PPG

Elf Pee's Mystery Disc

Just a couple of initial comments (got the disc yesterday, thanks, FP). This music is feel-good melodic pop that sounds like something you'd hear on the soundtrack of a teen movie, those type of songs that play during the closing credits but never seem go much further than that. The guy has a voice that's pleasant and reminds me of someone else I can't put a finger on, but that's the problem- he's indistinquisable from many others in this genre. On the plus side, the compositions are consistently melodic throughout so I am interested in finding out who this is - he shows a lot of potential. I tried to do a search on All Music with a couple of song titles, but couldn't find a match. Rating - * * *

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    My guess is that it's The Monkees.

Finch, you continue to surprise me. Do you like this band? I've only given it one spin and it's not that I didn't like it, it's just that it was a little.... girly, even for me. It was pleasant enough and had some catchy tunes. But, it's not quite what I would expect from you. It is what I would expect to hear on the local Easy Rock station.

I'll be giving it a few more spins, but I suspect that I'll tire of this one pretty quickly.

Thanks, guy and gal.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    My guess is that it's The Monkees.

Finch, you continue to surprise me. Do you like this band? I've only given it one spin and it's not that I didn't like it, it's just that it was a little.... girly, even for me. It was pleasant enough and had some catchy tunes. But, it's not quite what I would expect from you. It is what I would expect to hear on the local Easy Rock station.

I'll be giving it a few more spins, but I suspect that I'll tire of this one pretty quickly.
    For some reason, this disc struck a chord in me. I don't know why, but it catches my ears and I just want to play it over and over and over.

Maybe cuz it only cost fitty cents? ;0)

Appreciate the reviews.

ep

Good god, you LIKE this and you call the last disc I sent you turgid? This is really lactose intolerant Velveeta bloat corporate pop toons for suburban 14 year old girls, man!

Is it the new "Baby's" album?

I have a CD by the band "Human Radio" from the early 90s. They had a minor radio hit with "Me and Elvis" and the sound is similar, but a lot more "we KNOW it's saccarine, but we'll throw you a few loops" which this misery disc does not. Ditto the similarly poppy yet much better "The Samples".

The other disc you sent me is a blast tho. So THANKS for that one. This one's a coaster.

I get the feeling that you're holding back...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Good god, you LIKE this and you call the last disc I sent you turgid? This is really lactose intolerant Velveeta bloat corporate pop toons for suburban 14 year old girls, man!

I have a CD by the band "Human Radio" from the early 90s. They had a minor radio hit with "Me and Elvis" and the sound is similar, but a lot more "we KNOW it's saccarine, but we'll throw you a few loops" which this misery disc does not. Ditto the similarly poppy yet much better "The Samples".

The other disc you sent me is a blast tho. So THANKS for that one. This one's a coaster.
    Let it go man, tell us what you really think!

Well, I actually know who the artist is. How scary is that? I believe that there are clues to be had but that's another matter. I don't know if this will constitute my review but I can see how everyone came to their conclusions. I'm kind of torn down the middle. It seems a bit lite, something like a male version of Hoku. On the other hand I've made no secret about the fact that there is something about the two Hoku singles that I have that appeals to me so I know of what Finch boy speaks. I haven't had too much time to focus on this disc due to time constraints but of my first spin, the Hoku similarity was immediate and lasting. Of course she seems to do a lot of movie soundtrack songs...

Thanks for the disceses Finchie.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Heh heh...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy

I figured this sounds like the Lightning Seeds, and there were a few people in here who liked 'em, so wtf.

I only sent it to you, Troy (besides retaliation purposes ;0) cuz it's a one man band kinda thing, and I thought it might inspire you.

See if I send anyone ANYTHING any more!!! *pout* ...Hey- who wants a copy of my Babys comp???

Jim- feel free to reveal if you know who it is. I'm curious to find out if you really know.

ep

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I only sent it to you, Troy (besides retaliation purposes ;0) cuz it's a one man band kinda thing, and I thought it might inspire you.
    You referring to Budderball here (you eyerolling sumbeech)?

Sounds like garage Primus.

And quit pouting. I though you wanted/expected me to slaughter that disc.

Nope.

[QUOTE=Troy]You referring to Budderball here (you eyerolling sumbeech)?
    QUOTE]

No, the Gary Wright wanna-be.

ep

Re: the attachment- who has the worse comb-over???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elf Pee's Mystery Disc-nyet11504291440.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I figured this sounds like the Lightning Seeds, and there were a few people in here who liked 'em, so wtf.

See if I send anyone ANYTHING any more!!! *pout* ...Hey- who wants a copy of my Babys comp???

Jim- feel free to reveal if you know who it is. I'm curious to find out if you really know.

ep
    Dood, you got a copy of one of the tracks on the companion comp you sent along. The name's right there! Anyone paying attention can figure it out. The only potentially tricky thing is that the tracklist for the comp is messed up (intentional?). Still, given the fact that a distinctive track is immediately before the one in question it was pretty simple to figure out.

To be honest, I kinda like it at first couple of listens. Thanks.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Companion Comp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Dood, you got a copy of one of the tracks on the companion comp you sent along. The name's right there! Anyone paying attention can figure it out. The only potentially tricky thing is that the tracklist for the comp is messed up (intentional?). Still, given the fact that a distinctive track is immediately before the one in question it was pretty simple to figure out.

To be honest, I kinda like it at first couple of listens. Thanks.

jc
    My mystery disk didn't come with a companion. My mystery disk is soooooo lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    My mystery disk didn't come with a companion. My mystery disk is soooooo lonely.
    Oops, didn't mean to stir things up.

jc

Thread Information