Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Could I have some cheese with my whine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I don't think that even the staunchest Flyers fanatic would seriously argue that the officiating has favored the Hawks in this series overall, or that officiating was the difference in last night's game.

The better, faster, more aggressive and more athletic team won last night. They controlled the puck, they controlled the pace, and they dealt some powerful hits. And Pronger never showed up. End of story.

Bring on game 6!!!
    It was a horrible game for the Flyers.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    My choice of beer last night did nothing to ease the pain.

I was drinking Founder's Double Trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    My choice of beer last night did nothing to ease the pain.
    It's an awesome double IPA with an ABV of 9.6%, so a few of those and you're feeling no pain. It some expensive shit at about $60 a case, but it's worth it to me. Most pubs charge about $5 for a decent pint, sometimes more, so paying less than $3 per bottle is no big deal.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Suspended
    For whatever reason, beer variety doesn't exist down here the way it does up North.

I am very nervous about tonites game. The home team trend needs to continue one last time, and only one last time.

Suspended
    I am reeeeally uncomfortable with the direction this thread...err... game is going.

This Rangers fan is glad to see this. Sorry, Swish.

I don't like others.

Anyone who busts my balls over this better hide.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I will seek you out and kick the shit out of you. Sorry J.

C-Z
    Forum Regular

How 'bout those Hawks!!!!

I was six when the Hawks last won, with Bobby Hull etc. Back then the hardest sports ticket to score in town was by far the Blackhawks. Great to see them win - fun team to watch. Flyers were impressive in the playoffs, no doubt, but I think the better team won here (really outshot them in this final game also), but not all that much better - close, fun series. Some pretty lame Flyers fans at the end, though - booing the Hawks, and MVP Toews, not putting that much gusto in cheering their own team when Bettman (sp?) tried to get some applause for them in the post game ceremony - a (hopefully) small group of fans further building up the poor reputation that Philly sports fans have. I do like the Flyers team, and hope they parlay this into success next season, unless they play the Hawks again, that is!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Howya feelin' these fine days G-Swishy?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    No shame in Philly losing - they overachieved all the way and won a lot of respect. If they could ever find the elusive NHL starting goalie they would be a heavyweight contender.

Weird series. Philly had some good and bad games, but Chicago never really seemed to bring their A game the whole way and still won. Rare that that happens.

Danny Briere might be the undeniable, undisputed biggest diver in the history of the game of hockey, but he was pretty clutch in the playoffs this year and has paid back a few years of his brutal contract. Not many guys up their game and numbers in the playoffs. Briere always seems to.

Did I hear Toews played with a fractured foot?

CFP...might have cost them the last two games.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Howya feelin' these fine days G-Swishy?
    How are you feeling sticky B? This is your first post in a month, and you didn't respond to my PM back to yours... a month ago.

Suspended
    What they need is instant replay on some of the lousy officiating that went on in this final series. You never knew what they would call from game to game. Both sides got hit with bogus calls last night for sure. The GT Interference call on Chicago was a joke as the guy did everything humanly possible to fall backwards and he barely touched Leighton.

But, I'm from Philly and a Flyers fan! It was great to see them get to where they were and not just choke in the first or second round.

These were some of the 6 most exciting edge of the seat games I have seen for a while and the Flyers looked like they belonged there unlike the last trip getting swept by Detroit.

The Flyers have nothing to be ashamed of coming in second place and taking it to overtime in game 6.

Auntie-M should have got the trophy! He also should get Rookie of the Year. The guy is like a spastic hawk. He is able to see through bodies and although he flounders a bit, he does not have the dreaded 5 hole Leighton has.

Congrats to Chicago, they were the luckier team last night because you all know that the Flyers can come back from almost anything this year.

That's been blown out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Z
    Some pretty lame Flyers fans at the end, though - booing the Hawks, and MVP Toews, not putting that much gusto in cheering their own team when Bettman (sp?) tried to get some applause for them in the post game ceremony - a (hopefully) small group of fans further building up the poor reputation that Philly sports fans have.
    When Laperiere got hit in the head and was gushing blood during the NJ series, some of their fans were cheering. Nice. I've been to Shea numerous times when I lived in NJ, and saw some of the worst behaved fans I've ever seen. Fights would break out every 5 minutes or so. I've been to Flyers and Eagles games, and there are always a few idiots, but Philly fans are no worse than most other major metro city fans. Heck, the Chicago fans are guilty of cheering through our National Anthem, which is nearly treason.

Yes, the Flyers played better in the playoffs than in the regular season but the magic wore off toward the end. Carter had an easy shot to win it and took the collar, and he was pretty much worthless in the playoffs. He is their leading scorer, but he also takes way too many shots (led the league I believe) when he could carry it in deep and set up a play instead of firing a perimeter shot that any goalie can stop without any trouble.

Why so much hate for the Flyers?

Oh, because they knocked the Rangers out in the last game of the season. I have a friend who's a big Rangers fan and he thinks of the Flyers as the enemy. Oh well.

42 Regular
    My observations:

1. First and foremost, HOW 'BOUT THEM HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. No one can say they didn't earn this cup. The first series, against Nashville, was twice as hard as anyone expected. The Canucks brought attitude, great goal-tending, and more than a little bad blood in the second round. The Sharks held home-ice advantage in the semis. But the Flyers flat-out brought it... night after night. They stretched themselves to get into the playoffs, they overachieved throughout the post-season, and their fans should be proud.

3. That final goal was one of the strangest moments I've ever seen in sports, and definitely a weird-ass way to end a season. Kane was the only person in the entire building who knew that was a goal, even 5 seconds afterward.

4. Some would question the Conn Smythe trophy going to Toews, since he had a less-than-stellar finals. But 29 post-season points is nothing to sneeze at. More to the point, he does all the little things that help teams win games. And the ONE big thing that wins championships... leadership. He's only 22, and (barring serious injury) his arrow is pointing upward for the next 5 years or more.

5. MVP for the series? Either Briere or Hartnell. No doubt about it. Hell, maybe even that Leino kid.

6. Antti Niemi came up big when he had to. That save with 1:30 left in the third was, arguably, the biggest play in the series.

7. Overall it was a really enjoyable series to watch, with tons of excitement in all 6 games. The first period last night was non-stop aggressive play, and I think it took a lot out of both teams toward the end of the second. The third period was ragged and sloppy, especially by the Hawks. But all's well that ends well !

8. Tickertape parade on Michigan Ave. tomorrow morning!!!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    3. That final goal was one of the strangest moments I've ever seen in sports, and definitely a weird-ass way to end a season. Kane was the only person in the entire building who knew that was a goal, even 5 seconds afterward.
    You can say that again! It looked like even the officials were discussing whether the puck had gone in or not. What a weird way to end the series.

There's a little more to it, Swish. The Rangers didn't really deserve to make the playoffs, and I don't think I've ever seen a fourth line carry a team as much as theirs did down the stretch. Actually, it's more about that nobody expects to see a 7 seed vs. an 8 seed playing for the conference championship.

Everyone loves an underdog, and there's usually a good upset story every year. But in the end, if my team's not involved, I usually want to see the teams that seem to be the best competing. Obviously neither Pittsburgh nor the Capitals can be considered the best if they were eliminated, but who really didn't want to see those teams meet, especially after the Olympics?

I know the game isn't played on paper, but Chicago was a 2 seed, right? Vs. a 7 seed that needed a shootout to get past an overpaid group of malcontents who without their fourth line would've been booking April golf outings a month in advance?

I watched a Pitt at Wash Sun 12 noon game before the Olympics, when the blizzard had just hit. Ovechkin was the best player in the league; I'm shocked how quickly and by how much he seems to have eclipsed Crosby for that title. Means nothing now, of course, but I do like to see those guys go at it, particularly with something at stake. Ovechkin was never the same after the Canadians beat the crap out of the Russians in the Olympics, was he? Still, I looked forward to that matchup for months.

The Flyers run reminded me a bit of the Minnesota North Stars in 1991, only more improbable. Beating the Devils didn't surprise me, and I don't want to take anything away from them, but Montreal knocking out the Caps & Pens yet not being able to get past the Flyers is just one of those quirks of the playoffs. The Cup is still the best tournament in any pro sport, for me. And I'd still say that even if Montreal had continued its Cinderella march past Philadelphia only to fall to the Hawks, underdog romance be damned.

No, I don't like the Flyers, but it's nothing like how I feel about the Red Sox, and specifically rooting against any team, while occasionally fun, is sophomoric at best. The bottom line is, the better team won, and that was a rarity in the playoffs this year, more so than I think we'll ever see again.

I don't like others.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    How are you feeling sticky B? This is your first post in a month, and you didn't respond to my PM back to yours... a month ago.

I was advised by legal counsel to stay away from these here internets for awhile. Evidently up here in the Land of Filth and Bunnies there's a limit to the amount of weapons a character can carry in the back of his truck without engaging the interests of the local gendarmerie. ..clearly not as "enlightened" as in your neck of the woods.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Carter... was pretty much worthless in the playoffs.
    Hey Swish - congrats on a great run. How's Hershey doing? I'm actually just as pissed that the Hamilton Bulldogs (Habs farm team) got eliminated the night after the Flyers took out the Habs.

Just wanted to ask you, if you were the GM, do you try to trade Carter for maybe a legit #1goaltender? I'm thinking if the Flyers have Halak, they just might win that series - and he wouldn't be too expensive, given the Flyers cap issues.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

The Hershey Bears are doing GRRRRRRRRRREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Hey Swish - congrats on a great run. How's Hershey doing? I'm actually just as pissed that the Hamilton Bulldogs (Habs farm team) got eliminated the night after the Flyers took out the Habs.

Just wanted to ask you, if you were the GM, do you try to trade Carter for maybe a legit #1goaltender? I'm thinking if the Flyers have Halak, they just might win that series - and he wouldn't be too expensive, given the Flyers cap issues.
    After losing the first two at home, they won 3 in a row down in Austin (hockey in Austin? Really?), including last night's OT win. Now they have a chance to win their second consecutive Calder Cup at home. They set all sorts of AHL records this year; most points in a season, most home wins (34). most overall wins (57), and they rightfully deserve the cup.

I used to LOVE this team until their affiliation with the Flyers ended and they went to the Capitals. I still cheer them on but it's not quite the same.

As for next season, I'm not sure you get rid of Carter. He's like the Allen Iverson of the Flyers. A very good player who scores a lot, but could he be less selfish and help the team even more? He's big, a fast skater and decent puck-handler, along with being their top scorer. But, they do need a top quality goalie, and Emery ain't the guy. They are reportedly interested in Vokoun from Florida, and A guy on their AHL club (Backstrum or something like that).

They have so much young talent, but I would hate to see them get rid of Giroux or Reimsdyk, so maybe Carter is the guy? Retaining Coburn is also a top priority as he'll be a restricted free agent, as will Carcillo, but I have a feeling he will be history.
    Last edited by Swish; 06-12-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Guilty as charged.

Specifically rooting against any team, while occasionally fun, is sophomoric at best. .
    I do that all the time, especially with the Cowboys, the Steelers, the Penguins and the Yankees. There are a few others, but those are my 'most hated' for sure. My favorite teams are the ones playing those four.

Yes, the goalie situation is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Well...good...

...but the Flyers shouldn't. In the interests of brevity I'll not recount all my reasoning save to say that I agree powerfully with the word "overachievers" and Kex's comment on goalies...since Hextall it's pretty much been a litany of AHL cast-offs and sub-stars. They can be proud of the run they put together.

I loved seeing the Hawks win. Not just because i love that city but it's clear that this version of Chicago's team is one made up of quality individuals on and off the ice.Good deal for the kids and a wily veteran or two...I loved watching JR get all emotional-lika at the end too...some allegiances never die.
    But they could find someone new this year as #1 and keep a couple of the current lineup as back-ups.

Having some bone issues dude? No, not that bone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information