Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    My HT equipment got zapped!

    We had some bad lightning strikes on Tuesday afternoon, but no damage was evident to us until the next day, although the alarm system went haywire for a little bit. I left at 3 AM on Wednesday to go the the final practice rounds of the US Open at Oakmont, and my garage door opened by wouldn't close. I had to shut it manually and found out upon my return that the circuit board was fried.

    Thursday night was my first venture to the HT room in several days, and the entire circuit that powers my equipment was out. The breaker was tripped but would not turn back on, so I called my younger brother, who happens to be an electrician, and we started out replacing the breaker, which didn't help. We had already unplugged my surge protector and a few other items (my Mesa Boogie guitar amp primarily), then found out a tripped GFI was the culprit. Once that was reset, we plugged the Monster surge protector back in and it tripped the circuit once again, so we figured it was shot.

    Now I was concerned that my equipment got destroyed too, so I was sweating bullets as I plugged each one into the wall outlet and turned them on. To my relief, the DVD player, my Rotel processor, the HD cable converter, the Hi Def TV and my 2 channel Adcom, which powers the di-pole side speakers in my 7.1 channel rig, were all fine. However, my Adcom GFA 7500 5 Channel THX amp would not power up. I was relieved when I found out the fuse was bad, so I bought a replacement and inserted it, but nothing! Dang!

    Well, my Monster offers a lifetime warranty and up to 100K for any equipment damage, but now I have to go through the mess of filing a claim.

    Anyone else have a similar experience?

    G Swish
    Last edited by Swish; 06-18-2007 at 07:36 AM.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  2. #2
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...although the alarm system when haywire for a little bit...

    G Swish
    What's your address again?















  3. #3
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    I feel bad for you. For people like us, it's about the worst thing that could happen. I always unplug my gear for that reason...

    Best wishes,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  4. #4
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Well, my Monster offers a lifetime warranty and up to 100K for any equipment damage, but now I have to go through the mess of filing a claim.

    Hopefully it isn't too bad of a mess. But it must be frustrating to go and buy a surge protector that doesn't protect. I had a friend who lost a computer that way, and eventually did get reimbursed...eventually.

  5. #5
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    I almost jumped thru the phone when talking to Monster...

    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Hopefully it isn't too bad of a mess. But it must be frustrating to go and buy a surge protector that doesn't protect. I had a friend who lost a computer that way, and eventually did get reimbursed...eventually.
    ...just a few minutes ago. The guy was trying to tell me that equipment loss is only covered for 5 years on the model I have, although they would replace the unit. I read the manual cover to cover and AT NO POINT does it mention only a 5 year warranty. He told me that may be so, but it's only a 5 year warranty.

    Well, needless to say, I told him to put a manager on the phone because their manual never states a time limit. He asked me to hold, and after about 5 minutes, came back and told me that, although the warranty is only 5 years (now I was ready to scream) they would honor it for me. I told him that if the warranty is only for 5 years, then they needed to put that in the manual or they have no choice but to honor it for life. He didn't say much after that, but I'm getting a new surge protector, free of charge, and will get an estimate for repairs on my amp.

    One guy I spoke to suggested the power supply is likely shot, and that it should be an easy fix. It will be a big pain in the arse to disconnect all the wires and inter-connects from this baby, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

    G Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  6. #6
    Suspended PeruvianSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,373
    Why is this under the Rave Recordings section?

  7. #7
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Why is this under the Rave Recordings section?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    If I may be so bold...

    It seems to me that some people here in RR don't even know (or care) that there are many forums at Audio Review. Sometimes I feel like I'm imposing on someone's private clique when I stop in here. 3-LockBox, your question about your iPod could surely be answered in the Portable Audio forum, and yeah, we have a lot of fun in the Off Topic forum as well. GMichael is at his hilarious best in his Jokes thread.

    I get the impression that people here sub to their threads and only stop in when they get e-mail. But, far be it from me to interfere.
    G Swish baby, why didn't you post this in General Audio? You probably would've gotten more accurate and comprehensive answers...

  8. #8
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Why do you care?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Why is this under the Rave Recordings section?
    This is the only place I post on a regular basis and most of the veterans here know me well and I thought that they would be interested and/or have a similar story. I wasn't looking for advice from anyone because I already have it handled.

    Besides, I think it's good to mix it up rather than reading about the latest prog release or concert, which seems to be dominating the board lately.

    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  9. #9
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    I've been on a couple other forums here in the past...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    G Swish baby, why didn't you post this in General Audio? You probably would've gotten more accurate and comprehensive answers...
    ...but this is my 'home', and to repeat my response to Peruvian Sky, I wasn't looking for help or advice, just sharing my misery with my friends here. To tell you the truth, I get better advice here than most of the other sites anyway.

    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  10. #10
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    The Rave Recordings section has always been sort of a click here. Many of the posters there (here) post exclusively to that (this) section. It wasn't until a short time ago that even FA has ventured out into the rest of the forum. About a year ago, I started a thread in the RR section. Several posters asked me how I got so many posts to my name without them ever seeing my moniker.

    Glad to see that Monster is standing behind their product, even though you had to drag it out of them. I've heard many horror stories of others who weren't so lucky. "Take us to court" was one I saw. Wasn't worth it for a small claim.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  11. #11
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Why is this under the Rave Recordings section?
    uh, because we like Swish and are interested in his life. Wish I had time to investigate every single forum here but I only check on this one.

    I like the people on this board

    I am interested in how they're doing or what they are up to

    I trust and respect the people on this board and therefore rely on their opinions for a whole lot more than record recommendations.

    This makes this forum a nice little community. I'm sorry if you haven't picked up on that by now. It's really the only reason I've hung around for over a decade. Hopefully one day you'll have the same outlook on the joint.

    Swish- I've suffered through a lightning strike and it sucks. Luckily our homes didn't burn to the ground! I lost all my electronics when we where hit. Alarm, garage door openers, every TV and so on. My insurance was pretty helpful and in the end we got everything replaced. I'll be honest though, I still wish I had my Denon 3300. The replacement was A 3802 that's been sitting in a box for years. It's a pretty big POS. Hope you get everything back up and running.

    Oh, and I've been on vacation. Did your copy of Boxer ever show up. I'm in love with that band and the album is freaking incredible.

    Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  12. #12
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Thanks for the support GM.

    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The Rave Recordings section has always been sort of a clique here. Many of the posters there (here) post exclusively to that (this) section. It wasn't until a short time ago that even FA has ventured out into the rest of the forum. About a year ago, I started a thread in the RR section. Several posters asked me how I got so many posts to my name without them ever seeing my moniker.

    Glad to see that Monster is standing behind their product, even though you had to drag it out of them. I've heard many horror stories of others who weren't so lucky. "Take us to court" was one I saw. Wasn't worth it for a small claim.
    You're right, this place is a clique to me, although some of the old-timers are dropping like flies. I hope that trend doesn't continue, but who knows.

    Yeah, the guy from Monster really ticked me off. I took the time to read the entire manual, and went over the warranty about 3 times, and there is nothing denoting a time limit on connected equipment failure. I'm hoping the Adcom problem is merely the power supply, which I'm told is the most likely problem, but I'll await the technicians report. I'll be dropping it off there on Friday.

    Regards,
    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  13. #13
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    You're right, this place is a clique to me, although some of the old-timers are dropping like flies. I hope that trend doesn't continue, but who knows.

    Yeah, the guy from Monster really ticked me off. I took the time to read the entire manual, and went over the warranty about 3 times, and there is nothing denoting a time limit on connected equipment failure. I'm hoping the Adcom problem is merely the power supply, which I'm told is the most likely problem, but I'll await the technicians report. I'll be dropping it off there on Friday.

    Regards,
    Swish
    Thanks for correcting my spelling without saying anything about it.

    I have done similar things here (AR in general). When I was looking for a new camera, I posted here in an audio forum, for advice, for the same reasons. I know and trust the people here more than I would a bunch of strangers at some camera forum. So I can see why you, and others here, trust each other more than the members from other sections.

    Not sure why activity has been dropping off. I've seen many posters give reasons, but those same reasons exist at other sites that are flourishing so I don't know what to think. I do miss many who have past beyond the rim. May they be happy where there are, but still come back home now and then.

    Good luck with your repair. Don't forget to let us know how you make out.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  14. #14
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Couldn't have said it better Jimbo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    uh, because we like Swish and are interested in his life. Wish I had time to investigate every single forum here but I only check on this one.

    I like the people on this board

    I am interested in how they're doing or what they are up to

    I trust and respect the people on this board and therefore rely on their opinions for a whole lot more than record recommendations.

    This makes this forum a nice little community. I'm sorry if you haven't picked up on that by now. It's really the only reason I've hung around for over a decade. Hopefully one day you'll have the same outlook on the joint.

    Swish- I've suffered through a lightning strike and it sucks. Luckily our homes didn't burn to the ground! I lost all my electronics when we where hit. Alarm, garage door openers, every TV and so on. My insurance was pretty helpful and in the end we got everything replaced. I'll be honest though, I still wish I had my Denon 3300. The replacement was A 3802 that's been sitting in a box for years. It's a pretty big POS. Hope you get everything back up and running.

    Oh, and I've been on vacation. Did your copy of Boxer ever show up. I'm in love with that band and the album is freaking incredible.

    Regards,
    jc
    And yes, I did get Boxer about a week or so ago, and I agree it's outstanding.

    As for the damages, Monster will likely cover the amp repairs and they're sending a new surge protector, so I'm good there. My homeowner's deductible is $500, and I doubt my garage door opener repair will exceed that, so I'll prolly be eating that bill. Isn't it strange that all no other tvs or circuits were damaged? I mean this is the only one where I have a bona fide surge protector and that's the only one that got zapped.

    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  15. #15
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Well, I make enough grammatical errors myself, so...

    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thanks for correcting my spelling without saying anything about it.

    I have done similar things here (AR in general). When I was looking for a new camera, I posted here in an audio forum, for advice, for the same reasons. I know and trust the people here more than I would a bunch of strangers at some camera forum. So I can see why you, and others here, trust each other more than the members from other sections.

    Not sure why activity has been dropping off. I've seen many posters give reasons, but those same reasons exist at other sites that are flourishing so I don't know what to think. I do miss many who have past beyond the rim. May they be happy where there are, but still come back home now and then.

    Good luck with your repair. Don't forget to let us know how you make out.
    ...pointing out the mistakes of others would be hypocritical IMO.

    As for the other forums, I did ask advice a couple times, but being a stranger by comparison, didn't get much help. Some of the guys here have so much PC and audio knowledge that there's no need to go elsewhere.

    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  16. #16
    Close 'n PlayŽ user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    Sucks!

    Yeah, I remember when Jim had the same problem. Not sure I ever heard you got closure tho. Good.

    Yeah, I have a separate link to the RR forum. I sometimes hit the movies page too, but it's generally very slow. Slower than this board, even.

    You guys can call it cliquish if you like, but that's partially the fact that the small handful of posters at RR have been here for 5+ years, some almost 10(!), and partially that we seem to be the only people that post here. If there were even 25 people posting here every day, this small group of old-timers would still be here, but less obvious.

    Message Boards appear cliquish because of low traffic. If ar.com management doesn't like it, I suggest they consolidate the music and film boards into "Media" for starters and consider drastically shrinking the number of sub-forums overall. What are there, like 18 of them? Have just one honkin big, but franticly active, forum. Makes the site appear less like a backwater.

  17. #17
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    You guys can call it cliquish if you like, but that's partially the fact that the small handful of posters at RR have been here for 5+ years, some almost 10(!), and partially that we seem to be the only people that post here. If there were even 25 people posting here every day, this small group of old-timers would still be here, but less obvious.
    Correct as usual. I have no idea why the fact that the same posters meet here every other day bugs the others. Its like a coffee shop. It doesn't mean that if you your friends go to a coffee shop that you have to drink coffee. Even Starbucks sells Fruitopia and Italian sodas. RR has the better ambience.

    If the same posters didn't post here every day, then there wouldn't be any posters. So, someone gets upset if we don't respond to a "What's your favorite Fleetwood Mac song/album?" question, then goes away mad and writes his/her experience off as "they're cliquish" ... too little time to let others rent space in my head.

    Other music boards seem just as slow. And the other forums here at AR are just as slow. Over at Progressive Ears, there is a ton of new posts and 50 or 60 regulars. There are also a half-dozen or so new threads per week about Yes and Genesis. Gets boring. Many of the resopnses to those posts are simply, "Oh no, not another Genesis thread!" Most posters here just tend not to respond to that which doesn't interest them, or should we resort to posting these: - That wouldn't be very nice, but it would be at least, a reply.

    Now if I want to talk about freezing CDs and green felt markers, I'll try the general or tweak boards

  18. #18
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Correct as usual. I have no idea why the fact that the same posters meet here every other day bugs the others. Its like a coffee shop. It doesn't mean that if you your friends go to a coffee shop that you have to drink coffee. Even Starbucks sells Fruitopia and Italian sodas. RR has the better ambience.
    Feel free to name names 3LB, it doesn't bother me. But really, you're reading more into my post than what I intended.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox
    If the same posters didn't post here every day, then there wouldn't be any posters. So, someone gets upset if we don't respond to a "What's your favorite Fleetwood Mac song/album?" question, then goes away mad and writes his/her experience off as "they're cliquish" ... too little time to let others rent space in my head.
    You keep harping on this, and I thought I made my position clear with this post in response to yours, when you questioned why people called this forum a clique...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Oh heck no! It certainly doesn't bother me if I say something that ilicits no response. I've been around discussion forums for about ten years now and I realize that's just part of the cyberspace community experience. In fact, I was once named "Thread Killer Extraordinaire" at a Go-fast car forum I used to be a regular at.
    Again, not trying to twist arms, just seems to make more sense to utilize all the resources the AR forums have to offer... IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    ... - That wouldn't be very nice, but it would be at least, a reply.
    This is true.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Now if I want to talk about freezing CDs and green felt markers, I'll try the general or tweak boards
    I don't get it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Why do you care
    Because #1, I grew up right across the river from you...
    #2, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Eagles fan just like you...
    Which means #3, you should be sympathetic to my cause because I'm and Eagles fan living in the middle of Dallas Convicts land.

    Jim Clark, don't mistake PeruvianSkies thoughts with mine. His question was a simple one with I'm sure no underlying contempt or ill will.

    Anyway Swish, I hope everything works out for the best. I bought a Tripp Lite strip as the result of a recommendation from Westcott in the Home Theater forum, and they also offer the same type of warranty and insurance with the particular model I purchased. It also accomodates your coax antenna line and telephone.

  19. #19
    Mutant from table 9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I trust and respect the people on this board and therefore rely on their opinions for a whole lot more than record recommendations.
    Hmmm, that makes me feel bad about recommending Ashley Simpson to so many people as a more "authentic" alternative to her sister.
    ______________________
    Joyce Summers: "You've got really great albums!"
    Rupert "Ripper" Giles: "Yeah... they're okay..."


    "Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

    "I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

  20. #20
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    You're an Iggles fan? Why didn't you say so?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Because #1, I grew up right across the river from you...
    #2, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Eagles fan just like you...
    Which means #3, you should be sympathetic to my cause because I'm and Eagles fan living in the middle of Dallas Convicts land.
    .
    Well, my 'Why do you care' was directed at PS, not you, but I wasn't busting his chops, just wondering why he would care that I did. Heck, I've posted about cars, cigars, beer (lots of times), vacations, my new granddaughter ('Princess Nora')...you name it, and all on this site which I've been visiting for at least 8 or 9 years, perhaps longer if I dig back a bit.

    You have my sympathy living in the dreaded Cowboy country, but wasn't it fun watch them get crushed with McNabb at QB in Philly, and then totally hammered with Garcia at QB in Dallas? That was oh, so satisfying.

    Thanks for the advice on the surge protector, but Monster is sending me a new one to replace the one I had for 8 years without any problems. We even created a separate circuit for my HT equipment, so I'm sort of surprised by this. I guess I'll have to pull the plug whenever storms are approaching.

    G Swish

    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  21. #21
    Suspended PeruvianSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,373

    my comment ...

    was merely a observation since you wanted people to reply to what you had said, I figured you might have better luck in another forum category.

  22. #22
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852

    It's amazing how being assertive can grease the wheels

    Bad deal, GSwishdaddy, but I'm glad you were prepared to go the distance with these characters. I'm never surprised to hear that some lackey's proclamations hit a brick wall when his manager, who probably has neither the time or desire to deal with it, is invited into the fray. It's gotta suck to be a multinational corporation and have to stand behind your product.

    One particularly bad night in college I did one of those heinously retarded guitar flips with an American made, custom painted Kramer and simultaneously the top straplock worked itself free. It shot about seven feet in a flight pattern perfectly prependicular to the floor and came to rest in the sizzling and sparking picture tube of a 36 inch Sony CRT. I bring this up because there was a lot of tequila and agave worms involved and, at the time, I considered it a natural disaster.

    I hope you're up and running soon.

    Peace

  23. #23
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Why is this under the Rave Recordings section?
    It's simple really...because Swishy wanted to share his experience with his friends.

    We're all friends here PS. Even you ...like it or not.

  24. #24
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    356
    wow, sorry to hear about your lightning strike, I guess here in So. Cal. I take that for granted, hell I only see lightning every couple of years and have never heard of any strikes to homes. And we are in the midst of our dries year since they started measuring about 150 years ago, something like less than 4 inches of rain for the entire year...

  25. #25
    Rae
    Rae is offline
    a golden ball of light Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Don't forget to let us know how you make out.
    Personally, I would prefer if Swish would keep that kind of stuff to himself.

    ~Rae

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •