Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Thumbs up "Guilty pleasure" albums?

Are there albums that you own that you are embarrassed to have in your collection? Albums that have no indie cred? Albums that you've outgrown from a musical perspective...yet still can't fathom selling off? Albums that will elicit an eye-rolling reaction from your musically inclined friends, but you still find them fascinating?

Here are my skeletons in the closet:

Guns 'N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction
    Yeah, it's basically 80's cock-rock. But unlike most of their peers, this has balls, grit, and a middle-finger-in-the-air trashy subversiveness that weren't seen since the New York Dolls. I still can't live without my monthly fix of "It's So Easy."

Green Day: Dookie
    It's poppy, commercialized, and heavily derivative of The Jam, Husker Du, The Buzzcocks, and a bunch of other punk acts the average person has never heard of. I still dig it, though. At least it's better than the Blink-182 and Sum41 sh-t that followed.

Beastie Boys: Licensed To Ill
    All the fratboys and whiggers love this rap/rock fusion to death. And I do too. Best track: "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" (BEST RIFF EVER in a rap song)

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Let's Face It
    Yes, I bought this back in '98 for "The Impression That I Get." And third-wave ska is deader than JFK. Do I still listen to it? Absolutely.

Dream Theater: Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
    I'm sure I'm gonna get punched in my cyber mouth by the resident proggers for saying this, but this album definitely reeks of prog cheese. Lots of solos, a generally cliche concept storyline, a male vocalist that sounds female, and a keyboardist that reminds me so much of Rick Wakeman I'm surprised he doesn't wear a cape. Still, if I have an urge to hear 128 notes a minute played with robotlike precision, this is where I go.

Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
    Basically a slick, poppy AOR album. But there is no denying the talents of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. "The Chain" might be the best song they ever wrote.

I used to own Sublime's self-titled, Offsrping's Americana, and Bush's Sixteen Stone, but I came to my senses and traded them in for Queens Of The Stone Age's Songs For The Deaf. Fair trade? I'm sorry to say that I also used to own Kid Rock's Devil Without A Cause but I curbstomped that POS a long time ago along with a bunch of R&B and lite rock sh-t I used to devour when I was musically retarded.
    Last edited by mad rhetorik; 02-06-2004 at 06:18 AM.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

a few..

Ratt - OUT OF THE CELLAR. Few did hair metal as well as Ratt did.. early on anyways. I remember seeing their video for "Round and Round" and I just had to have this. Sure, its full of filler, but I love to give a spin every now and then. The opening to "Wanted Man" can still give me chills if I'm in the right mood.

Journey - ESCAPE. Went and saw the movie MONSTER a few weeks back with my wife. I'll never hear "Don't Stop Believing" the same way ever again. *whew* But I still dig "Stone In Love" every so often. Very very strong nostalgia factor with this album. I think that's because I literally wore it out when I was 12 and have hardly listened to it at all since. But when I do I can almost smell the memories from that time in my life...

I know I have more.. like some Bee Gees and lots more bad hair metal ;-)

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Personally, I don't really believe in guilty pleasures. If you like it, you like it. I don't like everything my friends like and I don't expect them to like everything I like. Do I listen to things that friends of mine think is crap? Sure. Am I embarassed because of it? Hell no.

I enjoy quite a few of those listed in your post, guiltfree. I listen to Appetite for Destruction, which rocks like a mf, Dookie once in a while, great example of modern style pop punk, and that Kid Rock disc. I haven't gotten too much into what else he's done, but I really think that was a heck of an album. If I had it, I'd pull out that Beastie Boys disc too.

Kinda hard for me to think of anything I like that I would find emabarassing. I basically have no shame.

Forum Regular

Whew, I feel much better.

I'll bet everyone has stuff in their collection that to some may seem out of place.

Sure the bulk of what I listen to is Punk, post-Punk and Wave type stuff. But I still listen to Dylan, Van, The Who and Rush. Hey, I like Rush! At least I don't listen to Ratt.

Cheers

Jefferson, hoping Jar takes my jab in the spirit it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    I'll bet everyone has stuff in their collection that to some may seem out of place.

Sure the bulk of what I listen to is Punk, post-Punk and Wave type stuff. But I still listen to Dylan, Van, The Who and Rush. Hey, I like Rush! At least I don't listen to Ratt.

Cheers

Jefferson, hoping Jar takes my jab in the spirit it was intended.
    hey man, my LP copy of OUT OF THE CELLAR is right there on the shelf next to PYROMANIA, METAL HEALTH, SCREAMING FOR VENGENCE, BACK IN BLACK and NUMBER OF THE BEAST! (er, umm SHOUT AT THE DEVIL was on tape, but I have that too!!)

-jar

The Replacements

That lobotomy isn't really working out for ya, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    I used to own Sublime's self-titled, but I came to my senses and traded it in for Queens Of The Stone Age.
    Are you insane? No, seriously. Sublime's s/t is like one of the best albums ever (and the debut ain't bad either) but Songs For The Deaf sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before! It makes Audioslave look good, fer Jah's sake

Fvck indie-cred. There are only two kinds of music: stuff I like and stuff I don't like; therefore there's no such animal as a guilty pleasure to me.

~Slosh - this ain't no funky reggae party, $5.00 out the door

Are there albums that you own that you are embarrassed to have in your collection? Albums that have no indie cred? Albums that you've outgrown from a musical perspective...yet still can't fathom selling off? Albums that will elicit an eye-rolling reaction from your musically inclined friends, but you still them find fascinating?
    I was in a silmilar thread on another board last wk, so I guess I'll just cut and paste from it, then run and hide..........

Back in early high school (a loooong time ago), I went through a delusional preiod when I thought Rod McKuen was The Best Poet Ever. During that delusional period, I not only owned all his books, but also two lp's of him mostly reciting verse, but also offering up a coupla songs- Listen To The Warm and Lonesome Cities were the titles of the lp's. Now, I moved on from ole Rodney and those 2 albums eons ago. About 2 months ago, while scrounging in one of the used vinyl shops here, I found a copy of both those lp's for .99/ea and bought 'em without hesitation. Had to wait till my son was gone one night to play them, to avoid personal ridicule. But play them I did, scratches and all, and yup, it took me to that simpler place that was referred to.

You may toss your tomatoes in my direction anytime now.....

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

No Guilt

Congrats on post 100 nobody! You are no longer irregular.

I am in total agreement with you on this. No guilt.

I'm a prog fan ferchrissake! The entire genre is a guilty pleasure in many people's eyes.

I may be the only person that actually listens to Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver" album with any sorta regularity. It has a great analog synth sound pallette. But I can dig that most people think it's a train wreck. Their loss.

Lol!

Post of the week

fp

Forum Regular

In an attempt to provide Jar some much needed cover....

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    hey man, my LP copy of OUT OF THE CELLAR is right there on the shelf next to PYROMANIA, METAL HEALTH, SCREAMING FOR VENGENCE, BACK IN BLACK and NUMBER OF THE BEAST! (er, umm SHOUT AT THE DEVIL was on tape, but I have that too!!)

-jar

I once owned a copy of both Pyromania and Back in Black , its just that I never admitted it in public. The other selections I'm not familiar with, so you're on your own.

Forum Regular
    Almost any artist has their time and place. I have alot of stuff I play depending on who else might be listening and where it is (light jazz, 60's artists greatest hits; C&W), but wouldn't necessarily listen to it on my own.

But, for personal listening and this topic (and to reveal my vintage), I'd have to say a GP for me is Loggins and Messina. Yes, they cut some pretty gruesome mainstream stuff, but it is the longer-playing, well-recorded in-between cuts that I still like so much, and you can find them on their first four studio albums:

Lovin' Me/To Make a Woman Feel Wanted/Peace of Mind; Same Old Wine; Angry Eyes; You Need a Man/Coming to You; Pathway to Glory; Sailing the Wind; Be Free; Changes are a few. I guess I should make myself a comp.....

Pretty accomplished musicians, and they had a Lennon/McCartney thing going with Messina as Lennon keeping Loggins from going off the deep end. Loggins totally s*cks now, and JM is hangin out in the canyons somewhere, I guess.

Bring it on...
    Last edited by jasn; 02-05-2004 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Regular

glooknak

For me:

Foreigner cd's (remasters)

AC/DC

Ozzy

The Fixx

Kansas

Paul McCartney solo albums (like back to the egg)

Bowie "Lets Dance"

Boston

Dave

dld
    Forum Regular
    Wondering how Lets Dance could be considered as guilty pleasure. Just a damn fine hard rocking pop album. I thought It had good songs front to rear. Maybe not eclectic enuf and too mainstream? WTF, still love it

Abba - Arrival.
    Neil Diamond - Hot August Night
    Paul Simon - Hearts and Bones
    Guess Who - Shakin and, Road Food (not their best received but lots of good songs amongst a few stinkers)
    Chicago, II
    Springsteen, Born With The Runs
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Quote Originally Posted by dld
    Wondering how Lets Dance could be considered as guilty pleasure. Just a damn fine hard rocking pop album. I thought It had good songs front to rear. Maybe not eclectic enuf and too mainstream? WTF, still love it

Abba - Arrival.
    Neil Diamond - Hot August Night
    Paul Simon - Hearts and Bones
    Guess Who - Shakin and, Road Food (not their best received but lots of good songs amongst a few stinkers)
    Chicago, II
    Springsteen, Born With The Runs
    How could you possibly consider Hearts & Bones and Springsteen as guilty pleasures???????

Sheesh, dld...............

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Are you insane? No, seriously. Sublime's s/t is like one of the best albums ever (and the debut ain't bad either) but Songs For The Deaf sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before! It makes Audioslave look good, fer Jah's sake
    Uh...NO.

The Sublime album, IMO, was for the most part a load of contrived frat-rock without much to keep it interesting. There were maybe only 6 or 7 songs I found listenable on there. I'll admit that the band's blend of ska, punk, rap, and funk was pretty novel, and that Brad Nowell (I think that's his name) had a great voice. It's a shame he never could find his full potential. I will, however, check out their first album and see if I have any luck with it.

Furthermore, the words "sucks" and "Queens Of The Stone Age" should never be used in the same sentence. I love Songs For The Deaf, and I think it's what more bands should be making these days--an album with songs that all sound different, good songwriting, hooks, inventiveness, and oh yeah, BALLS. None of this lame "retro" bullsh-t. Granted, the radio bits are a bit lame (not to mention copped straight from The Who Sells Out) but that can be forgiven. Rated R, their previous album, is even better IMO.

Audioslave does indeed suck. One lackluster album and way too much f'kin hype.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

we'll never see eye-to-eye on this one

Uh...NO.

The Sublime album, IMO, was for the most part a load of contrived frat-rock without much to keep it interesting. There were maybe only 6 or 7 songs I found listenable on there. I'll admit that the band's blend of ska, punk, rap, and funk was pretty novel, and that Brad Nowell (I think that's his name) had a great voice. It's a shame he never could find his full potential. I will, however, check out their first album and see if I have any luck with it.

Furthermore, the words "sucks" and "Queens Of The Stone Age" should never be used in the same sentence. I love Songs For The Deaf, and I think it's what more bands should be making these days--an album with songs that all sound different, good songwriting, hooks, inventiveness
    Inventiveness and QotSA are words that should never be used together Maybe if they were the only band you ever heard in your life you can say this. A band like Girls Against Boys do what QotSA do, only a thousand-fold greater and with some degree of originality.

Sublime's lyrics are weak, I'll give you that much, but every other aspect of the music is superb. BTW, if you don't like the s/t you'll like 40 oz. to Freedom even less.

NP: June Of 44 - Anahata

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    There are two kinds of music -- the kind I like, and the kind I haven't heard yet.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Inventiveness and QotSA are words that should never be used together Maybe if they were the only band you ever heard in your life you can say this. A band like Girls Against Boys do what QotSA do, only a thousand-fold greater and with some degree of originality.

Sublime's lyrics are weak, I'll give you that much, but every other aspect of the music is superb. BTW, if you don't like the s/t you'll like 40 oz. to Freedom even less.

NP: June Of 44 - Anahata
    wow Slosh, I didn't know you were so hostile to QOTSA! :-)

That's ok, I'm not the hugest fan in the world, and even though even their debut isn't extremely "inventive" - it rocks righteously in my opinion, and at least half of R does too.

But hey.. those guys also did BLUES FOR THE RED SUN and SKY VALLEY as Kyuss so, they're pretty much gods to me !

-jar

The Replacements

dld
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    How could you possibly consider Hearts & Bones and Springsteen as guilty pleasures???????

Sheesh, dld...............

Those two artists get little respect, generally, here at RR. So by RR standards ( high indeed ), I consider them guilty pleasures. I'd add I've got both artists catalogue give or take maybe 1 or 2 albums.

I'd also add Carly Simon to the list.

And Three Dog Night

And Bachman Turner Overdrive

And Donna Summer

And Thelma Housto,

And Bob James,

Madonna

Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

Meatloaf

Thats enuf for now, lots more where they came from
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

I've said for awhile that at this point, anything I'm like I'm not afraid to admit & therefore am no longer embarrassed by. If I have it, then there's a reason why I either still like it or once did enough to keep it, and I can usually explain why, as if someone were to take a look at my collection & say something like, 'ha ha ha, what are you doing with all those Beatles albums! They were the worst band of all time!' So:

Are there albums that you own that you are embarrassed to have in your collection?

No.

Albums that have no indie cred?

Too many to list here.

Albums that you've outgrown from a musical perspective...yet still can't fathom selling off?

Not quite as many, though there are of course plenty I don't listen to as much as I used to, some of which haven't aged all that well.

Albums that will elicit an eye-rolling reaction from your musically inclined friends, but you still find them fascinating?

I don't care what them creeps think.

I liked a few of yr selections:

Guns 'N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction
    Green Day: Dookie
    Beastie Boys: Licensed To Ill

Three of my big faves, actually. I've probably listened to Licensed To Ill as much as any single album (might've heard the first Violent Femmes album a few hundred more times, though). That you would consider any of these 'guilty pleasures' is actually kinda puzzling to me, as I think that they all still hold up very well, & were great great great in their day. If anything's aged, it's Licensed To Ill, actually. Hell, I like Rumours, too--but I could see thinking of that as a guilty pleasure more than these three.

Funny that you've got Dream Theater & Licensed To Ill in the same post...I went to high school with both Rick Rubin (who I didn't know), & Mike Portnoy (who I did). Kinda funny that these two guys went on put out music that was for the most part complete opposites (notwithstanding Rubin's production of bands like Slayer & other metal bands). Friends of mine, including a longtime bandmate, played in a hardcore punk band with Rubin in the early 80s--the Pricks. I've never seen Rubin take a guitar credit, but I think most of the playing on Licensed To Ill is actually him. Pretty sure of that, actually--not the Kerry King solo, of course, but I'm sure he played that riff on 'No Sleep To Brooklyn'--and those guitar parts were definitely not sampled, at least not most of 'em (Custard Pie & Down On The Corner, at the end of Time To Get Ill, might've been, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head that sounded sampled). Did the riff on 'Brooklyn' come from another tune? It was one of the few on the rec I wouldn't be able to identify.

Oh, and give Sublime another chance. I had a couple of collections that were pretty marginal, but I'm with Slosh on this one--their self-titled album is very, very good. Before I heard their stuff I was suspicious, because their fan base seemed to be criminally trendy, but unlike a lot of the 'alternative' music of the day that was extremely popular, when I actually heard the album I thought it was a damn good piece of work, still do. The sampling of 'Summertime' is a masterstroke; the raps on 'Garden Grove' & April 29, 1992 (Miami) are both great, & 'What I Got' is just a great pop song. Anything else I'd steer clear of, but that's a mighty fine rec.

I don't like others.

Lightbulb Questions, answers, opinions

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Funny that you've got Dream Theater & Licensed To Ill in the same post...I went to high school with both Rick Rubin (who I didn't know), & Mike Portnoy (who I did). Kinda funny that these two guys went on put out music that was for the most part complete opposites (notwithstanding Rubin's production of bands like Slayer & other metal bands). Friends of mine, including a longtime bandmate, played in a hardcore punk band with Rubin in the early 80s--the Pricks. I've never seen Rubin take a guitar credit, but I think most of the playing on Licensed To Ill is actually him. Pretty sure of that, actually--not the Kerry King solo, of course, but I'm sure he played that riff on 'No Sleep To Brooklyn'--and those guitar parts were definitely not sampled, at least not most of 'em (Custard Pie & Down On The Corner, at the end of Time To Get Ill, might've been, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head that sounded sampled). Did the riff on 'Brooklyn' come from another tune? It was one of the few on the rec I wouldn't be able to identify..
    Were you friends with Mr. Portnoy by any chance? Or did your conflicting musical philosophies rule that out? ; P

Anyway, now that you mention it, I'm not sure who did the riff on "No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn." It sounds like it was recorded live in a studio, not sampled. The solo, as you mentioned, is definitely Kerry--his bullsh-t trem bar-riding style gives him away immediately. However the rhythm riff is probably one of three things--a Kerry overdub, Rubin himself, or maybe Slayer's rhythm guitarist Jeff Hanneman. If it is Rubin, than I complement him on his mean axework. His experience with the Pricks must've paid off.

If I'm totally wrong (which I doubt) and it did in fact come from another tune, it most likely came from a Slayer song. Since I'm not a Slayer fan at all (metalhead heresy, I know : P) I wouldn't know exactly where it came from.

Oh yeah, and those are definitely samples at the end of "Time To Get Ill."

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Oh, and give Sublime another chance. I had a couple of collections that were pretty marginal, but I'm with Slosh on this one--their self-titled album is very, very good. Before I heard their stuff I was suspicious, because their fan base seemed to be criminally trendy, but unlike a lot of the 'alternative' music of the day that was extremely popular, when I actually heard the album I thought it was a damn good piece of work, still do. The sampling of 'Summertime' is a masterstroke; the raps on 'Garden Grove' & April 29, 1992 (Miami) are both great, & 'What I Got' is just a great pop song. Anything else I'd steer clear of, but that's a mighty fine rec.
    Funny, you named most of the songs I liked on there. I also liked "Wrong Way" and "Santeria," but both of those got plenty of radio time (on my local stations at least) and I soon got tired of them. The rest of the album was filler. Moreover I was also sick of every backwards-cap Abercrombie-wearing beefhead fratboy saying "SUBLIME ROOLZ!!!" especially when most of the chuckfu-ks are stoned out of their gourds or watching football games while the album is playing anyway.

Were you friends with Mr. Portnoy by any chance? Or did your conflicting musical philosophies rule that out? ; P

Not really friends, though we got along fine. I was two grades ahead of him if I remember correctly. But we were classmates in Hebrew School (yes), and played in the school band in Jr. High & HS also. At the time I actually didn't know much beyond the Beatles & Rolling Stones, Who & Led Zeppelin. He & his friends were into stuff like Rush & Van Halen (who I eventually discovered also). It strikes me now that while I got into AC/DC around that time, I don't think those guys were into them--though they were 'heavy,' they liked busier stuff, I guess. On a school band trip in Jr. High Mike had a Zappa tape--Sheik Yerbouti. Ever hear 'Broken Hearts Are For @$$holes?' I thought it was hilarious. I thought about it recently & wondered which was odder, that kids our age (they were 12/13, I was 14) were listening to stuff like that, or that songs like that (which do seem like they're meant to appeal to 14-year-old boys so they can giggle about it) were being recorded by a guy who was near 40 years old at the time.

Anyway, now that you mention it, I'm not sure who did the riff on "No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn." It sounds like it was recorded live in a studio, not sampled.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure that most of the guitar playing on the record is. I think that the part that's lifted from War's 'Low Rider' for 'Slow Ride' was played live also.

The solo, as you mentioned, is definitely Kerry--his bullsh-t trem bar-riding style gives him away immediately.

Ha! I wouldn't know. If you'd told me at the time that it was the guy from Voivod or Venom or Metallica or Megadeth or any of those sorts of bands I would never have been able to tell the difference. I still wouldn't be able to tell. The thing is, he was credited prominently on the album, & it was known at the time that RR was producing a Slayer record. The guy was in the video, also, playing the solo.

However the rhythm riff is probably one of three things--a Kerry overdub, Rubin himself, or maybe Slayer's rhythm guitarist Jeff Hanneman. If it is Rubin, than I complement him on his mean axework. His experience with the Pricks must've paid off.

Unless I'm horribly off, RR played most of the guitar on the album, so I don't see why he'd have someone else play a part that sounds like most of the rest of the guitar work on the album...with the same exact guitar sound as the rest of the album. Mean axework? Surely you jest. I'm told he was a good player--but if I were judging strictly by the playing on that record, which was done strictly to inject a white-boy guitar rock sensibility to rap music, I'd say it makes Johnny Ramone sound like Django Reinhardt.

If I'm totally wrong (which I doubt) and it did in fact come from another tune, it most likely came from a Slayer song. Since I'm not a Slayer fan at all (metalhead heresy, I know : P) I wouldn't know exactly where it came from.

It sounds like something simple, not like a Slayer song. It's just a simple riff, using 5 chords in a 3-chord figure. Barre chords. Like 'Fight For Your Right,' I'm sure it was written specifically for that record.

Oh yeah, and those are definitely samples at the end of "Time To Get Ill."

Yeah...thought so. I think that 'Slow & Low' features a sample, also. That had been a B-side previously--the She's On It single. Have you ever heard the older 45s? I picked up a bootleg copy of 'Rock Hard' a few years ago. I'd been looking for that for YEARS. It was IMPOSSIBLE to find. It's the Beasties--when RR was their DJ--rapping over AC/DC's Back In Black. It kinda stinks, except it's great.

I don't like others.

BLECH! They're everything I hate about heavy rock

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    wow Slosh, I didn't know you were so hostile to QOTSA! :-)
    Hey, if I wanted to listen to Foo Fighters...
    wait a sec. Why the hell would I ever want to do that?

NP: GvsB - You Can't Fight What You Can't See (fine music for 6:00 AM )

Forum Regular

Talking You guys are wussies

For real guilty pleasure you need to dig out your Abba, Phil Collins, Geoff Love & his Orchestra, Shirley Bassey, Billy Idol, The Carpenters, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, I've got loads of stuff like that.

Some of my favourites are the Capitol Ultralounge discs lots of cheesy easy listening fodder.

Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular

AC/DC the money making music machine

Speaking of AC/DC,

This AM I played the newly re-re-re-re-re-remaster of Back in Black.

Reading the liner notes while I drove, this band sold in excess of 11 MILLION copies of this stupid album!

Good lord!

I guess they made it big, huh.

Never saw that band, had plenty of chances.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information