Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I suspect that either my expectations have lowered, or my hearing has deteriorated to the point I can't tell the difference, or a combination of both. I should probably get rid of my equipment and get a Waveradio.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    To my ears, he so totally outruns the rest of the field that he may as well be in his own category, competing against himself, because no one else is even in the same race, let alone on the same lap.
    I've only got a couple listens so far, but I'm starting to like this one quite a bit. The guy never seems to repeat himself, so takes a while to catch up with each new record.
    Gotta commend you on this one ol' buddy, you called it right. Turning into a big favorite, just makes me feel good. I know most people don't care, but so many albums with a lot of potential for me are hampered by forgettable lyrics (or worse, so bad they aren't forgettable) these days (ie, Arcade Fire could be much better with more thoughtful lyrics), nice to hear one that delivers all around. Still wish his records sounded better.

Wovenhand, Josh Ritter, Broken Social Scene, Phosphorescent, Nina Nastasia, some good ones this year for me.

Good on ya, Davey. I need to hear that Wovenhand.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I really dig that Nina Nastasia cover. Kind of a Boris Karloff look. Let us know how it is-- You Follow Me was one of my favorites of the 00s and still one of the most re-played.

~Rae
    Yes, it reminded me of the image used on the most recent dvd cover for Mario Bava's Black Sunday with Barbara Steele. Late in his career, Boris Karloff starred as the narrarator in a Bava film called Black Sabbath. The image used for the most recent dvd cover is similar.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I watched the original 1932 version of The Mummy with Karloff just the other night.

As for new stuff, I've been diggin' the Autolux and Admiral Radley.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Hey Davey, how the heck are you? I need to ask a favour of you, but I'll send you a PM.

If there's one thing I've learned over these many years is that I am more of a music follower than music leader.

It's just not as much fun sitting around having a cold beverage and listening to a CD ten times over if you don't have someone who shares your musical taste.

So once again, my main musical influence is coming from commercial radio.

Is there at least a snowball's chance in hell that I might get a current Davey's faves comp?

Snowie

Oops, I guess that's two favours I need to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Hey Davey, how the heck are you? I need to ask a favour of you, but I'll send you a PM.

If there's one thing I've learned over these many years is that I am more of a music follower than music leader.

It's just not as much fun sitting around having a cold beverage and listening to a CD ten times over if you don't have someone who shares your musical taste.

So once again, my main musical influence is coming from commercial radio.

Is there at least a snowball's chance in hell that I might get a current Davey's faves comp?

Snowie

Oops, I guess that's two favours I need to ask!
    Wow, crawling from the wreckage (to recall a good ol' Dave Edmunds tune). Been OK, some good, some not so good. But a cold Bridgeport India Pale Ale and some good music usually makes it alright. I do have a current burn and post favorites comp available, but it isn't really too current in the music. The stuff I like is timeless, so who could complain, eh? Anyway, Buckner, Edwards, Molina, Rutili, you know the rest of the story. Let me know.

Other favour has delivered. Good to see you

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Wow, crawling from the wreckage (to recall a good ol' Dave Edmunds tune). Been OK, some good, some not so good. But a cold Bridgeport India Pale Ale and some good music usually makes it alright. I do have a current burn and post favorites comp available, but it isn't really too current in the music. The stuff I like is timeless, so who could complain, eh? Anyway, Buckner, Edwards, Molina, Rutili, you know the rest of the story. Let me know.

Other favour has delivered. Good to see you
    Yah, I've missed you too, Sugarbear.

I've already purchased some Lady Gaga as an antidote to your melancholy tunes! I guess you don't know what you got 'till it's gone.

I'll never again make any scurriulous comments about anything that arrives from Daveyland. Promise.

Thanks,

Snowbuns

Rae
    Man, that Nina Nastasia record is AWESOME. Not what I was expecting but way good. This probably won't make sense, but it sounds like a farmhouse right as a storm is starting with all the shutters and doors banging in the wind. !!

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Man, that Nina Nastasia record is AWESOME. Not what I was expecting but way good. This probably won't make sense, but it sounds like a farmhouse right as a storm is starting with all the shutters and doors banging in the wind. !!

~Rae
    Hi Rae,

Nice to see ya again!

I LOVE your description of Outlaster! Beautiful words and they completely make sense. You should be writing lyrics.

I've been listening to Outlaster on Last.fm. but haven't completely decided to purchase the album. It always seems that way with NN for me. I love a few songs but am luke warm on the rest. Which tracks hit the spot for you?

Btw, thanks for posting and not letting me feel like the board's resident threadkilla! Hehe...

Snowie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information