I need help finding a good deal...

...on an amp. I don't need FM- I never listen to it.

What I do want: Lots of inputs- I have a DVD/VHS deck, a MiniDisc deck, a stand-alone burner, a cassette deck and a CD player. Oh, yeah- a turntable, too. I need good wattage- 100-125, I think. Don't care about surround at the moment.

What I really want is just a basic integrated amp, with lots of inputs. If it has FM *shrug* oh, well...

You guys have any advice as far as on-line buying goes? I'd really rather not spend more than $300- I could have the old boring Sony fixed for a lot less, but...

Thanks,

ep

Edit: Hmmm, I may have posted too soon: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...2&catoid=-8021
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 05-03-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

Satay away from that Shirk-it City shiznit

Troy just went through this like a year ago. Ask someone who knows how to search the old forums to find that thread for you.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Pioneer Elite A35-R

I originally got this little integrated amp for my daughter in early 2002 because it sounds good and was cheap (I paid a mere $169 at soundcity.com), but it sounds so damned sweet I had to keep it for myself and gave her my old Onkyo stereo receiver instead since I never listen to the radio anyway. Don't let the price fool you; this thing sounds every bit as good as the entry level integrateds from Rotel, Marantz, and NAD. It has the good stuff inside - toroidal power supply, big caps, MOSFET output stage, etc.

It has six inputs including a MM phono stage and two tape loops with full monitoring on the tape 2 input, plus two pairs of speaker outputs, direct mode, etc. It's only rated at 45 wpc into 8 ohms and 65 wpc into 4 ohms but that's an honest rating and should play every bit as loud as a 100 watt Sony. Really the only thing I don't like about it is the remote can't turn it on or off but big deal.

Whenever my friends that are into audio come over they are amazed that such a cheap amp can sound like this, and a couple of them have purchased one for themselves as a result. That says it all, no?

I dunno....

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I originally got this little integrated amp for my daughter in early 2002 because it sounds good and was cheap (I paid a mere $169 at soundcity.com), but it sounds so damned sweet I had to keep it for myself and gave her my old Onkyo stereo receiver instead since I never listen to the radio anyway. Don't let the price fool you; this thing sounds every bit as good as the entry level integrateds from Rotel, Marantz, and NAD. It has the good stuff inside - toroidal power supply, big caps, MOSFET output stage, etc.
    It sounds like a good deal, but my sub/sat speakers aren't very efficient- I'm just wondering if 45wpc would be enough.

ep

Yeah, I was blown away by the response when I made the similar post a couple of years ago. I eneded up buying a 10 year old 2 channel NAD off of the sale board over at AR from a guy in PA for a couple hundred bucks. It was a great deal and I'm still really happy with it. Doesn't have enough inputs for you though.

Still, prolly a good place for you to look around.

what is the efficiency rating?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    It sounds like a good deal, but my sub/sat speakers aren't very efficient- I'm just wondering if 45wpc would be enough.

ep
    Do you know what the db rating is?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

ep
    If it's a sub/sat system with an active woofer then that'll do all of the heavy lifting so wattage shouldn't be a concern. Also keep in mind doubling wattage only yields a 3 dB increase in max. volume.

The Onkyo receiver I gave my kid is an older version of the 8511 (circa 1988) and it sounds pretty damned good itself. It's a little grainier in the mids and treble than the Elite but not by that much, although in its favor it does have stronger, tighter bass - mostly due to the increased power and higher damping factor rating (Onkyo rates the watts honestly too, at least with their stereo amps). But if you're going to spend $300 you'd probably be better off with something like the Marantz PM-7000 if you can find it that cheap.

In other words, you can do far worse than that Onkyo you're considering and I'm sure you'd be happy with it assuming it meets your needs.

Thread Information