Judas Priest/Queensryche concert review (by me)

I saw Judas Priest and Queensryche last night on the first date of their summer tour in Cleveland. This was the first time I'd seen either band.

Queensryche did quite a few older numbers, even going back to the first ep ("Queen of the Reich/Night Rider"), a few from WARNING ("En-force","Take Hold of the Flame" and "NM156"), a few from RAGE FOR ORDER ("The Whisper," "Neue Regal," and "Screaming In Digital") and one each from MINDCRIME and EMPIRE (though, not "Jet City Woman" or "Silent Lucidity" interestingly).. Also they did a few newer songs that I didn't know. It was a nice set overall.. Goeff's voice seemed pretty good, but not great, he had some canned backing vocals so it sounded like he was singing with himself at times. The sound was a nice, but the drums were muddy, but they always sound muddy at Blossom.

Priest came out, as predicted, with "The Hellion/Electric Eye" then into "Metal Gods" then back to "Riding On the Wind" .. nice opening to a decent set, but not outstanding. The good thing was, I was back on the lawn so you can't really tell that they're a bunch of older dudes. There were times I could almost imagine it was 1984 instead of 2005. But, there were all these new songs they played. Now, I'm not against a band pushing new material, but at this point in the game, they've got to know that the new album is NOT why people are there to see the band. Iron Maiden knew it, they played ONE song off the new album on their last tour.. It's not like it was back in 1984, when EVERYONE knew EVERY WORD to the new album because they all bought it the day it came out. So you *wanted* to hear the new stuff. I don't think a lot of people wanted to hear the new stuff last night. Plus there were other odd choices.. "I'm a Rocker" and "Turbo Lover" ?? Why on earth did they played those when they could have been playing "Desert Plains" and "Jawbreaker" ?? Not one song off DEFENDERS. To their credit they did great versions of "Beyond the Realms of Death," "Exciter" and "Victim of Changes" and a cool "unplugged" version of "Diamonds and Rust".. the individual playing was great, awesome solos, but the overall sound was a little congested.. Of course, they closed with "Living after Midnight" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" with the whole sing-along thing. Very predictable. Rob is in great voice, but, I don't know, he looked a little bored. Hopefully his voice will hold up, but you could tell there were times he was holding back, though he did hit the big screams when he needed to. The guy probably has a lot of singing to do this summer. The mix was muddy, as it was with Queensryche.. couldn't really avoid that. I was not paying $35+ to sit in the pavillion to get a little better sound.

Overall, I'm glad I went, but wasn't blown away. Of course, I'm 35 and not 15.. that probably made a big difference.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Thanks for the review Jar. My husband and I have been discussing whether to take in this show this summer. I think that you just helped make the decision. I think we'll pass and wait for something better to come along.

Forum Regular
    Nice to see Ryche doing some tunes other than Jet City Woman and Silent Lucidity. Also glad to hear that they did Take Hold of The Flame, one of my faves by them. The new stuff is from the upcoming Operation Mindcrime II album.

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I saw Judas Priest and Queensryche last night on the first date of their summer tour in Cleveland. This was the first time I'd seen either band.

Queensryche did quite a few older numbers, even going back to the first ep ("Queen of the Reich/Night Rider"), a few from WARNING ("En-force","Take Hold of the Flame" and "NM156"), a few from RAGE FOR ORDER ("The Whisper," "Neue Regal," and "Screaming In Digital") and one each from MINDCRIME and EMPIRE (though, not "Jet City Woman" or "Silent Lucidity" interestingly).. Also they did a few newer songs that I didn't know. It was a nice set overall.. Goeff's voice seemed pretty good, but not great, he had some canned backing vocals so it sounded like he was singing with himself at times. The sound was a nice, but the drums were muddy, but they always sound muddy at Blossom.

Priest came out, as predicted, with "The Hellion/Electric Eye" then into "Metal Gods" then back to "Riding On the Wind" .. nice opening to a decent set, but not outstanding. The good thing was, I was back on the lawn so you can't really tell that they're a bunch of older dudes. There were times I could almost imagine it was 1984 instead of 2005. But, there were all these new songs they played. Now, I'm not against a band pushing new material, but at this point in the game, they've got to know that the new album is NOT why people are there to see the band. Iron Maiden knew it, they played ONE song off the new album on their last tour.. It's not like it was back in 1984, when EVERYONE knew EVERY WORD to the new album because they all bought it the day it came out. So you *wanted* to hear the new stuff. I don't think a lot of people wanted to hear the new stuff last night. Plus there were other odd choices.. "I'm a Rocker" and "Turbo Lover" ?? Why on earth did they played those when they could have been playing "Desert Plains" and "Jawbreaker" ?? Not one song off DEFENDERS. To their credit they did great versions of "Beyond the Realms of Death," "Exciter" and "Victim of Changes" and a cool "unplugged" version of "Diamonds and Rust".. the individual playing was great, awesome solos, but the overall sound was a little congested.. Of course, they closed with "Living after Midnight" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" with the whole sing-along thing. Very predictable. Rob is in great voice, but, I don't know, he looked a little bored. Hopefully his voice will hold up, but you could tell there were times he was holding back, though he did hit the big screams when he needed to. The guy probably has a lot of singing to do this summer. The mix was muddy, as it was with Queensryche.. couldn't really avoid that. I was not paying $35+ to sit in the pavillion to get a little better sound.

Overall, I'm glad I went, but wasn't blown away. Of course, I'm 35 and not 15.. that probably made a big difference.

-jar

Seen Queensryche Twice

I wasn't blown away either time, but I really enjoyed the shows. The first time I saw them they were the headliners on the Promised Land tour. The second time, which was two years ago, they opened for Dream Theater.

Tate's solo album is really good. Much better than their last few albums.

Forum Regular
    I'm considering catching this show when it arrives in Dallas this Summer at an outdoor ampitheater (despite the heat of hell).

However, my wife purchased for me the DVD of a Ryche concert and frankly, it is not so great.

So -- maybe NOT.

Forum Regular

What dvd is it?

If it is "Art of Live", please ignore and go see them, they put on a great show. I just saw them a few months ago in a small club when they did the entire Mindcrime album, it was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    I'm considering catching this show when it arrives in Dallas this Summer at an outdoor ampitheater (despite the heat of hell).

However, my wife purchased for me the DVD of a Ryche concert and frankly, it is not so great.

So -- maybe NOT.

Worst DVD Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    If it is "Art of Live", please ignore and go see them, they put on a great show. I just saw them a few months ago in a small club when they did the entire Mindcrime album, it was excellent.
    I haven't seen The Art Of Live DVD, but based on reviews I read, it may be the worst music DVD ever made. I recall that it looked like a home movie done in black and white.

Thread Information