Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
Well...good...

...but the Flyers shouldn't. In the interests of brevity I'll not recount all my reasoning save to say that I agree powerfully with the word "overachievers" and Kex's comment on goalies...since Hextall it's pretty much been a litany of AHL cast-offs and sub-stars. They can be proud of the run they put together.

I loved seeing the Hawks win. Not just because i love that city but it's clear that this version of Chicago's team is one made up of quality individuals on and off the ice.Good deal for the kids and a wily veteran or two...I loved watching JR get all emotional-lika at the end too...some allegiances never die.
I can't say I agree with the Flyers as overachievers sentiment, despite their less-than elite goaltending. I think they have the best top-4 defencemen in the East - and by quite a fair distance. They also have as much depth at centre as any team in the East, with the exception of Pittsburgh, and the Flyers wingers put Pittsburgh's to shame. Probably more a case of under-achieving during the regular season than over-achieving in the playoffs.

Regarding the West being the stronger conference, of that I thnk there is little doubt. The Flyers regular season points total, and the Habs for than matter too puts them strongly 12th or so if they played in the West, and eliminated from playoff contention around about March 15th. I think the East's recent success in the finals is more a case of the Western rep being worn out from having a much tougher road to get there than their Easter counterpart. When it comes to a one-on -one match-up in hockey, its proven time and time again in the NHL, any team can win, but when you look at the depth of the two conferences there really is no comparison - 5 teams that made the playoffs last year in the West, didn't this year (St.Louis, Columbus, Minnesota, Dallas and Calgary).

As it stands now, I would put the Flyers as co-favorites to come out of the East again next year, especially if they can find the cap room to get a legitimate #1 goaltender in the off-season. If I was their GM I'd make a serious play for Halak. He's proven himself as a big game goalie, he's still relatively cheap, and I think Montreal's management team still leans towards Price because of his youth and size. Though it may come down to which one gets them a bigger return.