Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Most listened to of 2006?

OK…not asking for necessarily the best or anything like that. Just, of the 2006 releases you’ve got, what have you listened to the most. It can be something that came out months ago and keeps hanging around or something that you just got and can’t stop playing…whatever.

Mine? I’d have to say ISAN: Plans Drawn in Pencil. It’s just a really nice listen. If you want some slow analog synths, this is the group to go to these days. I probably like their Lucky Cat release better, but this one is right up there with it. Not one for every mood, and not anything groundbreaking or much removed from the rest of their catalog. But, when I’m coming home late night looking for something soothing or crawling around the house early in the morning, looking for a gentle way to wake up, this one gets pulled out quite regularly.

So, what’s you most listened to of the year?

Zion I and Grouch - Heroes in the City of Dope.

Jason Moran - Artist in Residence.

I think I need to start buying new music.

Acroma- orbitals

NIN - with teeth

Gorillaz - Demon Days
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Definitely the Arctic Monkeys album.

The issue of the Beatles' Capitol Albums Vol. 2 is probably 2nd, & worth mentioning as top reissue/box in my book. Also the very, very good New York Dolls record, but I have to rank the latest Beck record as a disappointment. First album I've ever heard from him that sounds like he wasn't trying. But then on the other hand, there was the Johnny Cash album, which was at least 150 times better than the one that had preceded it.

I've been overwhelmed & have accumulated a lot of stuff that I haven't had the chance to listen to enuff yet but might've logged more listening time if not for Howard Stern on Sirius, and changing over from PC to Mac. My ITunes is all screwed up, my playlists are intact, but the files themselves aren't there, so I have a lot of dragging & dropping to do.

Stuff I didn't get to listen to as much as I would've liked up to this point: the Bruce Springsteen thing, the Seeger Sessions, the new Dylan, new Cheap Trick, new Madeleine Peyroux, new Ray LaMontagne, Cat Power, Little Willies, Gladys Knight's Before Me, the new issue of what would've been Diana Ross' folllowup to Lady Sings The Blues, the Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint collaboration, new Little Killers, the Sergio Mendes mashup with the otherwise execrable Black Eyed Peas, Easy Star All Stars new project Radiodread, a reggae cover of OK Computer, Derek Trucks' surprisingly good Songlines, the new Jet, Wolfmother, new Big Sandy & the Fly-Rite Boys, most recent Neil Young, the bluegrass Van Halen project with David Lee Roth, Karsh Kale & also Banco De Gaia, Lucky Tomblin, the Exene album, Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs' covers rec, Morningwood, Marta Topferova...all left a positive impression to one extent or another, and all seemed worthy of repeat listens I just haven't been able to get to.

Ehhh, but there is no good music anymore.

I don't like others.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I've spent most of the year going back in time music wise, but from 2006 these got considerable play, probably in this order:
    1) Mogwai - Mr. Beast (excellent cd, btw)
    2) Tool - 10,000 Days
    3) Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
    4) Mastodon - Blood Mountain

These were the only disc from this calendar year that really impressed me. Okay, that and the D's new stuff.

Just saw Pearl Jam play in Melbourne, Australia with Kings of Leon - best show I've seen in years.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Matchbook Romance - Voices has to be the CD that I've listened to the most this year. I picked it up early in the year (February release) and have been spinning it regularly since.

Sam Roberts - Chemical City is high on my list for # of spins.

Ray Lamontagne - Till the Sun Turns Black, although it took a little while to grow on me has definately seen it's fair share of tune time. But Trouble is still a better album IMHO.

And finally, the CD release that I was most excited about...and wasn't disappointed...One-X by Three Days Grace.

I recently picked up My Chemical Romance-Black Parade and I cannot stop listening to it, and I don't even skip a song.

Forum Regular
    It's been a very busy year for me, and I haven't bought much new music at all. I continue to herald the rebirth of the single that has happened as a result of MP3s and iTunes, and I have downloaded a bunch of singles and other tracks that I heard were hot, so that's been great. But as far as albums, there hasn't been many.

The one I listened to most with my wife (in the car, etc.) would have to be The Life Pursuit by Belle & Sebastian. A wonderfully crafted pop album.

The one I listened to most by myself would have to be King by T.I. (The Mrs. doesn't go for the hip hop.) Really great southern rapper with an absolutely infectious behind-the-beat vocal flow. His single "What You Know" was a huge hit, but probably most on this board never heard it.

I'll have to buy some more based on the flood of year end best-of's, etc. Need to get that Gnarls Barkley album. The single, "Crazy", must be the song of the year, although there has been some tough competition this fall.

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third

The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel

The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics

Iron Maiden - Matter of Life and Death

Tool - 10,000 Days

Ohhhh.

Mr Lif - Mo' Mega. the song wa****up is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Baba Zumbi - Science of Breath Vol 3.

JRA

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    So, what’s you most listened to of the year?
    Most of mine are 2005 and earlier releases: Camille, Le Fil; Timeout Drawer, Nowonmai; Rob Dougan, Furious Angels. So ask me next year.

Right now, my easily most played album is Pure Reason Revolution, The Dark Third; earlier in the year, it would have been Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance. The Bright Black Morning Light album is up there too.

I'll have to get that Isan album, although I wasn't as impressed with Lucky Cat as you were.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 12-12-2006 at 06:57 AM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Pretty Girls Make Graves - Elan Vital
    The Grates - Gravity Won't Get You High
    The Long Winters - Putting The Days To Bed

Probably based mainly on how long I've had them although all three will make my top 10 in all liklihood. Oh, and can't forget Electric President that I grabbed very early in the year and played the L out of of. A serious contender for my album of the year.

jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 12-12-2006 at 11:17 AM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    Tool - 10,000 days
    Isis - In The Absence of Truth
    Clapton/JJ Cale - Road To Escondido
    The Quill - In Triumph
    Katatonia - Great Cold Distance

42 Regular
    Built to Spill - You In Reverse
    The Secret Machines - 10 Silver Drops
    Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
    My Chemical Romance - Black Parade (my daughter's disc, actually)
    Wilco - Kicking Television/Live in Chicago

...and the live DVDs from Porky Tree and My Morning Jacket.
    Last edited by Mr MidFi; 12-12-2006 at 08:58 AM.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

These got their fair share of exposure:

Liam Frost & The Slowdown Family - Show me how the Sceptres Dance

Bright Black - Morning Light

Alejandro Escovedo - The Boxing Mirror

Jeniferever - Choose a bright Morning

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Jeffrey Foucault - Ghost Repeater

Desert Radio - Asleep at the Wheel

Indigo Jones - 40 Miles

Palodine - Desolate Son

Angie Palmer - Tales of Light and Darkness

The Waterboys - Karma to Burn

and last but not least

Mighty Sam McClain - Sweet Dreams

Thanks to this great board some wonderful tunes are bringing musical joy.

Peace

Bernd
    Last edited by Bernd; 12-12-2006 at 09:59 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Not being...

...particularly au courant, in the pure pop for now people mode, the only disc which I purchased that was released this year: the eponymic The Little Willies...I guess it qualifies by default...The rest, mostly jazz from the 40s-50s-60s (Miles, 'Trane, Brubeck) and some "NOS" CDs of vinyl albums from my wayward youth...4 Dylan(Another Side of Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blood On the Tracks)...2 Beatles( Rubber Soul, Revolver), 1 Byrds(Younger Than Yesterday), 1 Beach Boys(Sounds Of Summer)...the last one doesn't really count (as a distinct entity from my salad days, that is) because it's all repackaged old stock...

jimHJJ(...there's more "new" old stuff than new "new" stuff to pique my interest...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

I'll have to get that Isan album, although I wasn't as impressed with Lucky Cat as you were.
    If you don't care for Lucky Cat, you probably won't care much for this one either as they're not all that different. This one has a few more sounds tossed in, some little crackles and sputters and such, but they mine much the same ground.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    You'd be surprised -- sometimes something magical and chemical happens and one release by an artist just sort of leaps out at me. Ghost, for example. I like most of their other releases to one degree or another, but nothing compares to Hypnotic Underworld -- that one just rules.

The funny thing is, based on the description, I listened to the samples, and enjoyed them (other than the wonkiness which is Boomkat's Jukebox software). That's pretty much what I listen to all day (check out my Pandora station, for example). So I'll definitely get the album and give it more of a serious chance.

Have you heard Delia Gonzalez and Gavin Russom's album? Same sort of thing, except spacier and more jamrocky, less indietronic. If you listen to the above link for long enough, they play whole (~17 minute) tracks from it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I'm gonna have to check out that link. Moving to a new office later this week where I will be able to play some music throughout the day (kinda hard to play much where I'm at right now), so it probably won't be until then...but thanks.

Mutant from table 9
    Unfortunately my list reveals somewhat questionable taste in music. Alot of you guys seem to be spending alot of time with some challenging indie rock. I seem to be wasting my time.

These are the disks that have not left my car since I bought the disks, other than to get ripped, so they are defacto the most played 2006 releases:

Dixie Chicks - Taking the Long Way
    Zebrahead - Broadcast to the World
    Joan Jett - Sinner
    Reel Big Fish - Our live album is better than your live album.
    Buckcherry - 15
    Anti-Flag - For blood and empire.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

I'm a long time Joan Jett fan...but haven't heard her new one. Saw her live a while back and she played a couple new songs that sounded good. How's the whole thing?

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Definitely the Arctic Monkeys album.

The issue of the Beatles' Capitol Albums Vol. 2 is probably 2nd, & worth mentioning as top reissue/box in my book. Also the very, very good New York Dolls record, but I have to rank the latest Beck record as a disappointment. First album I've ever heard from him that sounds like he wasn't trying. But then on the other hand, there was the Johnny Cash album, which was at least 150 times better than the one that had preceded it.

I've been overwhelmed & have accumulated a lot of stuff that I haven't had the chance to listen to enuff yet but might've logged more listening time if not for Howard Stern on Sirius, and changing over from PC to Mac. My ITunes is all screwed up, my playlists are intact, but the files themselves aren't there, so I have a lot of dragging & dropping to do.

Stuff I didn't get to listen to as much as I would've liked up to this point: the Bruce Springsteen thing, the Seeger Sessions, the new Dylan, new Cheap Trick, new Madeleine Peyroux, new Ray LaMontagne, Cat Power, Little Willies, Gladys Knight's Before Me, the new issue of what would've been Diana Ross' folllowup to Lady Sings The Blues, the Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint collaboration, new Little Killers, the Sergio Mendes mashup with the otherwise execrable Black Eyed Peas, Easy Star All Stars new project Radiodread, a reggae cover of OK Computer, Derek Trucks' surprisingly good Songlines, the new Jet, Wolfmother, new Big Sandy & the Fly-Rite Boys, most recent Neil Young, the bluegrass Van Halen project with David Lee Roth, Karsh Kale & also Banco De Gaia, Lucky Tomblin, the Exene album, Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs' covers rec, Morningwood, Marta Topferova...all left a positive impression to one extent or another, and all seemed worthy of repeat listens I just haven't been able to get to.

Ehhh, but there is no good music anymore.
    How does the Capitol Albums compare to the remasters vol1 & 2? I have those and enjoy them.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Right now, my easily most played album is Pure Reason Revolution, The Dark Third

gotta love PRR

Have you heard Lacuna Coil's new one yet?

I heard Katatonia's Viva Emptiness and was neither 'here, nor there' about it, finding it a tad fatiguing after the two-thirds point...how is that new one compared to Viva?
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 12-12-2006 at 12:45 PM.

My top five, which are also the most played....

5) Joseph Arthur~ Nuclear Daydream- Needs more spinnage. The young man makes frightening and fine music.

4) Alejandro Escovedo~ The Boxing Mirror- Another one that came out of the blue for me. Has gotten a lot of play-time around my house, and the sq is excellent on my system.

3) Hellwood~ Chainsaw of Life- I mean, really, Dowd and White weaving dark magic together...

2) Guy Clark~ Workbench Songs- Another masterpiece. enough said.

1) Willie Nile~ Streets of New York- Sometimes, early-in-the-year releases tend to get lost in the shuffle in the ensuing months. No danger of that happening here. Willie dropped the bucket down the rock n' roll well and pulled up an album that everyone else should have made, but didn't have the goods to.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Im suprised that TOOL 10000days was mentioned (3 times?) Laterilus got played more than 10000 this year...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information