Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

If you could take one song...

...and obliterate it from the planet, what song would it be.

I think that mine would have to be Mambo #5. Gawd, I just can't express my hatred for that song. We were at my Hubby's company Christmas party on Saturday night and the DJ played that song. All I could think about was how much I hated it. Actually, the DJ just generally sucked. But I should have known right from the beginning, when he started off with that song, that he would.

I love Perez Prado's Mambo #5. I think there are a few different versions of it. My father played that kind of music in the Catskills in the 1940s & 50s. I'm not a big fan, but I always liked that tune. I think I still have a vinyl copy of a Prado rec that has the original version on it. I know you're probably talking about the more recent Louie Vega cover, but the original is a fantastic party dance song. I think I had it on one of the cassettes I rolled at my wedding.

10 or 15 or 20 years ago I'd have answered this very good question with 5 or so of the usual suspects, the songs I just can't bear to hear anymore: Hotel California (although the Moog Cookbook version is excellent), Stairway To Heaven (although the Dread Zeppelin version is quite good), Freebird, etc. etc. At this point I'd probably add at least 250 to those titles, for the same reasons. If anyone doesn't understand why I feel this way, I'd be happy to explain it to you. And list some of those songs, though I'd think most would understand what I'm getting at.

But there might just be one that towers above those, above the classic rock staples, power ballads, Mariah Carey vocal gymnastics competitions, and that would be that song about being a hero from some movie. I think it's by Bette Midler? Wind Beneath My Wings, that's it, I think. I wouldn't play that to torture a murderer.

I don't like others.

My standard answer, doesn't change- Crocodile Rock
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    My standard answer, doesn't change- Crocodile Rock
    Hehehe. I could name a bunch of those early Elton John songs that I probably loved back in the day. God, like nails on the chalkboard nowadays. Same with Queen and Paul McCartney and a ton of others.

I always cringe when I hear a big group of celebrities showing how much they care for all the grief stricken masses of the world by swaying and singing to a snorefest show closer of Hey Jude for the 10 millionth time. But that's just me

Not sure of the name, but it's a rap song. Why not just strike them all from history?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

"Mambo #5" is a classic.

And I'd much rather strike "Daniel" than "Crocodile Rock."

"Wind Beneath my Wings" . . . yeah, good call. I understand that hospitals use it to induce vomiting.

I think I'd go with "Who Let the Dogs Out" or that song that they used in Shrek.

>Not sure of the name, but it's a rap song. Why not just strike them all from history?

My exact feelings on Rush...

I don't like others.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I didn't know that Mambo #5 was a cover! I truly hate the recent version. But I'd be interested in hearing the original.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    >Not sure of the name, but it's a rap song. Why not just strike them all from history?

My exact feelings on Rush...
    To each his own.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    And I'd much rather strike "Daniel" than "Crocodile Rock.".
    I like "Daniel" for some reason. I find myself singing it in my head from time to time.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with something like "L.A. Woman." "Hotel California" is always going to be toward the top for me, as is most of Clapton's catalog.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I'll probably think of something else later on, but...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    this was the first thing that popped into my head: Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo by Rick Derringer?. This song always grated on my nerves, I retain the right to add another song though.

That horrid Usher song that I couldn't get away from. You know the one. Blech!
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I can think of a bunch

There is a commercial on late night TV hosted by Barry Williams (aka Greg Brady) that is prolly the most comprehensive collection of crap I'd like to obliterate from the face of the planet.

But if I must pick one, it'd be Seasons In The Sun. They guy who wrote and performed that should have been beaten unmercifully.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    But if I must pick one, it'd be Seasons In The Sun. They guy who wrote and performed that should have been beaten unmercifully.
    It was written by Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen, and I know the hate on that record as recorded by Terry Jacks. My first experience hearing it was the Pearls Before Swine's version, which I can still listen to after being trashed by the Jacks thing.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    None. Just because I don't enjoy it, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. I've been pretty good about avoiding the crap -- just quit listening to the radio, going out to malls, visiting other peoples' houses...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

one man's trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Seasons in the Sun has always been a guilty pleasure of mine

Forum Regular

lol

Macarena !

Fukk !

Barf !

Forum Regular

There are tons

but one that comes to mind is Achy Breaky Fart

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

I think that mine would have to be Mambo #5. Gawd, I just can't express my hatred for that song. We were at my Hubby's company Christmas party on Saturday night and the DJ played that song. All I could think about was how much I hated it. Actually, the DJ just generally sucked. But I should have known right from the beginning, when he started off with that song, that he would.

Forum Regular
    I would have to say anything related to RAP, as you know RAP is short for CRAP....

Speaking of "We Are the World"...

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hehehe. I could name a bunch of those early Elton John songs that I probably loved back in the day. God, like nails on the chalkboard nowadays. Same with Queen and Paul McCartney and a ton of others.

I always cringe when I hear a big group of celebrities showing how much they care for all the grief stricken masses of the world by swaying and singing to a snorefest show closer of Hey Jude for the 10 millionth time. But that's just me
    that ridiculous POS concocted by MJ, did you see some recent comments by a couple of the musicians involved in that deal? I can't remember which one said it, but the quote was something like "None of us really liked the song. It reminded us of a commercial for Coca-Cola".

Fun stuff.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

42 Regular
    How did this thread get this far without a mention of Air Supply?

I'm all out of love
    I'm so lost without you...

Still the standard by which all suck is judged. Oh, and I like "Daniel". And Rush. And I don't really mind that Mambo #5.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Suspended
    Too many to choose from but,

I could never stand Clouds in Your Coffee.
    "You're so vain, you probably think the song is about you" well duuuhhhh it is!

But the one song of the last 20 years that makes my skin crawl and then you can never get it out of your head is the main song from Bodygaurd....I Will Always Love You. Alfalfa crooned better than that! Whitey Houston Sucks. Obviously she is doing too many of the wrong drugs. By the way, I have never seen that movie for the same reason.....that and Kevin "Stare at me for three hours" Costner.

Cheers all,
    just brought home a Micro/Belgian beer sampler some guys at work put together. They purchased 48 cases and made 2 sets of mixed...24 different bottles in each.

First out of the box was Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Awsome if you like Hops!

Hyfi

Having only one choice is so cruel...

...because there are so many dreadful PsOS that I could name. Almost anything from Air Supply, but someone got that. How about "The Sign" or whatever from one of the most dreadful bands, and I use the "band" word loosely, to ever disgrace the earth, Ace of Base. WTF?

There are just too many others that are deserving. Say, I started a thread, at least I think I started it, about that special on VH1 about the top 100 most horrible songs ever, and their top choice was "We Built This City" by J. Starship. Nice choice, but there are so many others competing for top billing; anything by Lionel Ritchie (Dancing on the Ceiling? Holy crap!), Meatloaf (I Would Do Anything For Love), but I heard some really, really awful faux hip-hop rap sorta garbage that was so freaking bad that I don't know why a radio station would play it. There were male and female vocals and the worst lyrics I've ever heard. Something about her shaking her butt on the dance floor and making him spend money on her and making him "work for it". I am seriously trying to forget it, but it was, in a word, pathetic.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...but I heard some really, really awful faux hip-hop rap sorta garbage that was so freaking bad that I don't know why a radio station would play it. There were male and female vocals and the worst lyrics I've ever heard. Something about her shaking her butt on the dance floor and making him spend money on her and making him "work for it". I am seriously trying to forget it, but it was, in a word, pathetic.

Swish
    Hehehe, sounds like the latest big hit for the Black Eyed Peas. Called "Humps". Involves Fergie sticking out her ass a lot and and "singing" about her humps. Pretty lame song.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I like "Daniel" for some reason.
    I was starting to like you for a minute there...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with something like "L.A. Woman." "Hotel California" is always going to be toward the top for me, as is most of Clapton's catalog.
    But I've changed my mind... . I can sorta understand LA Woman (but not really), however for as many times as I've heard HC in my life, I still get some enjoyment out of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information