View Poll Results: which is your more favorite band?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yo La Tengo

8 47.06%
  • Fleetwood Mac

9 52.94%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

March Music Madness: Yo La Tengo vs. Fleetwood Mac

Please vote on your more favorite band between Yo La Tengo and Fleetwood Mac.

thank you.

notes:
    Justifying your vote is not required, but....in the event of a tie, winning band will be determined by the voter who posts the best justification (explanation) as to why they like the band they voted for (or why they don't like the other band).

Polls will stay open until the elimination round ends...

Status (if you want to vote on one of the matches below, select the match #):
    elimination match 1: Yes (4) leads Jethro Tull (2 ). Sorry, this one was not set up as a poll)
    elim. match 2: The Flaming Lips (13) handily ahead of Dave Matthews Band (5)
    elim. match 3: Wilco (11) continues to hold off The White Stripes (9)
    elim. match 4: “Old school” Taking Heads (12) teaching “Kid A” Radiohead (4) a lesson
    elim. match 5: (in progress)
    elim. match 6: tba
    elim. match 7: tba
    elim. match 8: tba

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Fleetwood Mac. They're just better. From "Oh, Well" to "Hypnotized" to the entire Rumours album, they've just had more heydays than most bands could wish for.

What can I say? I'm not part of the schmoopie schmoopie club.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Gotta go with Fleetwood Mac.

I've always been disappointed with Yo La Tengo. I remember seeing them live before I had heard anything by them and really enjoyed the show. Then, when I heard the records, I was just really underwhelmed. They've always left me a bit cold since then.

I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, but when I'm in the mood, they can be a really nice listen.

Fleetwood Mac

Fleetwood Mac were huge in the 70's. From my memory of their heyday, almost everyone liked them; hardcore music fans and casual listeners alike. The band wasn't afraid to work different styles into their music, which kept them from getting stagnant.
    Somewhere along the way, they fell out of flavor with the "non-casual" music fans and even drifted into guilty pleasure territory. Not with me though, I still view them as a major force in music (during their prime anyway).

YLT; too "indy"

Meatwood Flack

Newtrix, you slay me. What a weird comparison.

How can anyone vote against absolutely killer songs like "Hypnotized" or "Green Manalishi"? Has Yo La Tengo done anything even close to that cool or memorable? Didn't think so.

Forget anything from "Rumours" and beyond. Hated 'em. But the version of FM with Peter Green and Bob Welch was severely underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Newtrix, you slay me. What a weird comparison.

How can anyone vote against absolutely killer songs like "Hypnotized" or "Green Manalishi"? Has Yo La Tengo done anything even close to that cool or memorable? Didn't think so.

Forget anything from "Rumours" and beyond. Hated 'em. But the version of FM with Peter Green and Bob Welch was severely underrated.
    complaints from some people because they can't decide, complaints from other guys 'cause it's not a good match up...to borrow a phrase from wanker-king Finch: "BITE ME!"

OK, OK, point taken, the next matchup will be better. At least I didn't go with this one (which was on my list): Stevie Wonder vs. Ray Charles

and hey, thanks for playing

42 Regular
    If you'll pardon the pun, it's Fleetwood Mac in a... (wait for it)...LANDSLIDE!

(thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal.)

I tried so hard to work a joke around "Tengo in the Night." Thank god I didn't.

BTW, Newtrix1, I'm enjoying this series a lot. Sorry for *****ing about the tough first round match-ups. Which I would have done again if you had posted the "blind guys" face-off.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

a "Landslide" on a "Monday Morning" no-less!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    If you'll pardon the pun, it's Fleetwood Mac in a... (wait for it)...LANDSLIDE!

(thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal.)

I tried so hard to work a joke around "Tengo in the Night." Thank god I didn't.

BTW, Newtrix1, I'm enjoying this series a lot. Sorry for *****ing about the tough first round match-ups. Which I would have done again if you had posted the "blind guys" face-off.
    Glad you're enjoying it, It's been fun coming up with the matches too. I wasn't sure how this thing would go over, but it seems like there's a good level of interest. There's no rhyme or reason between the band matchups, some are similar some are opposites. I guess I'm trying to get a good spread of variety so most can participate.
    Also, I'm not taking the ****ing comments personally, all in good fun, eh?

here's a few matchups that I probably won't do, but might be fun in another time and place:
    Bjork vs Beck
    Stone Roses vs. Oasis
    Nirvana vs. The Clash
    Outkast vs. Metallica
    Van Morrison vs. Bruce Springsteen

I haven't heard Yo Lo Tengo...

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    ...but I refuse to vote for Meatwood Flack.

fp (wank, wank)
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 03-08-2004 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Doing heroin with Mick Fleetwood.

next up..

Slayer vs. Bright Eyes

If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Slayer vs. Bright Eyes

He he he. Great matchup. I can't imagine there are too many fans of both, but I have to admit I am one. I want:

Gwar vs. Kylie Minogue
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Hey, what happened to the reply from Davey??

I could have sworn I read comments from Davey this AM, now they're gone . Davey, did you delete?? If so why, and where on the form is the DELETE button??

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

I'm afraid that I must abstain from this round

I can see why Fleetwood Mac appeals to so many people, but personally, they've always bored me. I don't think that I would vote for them. But I can't comfortably vote for Yo La Tengo either since I've never heard them.

FA (hoping that YLT isn't on a comp that Davey sent me and I missed it again).

P.S. Newtrix, I agree with the others. This is fun.

I like the Rumours album enough, I guess. I've listened to it all the way through about twice in my lifetime. Yo lo Sucko can beat that just within the past month.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    He he he. Great matchup. I can't imagine there are too many fans of both, but I have to admit I am one. I want:

Gwar vs. Kylie Minogue
    Well, Slayer beats Bright Eyes, considering I've never heard the latter enough to sustain my interest, but Gwar vs. Kylie is a tough one. I think she can take 'em. The both put on excellent, albeit different, live shows.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Hey, what happened to the reply from Davey?? I could have sworn I read comments from Davey this AM, now they're gone . Davey, did you delete?? If so why, and where on the form is the DELETE button??
    Yeah, I did delete a post since it didn't really say anything except to call the YLT/FM matchup silly and say that I voted for Yo La Tengo, which is redundant since everyone can see who voted for what at the top of the screen anyway. And it is a silly comparison, but I guess that was kind of the point...and it is fun

To delete, you just click the edit button below your post and then it gives you the option to delete at the top of the edit screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    FA (hoping that YLT isn't on a comp that Davey sent me and I missed it again).
    There is a cool little Yo La Tengo number called Sugarcube on my Fun In The Sun comp which I sent you last Monday and which I hope you'll be receiving sometime this year, unless the customs people determine it to be toxic. In fact, that and the Crystal Lake tune by Grandaddy were kind of the inspiration for the comp. The Sugarcube tune is only one side of YLT, but I think it does showcase much of their talent and appeal

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbi...Fun_in_the_Sun

interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Yeah, I did delete a post since it didn't really say anything except to call the YLT/FM matchup silly and say that I voted for Yo La Tengo, which is redundant since everyone can see who voted for what at the top of the screen anyway. And it is a silly comparison, but I guess that was kind of the point...and it is fun

To delete, you just click the edit button below your post and then it gives you the option to delete at the top of the edit screen.
    I do get and EDIT icon, but nowhere do I see a DELETE option. Also, I only see the total poll results, I don't see them listed by user ID, even though I slected that option when creating the poll. Oh, well, it may be time to e-mail the administrator.

I do get and EDIT icon, but nowhere do I see a DELETE option. Also, I only see the total poll results, I don't see them listed by user ID, even though I slected that option when creating the poll. Oh, well, it may be time to e-mail the administrator.

For the poll results, try clicking on the vote total (it's underlined) and it should detail all the really cool people who voted for the right band.

For the delete option, when you click "edit" for your post scroll up from the message box (where you make the changes to your post) and double check that you don't have the delete option. It's like a radio button selection process that's actually framed in a huge "Delete This Message" box so you should be able to see it.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

One out of 2 ain't bad: I can get the user poll results now, but still can't find a DELETE option. Thanks for the help.

One out of 2 ain't bad: I can get the user poll results now, but still can't find a DELETE option. Thanks for the help.
    You can't delete a thread, only a subsequent post. Maybe you were trying it on your first post? Anyway, I get the screen shown below when I click edit on my post above....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails March Music Madness: Yo La Tengo vs. Fleetwood Mac-delete.jpg  

No, I don't get that window.

You can't delete a thread, only a subsequent post. Maybe you were trying it on your first post? Anyway, I get the screen shown below when I click edit on my post above....
    Thanks for the info. Today I don't even get and edit option within my own posts (yesterday I did though). I've contacted Chris.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    There is a cool little Yo La Tengo number called Sugarcube on my Fun In The Sun comp which I sent you last Monday and which I hope you'll be receiving sometime this year, unless the customs people determine it to be toxic. In fact, that and the Crystal Lake tune by Grandaddy were kind of the inspiration for the comp. The Sugarcube tune is only one side of YLT, but I think it does showcase much of their talent and appeal
    Your Fun In The Sun Comp turned up in my mailbox today. Thanks! I gave the YLT song a spin and liked it, a nice fun tune. But I don't think that it's enough to go on to place my vote.

I'll spin the rest of the disk later and let you know my thoughts. I did like the cover art a lot. We have a room in our house that those pictures would look great in!

Forum Regular

fleetwood mac...

never even heard yo la tengo.

Dude! I gotta cry FOUL again.

Although this time I'm firmly in the Yo La Tengo camp, you're still asking us to compare bands of different eras, and it's a nearly impossible task. FM just sounds so stale to me now, although there was a time I kinda liked them, but not very much. I've never owned anything they recorded, at least that I can recall, while I have about 5 YLT cds in my case right now. Again, I gotta go with the "current" band, and a damn fine one I might add, over a band that is many years past its heyday.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Smile You guys are taking the task too hard

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Although this time I'm firmly in the Yo La Tengo camp, you're still asking us to compare bands of different eras, and it's a nearly impossible task. FM just sounds so stale to me now, although there was a time I kinda liked them, but not very much. I've never owned anything they recorded, at least that I can recall, while I have about 5 YLT cds in my case right now. Again, I gotta go with the "current" band, and a damn fine one I might add, over a band that is many years past its heyday.

Swish
    Just pick which one you'd prefer to listen to, which seems like what you ended up doing. I think you're catching on...

and I must admit, the fact that's it's such a close race, confirms that it wasn't all that bad matchup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information