Forum Regular

Finally got my Yes dvd back

One of my kids destroyed my Yessymphonic dvd, disc 1 of the 2 disc set. I got a import copy of disc 1 off of ebay for 9 beans, way great price.

A good concert dvd, but Jon's vocals are kind of weak and it's kind of a sterile performance, but still pretty cool nevertheless.

Seeing them with an orchestra is different. I saw the tour with the ASO behind them and it was quite good.

Dave

Forum Regular

I've Always Had a Nagging Feeling About Yes Live...

"A good concert dvd, but Jon's vocals are kind of weak and it's kind of a sterile performance, but still pretty cool nevertheless."

I'm too young to have seen Yes back in the 70s but every time I come back from a Yes concert, the word "sterile" seems to describe the performance. I've only seen them 4 times and on one occasion they were excellent, but I'm always hoping for something more akin to "Yessongs" which is probably unfair given the band's age. I saw them last year in Lowell, MA and it seemed to me they were going through the motions.

BTW, I would NEVER post this at Prognet for fear of starting a flame war!

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    They were not sterile when i saw them in either LB or the Forum and a giant lillypad open and they were inside. When i got that DVD although some of the songs are boring,i came away thinking,dam he sounds the same,great.
    Look & Listen

It's just like the McCartney at the superbowl thing. The Stones? Yeesh, pathetic lack of spark there too.

They are OLD. Too old to rock and roll . . . etc. They can't sustain the energy. They have performed these songs WAY too many times.

Oh, you can LISTEN to it when your old, you just shouldn't perform it.

They will continue as long as their audience keeps coming and won't let go of the past.

It's sad, but it's just a fact of life.

Rock is a young person's game.

Forum Regular
    The dvd is their most sterile performance I have ever seen, I have seen them live maybe 10 times and always love them.

On a different note, Ian Anderson from Tull has been forever my favorite frontman, his rapport with the audience is 2nd to none.

Another good Yes video is the HOB one shot in Vegas w/ Sherwood where they hit a bunch of The Ladder toons. Pretty good and unsterile.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    It's just like the McCartney at the superbowl thing. The Stones? Yeesh, pathetic lack of spark there too.

They are OLD. Too old to rock and roll . . . etc. They can't sustain the energy. They have performed these songs WAY too many times.

Oh, you can LISTEN to it when your old, you just shouldn't perform it.

They will continue as long as their audience keeps coming and won't let go of the past.

It's sad, but it's just a fact of life.

Rock is a young person's game.
    How full of it are you.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    The dvd is their most sterile performance I have ever seen, I have seen them live maybe 10 times and always love them.

On a different note, Ian Anderson from Tull has been forever my favorite frontman, his rapport with the audience is 2nd to none.

Another good Yes video is the HOB one shot in Vegas w/ Sherwood where they hit a bunch of The Ladder toons. Pretty good and unsterile.

Dave
    Saw Tull 3 times. Not so hot now and i wish some remastered cd's like Benifit would come out and a good best of. Late 60's he was on it.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Dude,

all the old Tulls have been remastered, I have them all, and they are excellent.

Dave

Benifit,couldnt ever find it remastered,only A Lung.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    How full of it are you.
    LOL.

Why am I wrong?

I've seen all these bands in the 70s AND the 90s/00s (except the Stones). There really IS no comparison.

Ian Anderson IS NOT the same performer he was in the 70s. He's just as funny, smart and glib, but he physically and vocally can't do it anymore.

You can tell me I'm full of it, but tell me WHY I'm full of it.

Ian Anderson IS NOT the same performer he was in the 70s. He's just as funny, smart and glib, but he physically and vocally can't do it anymore.
    Too bad he lost his voice, back in '84 wasn't it. Or was it '81, I can't remember. Anyway, he's slowly regained some of his old form back but his voice will never be anywhere near those classic years.

But I gotta disagree, physically the man is in top shape. The band is still touring and with a fairly rigorous schedule I might add. Both Ian and Martin are actively busy (and touring) with their own side projects. Martin is in top notch health as well I might add. He is an avid runner and frequently writes articles for magazines promoting health and fitness.

I saw them a year ago last August and it was an excellent show. Ian was full of energy and vitality. The band's performance was nothing but professional and far from "just going through the motions". It was simply a great show. I don't understand why you say he can't physically do it anymore.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

LOL.

Why am I wrong?

I've seen all these bands in the 70s AND the 90s/00s (except the Stones). There really IS no comparison.

You can tell me I'm full of it, but tell me WHY I'm full of it.
    Hell they still have it but not the same as 30 years ago and if you expect that then its going to suck. I expect to see them not hitting those same notes and so on. I get just what i expect from Clapton,PM,Tull,Chicago,Yes, all those old guys. I've seen Clapton on taped concerts and Chicago in the last year and they still had plenty left. EJ still not bad,i miss those notes he doesnt hut but he still can rock. I get just what i expect from a 50 something year old. You are right for sure,they are not that 70's band anymore. Kinda like an old film you've watched a few hundred times from the 50's and then you seen that actor on a talk show and woner,what the hell happen?LOL
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    I saw them a year ago last August and it was an excellent show. Ian was full of energy and vitality. The band's performance was nothing but professional and far from "just going through the motions". It was simply a great show. I don't understand why you say he can't physically do it anymore.
    Anderson does not work the stage like he used to. There is very little running around, very little flailing/throwing the flute and general active showmanship. He more stands there and delivers the song.

There is very little interaction with the band as well. It used to be an ensemble with each band member playing a role. Now these guys play their parts quietly in the background. The other members clearly ARE going thru the motions while Anderson struggles to act 25. Sad, really.

It's not the same band and you're deluding yourself if you think it is.

And it's just attributed to age. Not meant as a slight on the band, it's a fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Kinda like an old film you've watched a few hundred times from the 50's and then you seen that actor on a talk show and woner,what the hell happen?LOL
    Exactly. So when you see that actor that used to do action movies in his 20s still doing action movies in his 50s, it's a joke, right? Just like the rockstar thing, it's a young person's gig.

That "it" that all those guys you mentioned had 30 years ago was what made them good. You lose your "it" (or mojo if you like) as you get older and you're left with an old guy pretending to have "it".

And watching them is an audience desperately clinging to it's own lost youth. Seen it with my own eyes looking at the crowd at these shows.

I didnt say anything about a 20 year old doing action flicks. I guess the old guys and the new bands have alot in common,cant sign.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Kinda like the McCartney gig during the superbowl. Ho Hum, yawn.

An old worn out dude singing old, worn out songs.

Benefit is remastered, most big name retailers have it, or Amazon dot com.

Dave

Thanks,i'll look for it.
    Look & Listen

It's not the same band and you're deluding yourself if you think it is.

And it's just attributed to age. Not meant as a slight on the band, it's a fact of life.
    Of course it's not the same band. I know that silly.

I'm just a fanboy who still enjoys seeing them when they come around. Who still thinks it's good entertainment value.

Obviously, you don't.

To each their own.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Of course it's not the same band. I know that silly.

I'm just a fanboy who still enjoys seeing them when they come around. Who still thinks it's good entertainment value.
    Haven't been called silly in a while . . .

LOL, yeah. knock yourself out dood. The last thing I'm doing is judging you or anyone else. Being a PITA geezer myself, I hardly have a leg to stand on. Just making observations.

Forum Regular
    Tull rules.

Genesis ruled.

Kansas ruled.

The Flower Kings rule.

Yes ruled/rules.

Arena rules.

IQ rules.

These are a few of my favorite things.

Dave

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    One of my kids destroyed my Yessymphonic dvd, disc 1 of the 2 disc set. I got a import copy of disc 1 off of ebay for 9 beans, way great price.

A good concert dvd, but Jon's vocals are kind of weak and it's kind of a sterile performance, but still pretty cool nevertheless.

Seeing them with an orchestra is different. I saw the tour with the ASO behind them and it was quite good.

Dave
    I just love this music so much that really i don,t care if they do not jump run or whatever a young rocker will do. another thing i couldn't see them at their prime so the only three perfomances i have seen ( Talk, Open your eyes and the 35th) were all of the magical.
    Hope to see Tull one of this days

Thread Information