Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Rae
    Rae is offline
    a golden ball of light Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    894

    Meddle is a great record...

    ...and is probably my favorite Pink Floyd album. It would be easy to shoot for something more obscure (and Obscured by Clouds is also right up there) or to go the opposite direction and point to one of their huge, definitive hits like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall, but nothing can really touch this one for me. The last four songs on the first side are about the most pitch-perfect run of laid-back, blissed-out jamming that I'm personally acquainted with, and if the darker, trippier Floyd is yr thing, well, you've got "One of These Days I'm Going to Cut You Into Little Pieces" and the entirety of Side Two in "Echoes". I once heard Low cover "Fearless" in an intimate in-store performance at the legendary (and now sadly departed) Let It Be records, and it really made me appreciate the fragile beauty of the song, but even a cover as delicate and reverent as theirs can never replicate the stunning dissolve into distant soccer chants that works so surreally well here.

    You guys like this one?

    ~Rae

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    356
    me too, I love Meddle and if you love Echoes, hopefully you know of Can and their "Future Days" release as it has a 20:00-ish (side long) track that is in that very same vein...

  3. #3
    Rae
    Rae is offline
    a golden ball of light Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    me too, I love Meddle and if you love Echoes, hopefully you know of Can and their "Future Days" release as it has a 20:00-ish (side long) track that is in that very same vein...
    Ohh, I am definitely down with The Can, although I haven't gotten to Future Days yet. I'm working my way through their catalog chronologically at a pace of about one LP every six months or so.

    ~Rae

  4. #4
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Did you ever get that live cd that I offered up a number...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Ohh, I am definitely down with The Can, although I haven't gotten to Future Days yet. I'm working my way through their catalog chronologically at a pace of about one LP every six months or so.

    ~Rae
    ...of years ago? I prolly sent it out to about 10 or 15 others on the board, but I sure don't recall the recipients. I believe it was performed at Royal Albert Hall in the early 70s and recorded by a radio station, although the details elude me right now. If you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.

    G Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  5. #5
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    My favourite PF CD bounces back and forth between Meddle and WYWH, depending on my mood at the time that I'm asked the question.

    IMO, Shine On... and Welcome to the Machine are two of the best pieces of rock music ever written. But I also just love the ambience of Meddle.

    In case anyone cares, I think that The Wall is their worst CD, musically. There is some great stuff on there. And it works well as a concept album. But separate the songs and there's an awful lot of crap there IMHO.

  6. #6
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    I do like Meddle but prefer Uma Gumma.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular Ex Lion Tamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    725
    "Fearless" is my favorite Pink Floyd song...actually reminds me a little of a Wire song; "Used to" ("does the pain remain when the head is turned and the body walks away, You Used to know") - same laid back feel and similar melodies.

    Wish You Were Here is probably my favorite over all, but Meddle is definitely close behind.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    ...and is probably my favorite Pink Floyd album. It would be easy to shoot for something more obscure (and Obscured by Clouds is also right up there) or to go the opposite direction and point to one of their huge, definitive hits like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, or The Wall, but nothing can really touch this one for me. The last four songs on the first side are about the most pitch-perfect run of laid-back, blissed-out jamming that I'm personally acquainted with, and if the darker, trippier Floyd is yr thing, well, you've got "One of These Days I'm Going to Cut You Into Little Pieces" and the entirety of Side Two in "Echoes". I once heard Low cover "Fearless" in an intimate in-store performance at the legendary (and now sadly departed) Let It Be records, and it really made me appreciate the fragile beauty of the song, but even a cover as delicate and reverent as theirs can never replicate the stunning dissolve into distant soccer chants that works so surreally well here.

    You guys like this one?

    ~Rae
    Oh absolutely! I sometimes loose patience with Echoes, but those four you speak of are songs that tuned me into Pink Floyd's music way back in the early 70's and have kept them on my list of all time favorite bands.

    Ya know, I was trying to think of ways to describe PF's style while listening to the just purchased Division Bell CD over the weekend, and I think you pretty well descibed my vision of them... "darker, trippier", head music also comes to mind. When they did One of These Days live on the Pulse DVD, it just blew my mind! If you're a Pink Floyd fan and don't have this concert DVD in your collection then you just don't know what you're missing. What I wouldn't have given to have been at THAT show!

  9. #9
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    I just posted something about this the other day...

    Yes, it is a good album, and comparitively speaking, a much underappreciated album, though considering the band's 70s output, understandibly so. I tend to like Atom Heart Mother very much as well.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    356
    I did not like horns back in the 70's, especially in rock / prog bands, in fact, I hated horns (sax, etc, althought flutes were cool) still don't care to much for horns today, as I recall Atom Heart Mother had a big horn section on it and I don't think I even have the LP anymore...

  11. #11
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    althought flutes were cool
    Well hell, you couldn't like prog at all if you didn't like flutes!



  12. #12
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Well hell, you couldn't like prog at all if you didn't like flutes!


    yeah or TULL...(LOL)

  13. #13
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    freaky good call on that one Rae. I like Meddle an awful lot, although not my fave, it's in the top 2! Just last month I found a vinyl copy in reasonable shape for a couple of bucks. Have not cleaned it up yet, but I'll get around to it.

    Years ago, a guy who was around for a short while offered to burn me a MFSL copy which was awesome. Sadly, the guy didn't know much about ripping and burning CDs so there were a bunch of skips throughout. Someday I'll get a clean copy of that too.

    FWIW, Final Cut is my absolutely bestest most favoritest Pink Floyd of all time.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  14. #14
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    FWIW, Final Cut is my absolutely bestest most favoritest Pink Floyd of all time.
    Really?

    Its sounds so much like a Roger Waters album to me. It's OK, but it serves as a reminder of why Pink Floyd broke up. No way was this a band effort.

  15. #15
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    FWIW, Final Cut is my absolutely bestest most favoritest Pink Floyd of all time.

    jc
    I'm a fan of this CD too. Although I know a lot of PF fans who don't like it for the reason that 3LB mentions. But if that's how you feel then you couldn't possibly like The Wall either. Gilmour has a few song credits on that disk, but its primarily Waters baby.

    The Gunners Dream and The Fletcher Memorial Home are awesome songs.

  16. #16
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'm a fan of this CD too. Although I know a lot of PF fans who don't like it for the reason that 3LB mentions. But if that's how you feel then you couldn't possibly like The Wall either. Gilmour has a few song credits on that disk, but its primarily Waters baby.
    I used to be a fan of The Wall, but rarely listen to it anymore, and I rank it way down on the list of PF albums. I grew up on Floyd, since my older brother was a fan, there was always some PF being played. The Wall was my first sit down and listen album experience for Floyd, but as soon as I listened to DSOTM, The Wall took 2nd place, then third, then fourth, with each subsequent new album listen.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    356
    with all due respects, I was on my way out of prog when The Wall came out and never really liked it, in fact I have a US LP of it that has only been played twice, (if anyone is interested in buying it) and I picked up a used Fianl Cut years after it's release and found it to be by far the worst PF ever. I did get and liked the Division Bell somewhat...

  18. #18
    Suspended 3-LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hey! Over here!
    Posts
    2,746
    Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    with all due respects, I was on my way out of prog when The Wall came out and never really liked it, in fact I have a US LP of it that has only been played twice, (if anyone is interested in buying it) and I picked up a used Fianl Cut years after it's release and found it to be by far the worst PF ever. I did get and liked the Division Bell somewhat...
    I like both Division Bell and Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Yes, I'd prefer PF w/ Waters, but only if it sounded similar to MLoR or better. The Final Cut was just that.

  19. #19
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    I picked up a used Fianl Cut years after it's release and found it to be by far the worst PF ever....

    What? You don't like depressing music that makes you want to curl up on the floor of a dirty bathroom and cry for a week?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  20. #20
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    What? You don't like depressing music that makes you want to curl up on the floor of a dirty bathroom and cry for a week?
    Can you say... Sid Barrett?

  21. #21
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...of years ago? I prolly sent it out to about 10 or 15 others on the board, but I sure don't recall the recipients. I believe it was performed at Royal Albert Hall in the early 70s and recorded by a radio station, although the details elude me right now. If you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.

    G Swish
    Did you mean This one?

    Pink Floyd Live at the Paris Theater in London

    1. Embryo
    2. Atom Heart Mother
    3. Green Is The Color
    4. One Of These Days
    5. What If?
    6. Echos

    I owned Meddle before I owned any other PF album. Lucky for me I'm the youngest of 5 and my brothers all introduced me to the "Good Stuff".

    Seamus is a good howling track that nobody mentioned but every track on the disk is good. One of those rare disks that all tracks are good.

    Hyfi

  22. #22
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    One of those rare disks that all tracks are good.

    Hyfi
    You're right. But that was a lot easier to do when you only had 20 minutes a side.

  23. #23
    Close 'n PlayŽ user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    Echoes is a truly sublime mix of doomy art rock and classical structure. It's one of Pink Floyd's greatest moments. An excellent progrock gateway piece. I still play the crap out of it. Played at high volume, it scares the snot out the trick ot treaters on Halloween.

    I find parts of side to be a little folky for my taste, though the melody of "Fearless" is really pretty. I still have to always skip "Seamus", sorry.

  24. #24
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    What? You don't like depressing music that makes you want to curl up on the floor of a dirty bathroom and cry for a week?
    lol, well first off, I don't cry, but if I want some heavy gloom, that is what Joy Division is for...

  25. #25
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    101
    Just curious....but no one mentioned the film soundtrack More, which is completely done by PF. I always enjoyed this little jewel. It's not their best, but it's really good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •