Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'll mention a trio...

Elling
    A foreign flick, so you have to be OK with Subtitles. However, it is a very interesting story about a couple guys from a mental institution trying to find their footing as they move back into the real world. One of my favorites for a while.

eXistenZ
    This one got ignored by many due to the hype of the Matrix, released at the same time. Personally, I liked this virtual reality take a bit better. Very intriguing melding of living tissue with electronics and mechanical devices is a big part of the look and style of this one.

The Secretary
    Good one to watch with a girl, as long as she's not the up tight type. Examination of the odd relationship between a secratary newly released from an institution after a suicide attempt and he new boss. OK...I seem obsessed with institutions, but I swear it's just a coincidence. The way the relationship grows beyond the purely professional is quite intriguing. He's a bit of a sadist, she's a bit of a masochist, and the issues of the relationship are handled in really fine style.

That's a few that come to mind right now that I haven't seen mentioned. Yeah, I'm too late, but you're bound to rent a movie again sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    The Secretary
    Good one to watch with a girl, as long as she's not the up tight type. Examination of the odd relationship between a secratary newly released from an institution after a suicide attempt and he new boss. OK...I seem obsessed with institutions, but I swear it's just a coincidence. The way the relationship grows beyond the purely professional is quite intriguing. He's a bit of a sadist, she's a bit of a masochist, and the issues of the relationship are handled in really fine style.
    I've seen the Secretary, but I did watch it at a time when I wasn't dating, so I watched it alone. That's a great movie. Completely twisted and right up my alley. I've always liked Spader's style too.

I'll add the other two to my list.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar

Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    To rent, that is. I'm not a big movie watcher, but I think this is going to be a good weekend for it (rainy). I really like movies that are a bit off the beaten path. For example I thought Run Lola Run and Memento were both great. It can be any kind of movie (drama, comedy, action, etc.).

So, what's good?

TIA
    I highly recommend Monsoon Wedding. I really had no interest in seeing it, but a friend whose tastes are normally in tune with mine (at least where obscure gems are concerned) talked me into it. Brilliant film that goes places you never expect it to go.

Davey mentioned a movie I also like quite a bit: Donnie Darko. Offbeat and brooding with an interesting cast and a quirky storyline. Gary Jules' version of 'Mad World' in the soundtrack is worth the price of a rental all by itself (the DVD version includes the video in the bonus material). And speaking of tunes, Duran Duran's 'Notorious' is used to excellent effect in a key scene.

Others that you'd probably like:

The Gift - Great flick featuring outstanding performances from Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi. The plot revolves around a psychic (Blanchett) and a murdered girl she sees in visions. Ribisi is downright scary.

The Spanish Prisoner - or anything by writer/director David Mamet. All of Mamet's films have enough plot twists to make you dizzy.

Chocolat - Clever flick; whimsical without being even remotely formulaic.

Love, Actually - One of my favorite films of the past year. Great cast and cleverly woven vignettes about love.

Mystic River - Just watched this two nights ago. The acting is off the scale (Tim Robbins and Sean Penn are just amazing), but this is one DARK film. It's one of those flicks that lingers in your mind long after it's over.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Homer by way of the Coen Brother--and DAMNED funny!

School of Rock - I've never been a big Jack Black fan, but he's great fun in this one.
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip_B
    Mystic River - Just watched this two nights ago. The acting is off the scale (Tim Robbins and Sean Penn are just amazing), but this is one DARK film. It's one of those flicks that lingers in your mind long after it's over.
    The book by Dennis Lehane is also excellent and worth reading. Although, if you've seen the movie it's definately a spoiler since you know the ending. I read the book first and it's an interesting read for the additional character development and insight to some of the relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip_B
    The Gift - Great flick featuring outstanding performances from Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi. The plot revolves around a psychic (Blanchett) and a murdered girl she sees in visions. Ribisi is downright scary.
    This description reminded me of another favourite movie...Dead Again. A strange thriller about murder, amnesia, and reincarnation. Robin Williams is excellent in a dramatic role as a psychiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Last night we watched Mulholland Drive on TV. I was glued to the set for the full three hours (with commercials) and at the end said, "WTF? I don't get it". That one was beyond David Lynch's usual weirdness and into what was the point territory. I like strange movies, but in the end the plot still needs to make sense. It seemed to me that he totally abandoned the plot in this one. Too much of it just didn't have any rhyme or reason. Any one else see this one?
    Hehehe, I checked out the DVD from the library about a week ago and finally got around to watching it over the weekend. The first half or so is really cool, nice feel and sucks you right into the story, but then it gets pretty weird and starts retelling scenes from different angles and switching around characters and all sorts of strangeness, almost like a dream. Not sure what to make of it, but it was fun to watch and the two lead actresses are very compelling, even without the short, steamy love scene(s) between them. Funny how much a couple nice sets of exposed boobs can add to a film, huh? Or does the TV version edit out the sex scenes in Canada? Oh well, I'd probably recommend it for the first half since it is a long movie.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hehehe, I checked out the DVD from the library about a week ago and finally got around to watching it over the weekend. The first half or so is really cool, nice feel and sucks you right into the story, but then it gets pretty weird and starts retelling scenes from different angles and switching around characters and all sorts of strangeness, almost like a dream. Not sure what to make of it, but it was fun to watch and the two lead actresses are very compelling, even without the short, steamy love scene(s) between them. Funny how much a couple nice sets of exposed boobs can add to a film, huh? Or does the TV version edit out the sex scenes in Canada? Oh well, I'd probably recommend it for the first half since it is a long movie.
    I really dug that flick. Here's one explanation of what was going on: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/watw/0...nd-drive.shtml

Here's a better, perhaps "definitive" explanation, but you may have to be a subscriber to Salon to view it: http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...rive_analysis/

Quote Originally Posted by DariusNYC
    I really dug that flick. Here's one explanation of what was going on: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/watw/0...nd-drive.shtml

Here's a better, perhaps "definitive" explanation, but you may have to be a subscriber to Salon to view it: http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...rive_analysis/
    Yeah, the DVD actually comes with a list of clues from Lynch when you open the box, probably because of all the confusion from the theatrical release. Of course, I didn't read them until I'd already watched it. It's one of those movies that you keep thinking about for days. Lots of scenes still bouncing around in my head. I just liked the way it was filmed, that darkness. Like I said, really sucked me in from the opening scenes, but especially leading up to and after the car crash. Watched most of it a second time. Television could sure use another series like Twin Peaks. Can't understand why the studios would have turned down something like this, especially with his track record.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    So...how is Mulholland Drive any different from Lost Highway? That one didn't make any sense to me. I think that's the point. So I never bothered watching Mulholland Drive. I think it's one (two) of those films that when you want to get rid of a friend, you say, "Here, watch this, this is a really great movie. You'll love the ending."
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Hey Dusty...watch Mulholland Drive. It's a really great movie. You'll love the ending!

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

Hey now!

Lpppt! :wink:

You know, Eraserhead is worthing seeing...once...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information