Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New White Stripes is a dud IMO...

I'm on my second spin of get Behind Me Satan, and I'm really having trouble mustering up interest in this album. I love these guys best when they rock; plain, simple rock. Seems like they're getting too cutesy with this latest effort, which is fairly devoid of the pounding guitar driven rock sound that made Elephant such a hit album for me.
    Guess I can't blame Jack for branching out a bit and trying some new styles, and I'm thinking that many folks here will like this album and applaud them for not falling into a comfortable routine. Personally though, I hope it's a phase and they come out rocking next time.
    On the optimistic side, I think the hit song Blue Orchid is great as well as The Denial Twist and As Ugly as I Seem which, despite the title, is a very pretty melodic acoustic guitar number.

That's interesting

One had to wonder if his collaboration with Loretta Lynn would rub off. Actually, I think White is talented enough to pull off just about anything he wants to do, but will his fans be just as put-off as you? That will determine whether he comes out rocking next time.

Myself, I could see him flirting with this style a little on Elephant.
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 06-14-2005 at 07:40 PM. Reason: because I'm an idiot

News flash:
    ANYTHING by the White Stripes is a dud....

I really don't see the talent or appeal of this band....

since when...

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrim05
    I really don't see the talent or appeal of this band....
    ...does a good rock band need talent? Appeal otoh, I think they have.

I like the new one. It's not gonna win many new fans and may actually alienate some of their old ones, but personally, I'm glad they branched out a bit. If I wanna hear what they've done on the first four records, I'll listen to the first four records. And, really, I don't think its all that radical of a direction after Elephant.

I think the appeal is largely that they're one of a pretty small number of groups trying to do something with rock music other than ape the past. The two person format gives them somethng a bit unique. They have an interesting aesthetic. They play with power and force, but still retain some delicate moments, even more so on the latest one. And, quite simply, they can lay down a seriously rocking single when they're in the mood.

Yeah, I'm probably in the minority

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I like the new one. It's not gonna win many new fans and may actually alienate some of their old ones, but personally, I'm glad they branched out a bit. If I wanna hear what they've done on the first four records, I'll listen to the first four records. And, really, I don't think its all that radical of a direction after Elephant.

I think the appeal is largely that they're one of a pretty small number of groups trying to do something with rock music other than ape the past. The two person format gives them somethng a bit unique. They have an interesting aesthetic. They play with power and force, but still retain some delicate moments, even more so on the latest one. And, quite simply, they can lay down a seriously rocking single when they're in the mood.
    I respect them for trying to bring new aspects to their musical repertoire. Just seems to me that they're at their best when they're rocking hard, which doesn't seem to occur often enough on the new album. Wrt Elephant, that album was basically a rock album with some fun stuff tossed in as accent. However, Get Behind Me Satan comes across more like a soundtrack to a musical or Broadway show or something like that. Like I said before too "cutesy" for me.
    Oh well, I guess I'd better not rip the album too badly since I've only spun it a few times. I might be back in a month eating crow.

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    ...does a good rock band need talent? Appeal otoh, I think they have.
    You can't listen to how they look or how cool they are in interviews.

A truly boring band.

The fact that a band like the White Stipes can survive says alot about the sad state of the music industry these days...

In their defense....

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    The fact that a band like the White Stipes can survive says alot about the sad state of the music industry these days...
    Jack White (IMO Meg is just along for the ride) is quite a diverse song writer. Sure, alot of his music is derived from pre-existing styles, but the fact that the band initially came across as a garage rock band, then delved into some 70's classic rock material, then Jack really showed some diversity contributing to the soundtrack for Cold Mountain, then worked with Loretta Lynn!? and now the most recent album is a bit different yet...well, you get my point.
    I guess the people posting here just don't like his material, and that's fine, but give the boy some credit. I say he has music flowing thru his very soul. Have you guys heard all Jack Whites material or are you just basing your opinions on the garage rock stuff that put him/White Stripes on the map? I did'nt really enjoy the Cold Mountain Soundtrack, but that didn't keep me from appreciating the artistic merit.
    Maybe it's not an apples to apples comparison, but look at Ryan Adams, just as prolific a songwriter in quantity, but as someone else pointed out in another recent thread, half of it should never have been released. I can't say the same about Jack Whites work even though I don't enjoy it all. I say he's closer to a savior of the music industry than a contributor to it's sad state.

(stepping down from soap box now)

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Jack White (IMO Meg is just along for the ride) is quite a diverse song writer. Sure, alot of his music is derived from pre-existing styles, but the fact that the band initially came across as a garage rock band, then delved into some 70's classic rock material, then Jack really showed some diversity contributing to the soundtrack for Cold Mountain, then worked with Loretta Lynn!? and now the most recent album is a bit different yet...well, you get my point.
    I guess the people posting here just don't like his material, and that's fine, but give the boy some credit. I say he has music flowing thru his very soul. Have you guys heard all Jack Whites material or are you just basing your opinions on the garage rock stuff that put him/White Stripes on the map? I did'nt really enjoy the Cold Mountain Soundtrack, but that didn't keep me from appreciating the artistic merit.
    Maybe it's not an apples to apples comparison, but look at Ryan Adams, just as prolific a songwriter in quantity, but as someone else pointed out in another recent thread, half of it should never have been released. I can't say the same about Jack Whites work even though I don't enjoy it all. I say he's closer to a savior of the music industry than a contributor to it's sad state.

(stepping down from soap box now)
    Yeah, what you said. I like Jack White

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Yeah, it sure was better when we had bands like Whitesnake, Winger, Warrant, Poison, Cinderella, Tesla, Dokken, and the rest of that stuff, wasn't it. It was better when we had Huey Lewis & the News, Bryan Adams, Corey Hart, & the Power Station, wasn't it. I mean, those were the good old days.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't like others.

Haven't heard the new album yet, but I just purchased White Blood Cells on vinyl today, and i'm just about to listen to it! I absolutely loved Elephant, but that's about all i've heard from them besides a couple other singles. As far as people who don't appreciate the white stripes, they have a valid opinion, but its the same people who never understood the appeal of Nirvana either. Technical proficiency certainly does not guarantee an engrossing performance, as the fact that i've never been able to stand prog rock attests.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Yeah, it sure was better when we had bands like Whitesnake, Winger, Warrant, Poison, Cinderella, Tesla, Dokken, and the rest of that stuff, wasn't it. It was better when we had Huey Lewis & the News, Bryan Adams, Corey Hart, & the Power Station, wasn't it. I mean, those were the good old days.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    You're just picking at a few artists whom you think are square.

But check it, most of these artists were all pretty talented. Music making at that time wasn't aided with big computers and plug-ins. It took studio know how, no matter how bad.

I've learned to appreciate a Whitesnake or a Bryan Adams, heck how can you even think Power Station was unhip. Each musician in that group was a full talent. John Taylor is an underrated bass player who kicks ass. Robert was a fantastic rock vocalist. He darred to sing Funk Rock in a suit! The drummer Sonny Thompson was one of the Funkiest drummers to ever have lived. Super talented.

The chick in White Stripes, she know only ONE way to play. And can't count!

But they sound like a wanna-be Led Zep for the iPod generation...so they must be "kewl".

Yeah, you've got me pigeonholed. Good job.

Dahaq is correct, to not like the White Stripes is certainly a valid opinion, and you can like or dislike whatever you want blah blah blah. Fine. But I didn't say anything about talent. The sort of instrumental talent you're describing means a hell of a lot less to me than the talent required to write a song that I like. The acts I mentioned could've conceivably played rings around anyone in my CD collection, according to the opinions of some, and it doesn't matter one whit to me. I've seen the same argument put forth about how the music of Miles Davis is worthless, on the basis that he was not a superior instrumentalist. To that, and to the comparison that says that any band is better than the White Stripes on the basis of instrumental ability, I say go listen to whatever you want to listen to & don't tell me the White Stripes are this or that merely because you think they can't play well. Don't mean squat to me. That said, Meg White is one of the most inept drummers I've heard in a major rock act, but it's quite beside the point. I care about the way the band sounds more than how they play & most of all the songs they write & cover. So I'll take the worst of their output over the 'best' of any act I mentioned any day of the week. Skippy?

I don't like others.

And...recently I heard through the media...tv or radio, how Jack White was rocks most influential rock artist in rock history...I was drinking a soda...it took a few minutes to wipe clean the Sony receiver from the soda spraying it recieved.

But yeah, I can say they got that oooh factor with the drummer girl and two man band thing. But Elephant was intersting for about two plays. Then I realized kids need their own heroes.

AND! And its also too bad that female drummers on the level of Sheila E. are just so rare nowadays. Look at the Donna's drummer. Just hair...and she nearly effed up her wrists because she has no...no...oh whatever.

Angry

Yeah, you've got me pigeonholed. Good job.
    Thanks.

The sort of instrumental talent you're describing means a hell of a lot less to me than the talent required to write a song that I like.
    I believe personally that if you learn to play your instrument well, that songwriting will come naturally.

That said, Meg White is one of the most inept drummers I've heard in a major rock act, but it's quite beside the point...Skippy?
    How can inept be besides the point when its so obvious! I grimmace when she comes in on the 16th instead of the one. Its ONE, two, three, four...ONE, two....not e-an-ah...and...one...three...

Its ONE, two, three, four!!!

No wonder Jack bouncing all over the place on stage, sweating...he's not rocking, he's frustrated with his sister!

Well, you sound a heckuva lot like someone who's never heard a Shaggs record. As for this...

>I believe personally that if you learn to play your instrument well, that songwriting will come naturally.

The mere existence of both Yngwie Malmsteen & Bob Dylan tell me this is a weak generalization at best.

I don't like others.

Everybody values different aspects of music. Some like polish and finesse. Some like raw angst and energy. Some like virtuosity. Some like drama, some like humor. Some like fashion, some like attitude. Some like artistry.

To some people a player like Meg as a liability that ruins a band. Take playing your instrument / music seriously so that the listener can as well! Others see it as a sneering "sticking it to the man" statement. The ultimate rock and roll attitude.

Some people think the Stripes are rock's new saviors, other think they are derrivative, boring rehashes of music that sucked back in the 70s too.

No one is wrong. It's not math, there is no right and wrong answer, just taste.

Does Cory still wear his sunglasses at night?

Talking ++

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Yeah, what you said. I like Jack White

Yeah. What you both said.

I, too, like the White Stripes. Very talented and fun!!

Forum Regular
    IMHO, both the white stripes and all those 80s butt rock bands mentioned above suck.
    Peace
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Oh...and I wanna marry Meg White.

I like the way she drums...most drummers hit them things too much. I even like when she sings.

hmmmm, that would make her...

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Oh...and I wanna marry Meg White.

I like the way she drums...most drummers hit them things too much. I even like when she sings.
    ....Meg Nobody? You may have to start your own duo: The White Nobody's....hmmmm, maybe not...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I'd say 80% of those artists write better songs than Jack White ever could come close to doing. I'll give you Poison and Warrant.

I'd say 98% of those bands could play circles around Jack white on guitar, take away Corey Hart & Huey Lewis who are not really guitar oriented artists. Let's get down to brass tacks here..Winger..Reb Beach could slaughter Jack White on guitar. Whitesnake...Steve Vai..Adrian Vandenberg? Please. Jack White couldn't tune their guitars. Tesla..Frank Hannon..Tommy Skeoch..real guitarists. Dokken..George Lynch..nuff said. Have you actually listened to these people play?

Power Station? Tony Thompson is a legend. Robert Palmer is a legend. RIP both of them.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I have nothing of value to add to this thread other than to tell DaHaq that I love his avatar and wish that I'd thought of it.

Hey! Mr. White Stripe! I'm crushing your head!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information