Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I think I would like to hear it before I get it, as I got a little scared off by their previous one (no that's not a hint). I did end up liking it, so have to admit to being curious, but it took several listens. Which, in itself, is normally not a bad thing (some of my favourite albums take several listens), but I never warmed up to it more than "medium".
    I guess they haven't had an album out for about 5 years now, although they did do that one with Damon and Naomi which I heard some of. Didn't sound much like this though. But from what I've read about this one in relation to the past (this being my first exposure beyond the Damon and Naomi thing) it's pretty much "meet the new bong, same as the old bong" so you may not warm up to it either. It does live mostly in the late 60s/early 70s age of experimentation, blending the sound of bands like Pink Floyd, Spirit, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Ten Years After and maybe even some Led Zep. And even a dose of Celtic that tentoze has mentioned and that brings in the Fairport Convention folk-rock sound and lots of flute that lends a definite Jethro Tull sound to my ear. Lots to like.....or dislike, depending on your perspective. Still not sure how much I like it but I do keep listening to it

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Lots to like.....or dislike, depending on your perspective. Still not sure how much I like it but I do keep listening to it
    The more I listened, the more I found to like. Too much going on in it to judge it after one or two spins, at least that was MY narrow experience with it. I brought it back to FL with me yesterday for an airing out on the real stereo, and it's even more impressive........louder is better.

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

PPG
    Supersonic Guitars in 3D - Los Straitjackets - fun to listen to but it sounds like the masked axemen are treading water a bit. ("Giggle Water?")
    Last edited by PPG; 03-18-2004 at 03:20 AM.

42 Regular
    I finally bought Porky Tree's In Absentia. It was a DVD-A / DTS / PCM 2.0 disc at Best Buy for 14.99 American. My DVD player wouldn't recognize it. So I'm going to return it. Anyone else have this problem?

Also bought the 30th anniversary remaster of Santana III, but I haven't played it yet.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I finally bought Porky Tree's In Absentia. It was a DVD-A / DTS / PCM 2.0 disc at Best Buy for 14.99 American. My DVD player wouldn't recognize it. So I'm going to return it. Anyone else have this problem?

Also bought the 30th anniversary remaster of Santana III, but I haven't played it yet.
    That's a bummer. How old is your DVD player?

Mine is at least 5 years old and predates all this DVD-A stuff. The users manual specifically says that it will only play back CD's and DVD's. And they are right, it won't recognize CDR's. I have no idea if it will recognize a DVD-A or not.

Maybe it's time for me to upgrade.
    Last edited by DarrenH; 03-18-2004 at 02:04 PM.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I have an older DVD player (Pioneer DVL-919 -- the one that also plays laserdiscs) and it didn't have any problem playing the DVD-V layer.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

42 Regular
    I have the Toshiba 3109, which is notoriously picky about what it will read (no CD-Rs, etc.). I have played DTS-CDs on it many times, though, so I was fully expecting it to read the DTS portion of this disc (or at least the PCM 2-channel layer). Instead, I get the blinking "LOADING" prompt forever.

Oh well.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information