Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Maybe they'll do one of those stoner acid rock albums.
    Dooooood! That'd be sooooooo WICKED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Funny you say that............both times I've seen DT, it was a small venue............the first was an outdoor ampitheater and they played SIX DEGREES before the intermission and TRAIN OF THOUGHT after............needless to say, it was a killer show.

Second time was a small venue in Chicago and they played alot of SCENES FROM A MEMORY, OCTAVARIUM and all of SYSTEMATIC CHAOS...........also cool.
    Both bands have grown.

The first two times that I saw DT (2002/03) were small venues, 2,000 to 2,500 people. But the next three were much larger. I'd say 8,000 to 10,000 tickets sold.

The first time that I saw PT (In Absentia tour) was in a tiny club and there were probably less than 200 people there. The last time I saw them (The Indident tour) they sold out a 1,200 seat venue.

Simon Phillips

I have a DVD of a TOTO concert with Simon Phillips at the drum set............technically solid, very musical, good imagination..........I like it.
    It's funny you mention this today. I tivo'd a Toto concert from Directv's home channel recently and watched it last night. Recorded in Paris? Without knowing who was in the band and not seeing him for over 20 years I immediately picked out Simon Phillips, his playing style is so distinctive. The guy is a monster. What is he, in his mid-60s now? And he's able to play so hard and yet, so musically? Wow. Too bad the rest of the concert was so hokey and lame. Most of the songs were like 80s Michael McDonald songs. As a whole, the concert kinda made me throw up in my mouth a little. Thank god I had the ability to FF. Still, Phillips kept me from turning it off entirely.

I just don't see him in a crappy cornball band like Dream Theater. But who knows, he was whoring himself out to Toto, so why not?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I just don't see him in a crappy cornball band like Dream Theater. But who knows, he was whoring himself out to Toto, so why not?

Have sticks; will travel.
    The guy is a mercenary.
    Hey Troy.........another guy I just thought of..........if I was DT, I would want to take a serious look at Chad Wackerman.

.......if I was DT, I would want to take a serious look at Chad Wackerman.
    I don't know who Chad Wackerman is, but a drummer named Wackerman has got to be alllllllright.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I don't know who Chad Wackerman is, but a drummer named Wackerman has got to be alllllllright.
    Exactly !!!
    You are not the first one to say that, FA.
    Chad has played with all types of artists and all types of styles; he is one of those prodigy-guys that, reportedly, studied a while at the North Texas' school of jazz.
    He has played with anybody from Zappa to Babs Streisand.............I mention those two because they have also remarked on the "great name for a drummer".

Seven drummers drumming? Is is that time of year already?

Word is that that they have seven drummers that they are auditioning.
    Just wondering.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    except for prog, he'd need to change his name to Wankerman
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    except for prog, he'd need to change his name to Wankerman
    LOL !
    Seven drummers drumming.........and now this..........

The clever factor just went up at this board.

Maybe DT would be good if they had 7 drummers.

FA, here's Wackerman:

Simon Phillips though, man, this guy is something else:

Forum Regular
    Troy.................that solo from SP is certified killer............amazing feel.

I found him on Wiki............he was born February, 1957........so, not as old as some might think.

Wackerman's drum kit is way to small for him to be taken seriously.

Both are excellent. Very different styles based on those videos. I must say that I enjoyed Phillips video a lot more than Wackerman's, but it could just be those specific pieces.

Forum Regular
    From MusicRadar.com................

John Myung on being named greatest bassist of all time: "This is very heavy"
    Plus, Dream Theater man on life without Portnoy

Joe Bosso, Tue 28 Sep 2010, 4:54 pm BST

More so than any other member, you're bound to be impacted by a new drummer - after all, the rhythm section is the bedrock of a group. Are you excited to play with somebody new?

"I'd say we're all impacted, because we all interact with the rhythms. So this isn't going to affect me more than anybody else, really. Creatively, the Dream Theater process has always been extremely collaborative - there's always been plenty of input from everybody - so when working with somebody new, we're going to have to look for those common ground points that we have. A new member will be influential, no doubt. Hopefully, new directions will open up. I think it can be cool."

It has been suggested that Mike may change his mind in a year or so, that he might want to rejoin. If so, would you welcome him back with open arms, or do you see this as a necessary, clean break?

"Anything is possible. But right now, the band is focused on finding a new member to get in the studio with. We want to make a great record that we're happy with and have a great next tour. That's what we do, and that's what we're looking at."

Any last words for all the fans and readers who voted for you in such huge numbers?

"I feel fortunate to have won this award. Playing bass and being a musician is an important part of who I am, and to have the people's support, it's the best. And to up-and-coming players, I'd just like to tell them to be psyched about what they're doing musically. Put in the time, be as good as you can be… and I'll be doing the same!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like they're looking for a new band member as opposed to a short term replacement. I think that's good news. It would be difficult to move forward in any positive way if they're just sitting around hoping and waiting for Mike to come to his senses. Sounds to me like Mike's out. No bridges burning, but moving on.

Thanks for posting that.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for posting that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome, FA.
    I found it interesting that it came from Myung (who never talks).

That kind of stuff is just nonsense.

From MusicRadar.com................

John Myung on being named greatest bassist of all time: "This is very heavy"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone calling a musician 'the greatest of all time' needs to get a life. There's no possible way to quantify it and it always irks me when I see something like that, especially when it's Neal Peart being called the greatest drummer. Heck, he's not even in the top 100.

Swish - in a mood
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Anyone calling a musician 'the greatest of all time' needs to get a life. There's no possible way to quantify it and it always irks me when I see something like that, especially when it's Neal Peart being called the greatest drummer. Heck, he's not even in the top 100.

Swish - in a mood

Pot -- meet kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Blah, blah, blah. Neal Peart. blah, blah.
    Oh come on. You're totally not qualified to make that comment. When was the last time you saw Peart drum?

FA - mood schmood. Bring it, gramps!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information