Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rae

heaviest album in yr collection

I know I started this thread once before... I tried to find it in response to the "head bangers" thread below, but it looks like it was lost to a software change somewhere over the years.

Bonus points for any record that isn't metal. I'll start with a few:

Suicide - First Album -
    The kind of no wave that Bruce Springsteen gets into, Suicide issued a statement of purpose with the first of their two self-titled LPs. Alan Vega moans and shreiks over Martin Rev's pulsating synthesizers-- and that's it. These guys don't need a rhythm section; hell, they don't even need melody, just the same insistent, pulsating riffs sketching out their entrapment in an ever-decaying world. Hell yeah, it's repetitive! These guys even have the nerve to sequence the same song back-to-back on the a-side. If you're not beaten down and begging for mercy by the end of "Frankie Teardrop", well, chances are you've already resigned yrself to the same bleak clutches of despair.

Swans - Children of God/World of Skin -
    If Suicide is claustrophobic, then Swans are suffocating. M. Gira layers dense atmospherics over all manner of abrasive instrumentation and frequently holds forth with his ominous intonations, but it's co-vocalist Jarboe who really takes the group to an unsettling place. Swans have the ability to be absolutely pummeling, but they dismantle yr fragile psyche most in their quieter moments. Gira dedicated this album to Jesus Christ, but it's the dark master whose invisible hands seem to be conducting his orchestra.

Frodus - And We Washed Our Weapons in the Sea -
    Easily the best album of Frodus' career, this one bursts out of the gate with "Red Bull of Juarez". Is that bass a living animal? It sure seems to growl and gnash its teeth. Of course, vocalist Shelby Cinca does some growling of his own as he spits "I'm left for dead, now" over the intensly rhythmic riffage. If we're left for dead after only one track, how dare they assault us with ten more? And is that guitar mimicing circus sounds in "The Earth Isn't Humming"? Welcome to the carnival of the macabre, my friend.

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come -
    They say that the classics never go out of style, and this one is no exception, still sounding as punishing as it did the day it was released. Refused didn't write the book on tension and release, nor did they invent the fusion of metal and hardcore that would be mimiced by so many MTV2-ready emo bands a decade later, but they did combine those elements with bursts of jazz and electronica in a way that nobody else has matched. I still find myself compelled to bust a few ninja moves every time I spin this one. "I've got a bone to pick / and a few to break."

Khanate - Things Viral -
    Ever wonder what it would sound like if you took Black Sabbath riffs, ran them at half-speed, and put Bon Scott vocals over them? Wonder no more.

Napalm Death - Scum -
    Yeah, these guys pretty much cranked out the same cartoonish grindcore over and over throughout their career, but it did sound agreeably crusty the first time. I mean, if dirt listened to music, this is what it would be.

Hammerhead - Into the Vortex -
    I could basically put the whole AmRep catalog on this list, but it reached its pinnacle IMHO with this sophomore release from the boys in Hammerhead. Al Burian called this "easy listening for the tinnitus-afflicted". Really, if you're from North Dakota, what other kind of music could you be inspired to make?

Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow -
    Maybe not the purest coalescence of their sound (that honor probably goes to Ride the Skies), but production value-wise, this bass-and-drums duo never sounded heavier than it did on this record. Did anyone else see that Lightning Bolt documentary where one audience member gamely covers his ears until he is overcome and simply points at drummer Brian Chippendale, awestruck and slack-jawed? I've been that guy.

The Locust - s/t -
    The Locust are ridiculous. They dress up like bugs, they play minute-long songs that seem to consist mainly of running up and down the fretboard at blinding speeds, and they title them things like "Moth Eaten Deer Head" and "Cattle Mutilation". Oh yeah, and they rip off the cover art for this album from Queen's News of the World, which while not being particularly heavy musically at least gets my vote for most terrifying album art of all time.

The Melvins - Ozma/Gluey Porch Treatments -
    The Melvins rock like they are emerging from primordial ooze. Underwater. While doing huge bongs of Scotchguard. Basically, they are excellent.

Sleep - Dopesmoker -
    The title track from this record is one gigantic stoner-metal jam. That lasts for sixty minutes. There are no other tracks.

Slayer - Reign in Blood -
    I had to mention it!

All right, now you.

~Rae

Forum Regular
    It would have to be YESSONGS, with all those fold-outs, the three LP's and a book, it is by far my heaviest record...

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    It would have to be YESSONGS, with all those fold-outs, the three LP's and a book, it is by far my heaviest record...
    ha!

~Rae

You'll probably chuckle...

...but my heaviest would probably be Mer de Noms by A Perfect Circle or 10,000 Days by Tool, but I didn't actually buy them. Both were 'promotional' copies that I received from others. Of those I actually purchased, perhaps it would be Downward is Heavenward from Hum, although I seriously doubt anyone who appreciates heavy music would call this heavy, eh Rae?

G Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hmm, Opeth, Napalm Death, Fear Factory, Hatebreed, Pantera, Slayer?

I dunno - I find myself listening a lot less to this kind of stuff these days - though I love listening to it during workouts or while running to keep the intensity up. Pantera and Slayer will always have a place - Opeth impresses me with their musical scope, but Fear Factory, Napalm Death, etc, - these guys were fun for awhile, but I can't help but think the gimmick is getting old for me...I need a bit more than heavy for the sake of heavy I guess unless I'm specifically in that sort of mood.

You should see the looks my co-workers shoot me when Reign In Blood or Blackwater Park starts blaring when I start my car up...I take a fair amount of abuse from the older guys and gals...

Mutant from table 9
    I just don't get that heavy. Sure I have lots of Tool and A Perfect Circle, some Anthrax, and tons of British Invasion metal (Maiden, Priest, Motorhead). But even my favorite Marilyn Manson record is his lightest: Mechanical Animals. Any "heavy metal" I have is generally from artist that get at least some airplay. On the other hand I have lots of speedy punk rock records that would be at least as fast as the fastest speed metal, if not as crunchy and heavy.

Certainly no contemporary "speed metal", "death metal", "black metal", "doom metal", or, my favorite "viking metal" and its sub-genre "troll metal" (found viking and troll on the wikipedia entry for heavy metal ).

Although I did discovery a heavy band recently, just by virtue of them being on a generally punk rock label, Hopeless Records. They won an MTV video award for best new artist last year, which I thought was rather surpriseing. "And the moonman goes to... Avenged Sevenfold!" A collective "Who?" from the audience.

Nope, this is as heavy has I get these days:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMrKxnsaUMg They never believe you when you tell them, "You will regret that tattoo when your 35 years old."

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

42 Regular
    I don't really have that much heavy stuff in my collection. I guess it depends on what "heavy" means, really. Is Led Zeppelin's first album heavier than Stone Temple Pilot's second album? Is Jane's Addiction heavier than either of those?

Aaaaaand just as I type that, the iPod shuffle gods dredged up a little nugget from Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking. "Sex! Is! Violent!...Sex! Is! Violent!!!!" OK, thanks Perry. I'll take that under advisement.

Happy Monday to you.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular
    Probably my Judas Priest or UFO collections...maybe a Thin Lizzy or two...or some of my Deep Purple or Rainbow or Sabbath or Ozzy. Some of the newer Porcupine Tree stuff is pretty heavy too...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell

Do compilation cd's count?
    My heaviest comes from a bunch of downloads from which I picked out about 15 songs that I liked. Bruce Dickerson, Tool, Godsmack, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Disturbed and a few others, and it ROCKS!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

heaviest album in yr collection?

...something along the lines of Megadeth or the Angry Samoans. Maybe the Minute Men.

I like alot of the stuff mentioned and would maybe add Alice in Chains on the commercial-side of heavy. I find that these days I rarely listen to an album of the heavy stuff all the way through. Maybe I'm just not the angry, young man that I used to be.

I recently picked up a couple of concert DVDs that are pretty heavy. NIN's All That Could Have Been and Megadeth's That One Night. Boasting an impressive dts soundtrack and a solid setlist, That One Night was filmed at a recent show in Rio. It's great listening to the Brazilian fans sing along to the guitsr parts.

"You take a mortal man..."
    "NAT NAT NAT"
    "and put him in control..."
    "NAT NAT NAT"

Dave's still pretty tight after all these years.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Of those I actually purchased, perhaps it would be Downward is Heavenward from Hum, although I seriously doubt anyone who appreciates heavy music would call this heavy, eh Rae?
    Dense, surely... fuzzed out-- naturally... heavy? Perhaps. Do you feel that My Bloody Valentine is heavy? I mean, they definitely have myriad delicate moments, but that first drum lick on "Only Shallow" is an asskicker... and Isn't Anything has as many unnerving moments as pretty ones... so I guess if MBV is heavy, then Hum is heavy. Sounds right to me.

~Rae

On weekdays after work, It's usually stuff not to intense or loud,(there are exceptions)
    but on weekends the Metallica, Maiden, Priest come out. I've also been getting into newer
    (to me) hard rock/metal bands such as, Shadows Fall, Saliva, Godsmack, Disturbed, and
    others. My speaker choice was made based on loud rock music, and thats what I
    do as much as possible (neighbors be damned)
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

I thing MBV is heavy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Dense, surely... fuzzed out-- naturally... heavy? Perhaps. Do you feel that My Bloody Valentine is heavy? I mean, they definitely have myriad delicate moments, but that first drum lick on "Only Shallow" is an asskicker... and Isn't Anything has as many unnerving moments as pretty ones... so I guess if MBV is heavy, then Hum is heavy. Sounds right to me.

~Rae
    ...but my daughter laughed at me one time when I suggested that Hum was heavy. She's not a fan of heavy, so I just took it with a grain of salt.

G Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    Down - nola is pretty freakin heavy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...but my heaviest would probably be Mer de Noms by A Perfect Circle or 10,000 Days by Tool, but I didn't actually buy them. Both were 'promotional' copies that I received from others. Of those I actually purchased, perhaps it would be Downward is Heavenward from Hum, although I seriously doubt anyone who appreciates heavy music would call this heavy, eh Rae?

G Swish
    I love that Hum album, I'm sure everyone knows that already. Yea, it's pretty friggin' heavy if you ask me. There are different kinds of "heavy" though. I'm not so sure what I would rank as my #1.

My thoughts keep moving to Celtic Frost's TO MEGATHERION album. Really, the early Frost albums pretty much are the foundation of entire genres of metal music. Of course, shot though there would also be early Sabbath. The first couple Sabbath albums were heavier than anything that ever existed prior to that point, except for maybe Stravinky's THE RITE OF SPRING or Verdi's REQUIEM.

I have this album by Katatonia called TONIGHT'S DESCISION which is pretty damn heavy. It was their 2nd album. Everything they've done since has been similiar, so I'd pick that one.

As far as Slayer goes... REIGN IN BLOOD was all about speed. When they slowed it down a notch for SOUTH OF HEAVEN, in my opinion, they got a LOT heavier. So, that is the one that would get my vote.

others.

Kyuss - BLUES FOR THE RED SUN and SKY VALLEY. Monuments to heaviness.

You'd have to also mention St. Vitus.. any of their early SST albums are just, pretty dag gone heavy. And the Obsessed, by extension.

anyone heard the Japanese group Zeni Geva? check out FREEDOM BONDAGE. If the Klingons had a metal band, this is what they would sound like.

One of the truly HEAVY "heavy metal" albums of all time would be Entombed's CLANDESTINE.

One of the truly HEAVY "non-heavy metal" albums of all time would be Mastodon's REMISSION.

I'm a fan of good metal, but to be honest, there aren't really that many outstanding "heavy" heavy metal albums. I tend to prefer rock bands who have the attitude.. "hey, we're not metal, but we can be heavier than that!!" kind of like that Hammerhead album that Rae mentioned.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Forum Regular

Hey Jar

Do you have celtic Frost's latest, "Monotheist?" damn good album, heavy as hell

good picks on the Kyuss too. it all depends on what kind of "heavy" we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Do you have celtic Frost's latest, "Monotheist?" damn good album, heavy as hell

good picks on the Kyuss too. it all depends on what kind of "heavy" we are talking about.

I've heard a couple tracks here and there, pretty impressive after all these years..

-jar

The Replacements

Black Sabbath:
    -Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    -Heaven & Hell
    -We Sold our Souls for Rock&Roll.
    -Paranoid

Ozzy:
    -Blizzard of Oz
    -Diary of a Madman
    -What was the 3rd? Crazy Train?
    -No more Tears

Lita - Don't remember the name
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Gun's&Roses - first one
    Rainbow
    Tin Lizzy
    Rat Race Choir
    Ram Jam
    Twisted Sister
    What's her face and The Plasmatics (great live show, if you like scank) Wendy O Williams?
    Dc Star
    Wasted Angle
    Not as heavy but, Ted Nugent:
    -Scream Dream
    -Cat Scratch Fever
    -Double Live Gonzo
    Night Ranger - More heavy live than on CD.
    Kizz: -I'll never admit to how many I have.
    Last edited by GMichael; 06-06-2007 at 05:31 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Black Sabbith...Paranoid
    Judas Priest..British Steel
    Def Leppard..High N' Dry
    AC/DC..Highway To Hell/Powerage
    Saxon..The Inner Sanctum
    Brainstorm..Liquid Monster
    Black Label Society..Mafia
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Love Devin Townsend Band CD I have.Synchestra. If you like Opeth, you'll love this kick-ass metal masterpiece.

Forum Regular
    Hawkwind: "Space Ritual" ultra heavy space rock!

The opening riffs in "Master of the Universe" kick major azz

define: heavy...

This term 'heavy' seems very fluid in my mind. What makes music heavy? Is it the double-bass drum going at 300bpm? Or distorted guitars that are so crunchy that Rice Crispies get jealous? It is the growling lyrics that are penned overtop of backdrop of death? What makes music ...heavy? LED ZEPPELIN was once consired "heavy", but now are thought of us pure Rock N' Roll. Which leads me to the question ...what about the band...

AN*L CU*NT? Also known as AC?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    hmmm. Don't buy much that is 'heavy'. In my Brain Pain category, I'd cite

Ministry: The Land of Rape and Honey and/or The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste

...industrial rip-saw metal electronic music? does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    This term 'heavy' seems very fluid in my mind. What makes music heavy? Is it the double-bass drum going at 300bpm? Or distorted guitars that are so crunchy that Rice Crispies get jealous? It is the growling lyrics that are penned overtop of backdrop of death? What makes music ...heavy? LED ZEPPELIN was once consired "heavy", but now are thought of us pure Rock N' Roll. Which leads me to the question ...what about the band...
    Led Zep will always be heavy. People will listen to band they *think* are "heavy" and then they will inevitably get bored with them and return to Led Zeppelin.

there's nothing "heavy" about AC.

-jar

The Replacements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information