "To me, he's giving you a message here. First of all, he's introduced the idea. He's experimented with it. He's improvised with it with great intensity. Now he's saying it's everywhere. It's in all 12 keys. Anywhere you look, you're going to find this 'Love Supreme.' He's showing you that in a very conscious way on his saxophone.

And then it coalesces in this startling and centering verbal chant by Coltrane, "A Love Supreme, A Love Supreme..." and when you get there, one just feels this great relief and resolution. A 'yeah, I get it all now' epiphany. For me, it took a few years to appreciate this song, but it was worth the effort.
    dean_martin likes this.
    TCA ATT GGA

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Full-on electric banging, the instrumental intro lasting more than 3 minutes before he sings his soul out for another 5 or so. A bit proggy in structure, not much twang evident here, but, O Lord, crank the volume and get swept up in it.
    Boy does he ever. Hadn't heard that one. Nice!
    TCA ATT GGA

Forum Regular

Wow....

In an idle moment browsing the web and look what I found....I used to frequent this place when it was buzzing, your post certainly seems to have brought folks out of the woodwork.

Ok I'll play, I suggest this for a reflective moment on the disc. Vocally it reminds me of Nick Drake and the song structure and spooky crescendo sounds remind me of Mercury Rev. I'm not familiar with his other output but liking this album a lot.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    In an idle moment browsing the web and look what I found....I used to frequent this place when it was buzzing, your post certainly seems to have brought folks out of the woodwork.

Ok I'll play, I suggest this for a reflective moment on the disc. Vocally it reminds me of Nick Drake and the song structure and spooky crescendo sounds remind me of Mercury Rev. I'm not familiar with his other output but liking this album a lot.

Cheers
    Mike

Really nice to see you stop by Mike, we've each discovered so much great music over the years via each other, I feel like I know you better than I really do.

The mention of Mercury Rev really hits a sweet spot, I've been so hung up on Deserter's Songs lately, just love it, always have, always will, but it seems so in tune right now.

That new and upcoming CocoRosie Heartache City I mentioned above did turn out really nice, very stripped back compared to GrassWidow, more like their debut in that regard except very nicely recorded, more about the voices and the words. No fancy layered production, no synths, not sure if they play everything but I think it's mainly just the two of them this time, some piano, some drum machine, a bunch great sounding instruments and toys sparsely mixed about, and some butterflies. DR 11 on the digital too. Only a few listens in, but already looking forward to the next listen. Yea, really nice. Lots of favorite moments already, but around 2 minutes into "Lost Girls", after the first listen you know what's gonna happen, but it still makes me break out in a big grin, you feel it coming, gradually building, and then that chorus. Just about perfect.

Anyway, just wanted to say, this one kind of bridges the multiple sides of CocoRosie, and really nice record (and looking forward to the vinyl record, though like I said, this digital download sounds great).

close your eyes and you can fly

I remember him opening for Pavement at The Mann when they did their reunion tour back in 2010. Nobody, and I mean nobody, paid any attention to him. People were chatting and moving around, at least those who were there early enough (The Mann has reserved seats except for the area behind the amphitheater). You really couldn't hear him very well if you wanted to. Who would have guessed he'd achieve this level of success just a few years later?
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Patrick Watson? Very interesting. Saw him and his band at Union Transfer when they opened for Andrew Bird in 2012 (Audio Bill and Forever Autumn were there too!). They did a nice job for an opener. From Montreal I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Patrick Watson? Very interesting. Saw him and his band at Union Transfer when they opened for Andrew Bird in 2012 (Audio Bill and Forever Autumn were there too!). They did a nice job for an opener. From Montreal I believe.
    Can't say that I remembered who the opening act was from that show. I do remember that they were good. I'll have to go check them out now that I've been reminded.

Howdy folks!

Man oh man, it's been a long time. I miss this place and all of the folks that make it so special.

I have tons of thoughts as to what to contribute, from my usual hicked out bs to sweet obscure local stuff. Davey's mission statement got me thinking about some of the really good young bands out there, so I thought I'd put this forward as my pick:

Mourn - Dark Issues

I would say the kids are most definitely alright!

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information