Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Intelligently Designed Registered Member Monkey's Avatar

How old can you still rock?

Can you still do it when you're in your 50s? What are your plans for old age and rock n roll? How old before you quit caring about any new rock music or trends? Are you already older than you ever thought possible? Do you ever get a realy bad itch right around the base of your tail that you just can't seem to scratch? Have you ever heard the Flaming Stars "Sunset & Void" CD? Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    Can you still do it when you're in your 50s?
    I hope to find out...Do what? btw...

[QUOTE=Monkey]What are your plans for old age and rock n roll? {/QUOTE]
    I plan on participating in both, long as my equipment works.

How old before you quit caring about any new rock music or trends?
    for me, that was 10 years ago

Are you already older than you ever thought possible?
    nah...

Can you still do it when you're in your 50s? What are your plans for old age and rock n roll? How old before you quit caring about any new rock music or trends? Are you already older than you ever thought possible? Do you ever get a realy bad itch right around the base of your tail that you just can't seem to scratch? Have you ever heard the Flaming Stars "Sunset & Void" CD? Nice one.
    What's going on here? Poor grammar. Bad spelling. Questions about life in your 50's. Carrying bad monkey analogies just a little too far.

This is Texas Dave posting as Davey, isn't it?

Did you catch my funk, little Monkey? Turns out my musical funk is actually the flu. I had my shots but I guess they didn't cover the full influenza menu.

No music for me today. Just lots of ginger-ale and crackers. And bad TV.

Speaking of television, during the Survivor's Finale last night, they advertised a new show called, "Love Monkey". The guy works in the record industry and is somewhat similar to the John Cusack character in High Fidelity. A single, over-age, music geek. I think we need to start copywriting our posts!

Snowie

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    What's going on here? Poor grammar. Bad spelling. Questions about life in your 50's. Carrying bad monkey analogies just a little too far.
    But I really do have an itch

Yeah, pretty silly. I wonder how this site stays open with almost no traffic? Only two or three posts a day. Must be just for the reviews. Too bad. The Flaming Stars are pretty good and I am a hairy love monkey. Get well soon. Should I stop by with my doctor kit and take your temperature?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Define 'rock'.

That's like saying -- how old do you have to be before you have to stop having sex? Or '...to make a joke'?

You're too old when you think you're too old.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Turns out my musical funk is actually the flu. I had my shots but I guess they didn't cover the full influenza menu.
    Must be that lethal chicken soup you made last week. No soup for you!

Now go and listen to track 8 of that Rogue Wave disc over and over again. That'll make you feel better.

The calendar says I'm 37 but I still think of myself as a kid. Weird.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    But I really do have an itch

Yeah, pretty silly. I wonder how this site stays open with almost no traffic? Only two or three posts a day. Must be just for the reviews. Too bad. The Flaming Stars are pretty good and I am a hairy love monkey. Get well soon. Should I stop by with my doctor kit and take your temperature?
    What's up with the monkey monikers?

Yeah, this place has been 'deader' than usual lately...

but really, what's up with the monkey monikers?

You can do it for as long as you like doing it. Forget the numbers. They don't mean a thing.

Good luck with your itch. I can't reach it from here.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Well, the first generation of rock music listeners (specifically kids who grew up with it) are entering their twilight years now. Sounds like they're still going. I plan to continue with it too.

Instead there should be rules keeping guys like Dio, Ozzy, Aerosmith, etc from rocking well past their expiry dates.

Playing it live in front of an audience? The Stones crossed that threshold many years ago.

Listening to it? Playing and making it for your own amusement? That's forever, man.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    What's up with the monkey monikers?
    Where can you get more fun by the barrel full? Guess it all started back here, but could probably be traced all the way back to our old buddy monkeymen. The good old days at Rave Recs

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF9015C.php which in turn references this http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF87EE7.php
    Last edited by Davey; 12-13-2005 at 02:46 PM.

"Too old to rock'n'roll and he was too young to die" -- Jethro Tull.

Man I still like to think I rock and I'm pushing upper 40's -- can't see it changing in the 50's or 90's, for that matter. I despise syrupy "adult" genre music (esp if played by 20something guys with the last name of Buble) -- yuck!!

"Rockonrockandrollrockon" -- David Essex

and who do you think you are??

Cheers,

audiobill

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Where can you get more fun by the barrel full? Guess it all started back here, but could probably be traced all the way back to our old buddy monkeymen. The good old days at Rave Recs

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF9015C.php which in turn references this http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF87EE7.php
    Monkey...Is it a Pixies reference? (gosh, I hope so)

Gosh, those were the good ole days weren't they? Half those posters are over at AudioKarma now, but some I haven't heard from in years. I noticed this also today as I perused some old comps I plan to take to work with me and listen to whilst I...uh...ehem...work.

I prolly recieved 50 times as many comps as I ever shipped out; the ones I didn't throw away that is j/k. I guess the proliferation of ipods and high res/ hi-bit-rate downloading will kill comp making won't it?

Anyway, thanks for the links. Gosh, we're a bunch of geezers aren't we?

I miss Rae. :-(
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    I'm clocking in my mid 40s now beats me how that happened so soon, but I'm still 'rocking' - albeit softly. Thankfully with the internet I don't have to go to shops and actually buy this stuff, standing in line with a bunch of kids or pretending it's for my kids- now that would be embarassing.

Haven't posted in a while been too busy but I keep looking in now and then.

NP That new Springsteen 30th anniversary CD/DVD combo, hey this is good stuff this guy might have a future in the music biz.

Cheers
    Mike

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I'm 52. Do i still put on LZ and blast communication breakdown,yes. BTW,one of the best pure rock songs that nobody ever talks about. I would care about new rock music if there was any to care about. So few but i keep an ear open. That why i'm married,to itch that scratch. BTW,Areosmith could teach some of the newer one how to do it,thats for sure. Flaming Stars,oh i've heard them,they suck,sorry.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Flaming Stars,oh i've heard them,they suck,sorry.
    Well, they certainly are no Led Zeplin or Aerosmith, that's for sure.

Thank Gawd.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Flaming Stars,oh i've heard them,they suck,sorry.
    Don't be sorry. I think a lot of bands suck too. My loss. But I am surprised that the Flaming Stars would cause such a strong reaction in a person. Seems you would either like them or not, but never heard anyone say before they actually suck since they are so good at what they do. Hmmm, most people I've played em for really like the sound. If some others of you don't know them yet, and most of you probably do by now, check out the link in this old post for tons of mp3 files, especially the first two songs I rec from Sunset & Void. Great stuff for fans of that dark and moody Tindersticks and Nick Cave sound with a touch of the western side of Calexico tossed in, meaning some of that timeless (or time stopping) Ennio Morricone sound like in my current avatar ... Peter Gabriel backed by Slowdive for an experimental doo-wop album

Wow, those 2 links were sure a blast from the past! Forgot how much traffic this place attracted. and isn't it ironic that you were posting about the board being "slow", Ha!

Beware the 2nd coming of Monkeymen....

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Beware the 2nd coming of Monkeymen....
    Hehehe, I did just check and he did make the trip over here to the new place, but has never posted. Maybe just an auto transfer? Someone should PM the monkey and find out what's the haps

http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=183038

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    "Too old to rock'n'roll and he was too young to die" -- Jethro Tull.

Man I still like to think I rock and I'm pushing upper 40's -- can't see it changing in the 50's or 90's, for that matter. I despise syrupy "adult" genre music (esp if played by 20something guys with the last name of Buble) -- yuck!!

"Rockonrockandrollrockon" -- David Essex

and who do you think you are??

Cheers,

audiobill
    glad to see i'm not the only one.

a few years ago, went to my brother's mother-in-law's for christmas, and they were all raving about his first release, and had to play it. you know, nice, pretty music that all ages can appreciate. all it took me was hearing him slaughter some van morrison song to make me despise him. politely kept my opinions to myself.

i swore i would never be one of those people who only listen to what was popular during their high school/early twenties years. you know the type. but i'm kinda stuck still in the *0's, my favorite decade for music, and the decade where i saw the most shows, and bought the most records. and i find myself so disinterested in most of the new stuff out there today. those "river" stations that play that norah jones/ wallflowers/ david gray stuff; all pleasant enough i suppose, but it never strikes any emotion in me, never rises above mid-tempo, polite, non offensive status, and it certainly ain't rock and roll. i call it "rock music for those old folk who still think they're hip".

can't deal at all with the "nu-metal" stuff. system of a down, linkin park, staind, oh, please. and while i like a lot of the stuff i hear on alternative stations, it doesn't really make me want to go out and buy it. and the constant repetition of the playlists drives me insane. sick of hearing the same 30 songs day after day.

i probably need to invest in satellite radio. i need to hear some new stuff, a wide range of stuff, and a lot of variety. not the same limited playlist no matter what the format; AAA, hits, alternative, country, classic rock.

Until I can't play anymore.

I will always listen to the music of my youth. At 52, I need to reaquaint myself with my memories. Of course I've picked up on other kinds of music I enjoy. Rock always has a place for myself and my friends.

The downside is that a wide variance in styles of music sure puts pressure on selecting the right speakers...

...doesn't it?
    Cary Audio Designs SLP-05 Preamp [Sylvania 6SN7GTB]
    Cary Audio Designs CAD 500 Monoblocks
    Cary Audio Designs 303/300 HDCD [Mullard 12AU7s]
    Rotel RCD-1072 HDCD
    Luxman T117 Tuner
    Magnepan 3.6Rs
    JL Audio Fathom F110 subs

Can you still do it when you're in your 50s?
    Yes but not as often, I suspect.

What are your plans for old age and rock n roll?
    Less rock, more roll.

How old before you quit caring about any new rock music or trends?
    Uh, define "caring".

Are you already older than you ever thought possible?
    No.

Do you ever get a realy bad itch right around the base of your tail that you just can't seem to scratch?
    Do this. Back up against a tree and wiggle your butt really hard. Not too hard or the neighbors will think you're enjoying it too much. Just enough so they'll think, "Oh, he's got a really bad itch right around the base of his tail that he just can't seem to scratch" Let's face it, we've all been there.

Have you ever heard the Flaming Stars "Sunset & Void" CD? Nice one.
    Color me unhip.

Currently downloading the new ten disc set of Buddy Holly by Purple Chick.

Bootlegging. It's rare. It's time consuming. It's a legal grey area. What more could a man want?

Brad
    (Born To Be Semi-Wild)

Quote Originally Posted by LeoFenderBender
    I will always listen to the music of my youth. At 52, I need to reaquaint myself with my memories. Of course I've picked up on other kinds of music I enjoy. Rock always has a place for myself and my friends.
    That's what I like about RaveRecs. If ever I feel I'm to old to be enjoying this hobby, I just come here and talk to some old people. You guys are great.

NP: some old comp called 'Beneath The Mambo Sun' by some dipstick named DBI. What the hell ever happened to that guy. He used to always hang around here, foisting his comps on everyone...

Perhaps we can entice him.

Come and get it!!!!!!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information