Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking Most Recent CD Purchased??.....

Hello, folks.

It's Friday, so let's play a little game.

1. List your most recent buy

2. Provide a word or two about it

3. Give it a rating out of 5 (5 being "must have")

Here's mine.....

1. The Dears' "No Cities Left"

2. One of the most varied, yet cohesive, CDs I've experienced in the last year. Great vocals and quirky lyrics. Definitely indie-alternative music. Very well recorded. A marriage between heavenly instrumentation and symphonic vocalizations. From Montreal.... 5th release.“

3. 4/5

Come on....give it a try,
    Bill aka audiobill

Sitar Sudha - This is sitar music from Nepal. Nice mellow stuff, and something I'll listen to from time to time because it has percussion with it. It came in a wooden jewel case with painted artwork on it. 3.5/5.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

China Crisis: Acoustically Yours

An "unplugged" style live recording of China Crisis performing some of thier better material. I've only listened once, but I guess I'd rate it a 3. After listening, it left me wanting to pull a studio album like Diary of a Hollow Horse (which I did, and enjoyed more).

Forum Regular

My most recent

Air - Talkie Walkie

It's electronica/ambient pop stuff with some vocals

Rating out of 5, I'll give it a 4 for now lots of immediate likeable tracks

Cheers
    Mike

Jolie Holland, Catalpa- Minimalist Appalachian Roots music with modern lyrics influenced by Dolly Parton and Syd Barrett. And a W. B Yeats poem set to music, the same one that T. Rapp set to music on his Journal of the Plague Year- it's a small world. Beautiful album. 3.5/5.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

64 days into 2004 and I still haven't puchased anything...

...but that'll change later today. On my wishlist:

Cansecos - s/t
    The Black Heart Procession - 2 and/or 3
    Richard Davies - Telegraph (hopefully on vinyl)

There still hasn't been a 2004 release (that I'm aware of) that I want yet.

NP: Davey's Fun In The Sun (thanks )

~Slosh - whiney bastard

Actually went on a bit of a spending spree last weekend. I'll just list the one I've probably listened to the most of the bunch this week.

Telefon Tel Aviv: Map of What is Effortless, which I've already talked about in the Wednesday thread. Blend of various electronic styles with laid back R&B, featuring a live orchestral backing. Ranges from nearly radio ready grooves to ambient experiments. I guess I'd put it somewhere around a 4 of 5.

Oh, and I have to mention that the new Horrorpops: Hell Yeah! kicks ass too. Fast-paced, rockabilly fun with attitude, hooks, and punk leanings, another 4 of 5.

Waiting for the new Savath & Savalas to get here in the mail.

Forum Regular
    Picked up Los Lonely Boys at Walmart for $10. With high expectations, first listen was a little deflating, sounding a little too much like over-produced Indigenous. Second time around and its grooving a bit better. I think this is music for warmer weather , of which I am waiting for...

Forum Regular

Gary Numan - I, Assasin

2) It's a transitional album for Gary, not really very strong at all, a few good toons, has an annoying repetitive synth percussion sound in every toon that annoys me, but it's ok, nothing more, not a must have Numan title by any stretch.

3) I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I paid 12 bucks for it and it's the most recent remaster.

At the same time I bought a killer mag. called "Rock", it's a British mag. Best part and worst part at the same time is the concerts listed in the back. Sheesh if I lived over in the UK I'd be at a gig every weekend.

Dave

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    It's been a while...I think the last thing I got was the new Lamb, Between Darkness and Wonder -- it's not their most accessible release, there are no immediate "singles" that leap out, and several of the tracks are more experimental than usual (the opening track is probably the most -- and daringly -- so). Still, after a couple of repeated listens, it's a grower. Jury's still out, so this is by no means my final verdict, but I'd say 3.5/5 -- only because they've set such high standards for themselves with previous albums.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thanks for the Tip Dave....

[

At the same time I bought a killer mag. called "Rock", it's a British mag. Best part and worst part at the same time is the concerts listed in the back. Sheesh if I lived over in the UK I'd be at a gig every weekend.

I'm always looking for new music mags....I'll be on the lookout for this one.

thanks,
    Bill

How would your describe "Savalas" .....

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Actually went on a bit of a spending spree last weekend. I'll just list the one I've probably listened to the most of the bunch this week.

Telefon Tel Aviv: Map of What is Effortless, which I've already talked about in the Wednesday thread. Blend of various electronic styles with laid back R&B, featuring a live orchestral backing. Ranges from nearly radio ready grooves to ambient experiments. I guess I'd put it somewhere around a 4 of 5.

Oh, and I have to mention that the new Horrorpops: Hell Yeah! kicks ass too. Fast-paced, rockabilly fun with attitude, hooks, and punk leanings, another 4 of 5.

Waiting for the new Savath & Savalas to get here in the mail.
    Is Savalas a heavy kind of band?? Never heard of them before.

Who loves ya baby,
    Bill

Nope. Savath & Savalas is a project of Scott Herrin from Prefuse 73. The latest record is actually done in Spanish, featuring vocals from a girl from Barcelona, where Herrin spent some time recently. The whole thing's got a kind of Brazillian/Latin vibe, really laid back with a mix of acoustic and electronic instruments.

Nothing heavy at all.

If you want heavy, I did recently start listening to Texas Terri and the Stiff Ones. I've seen her described as a famale Iggy Pop. I can go with that. Thrashy trashy stuff.

The Virgin Suicides .....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Air - Talkie Walkie

It's electronica/ambient pop stuff with some vocals

Rating out of 5, I'll give it a 4 for now lots of immediate likeable tracks

Cheers
    Mike
    Do you have the Air soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides??
    It's very cool.

Moon Safari is also worth seeking out. I'll have to give Air's latest a listen.
    Cheers,
    Bill

I know what you mean about warm weather....

Quote Originally Posted by jasn
    Picked up Los Lonely Boys at Walmart for $10. With high expectations, first listen was a little deflating, sounding a little too much like over-produced Indigenous. Second time around and its grooving a bit better. I think this is music for warmer weather , of which I am waiting for...
    It's weird how some music gets stored away for the winter months -- it just doesn't resonate the same as it does when summer rolls around.

What are the 2 best Numan CDs to get??

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    2) It's a transitional album for Gary, not really very strong at all, a few good toons, has an annoying repetitive synth percussion sound in every toon that annoys me, but it's ok, nothing more, not a must have Numan title by any stretch.

3) I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I paid 12 bucks for it and it's the most recent remaster.

Dave
    What would be your 2 "must have" Numan discs?? Are they remastered??
    Thanks, Bill

Isildurs Bane - Mind vol 4: Pass 1

Just got it in the mail yesterday and I haven't listened to it yet.

But I'd say prior to that it was Return To Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy.

Chick Corea fronted fusion released in 1973. Al DiMeola would not appear until the next RTF release "Where Have I Known You Before" but Bill Connors does a fantastic job on guitar. I liked his aggressive playing style. A good effort with a distinct "rock" approach that was not seen in the previous two releases.

3.5/5

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Dolly and Syd.....

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Jolie Holland, Catalpa- Minimalist Appalachian Roots music with modern lyrics influenced by Dolly Parton and Syd Barrett. And a W. B Yeats poem set to music, the same one that T. Rapp set to music on his Journal of the Plague Year- it's a small world. Beautiful album. 3.5/5.
    Wow that's quite the pairing of influences. My interest is definitely piqued.

Btw., Have you listened to any of Johnny Dowd's music?? I think you'd like it.

Lmk, if you haven't,

Bill

Lamb .....

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    It's been a while...I think the last thing I got was the new Lamb, Between Darkness and Wonder -- it's not their most accessible release, there are no immediate "singles" that leap out, and several of the tracks are more experimental than usual (the opening track is probably the most -- and daringly -- so). Still, after a couple of repeated listens, it's a grower. Jury's still out, so this is by no means my final verdict, but I'd say 3.5/5 -- only because they've set such high standards for themselves with previous albums.

One of our RR faithful hooked me into their latest.
    Is it just me or does Lamb need to be played loud to be enjoyed??
    Cheers,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Wow that's quite the pairing of influences. My interest is definitely piqued.

Btw., Have you listened to any of Johnny Dowd's music?? I think you'd like it.

Lmk, if you haven't,

Bill
    Bill,

I've got all of Dowd's cd's. My kinda music- sick and twisted............

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

One of our RR faithful hooked me into their latest.
    Is it just me or does Lamb need to be played loud to be enjoyed??
    It's just you.

No, seriously, I've never thought of that. I don't really associate their music with being played loudly. I'll give it a shot, though, I've been wrong before.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Two must have Numan cd's:

Probably the two to get would be:

1) The Pleasure Principle

2) Telekon

or

2.5) Replicas

Telekon is kind of dark yet light.

Hard to say, but choose 2 of the above 3 and you can't go wrong.

Yes, they are all remastered now.

Also real good is the 2 disc sets "Living Ornaments", live in 79 and 81 I believe, but get the studio stuff in your head first.

Dave

What would be your 2 "must have" Numan discs?? Are they remastered??
    I'm not Dave, but I'd like to pipe in here:

The Pleasure Principle (aka the one with "Cars" on it) -- a lot of people agree that it was his creative peak, and it certainly is one of his best albums. Yes, it's remastered, with bonus tracks including a cover of "On Broadway".

My other one is not from his classic period: Exile -- this is latter day Numan, very chunky, dark, but still very "new romantic". Highly recommended. "Absolution" is his best song ever. There's two versions of this -- regular and extended. Either one is okay, really. If you're one of those people who want to get more for your money, get the extended one, but the essence of the songs exist in the regular version. I actually think the extended version tries one's patience a little bit, so I would lean towards the regular version.

But if you want to stick to classic Numan, I would recommend Replicas -- that seems to be the other one that most people love the most. And yes, it is also remastered with bonus tracks.

Starting with Telekon, he shifted gears and started using Mick Karn on fretless bass, and ended up sounding more new romantic and less new wavey. Personally, I think this peaked with Dance, which great tracks like "Slowcar to China" (sounding very Japan-y), plus the remaster has the delightful deep cut, "Stormtrooper in Drag". (From this period, there's also I, Assassin.)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    It's very cool.

Moon Safari is also worth seeking out. I'll have to give Air's latest a listen.
    Cheers,
    Bill
    Bill, I've not heard Virgin Suicides I'll maybe need to check it out, my only exposure to Air is Moon Safari and a couple of tracks here and there on comps.

The latest one is getting rave reviews at the moment, much better than their last album by all accounts but I've not heard the last one so can't comment. I rate is as good as, maybe better than Moon Safari.

Cheers
    Mike

It's very cool.
    I concur with audiobill on this one. The Virgin Suicide s/t is very nice. Sofia
    Coppola must be pretty cool, because the music in Lost in Translation
    was also very well done and it was an excellent movie to boot

John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information