Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ I-Pod

Help w/ I-Pod

My son got an I-Pod graris (sorta) after we broke the bank on his braces (teeth). I do not own a Mac and I do not want to use I-Tunes. How can I put MP3s on this thing with my PC. I did the drag and click thing but it doesn't show up on the I-Pod.

Don't know why you don't want to use iTunes. It's a great program.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Don't know why you don't want to use iTunes. It's a great program.
    I already have lots of MP3 on my computer, and no way in hell am I going to pay 99 cents for a 128kbps-MP3. Basically, all I want to do is transfer the stuff from my hardrive to the Ipod

You can rip songs into iTunes. You don't have to buy them. What I don't know is that if you transfer your songs into iTunes whether it automatically removes them from your other program. Unfortunately I don't know the answer your question.

Thanks anyway - I knew the minute I p!ssed and moaned about it in a public forum I'd figure it out.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    What I don't know is that if you transfer your songs into iTunes whether it automatically removes them from your other program.
    Theoretically, once an MP3 file is on your computer you should be able to play it from any media player that will play MP3s. I have iTunes and MediaMonkey on my system and I can play songs that I've ripped into iTunes on MediaMonkey and vice versa. But, I always use iTunes to sinc my iPod.

I suspect that you won't be able to put songs onto your iPod without iTunes. But I don't know that for sure. However, you should be able to install iTunes on your computer and use it to transfer your existing MP3s to your iPod without having to buy new files. I have over 2500 songs on my iPod, but I've only ever purchased one song from iTunes. The rest were ripped from CDs.

Holy crap FA, I just noticed your post count...you must be all over AR. Which forums do you go to when your not here at RR?

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Holy crap FA, I just noticed your post count...you must be all over AR. Which forums do you go to when your not here at RR?
    That's right...I get around.

I spend a lot of time over at Favourite Films where there's a great Lost discussion thread during the Lost season. And the Off-Topic/Non-Audio forum is also a fun place to hang out. You should check it out. Right now they're throwing a party for me in honour of me turning 3000! Consider this your invitation.

I also like to go to the other forums when I have questions. Most recently I was shopping for new ear buds for my iPod and found some great advice over at the Portable Audio Forum.

Suspended
    If I may be so bold...

It seems to me that some people here in RR don't even know (or care) that there are many forums at Audio Review. Sometimes I feel like I'm imposing on someone's private clique when I stop in here. 3-LockBox, your question about your iPod could surely be answered in the Portable Audio forum, and yeah, we have a lot of fun in the Off Topic forum as well. GMichael is at his hilarious best in his Jokes thread.

I get the impression that people here sub to their threads and only stop in when they get e-mail. But, far be it from me to interfere.

MediaMonkey will sync mp3 or wav to your iPod. In fact, MediaMonkey Gold can do on-the-fly transcodes and sync FLAC, WMAL, or APE to mp3 for the iPod (or lossy wma and ogg for players that support those formats). MM doesn't currently support Apple Lossless or AAC, however.

But really, use iTunes. The greatest benefits of the iPod are the smart playlists and gapless playback, neither of which will work without iTunes AFAIK.

I use MediaMonkey to convert my lossless files to mp3 for iPod use but use iTunes to sync and make playlists. MM's Lame 3.97 mp3 encoder is much better than the one iTunes uses. V0 @ 245 kb/s sounds virtually identical to Apple Lossless on the iPod, and even on good home audio equipment it's pretty damn impressive although sometimes you can tell it's definitely lossy. Point is the iPod's sonics just aren't good enough to tell the difference through my $20 JVC Marshmallows (which are awesome considering the price). Ditch those iBuds ASAP.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I did the drag and click thing but it doesn't show up on the I-Pod.
    You mean you drag and dropped MP3 files to the icon on your desktop? You may have copied files over taken up space you'll want to reclaim. At least on a Mac, the iPods can function as flash drives. You can copy files to a 'partition' on the iPod that won't be seen by the music functions on the iPod. The files can be anything, including audio files. They will reside there and take up space unless you put them in the trash and empty the trash.

When you iPod is connected and iTunes is open, you can select the iPod in the side menu and you will presented with screens displaying information about the contents of the iPod. There's a graphic at the bottom that gives the space available, the space used by music, AND the space taken up by files in the flash partition.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I use MediaMonkey to convert my lossless files to mp3 for iPod use but use iTunes to sync and make playlists. MM's Lame 3.97 mp3 encoder is much better than the one iTunes uses. V0 @ 245 kb/s sounds virtually identical to Apple Lossless on the iPod, and even on good home audio equipment it's pretty damn impressive although sometimes you can tell it's definitely lossy. Point is the iPod's sonics just aren't good enough to tell the difference through my $20 JVC Marshmallows (which are awesome considering the price). Ditch those iBuds ASAP.
    Hey Slosh, are you saying that you can rip MP3s at 245kb on Media Monkey and then sync those files onto your iPod using iTunes?

42 Regular
    Just for the record, I have about 3500 songs on my iPod...and over 90% of them are MP3s. The only ones that aren't are the ones I bought from Apple...the rest I ripped from CDs.

And yes, iTunes is an amazingly slick piece of software. A genuine pleasure to use, even in a Windows environment.

NP: "Jimmy Jazz" from London Calling
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    It seems to me that some people here in RR don't even know (or care) that there are many forums at Audio Review. Sometimes I feel like I'm imposing on someone's private clique when I stop in here.
    You know, that gets said a lot around here, but I never understood why someone would say that...because you posted something and no one responded? Hell, if that bothered me, I would have disappeared long ago, even in this forum's heyday. I have benefited way more from participation on this board than I've contributed; my collection has grown from recommendations and from comps I've received gratis from the other members, whereas you can count the number of comps I've offered on one hand, and prolly the same for my recs. My threads don't garner a lot of posts, but I get the info I want because basically, I want to listen to music. I visit two or three other music websites that are more specialized to what I seeking as well, so I'm not completely reliant on this one.

[sarcasm=3LB]But perhaps I'm not reading enough into it...maybe when no one responds to my posts, its not because they don't have a response, maybe its their way of telling me to stick it and go away[/sarcasm].

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's right...I get around.

I spend a lot of time over at Favourite Films where there's a great Lost discussion thread during the Lost season. And the Off-Topic/Non-Audio forum is also a fun place to hang out. You should check it out.
    I go to FF every now and then, but I don't have a whole lotta favorite films, really. I first started out going to AR long ago to look in on talk of Minidisc players. Back then, I was TA, but then my moniker got corrupted by a troll, so I changed it to the current one. The general forum was where I used to hang out and take part of many weekly threads such as the 'audio voodoo threads', the 'get Yech' threads, and to participate in the first (and only?) virtual bar experience at ye old 'Pogue & Bone'. But the general forum could get so nasty; many flame wars over tweaks, Bose, Yech, Mrtycrfts, et, el. Maybe its a kinder, gentler forum now... I'll check it out.

I go to FF every now and then, but I don't have a whole lotta favorite films, really. I first started out going to AR long ago to look in on talk of Minidisc players. Back then, I was TA, but then my moniker got corrupted by a troll, so I changed it to the current one. The general forum was where I used to hang out and take part of many weekly threads such as the 'audio voodoo threads', the 'get Yech' threads, and to participate in the first (and only?) virtual bar experience at ye old 'Pogue & Bone'. But the general forum could get so nasty; many flame wars over tweaks, Bose, Yech, Mrtycrfts, et, el. Maybe its a kinder, gentler forum now... I'll check it out.
    I'm not referring to the General forum. It's the Off Topic - Non Audio forum. They are two different forums. There may be an occasional disagreement there, but I haven't seen any all out flame wars. For the most part everyone is pretty respectful of others.

Suspended
    You know, that gets said a lot around here, but I never understood why someone would say that...because you posted something and no one responded?
    Oh heck no! It certainly doesn't bother me if I say something that ilicits no response. I've been around discussion forums for about ten years now and I realize that's just part of the cyberspace community experience. In fact, I was once named "Thread Killer Extraordinaire" at a Go-fast car forum I used to be a regular at.
    Hell, if that bothered me, I would have disappeared long ago, even in this forum's heyday. I have benefited way more from participation on this board than I've contributed; my collection has grown from recommendations and from comps I've received gratis from the other members, whereas you can count the number of comps I've offered on one hand, and prolly the same for my recs. My threads don't garner a lot of posts, but I get the info I want because basically, I want to listen to music. I visit two or three other music websites that are more specialized to what I seeking as well, so I'm not completely reliant on this one.
    The point I was trying to make was that technical questions like the one you asked about your iPod (which incedentally I just learned quite a bit about with some of the responses) are generally posted in the Portable Audio forum. I only meant that as a suggestion, and by no means am I trying to twist anybody's arm. Moderators on some boards move questions not related to a particular forum to a more appropiate one.

The fact that I sometimes feel like I'm imposing goes back to an incident where I got ripped here for reasons unknown, about something a writer or critic said in comparison to another band, which I paraphrased in a thread I posted. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth about RR at that time, but didn't stop me from participating and enjoying the convesations and music recommendations. (Read... you can't get rid of me that easy! )
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox
    [sarcasm=3LB]But perhaps I'm not reading enough into it...maybe when no one responds to my posts, its not because they don't have a response, maybe its their way of telling me to stick it and go away[/sarcasm].

Been there, done that, got the resume to prove it!

Forum Regular
    I know Ipods are as popular as anything, but I have never owned one and probably never will.

I don't like how ipod's and their music content run over computers. I prefer to seperate my audio from my computing.

Dave

Hey Slosh, are you saying that you can rip MP3s at 245kb on Media Monkey and then sync those files onto your iPod using iTunes?
    edit: short answer = yes
    Yeah, but that's not exactly what I do. I rip everything in lossless then make mp3 copies with MM just for the iPod. The transcode/sync thing that MM Gold does allows you to get mp3s on the iPod without having to keep those mp3 files on your PC. I don't do this because sometimes friends want to put some of my stuff on their mp3 players so I just keep all of my mp3s in a separate folder away from "My Music". Lame V0 @ 245kb/s sounds great but the encoding time is sloooow (but definitely worth it).

If I ripped in mp3 I would definitely use MM (over iTunes) and then add those songs to my iTunes library. MM itself can sync to the iPod but then you give up smart playlists and gapless playback (if you have a 5th generation or newer iPod, that is).
    Last edited by Slosh; 06-06-2007 at 01:11 PM.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Just for the record, I have about 3500 songs on my iPod.
    I currently have 2564 with 9.8GB left

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

edit: short answer = yes
    Yeah, but that's not exactly what I do. I rip everything in lossless then make mp3 copies with MM just for the iPod. The transcode/sync thing that MM Gold does allows you to get mp3s on the iPod without having to keep those mp3 files on your PC. I don't do this because sometimes friends want to put some of my stuff on their mp3 players so I just keep all of my mp3s in a separate folder away from "My Music". Lame V0 @ 245kb/s sounds great but the encoding time is sloooow (but definitely worth it).

If I ripped in mp3 I would definitely use MM (over iTunes) and then add those songs to my iTunes library. MM itself can sync to the iPod but then you give up smart playlists and gapless playback (if you have a 5th generation or newer iPod, that is).
    Do you know if this will work with a 4th gen iPod? I've been looking for a reason to justify an upgrade. This might be it.

I don't see Lame VO @245kb/s on MM. Do I need to upgrade to the Gold version? Is Extreme VBR @ 256kbps the same? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not very savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff.

As for keeping stuff on my computer...I've got 150 GBs of free space, so I'm not too concerned.

Do you know if this will work with a 4th gen iPod? I've been looking for a reason to justify an upgrade. This might be it.
    It should but you may want to upgrade to a new iPod just for the gapless playback. Very nice to hear tracks that flow together with no pause in between
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Autumn
    I don't see Lame VO @245kb/s on MM. Do I need to upgrade to the Gold version? Is Extreme VBR @ 256kbps the same? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not very savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff.

As for keeping stuff on my computer...I've got 150 GBs of free space, so I'm not too concerned.
    No, you only need Gold to do the on-the-fly transcodes. For ripping the free version is all you need. You may want to check if there are any updates or newer builds. Anyway, go to Rip CD > Format > mp3 > settings > use manual settings > V0. It should be in there. If not you may need to update MM. Please note this will slow down your rip time considerably but the results are well worth it.

Extreme VBR @ 256 is quite good as well but I hear less encoding artifacts with V0 and the files end up being a bit smaller (most songs end up being in the 200-220 kb/s range but I've seen some as low as 135 and others as high as 300)

edit: oops, missed a step
    Last edited by Slosh; 06-06-2007 at 03:24 PM.

It should but you may want to upgrade to a new iPod just for the gapless playback. Very nice to hear tracks that flow together with no pause in between
    No, you only need Gold to do the on-the-fly transcodes. For ripping the free version is all you need. You may want to check if there are any updates or newer builds. Anyway, go to Rip CD > Format > mp3 > settings. It should be in there. If not you may need to update MM. Please note this will slow down your rip time considerably but the results are well worth it.

Extreme VBR @ 256 is quite good as well but I hear less encoding artifacts with V0 and the files end up being a bit smaller (most songs end up being in the 200-220 kb/s range but I've seen some as low as 135 and others as high as 300).
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to try this on my 4th gen. But you've given me some good reasons to upgrade too. Bigger files means that I'll probably want to go from a 40G to an 80G iPod sooner.

Edit: The secret to finding Lame VO @245kb/s is to change to Manual Settings.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 06-06-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Bigger files means that I'll probably want to go from a 40G to an 80G iPod sooner.
    80GB = about 12,000 songs!!! Well, that should keep you busy for a while

80GB = about 12,000 songs!!! Well, that should keep you busy for a while
    I know it's probably overkill, but if I'm going to buy a 30GB, it seems kind of silly not to pay the relatively small additional cost to increase the memory by 160%. Besides, if I have the option of video, I'll probably download some TV shows to watch when I'm travelling. And I'll use it to store pictures too.

....not that I'm trying to rationalize or anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information