Hope everyone had a great Father's Day

My little league team had a tournament this weekend so we spent the entire weekend at the complex playing baseball. My oldest son jacked on 20 feet past dead center during a 23-6 win on Saturday morning but we ended up losing the semi-final game yesterday 7-4. Youngest son's team had a league game late last night which they won so Sunday wasn't without some success.

No new music but I did get a new gas grill which was really needed. Being in KC we focus a lot on smoking and charcoal but having a gas grill in addition is really convenient. This new one is really funky-no lava rock or ceramic briquettes-just a stainless steel plate to distribute heat. Between us it doesn't really look to promising but having looked around that seems to be the style now.

What did ya'll do?

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Sounds like you had a nice Father's Day, Jim.

For Father's Day my son and I went and got breakfast at a place of his choosing. It was beautiful here so later my son, my gf and her son all went miniature golfing and did some bumper boats and arcade games. We had a good time.

Back in the day when I lived in a house (as opposed to an apartment), I had both a charcoal and a gas grill. You're right, the gas grill is really convenient and is great in the winter time. Doesn't really compare for taste to the charcoal grill, but it's still a great thing as far as I'm concerned.

Stone
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

dld
    Forum Regular
    Father's Day at the Nastys-:

Petulant daughter came over and took Mom and Dad to a Vietnamese Noodle House around noon. Excellent.

The boy called shortly after we got back and wished me a good one.

Squabbling couple came over at 3, we killed a margrta and then proceeded to a joint and saw three bands and almost melted in the heat and humidity. 3 buckets of iced down Shiners (6 per bucket) helped a lot, wives only had 1 each. Do the math. Only one good group/artist, Jack Ingram, a marginal blues rock band, and one whiny country gal singer who I truly, truly, hated. Got Ingram to autograph all three of his CDs.

Lotsa potential homewreckers on display. Mr. Squabbling couple almost had to be tied down. Gals had their one beer and went inside for over an hour to escape the heat. Asked if we would be OK left outside, all alone. Bwahahahahaha!! We managed

Then went to a favorite Italian hangout after the concert all stinky and sweaty and pigged out. I'd call it an 8 on a ten scale Father's Day.
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

42 Regular

A GREAT Father's Day

The MidFi family started celebrating on Saturday night with 3 big bone-in ribeyes cooked to medium-rare perfection on the grill. Yesterday we went to a minor league baseball game. The A-league Kane County Cougars play just 5 minutes from my home, and it's always a blast. Perfect weather, too: 74 and sunny, with just a few puffy clouds. And the good guys won.

Grilled a beer-can chicken last night. Fabulous with some fresh-made guacamole and margaritas. Then I just chilled out and played my Peter Gabriel Growing Up concert DVD.

Being the dad has its rewards.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

On Saturday I treated myself to some new music (vinyl of course) both from the local store: (Yo La Tengo - Electro-O-Pura; The Constantines - Shine a Light & Spoon - Kill the Moonlight) and on-line from Insound.com: (Mclusky - McLusky do Dallas; ...and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - s/t; Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly; The Decemberists - The Tain/5-Songs; The Strokes - Room on Fire and TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes)

Sunday morning I head a 7:05 tee-off and had a couple friends over for a BBQ in the evening, A few Stella Artois, a nice bottle of Italian red and all was good.

Mark
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular
    Well, my fathers day was pretty lame-o, I guess.

We were our REAL late the night before running my mother inlaw's 60th birthday party.

Went to breakfast at 11:00AM on Fathers Day, Carter was wild as all heck as usual.

I went riding after that then came home and had a few beers.

My wife left at 6PM with 2 ladies to help support a friend whose dad died the night before fathers day. She didn't get home till 2 AM today.

I had 2 dvd's I wanted to watch - Dream Theatre and Star One, but those will have to wait. But I did get to play Gamecube with Carter, and to see him smile and have fun sure is beneficial. We also played Lego's and hide and seek. I horsed a bit with Trev, he likes to slug me one on the arm...

So needless to say we are worn out and we have to run Trevors birthday party tonight. About 10 11 year old boys will be at our house armmed with icecream, those spray cans of topping, etc., for a "sundae making contest".

Then we go to the backyard where I rigged up the hose to spray all over the trampoline while the kids jump.

But if it rains we will go to plan b, whatever that is.

Plus my father is incommunicado with Alzheimers and Parkinsons so in general it was overall just another day in the life.

Dave

Angry Fathers Day???!!!!! Fathers Day???!!!!

I was out gigging Saturday night. I got up early to help run my son's 11th birthday party. Nothing like 13 screaming pre-teen boys at a bowling alley at 1:00 in the afternoon. Particularly after they're all jacked up on pizza, soda, cake and ice cream. So it was a great Father's day for the guys that left me with their screamin' chitlins. I then proceeded to get the "mother of all migraines" only to pass out late that evening right after 6 Feet Under.

But for the joy in my son's eyes.. wouldn't trade it for the world.

Da Worfster

A pretty decent day with Los Lobos in the mix!

We took my parents out to dinner Saturday evening so we wouldn't feel so guilty about not seeing my dad on Sunday, and it worked our great. As I mentioned in a post a month or so ago, that great American rock band, Los Lobos, was doing a free, yes free, show at Longs Park in Lancaster, PA. They have live bands playing at their outdoor ampitheater every Sunday night in the summer, but they're not usually of this caliber. We got to the park at about noon and met a bunch of friends and had a nice little feast of a picnic at both lunch and dinner. The sun was bright and not a cloud in the sky, with a temp of about 75 F and not much humidity. In essence, it was just about perfect. We threw frisbee, played whiffleball, smoked cigars and had a fun day. The band came on about 7:30 and proceeded to play a bunch of interesting covers, although I can't remember all of them. I do recall "Come On, Let's Go" by Richie Valens, "Bertha" from the Dead, and Voodoo Chile from Hendrix (The last time I saw them they did Voodoo Child (Slight Return). They did a few from their latest release "The Ride", but I don't know the names of the tunes well enough since I just got it the day before the show. My faves were the songs from Kiko; Just a Man(Hidalgo really rips the lead on that one) and Kiko and the Lavender Moon. All in all a great show, especially when you consider it was free! If you are ever in Lancaster in the summer and want to check out who is playing, check their website at
    longspark.org.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information