View Poll Results: please vote for your more favorite between:

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beach Boys

    7 46.67%
  • REM

    8 53.33%
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Forum Regular newtrix1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    560

    MMM: Beach Boys vs. REM

    semi final match #1: Beach Boys vs. REM

    We'll try and move things along by posting 2 matches today and 2 more later this week.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    A sometimes wet and damp York, England
    Posts
    528
    Whilst not a huge Beach Boys fan you can't deny their importance, though that's no reason for choosing them. But God Only Knows is in my top 5 tracks of all time I just never tire of listening to it.

    Hey Rick I see you are still playing the REM comp I put together for you which must be one of the first comps I ever did. Funnily enough I never kept a copy at the time but I did myself another one later on though no doubt the tracklist is different.

  3. #3
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    REM does nothing for me.
    Look & Listen

  4. #4
    In perfect harmony DarrenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wolverine Country
    Posts
    552
    Let's see, not one Beach Boys cd in my collection, not even Pet Sounds. Sheesh, I should at least have that.

    To be truthful, I never liked The Beach Boys all that much. Never connected with that surf music scene.

    The REM cd's I have are all good ones (Document thru Automatic For The People), at least I think they are good and I'd like to explore more of their catalog.

    I pick REM.

    Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

  5. #5
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lower AL
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH

    To be truthful, I never liked The Beach Boys all that much. Never connected with that surf music scene.
    Interesting comment. I have a decent collection of "surf" music, but there's not a single Beach Boys title in it. Although the Beach Boys have a distinctive sound, my idea of surf music is instrument-driven. Dick Dale and bands like the Ventures, Tornados, Chantays, and contemporary groups like Man or Astro Man, Galaxy Trio define the genre for me.

    And then there are derivatives like these guys:

    http://gallery.audioreview.com/showp...cat=500&page=1

  6. #6
    In perfect harmony DarrenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wolverine Country
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Interesting comment. I have a decent collection of "surf" music, but there's not a single Beach Boys title in it. Although the Beach Boys have a distinctive sound, my idea of surf music is instrument-driven. Dick Dale and bands like the Ventures, Tornados, Chantays, and contemporary groups like Man or Astro Man, Galaxy Trio define the genre for me.

    And then there are derivatives like these guys:

    http://gallery.audioreview.com/showp...cat=500&page=1
    You're probably right but I always thought the Beach Boys were in that surf music genre. Whatever the classification may be, I just never liked them all that much.

    The Ventures are cool.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

  7. #7
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Lower AL
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    You're probably right but I always thought the Beach Boys were in that surf music genre. Whatever the classification may be, I just never liked them all that much.

    The Ventures are cool.
    I may have "defined" the genre too narrowly based on my own preferences. I think I'm in the minority in excluding them. I guess I would put the Beach Boys with groups like Jan&Dean as far as their "fun in the sun" stuff goes, but I never cared for that segment of surf music. I do like Pet Sounds, but I don't think that album is surf.

  8. #8
    42 Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West of the fields, long gone
    Posts
    1,338
    REM. By a very, very wide margin.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. March Music Madness: The Beach Boys vs. The Doors
    By newtrix1 in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 02:53 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 08:48 PM
  3. What's to Los? Los Lonely Boys vs. Los Lobos
    By Worf101 in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 02:20 PM
  4. Lost Boys SE & Black Hawk Down Superbit
    By Lexmark3200 in forum Favorite Films
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:23 PM
  5. Los Lonely Boys music featured on "Joan of Arcadia"
    By Hyfi in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •