Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The latest from a couple of not so old favorites

Nina Nastasia Outlaster and Wovenhand The Threshingfloor. Just got them both and only have a whisper of a listen so far, much left to explore. Nina again with Steve Albini for the recording, very nice sound as always. Great acoustic sound, especially on the strings. Got the new one by Broken Social Scene awhile back, and that's been probably my favorite so far this year, along with The National's High Violet. Completely different from each other in most regards, fun to switch back and forth.

So what have you been exploring lately? I've been kind of fixated on Yo La Tengo's still charming "I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One" lately too, along with the "Devotion + Doubt" mentioned in the Buckner thread, and Laika's always fresh sounding "Sounds of the Satellites". All from 1997, hmm, wonder if that means anything? Good time. Remember those Retro comps we did way back, that was fun. I worked on one from 1997 (it was a bit of a collaboration), but just checked and, in Retrospect, it was a pretty strange mix, looks like I messed up bad by leaving off something from D+D. Hehe, there were some pretty strange mixes passing around, and I'm not just talking about the ones from my postmark.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I have High Violet and like it. Its a little more accessible than Boxer to me, though Boxer was a grower. I've listened to, but do not own, The Gaslight Anthem's American Slang, which I alluded to in another thread - kinda roots rock with a penchant for well, anthemic bar band rock, similar to The Killers minus the sythns.

I've heard that new Wovenhand and lyrically speaking, it is perhaps their strongest statement with regards to religious beliefs. No, not suggesting they've made a Christian based album, but they are rather bold. Musically speaking, its more dramatic than Ten Stone, but kinda samey.

Zeus- Say Us is a great album thats got some good run here and elsewhere. The thread is still on the front page. The Broken Bells is also a good one from early this year.

I was eyeballing that Broken Social Scene the other day, prolly shoulda pulled the trigger, but I ordered the new one from Mystery Jets instead.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Rae
    I really dig that Nina Nastasia cover. Kind of a Boris Karloff look. Let us know how it is-- You Follow Me was one of my favorites of the 00s and still one of the most re-played.

~Rae

Two Davey sightings this week. Does that mean...

I've been digging the aforementioned Devotion + Doubt and High Violet, along with the latest from Richmond Fontaine, but when I played their Post to Wire, I have to agree with Uncut; it is a masterpiece.

Also digging Transference, the latest from Spoon, and have Arcade Fire's Funeral and Neon Bible ready to go since I'm going to see them in a month or so. With Spoon opening, that should be one fine show.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

42 Regular
    Like 3LB, I've been liking that Broken Bells thing more each time I've heard it. I like this more than the Shins, I guess is I'm saying.

The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night keeps find its way onto the player. Interesting, layered sound that combines artsy indie and prog influences sort of like Arcade Fire does... except completely different. A lot of power and beauty.

I still need to pick up High Violet before I see them again in August.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Hey Dave, what'cha think of All You Need To Sleep? I knew at first it would be a grower and it has lived up to my self-fulfilling expectations. It may not quite reach the level of The Lonesome Sea, but damn, it's still pretty goddamn good!
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

...and more.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

O...and runaway record of the year:

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I really dig that Nina Nastasia cover.
    It still reminds me of this:

And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze

Man, I need to get me one of those. Anyone heard the new Phosphorescent "Here's to Taking It Easy" yet? That's another one I kinda need.

And like Slosh says, that Wayne Robbins & the Hellsayers CD is pretty nice too. Maybe a little too soft and sweet at times, but very good. Still not sure exactly how I feel about it, but I do love the rowdy endings on a couple songs. Wish they would let go like that just a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I was eyeballing that Broken Social Scene the other day, prolly shoulda pulled the trigger, but I ordered the new one from Mystery Jets instead.
    Ya know, the BSS is all over the place, from 70's disco to rambling 90's indie rock, but they still kinda pull it all together. Not the modern classic like I view "You Forgot It In People", and not for everyone, but lots of fun. No, it probably won't be album of the year for me, but it will get a lot of listens. Nice job on the producing/recording end by Tortoise’s John McEntire to bring out the colors, and especially texture in the music. Keeps it from getting all in your face like most new stuff, and keeps me coming back to hear all of the sweet little details.

Very good writeup at http://www.blurt-online.com/features/view/617/, especially in regard to the McEntire influence.
    Last edited by Davey; 06-27-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    This thread prompted me to revisit "Run to Ruin"...so that was good.

Things have been a bit "up-in-the-air" 'round these parts lately...problems with the bones and all (lol)...haven't had the time nor inclination to check out a lot of new stuff though it seems that some of my faves are putting product out. Maty have to change my habits...

As far as the Sticksean playlists, any new stuff stuff is new to only me, generally before the turn of the century, and the kind of stuff that goes over like a lead balloon in these here type threads...except of course for Finchy's crush on Etta James.

"Lush, relaxing, and reflective" have been th eorder of the day. Of the things I've been revisting aside from Nina the notables are Sparklehorse's It's a Wonderful Life, Roxy Music's Avalon, and Archer Prewitt's White Sky.

Peace
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I like the variety on the BSS disc. Every time it rolls around to the instrumental I could swear they stuck a Transiberian Orchestra track in there. Need to check out Wovenhand still. Ten Stones left me utterly uninspired as a whole but if this one has the Davey seal of approval I'll have to make sure I have a copy soon.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I like the variety on the BSS disc. Every time it rolls around to the instrumental I could swear they stuck a Transiberian Orchestra track in there. Need to check out Wovenhand still. Ten Stones left me utterly uninspired as a whole but if this one has the Davey seal of approval I'll have to make sure I have a copy soon.

jc
    Hey Jimbo!

The new Wovenhand didn't have my SOE at the time I posted this, but it does now. I know what you mean about 10 Stones, it seemed to be a collection of 10 songs that just didn't come together as a whole, but this one is fantastic. Very dark and well integrated with a nice mix of the southern Gothic and European folk sound, got a more cohesive feel. He's back recording with Ferbrache in Colorado, and it sounds good. Lots of vocal processing at times, so not always obvious, but it isn't compressed to death like most stuff so does have a little breathing room for dynamics (at least in the modern context). Ordy Garrison on drums and 16Hp buddy Pascal Humbert on bass. Great cover of New Order's "Truth" in the second half kinda makes up for the oddly placed Jobim bossa nova cover on the last one (though taken on its own, I liked the cover). This time, the New Order cover is preceded (fittingly) by one of the more dark and goth sounding songs, big swirls of guitar feedback and Native American chanting behind the vocals, pretty cool. And followed by a rousing rhythmic workout led by a Hungarian shepherd's flute (according to the credits - not sure what make it Hungarian or for shepherds).

Anyway, don't miss it... http://www.blurt-online.com/news/view/3846/

Naturally it's not available for sale anywhere near me so it'll have to be an order but it's coming. Thanks for the nice write up, it's obvious that you haven't lost your touch.

I just found out that Wovenhand recently opened up at the Sprint Center in Kansas City for Tool. I'd have bought tickets if I'd known that! I'd have left after their set but I definitely would have gone. Seems like a bit of an odd marriage there so I doubt I'm the only one who missed out.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I just found out that Wovenhand recently opened up at the Sprint Center in Kansas City for Tool.
    Yea, I saw they were touring with Tool, does seem kind of an odd match at first thought. Good exposure, and I bet a lot of Tool fans would probably jump all over Woven Hand, and 16HP too, especially if they unleash all the passion and fury the are known to sometimes bring to concert.

If nothing else, people should at least hear the title track, one of the best and most unusual things he has done. Really sounds like no one else I can think of. Like a band of possessed gypsies, frenetic drumming, Edwards speaking in tongues, like he can no longer contain himself. Only lasts for 3 minutes, then gone.

BTW, here's the Truth cover from Wovenhand, def leans toward the Joy Division side ... also bonus of some new fluffy (and I do like fluffy) Blonde Redhead.

http://rocksdemilo.files.wordpress.c..._the_truth.mp3

http://rocksdemilo.files.wordpress.c...ting-there.mp3

The new Alejandro Escovedo release, Street Songs Of Love, is muy bueno, if anyone here is a fan. Or even if no one here is a fan, for that matter.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

I was disappointed in this one. It doesn't hold the same charm, IMO, of his previous releases. I need to listen to it again to really pinpoint what it was that I didn't like about it. But it was a little too polished and produced for my taste IIRC, and the song writing just wasn't very good. All just my own opinion, of course.

I gave it a half dozen spins to see if it would grow on me and then filed it away when it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I was disappointed in this one. It doesn't hold the same charm, IMO, of his previous releases. I need to listen to it again to really pinpoint what it was that I didn't like about it. But it was a little too polished and produced for my taste IIRC, and the song writing just wasn't very good. All just my own opinion, of course.

I gave it a half dozen spins to see if it would grow on me and then filed it away when it didn't.
    Oy. Are you sure someone didn't stuff a Rush CD in that digipack when you weren't looking?

But seriously, with each new release, I think he's topped out, and then he completely proves me wrong with the next one. Here, he takes the dark edges that have always been around his songs, and pushes them to the front of the stage, most notably in "The Curse"- the video, created by his drummer, found here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127133774

To my ears, he so totally outruns the rest of the field that he may as well be in his own category, competing against himself, because no one else is even in the same race, let alone on the same lap.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I have a 45 minute drive (each way) to meet a friend for lunch today. I'm planning on playing this again on the drive...maybe I need to give it another chance. I'll let you know if I change my mind.

To my ears, he so totally outruns the rest of the field that he may as well be in his own category, competing against himself, because no one else is even in the same race, let alone on the same lap.
    I've only got a couple listens so far, but I'm starting to like this one quite a bit. The guy never seems to repeat himself, so takes a while to catch up with each new record. My download is mastered way too loud with lots of distortion, so doesn't sound very good, kind of like the last one. Do you have the CD or vinyl? Does it sound OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I've only got a couple listens so far, but I'm starting to like this one quite a bit. The guy never seems to repeat himself, so takes a while to catch up with each new record. My download is mastered way too loud with lots of distortion, so doesn't sound very good, kind of like the last one. Do you have the CD or vinyl? Does it sound OK?
    I have a 320 d/l'ed rip that's a little dodgy, and the cd, which might be a bit hot, but not objectionably so, at least to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    My download is mastered way too loud with lots of distortion, so doesn't sound very good, kind of like the last one.
    What you have sounds exactly like the CD. Don't have the vinyl but I doubt it's much better. Don't think they'd use different masters.

It still amazes me that most artists don't seem to care what their albums sound like.

I recently put together a little one-hit wonder type comp where nearly all the songs were from the 70s or early 80s and virtually every track was better recorded than most new albums. Recording technology is better (and cheaper) than ever yet very few take advantage of it.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I have a 320 d/l'ed rip that's a little dodgy, and the cd, which might be a bit hot, but not objectionably so, at least to my ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    What you have sounds exactly like the CD.
    Thanks, that's kinda what I suspected. You barely have to turn the volume knob and it's already loud. Shame that some artists and engineers can't get out of this rut and start making CDs sound more musical and natural again (especially the indies). That latest Wovenhand isn't too bad loudness-wise, and the new Broken Social Scene is surprisingly good as well (though with John McEntire producing, I would've been surprised if it didn't have pretty decent sound). But the huge majority sounds like crap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information