Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It's Tuesday, so what are you listening to lately?

I admittedly haven't been listening too much of late, but I got my hands on some new stuff and dusted off some older material and am committed to listening more in the coming weeks.
    Here's my list:

British Sea Power - Open Season
    Shelby Lynn - Suit Yourself
    Ducks Deluxe - Taxi to the Terminal Zone
    Over the Rhine - Good Dog Bad Dog
    The Church - el momento descuidado
    Hypnolovewheel - Angel Food
    The Long Ryders - Native Sons
    Bobby Darin - Live at the Desert Inn
    Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses
    The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
    13 & God - Alien Transistor
    Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
    Arcade Fire - Funeral

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
    This album is addicting. Great, often new-wavish, poppy hooks through most of this album just keep me coming back for more. I love the percussion and synth that they sprinkle throughout the album.

Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy

Shrimp Boat - Speckly

Johnny Cash - Bitter Tears

Marah - 20,000 Streets Under the Sky

Tim Hardin - 3: Live

The Oranges Band - The World & Everything In It
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

A Perfect Circle - THIRTEENTH STEP (got about halfway through it, waiting on something to reach out and grab me, but so far, just a lot of pretty colours, though there was one track, can recall, that had some really nice Cure-like guitarwork)

Modest Mouse - BUILD SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING (like this a lot, I think I like this stuff better than MOON & ANTARCTICA, it's much more relaxed and easy)

Muse - ABSOLUTION (I had heard most of this before, but finally picked it up, and it's pretty much what I expected and enjoy, big dramatic, almost orchestral rock with lots of changes in tempo, mood and dynamics.. a great cd all around. They're a very cohesive unit, it would be easy for music like this to be really bogged down because the sound is so big, but they also move gracefully and quick like a ballet dancer, or something.. it was cool seeing them on Live 8 too)

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Forum Regular
    Steel Pulse, Island Anthology. A 2 CD remastered collection made up of tracks culled from their first 3 albums. Hugely underated reggae band from the early 80’s.

Gorillaz, Demon Days

Black Uhuru, Collection. A solid compilation really brings out the sound of Sly Dunbar and co

British Sea Power, Open Season. One of my faves this year so far

Kraftwerk, Minimum Maximum. I usually don’t care for live albums but this has obviously been tweaked (yer right Dusty) in the studio.

Guster, Goldfly. They remind me of Crowded House roundabout the Woodface album with simple harmonies and catchy tunes.

Foofighters, In Your Honour. I prefer the softer acoustic CD, but it’s a nice idea one hard one soft CD.

Coldplay, X&Y

Iron and Wine, Our Endless Days. Now I’m not a lyric man but these songs really connect with me

Magic Numbers, Magic Numbers. Woah back to the 70’s big time

Comps
    The Pixies, Thin Lizzy, John Martyn and The Clash

Cheers
    Mike

A light week.

King Crimson- Power to Believe.
    Isildurs Bane- Mind Volume 1
    Roland Orzabal- Tomcats Screaming
    Ines- Hunting the Fox
    Platypus- Ice Cycles
    Jason Falkner- Can You Still Feel?

Doing a lot of my own stuff too:
    http://www.macjams.com/song/song_profile.php?lid=11467

Forum Regular

dont let me down Jar..

Thirteenth Step is an awesome disc!!!!
    "Pet" might just be the tune that reaches out and grabs you by the....

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    A Perfect Circle - THIRTEENTH STEP (got about halfway through it, waiting on something to reach out and grab me, but so far, just a lot of pretty colours, though there was one track, can recall, that had some really nice Cure-like guitarwork)

Modest Mouse - BUILD SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING (like this a lot, I think I like this stuff better than MOON & ANTARCTICA, it's much more relaxed and easy)

Muse - ABSOLUTION (I had heard most of this before, but finally picked it up, and it's pretty much what I expected and enjoy, big dramatic, almost orchestral rock with lots of changes in tempo, mood and dynamics.. a great cd all around. They're a very cohesive unit, it would be easy for music like this to be really bogged down because the sound is so big, but they also move gracefully and quick like a ballet dancer, or something.. it was cool seeing them on Live 8 too)

-jar

Spent last week on vaca at a local beach

house full of people ranging from toddlers to 50 somethings. I picked a bunch of titles that might appeal to the masses:

Green Day - American Idiot
    Amos Lee - s/t
    Sony Music 100 Years - Soundtrack For a Century (4 disc set)
    Ink Spots - Greatest Hits
    The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits
    Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
    The Ocean Blue - Cerulean
    Steely Dan - Aja & Gaucho
    Sting - Nothing Like the Sun
    Steve Winwood - Arc of a Diver

this-n-that

Bad luck on the equiment front- my new Cary 303/200 CD player, recently purchased, broke down, getting a refund for it, then my MF X10D tube buffer dropped a channel . But played some disc's on a patched together rig anyway:

Wobbler 'Hinterland' - been listening to this daily for two weeks, getting better with every listen, hints of Anglagard, Genesis, King Crimson detected. Verry good.
    England 'Garden Shed' - supposed to be like a lost Genesis classic. The first two songs are misleadingly bad, songs 3-end are real good in that early Genesis style.
    Gordian Knot 'Emergent' -took a long time to warm up to this, some good riffing here.
    Tom Petty 'Echos'
    Tempus Fugit 'tales from the forgotten world' -symphonic goodness.
    Klaus Shulze 'Timewind'
    Amon Duul 'Wolf City'
    Eloy 'Ocean'
    Gentle Giant 'Power and the Glory' 35th anniversary reissue. Good but not their best stuff.

Forum Regular

different

I just got a new car -- it has the XM radio capability and the first 3 months are free -- after that, they try to sell you a subscription.
    Thus, I've been listening to nothing else in the car -- not sure that I will opt for the subscription, but as long as I have it for free, I'm listening.

C-Z
    Forum Regular
    Troy - Can you describe the Orzabal album? Isuldur's Bane worth getting? Never seen anything by IB in a store.

Not much playing the last week. Did break out and set up a turntable for the first time in a long while, so playing a few vinyl oldies.

King Crimson - ... Court ...
    Skywalk - Silent Witness
    Charlie - various
    Snail
    Dead can Dance
    Montrose
    Edgar Winter - They Only Come Out At Night
    some more probably

I need some new tunes. Desperately.

C-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I admittedly haven't been listening too much of late, but I got my hands on some new stuff and dusted off some older material and am committed to listening more in the coming weeks.
    Here's my list:

British Sea Power - Open Season
    Shelby Lynn - Suit Yourself
    Ducks Deluxe - Taxi to the Terminal Zone
    Over the Rhine - Good Dog Bad Dog
    The Church - el momento descuidado
    Hypnolovewheel - Angel Food
    The Long Ryders - Native Sons
    Bobby Darin - Live at the Desert Inn
    Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses
    The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
    13 & God - Alien Transistor
    Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
    Arcade Fire - Funeral

Swish Baby
    Swish:

How is the new Ryan Adams? I love Gold, but have not been thrilled with his more recent stuff. Also, what is British Sea Power like? I see them mentioned a lot around here. Thanks!

Olivertmc

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Guster, Goldfly. They remind me of Crowded House roundabout the Woodface album with simple harmonies and catchy tunes.
    That sounds very interesting. IMHO Woodface is Crowded House's best. So I checked out their web site and not only was the music very good, but they appear to have a great sense of humour....

Q: Are you guys a Christian band?

A:Rather than answer this one with a simple yes/no, we suggest you check the following sources for clues: 1) Brian's last name -- "Rosenworcel." 2) Any photo of Ryan where you can see his profile. 3) The Guster Backstage Contract Rider, where we stipify that "the dressing room must be furnished with plenty of borscht, noodle kugels, potato latkes, gefilte fish and homemade rugulah for dessert."

Goldfly is a little pricey, but I put Keep It Together on my wishlist.

Mike, I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the new Cold Play? I picked up The Kaiser Chiefs on the weekend based on your many raves about this band. After two spins, I'm really liking this disk a lot. Great stuff!

Forum Regular

Guster, Coldplay and the Kaiserchiefs

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Mike, I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the new Cold Play? I picked up The Kaiser Chiefs on the weekend based on your many raves about this band. After two spins, I'm really liking this disk a lot. Great stuff!
    Hey FA glad you like the Kaiserchiefs I rate them highly with new all the new bands on the scene, plus they hail from Leeds which is pretty local to me.

As for Coldplay I really like the latest album but then I liked the previous album too which had a mixed reception. It's very U2 sounding in places and more commercial than their first which had a very Radiohead sound. There is a bit of a Coldplay backlash going on at the moment not helped by Chris Martyn shooting his mouth off saying they will be or are already the best band in the world. They are not and never will be IMO, but saying that it will probably feature in my top ten of the year somewhere.

And glad you've looked into Guster, if you like straight ahead well produced harmony pop I haven't found a better band, I've got three of their albums and they are all good. I love the Crowded House Woodface acoustic sound and that was my way into Guster, if you want to try a bit and fancy a trade pm me. Thinking about it I've got another comp of recent mainly British indie pop bands if you want to try some more like the Kaiserchiefs.

Cheers
    Mike

Guster

Dude at work turned me on to Guster a few years back. He and I were talking about them recently and we concurred that "Lost and Gone Forever" was our favorite album. We both felt that it's their most consistant and accessible album. Do you agree Mike?

Forum Regular

Guster

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Dude at work turned me on to Guster a few years back. He and I were talking about them recently and we concurred that "Lost and Gone Forever" was our favorite album. We both felt that it's their most consistant and accessible album. Do you agree Mike?
    To be honest Rick I like all of their albums equally, but maybe yer right it has the edge. I saw a DVD of theirs 'On Ice Live From Portland' the other day which I nearly bought but opted for something else instead. I read somewhere they use their hands no stick for the drum sounds which is unusual.

Cheers
    Mike

The new Ryan Adams is much like the old....

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    Swish:

How is the new Ryan Adams? I love Gold, but have not been thrilled with his more recent stuff. Also, what is British Sea Power like? I see them mentioned a lot around here. Thanks!

Olivertmc
    Ryan Adams. It's a two disc offering with pretty much basic pop/rock that very accessible, making it just an ok purchase for me. I've only listened to it once and wasn't especially impressed, although I found nothing off-putting, I didn't find anything all that interesting either.

As for BSP, I like this new one much better than the first one, and I hope they stay in this direction. Very nice Brit-pop/rock covering a number of styles. Highly recommended!

Sorry I didn't take more time, but I gotta run to Atlantic City and don't have much time to
    type!

Regards,
    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    As for BSP, I like this new one much better than the first one, and I hope they stay in this direction. Very nice Brit-pop/rock covering a number of styles. Highly recommended!

Swish
    I'll second the BSP it's a good un' they seem to have polarised opinions on this one as it's a bit of a departure from their debut but it's thumbs up from me. It's easy on the ear Britpop/punk rock at its finest.

I've not heard the Ryan Adams yet but it's on my hitlist so I'll probably pick it up soon, It's a double CD as Swish says but no doubt I'll be cherry picking a few tracks from it for a comp. That guy (Adams that is not Swish) could sing the telephone directory and it would sound good.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    The Ocean Blue - Cerulean
    I love this album. I recently found an unopened copy of Davy Jones' Locker in a used bin, and picked it up. It's surprisingly good, but the first two albums still stand head and shoulders above the rest as far as I'm concerned.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular

Wink Ocean Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I love this album
    Sounds like another for the wishlist after just listening to some samples, I'll check out some used sites

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by C-Z
    Troy - Can you describe the Orzabal album? Isuldur's Bane worth getting? Never seen anything by IB in a store.

I need some new tunes. Desperately.

C-Z
    The Orzabal sounds like "Element" era Tears for Fears. Rich, dense and more rocking than most T4F.

I've never seen Isildurs Bane in a store either. I have 2 discs and they are CDrs shipped to me years ago. They are a hybrid mix of rock sensability and classical orchestration. Very arty-farty, very Swedish Progrock. Not a daily player, but when the mood strikes, it's a great play.

Arena - Contagion
    Spock's Beard - The Light
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Lightbulb Sun
    311 - Grassroots
    Atmosphere - Lucy Ford
    Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

And believe it or not, i've been spinning Danny Elfman's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" lately...don't ask why....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    To be honest Rick I like all of their albums equally, but maybe yer right it has the edge. I saw a DVD of theirs 'On Ice Live From Portland' the other day which I nearly bought but opted for something else instead. I read somewhere they use their hands no stick for the drum sounds which is unusual.

Cheers
    Mike
    I have that DVD, and yes, the drummer plays quite often sans stix. He must load up on asprin before & after performing 'cause that's gotta hurt!

Check you PM Mike.

What's this? WHAT'S THIS?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrim05
    And believe it or not, i've been spinning Danny Elfman's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" lately...don't ask why....
    I LOVE that soundtrack and the movie too, of course. It wouldn't have been the same movie without Elfman's quirky music.

A day late and a dollar short...big shock, huh?

Anyway, mostly older stuff lately with a few exceptions.

My version of classic rock with some Ventures, both their first Walk Don't Run and their second, self-titled one. Kept the instrumental vide going with some Duane Eddy both Have Twangy Guitar Will Travel and Especially for You. Also played some Jerry Lee Lewis from his time at Smash records, including Golden Hits, where he redoes his biggest hits and also covers some Hank Williams stuff, and Brings back the Rock, where the covers this time are Chuck Berry tunes, along with a few new for the time originals tossed in as well. Also listened to some old Soul/R&B/Blues/Whatever. Frankie Lymon, Nat King Cole, The Platters, Howlin' Wolf

Before that, went through a bunch of 80s stuff, including Style Council My Everchanging Moods, which I find frustrating as all their stuff with great songs mixed in with absolute crap. They do well with poppier stuff and mellow stuff, but when he tries to get funky, it's just sad and Weller's psuedo rap attempt just hurts. Also listened to a bunch of English Beat, burning all the albums to disc for someone, along with the first Madness LP. Tossed on The Clash Sandinista, which is always a great listen. Anyone else remember The Untouchables? They were an interesting take on the 2-tone thing outta California, but with a more direct Caribbean vibe, including influences outside Jamaica as well. Played them a bit, along with an old EP from UB40 with a funny song about pot that I hadn't heard forever.

Finally got to hear some newer stuff thanks to JC. The Nationals Aligator on first listen is fantastic, one of my favorites of the 80s retro things. Sounds like the retro mach is heading more into the mid, verging on late 80s now. I liked the new British Sea Power a whole lot too. My favorites song of their is still Remember Me, but overall I like this album better than the debut. I only got in a quick listen so far to the Shout Out Louds, but was digging it. I need to hear more before I say much. And, I can see how Jim's getting addicted to those soundboard recordings. He hooked me up with one from the Raveonettes, and it is really a fun listen. I've been playing it in the car, so I'm still curious to hear it on my regular stereo, but it sounds like the sound quality is very high, although it has an oddly disconnected vibe. Still something I wanna hear more of. Jim...did you get that off line or did someone send you that? If it?s from online, could ya post the site again? I may end up hooked on these things too.

OK...that's plenty for now.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I only got in a quick listen so far to the Shout Out Louds, but was digging it. I need to hear more before I say much.
    Please keep me posted on The Shout Out Louds. This is a band that I'm very curious about. They're playing a show here with The Redwalls opening for them. Sounds like a good match-up and a show that might be worth seeing. But's it's probably on a Wednesday night and won't start until 10:00. I guess the working crowd isn't the target market for these sorts of things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information